POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Denyer »

Heinrad wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:49 pmLarkin’s Lair G2 Megatron Upgrade kit:. While I had gotten the orange piece that let you put the fusion cannon on the shoulder, it still didn’t look quite right. Enter the Larkin’s Lair upgrade kit(this isn’t a paid advertisement, unless somebody wants to send me a check), and the kit is great.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1025741 ... at_1&bes=1

Nice. Shame the kit works out as substantially more than the figure sells for (it's now been marked down by places) and kind of knackers the tank mode. Would be more prepared to pay that price if the parts were cast rather than 3D printed.

https://i.imgur.com/uCDMjdO.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Airrazor and Warpath. Also should have a cheap Doubledealer coming from someone who got a duplicate in the House of Fraser sale.

Which is still on, by the way, but appears to just have voyagers left as far as Earthrise goes. And it's random which one they send.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/searchr ... ansformers

Smyths is also having a sale, a bit off BW Megs, Inferno, etc.

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toy ... SM06010123

Warpath and to a lesser extent Airrazor are very much on the mini-masterpiece end of deluxe class designs, aren't they? Both also make up for being a bit smaller by avoiding some of the hollowness that plagues many current releases.

This is a Warpath that really makes a decent hash of updating the minibot. Airrazor is, well, a bird. No connection with the character personally. But a nice bird sculpt.

edit: Doubledealer update... for an ungainly brick not much different to the original he's charmingly crap. And bizarrely they've included a tiny and eminently swallowable powermaster engine, which is a nice touch.

I'd call it a success for our very limited demographic and a fragile what-the-hell-were-they-thinking mess no kid is going to get at the price. No wonder House of Fraser cleared the Primes and was stuck with these.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

"I ain't gonna say it."

Why not?

"Ya get me a transmetal body yet?"

No. Far as I can tell, nobody's making updated versions of transmetals.

"Then I ain't sayin' slag."

Dinobot looked over the new arrival, arching an eyebrow at the highly polished finish. Then he looked up. "It is a blue car. Truly a terrifying weapon of mass destruction."

For it's part, the blue car made a hffing sound. "I am not having my upholstery bounced upon by a rat from the New York sewers and a featherless..... What are you, anyway, an ostrich?"

Dinobot growled, transforming to robot mode. "OSTRICH!!!!!!"

"Okay, not an ostrich. Either way, I'm not letting you touch my stunning auto mode." The car's engine revved and the Corvette sped away, deploying wings and lifting into the air.

Dinobot watched the car leave, optics widening as the Corvette lifted into the sky. "Hnn. A flying car."

Rattrap, standing on his hind legs, crossed his paws over his chest. "I tol'ja I ain't sayin' it!!!"

War for Cybertron Kingdom Tracks: Thanks to BBTS - and no thanks to FedEx tracking - I now have the Kingdom version of Tracks. And part of me has to admit, the only reason I got him is I really like Tracks. And while he looks great and is a good update of the G1 version, he does have a few problems. Part of it is how loose he is in the legs. It's weird, the top half of the figure is all stiff joints and tolerances, but the bottom half.... it will hold a pose, but just nudging the legs will make them go askew. I know some people have been complaining about how the feet are set up, but it's the same thing the Masterpiece version of Tracks does. What the Kingdom version is missing is the flip out pieces of the front grill to fill the gap between the foot and the rest of the lower leg. Even those don't completely fill the hole, just reduces the size. My big worry is the back of the figure. I've transformed him to vehicle mode once, and getting him back to robot, I was kind of worried that I was going to break something trying to get the roof loose. Will this break over time? Maybe. I could probably look into trimming a tab or two down.

Does this stop me wanting to get Road Rage? No. It's a good mold, good design. If they'd made Tracks and Road Rage voyager class, I think it would have worked better.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom Vertebreak - From Big W, it was a few dollars less during the toy sale.

Siege Blowpipe, Caliburst, Bombshock & Decepticon Growl (Military Patrol) and Buzzworthy Bumblebee / Spike Witwicky.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:48 amI'd call it a success for our very limited demographic and a fragile what-the-hell-were-they-thinking mess no kid is going to get at the price. No wonder House of Fraser cleared the Primes and was stuck with these.
Folded and got the spy patrol cassette re-colours pack to go with Doubledealer.

If he'd come with Knok and Skar I think he'd have justified the original RRP, it's nice being able to switch between them for different modes and weirdly it's an encouragement to actually transform the thing. Haven't had the knee detachment problem others have so far, touch wood.

Also like Wingthing to go with Soundwave. The somewhat disappointing one is Frenzy. He's not bad, just shouldn't be micromaster scale.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Denyer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:26 pmFolded and got the spy patrol cassette re-colours pack to go with Doubledealer.

If he'd come with Knok and Skar I think he'd have justified the original RRP, it's nice being able to switch between them for different modes and weirdly it's an encouragement to actually transform the thing. Haven't had the knee detachment problem others have so far, touch wood.

Also like Wingthing to go with Soundwave. The somewhat disappointing one is Frenzy. He's not bad, just shouldn't be micromaster scale.
My Doubledealer's knee detached because I was mistransforming him. It's not a permanent problem, just a peg sliding out of a joint. But, the sculpt of the leg make it a pain to slide back on. I still have trouble getting the tabs on the feet to slide into the correct slots in the non-bot modes, though.

I finally opened Kingdom Megatron Saturday. I noticed the 5-mm hole inside the T-Rex mouth and wanted to put one of TLK Megatron's fire last effects in there. I borrowed the one I gave Hotlink, and liked the look. But, I didn't want to leave Hotlink with just the dinky little flamethowing Battlemasters he comes with.

So, I spent 3 days searching my house trying to remember what I did with the other one. Eventually, I remembered that gotten a second Blot on clearance, and used that and the flame effect to give Abominus a flamethrower, mounted to his fist Piranacon-style. I hadn't noticed it the several times I looked around that room, since it's too heavy for Abomnius to lift. The flamethrowers was pointed down, with the flame effect resting on the shelf, where it was obscured by another figure.

Since I couldn't remember or notice Abominus' flamethrower, I took it off, gave Megatron the fire effect, and just have a spare Blot. The angle of the 5-mm hole is little too low in T-Rex mode, but perfect on bot mode.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tantrum wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm My Doubledealer's knee detached because I was mistransforming him. It's not a permanent problem, just a peg sliding out of a joint. But, the sculpt of the leg make it a pain to slide back on.
What does yours look like? As far as I can tell the mushroom peg (which does slide slightly) would take force to come off.

https://imgur.com/a/5Tk0TmA
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Denyer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 pm
Tantrum wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm My Doubledealer's knee detached because I was mistransforming him. It's not a permanent problem, just a peg sliding out of a joint. But, the sculpt of the leg make it a pain to slide back on.
What does yours look like? As far as I can tell the mushroom peg (which does slide slightly) would take force to come off.

https://imgur.com/a/5Tk0TmA
That's what mine looks like. The issue seems to be that little lip sticking out around the left half of the light blue part. That lip prevents the black peg from sliding out of the light blue slot during normal use. But, if you forget how to transform him and turn the leg into an unexpected position, the lip no longer covers the black peg, and the peg can slide out. I assume this is how the leg is assembled in the first place.

Once the peg has slid out, the lower leg comes off. Sliding the lower leg back on is a pain. For one thing, that light blue lip is in the way unless you have everything positioned just right. Plus, you're mainly handling the lower leg by the dark blue/green bulk of it, meaning the black peg can rotate if the light blue upper leg pushes on it.

If this happens to me again, I'll probably try removing the screw connecting the lower leg to the black peg, slide the black peg into the light blue upper leg, then reattach the lower leg via the screw.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Kingdom Galvatron
Behold...Galvatron! I was going to hang on for the Selects version because Marvel UK, but decided the extra tenner that costs wasn't worth it (and I don't like the snot green Matrix). Besides which, the purple has always really suited Galvatron and it looks brilliant in person. Mine has the thing with the shoulders, which isn't really a massive problem and I don't mind having the rivet holes facing forward. Figure feels nice and hefty and he has some beef to him, but it's all well proportioned, unlike the TR version. I've transformed him once and the cannon mode is pretty good also. Love the Matrix on a chain, which he wears like a medallion. Don't mind the scuffage and he's a very handsome looking fellow. Only thing I'm not massively fond of are the guns that look like the spaceship from the film. I'd rather have had the blaster, or nothing, really because it's not like Galvatron needs a gun with that massive cannon on his arm.

Siege Red Alert
I'd skipped Red Alert first time around, but thought, 'well, I've five other versions of this mold, so what's another one?'. Looks ace, I like the red striping in vehicle mode, wish he had a black head like the old toy (never really liked the red of the cartoon) and won't be making the 'axe' out of the rifle and light bar. Because it looks shit.

Some Siege Battlemasters the uh, Bird one and Aimless..? Not Blowpipe or Firedrive, anyway
The petrodactyl is disappointingly rubbish next to the cat/ wolf one I have and Blowpipe is alright. Bought from my local Entertainer which I dunno, what's going on with them? They barely stock anything these days. All the Lego's gone to be replaced by 'Lego compatible' brands and they just seem to be selling a lot of the sort of crap you see in B&M and the like. Bobbins.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Skyquake87 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:53 pm Kingdom Galvatron
Only thing I'm not massively fond of are the guns that look like the spaceship from the film. I'd rather have had the blaster, or nothing, really because it's not like Galvatron needs a gun with that massive cannon on his arm.
I'm not sold on the ship guns myself. They're kind of odd. It's like they wanted one for the HasLab Unicron but either didn't get the idea until too late in the process or couldn't make it fit within the mold scheme or parts count constraints. That or it's some weird thing where they add enough extra plastic/parts to Galvatron to meet some internal metric for what they can sell as a leader.

If I had a choice, I'd have ditched the ship guns for a second version of the arm cannon. So that he could have one scaled for alt mode and another for robot mode. Wish they'd do that for anyone with a prominent weapon that tends to be sized differently depending on mode.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Tantrum wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:57 pmIf this happens to me again, I'll probably try removing the screw connecting the lower leg to the black peg, slide the black peg into the light blue upper leg, then reattach the lower leg via the screw.
So, it did happen to me again. On both legs. And it turns out there are 3 screws on each leg that have to come out, not just the one through the black piece. 3 screws that are almost, but not quite, the same length. I know I got them in the right spots on the 2nd leg, but hadn't noticed on the first, so those may be wrong.

Another solution to this problem is to smash Doubledealer to tiny tiny bits with my 4 pound sledge hammer and play with a toy that doesn't suck.

I was transforming Doubledealer to bird mode because I'd just watched Emgo's review of an upgrade kit, and saw how he'd done the bird mode differently. I'd misread the instructions and plugged the tail piece into the bot legs with a couple tabs, than attach the missile to the tail. Emgo attached the missile to the tail first, then clipped the black tabs on the missile into a second set of slots on the bot leg. This results in the tail feathers sticking out behind the bird more, which does look better,

Also, I learned where all 3 screws in each leg are from watching Emgo install the upgrade kits knees. No mention on whether these stay in the slots better, though.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

BW Prowl (Owl), Tarantulas and Animorphs Ax/Scorpion - Tarantulas is a nice solid figure, Prowl as a loose head possibly because of the metal parts and Ax I bought because I'm getting back into the Animorphs books, but less interested in getting many of the tie-in toys.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

G2 Skyjack
When I was a kid I played with toys as old as G1 Thundercracker (thanks, Robot Points!) all the way up to Beast Wars, but G2 is what I have the strongest memories of collecting. And I think it's fair to say that this toy is where Transformers peaked for child me...the first time I handled something that was a Transformer and an action figure. I loved this thing...for about three years, until I'd played with it so much that the hips, elbows and knees barely stayed connected. My new Skyjack came MOSC. It isn't anymore. :) It's nice to be reunited with a childhood favourite, and even nicer to pull it fresh off the card again 26 years(!) after the first one. I've had Universe Air Raid for the last...eighteen years(!!!), so it's not like I've been missing the mold, but there's a lot of good memories attached to this toy.

The F-117 is probably the weakest of the Cyberjet toys, but that's mostly because it's "only" very good when the others are two of the best Transformers of the 90s. The poseability really isn't any different than a modern toy of the same size and the pressure-firing missile gimmick is neat. As a toy, it's lots of fun. As a memento, I'm not sure many could top it.

G2 Strafe
Unlike Skyjack, I didn't even know the Autobot Cyberjets were a thing when I was a kid. I remember my Toys'R'Us having several deep pegs full of Skyjack, Space Case and Hooligan well into the Beast Wars days, which is probably why. He was honestly kind of an afterthought when I bought him, a "What else does the seller have so that I'm not paying this much to ship one toy?" sort of purchase. But I think this might actually be my new favourite Cyberjet. The drab green and bright blue are a great contrast.

Damn, but I love the Cyberjets. I've probably said this before, but if G2 had led off with the Cyberjets, Laser Rods, Dreadwing, Hero Megatron and Optimus instead of a mix of G1 redecos and mediocre 90s Euro molds, I don't think Beast Wars would have ever happened. I say that as someone who really enjoyed the redecos as a kid, but this stuff? This was what you needed to make an impression on new fans instead of just collecting a few bucks from kids who were old enough to watch the cartoon but too young to be getting the toys in 1984/85. An entire line of vehicular toys with the same design sensibilities as these guys would have been amazing. As-is, they're basically a preview of what Kenner wound up doing a year later with animal alt-modes.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Cyberverse Deluxe Soundwave.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I got a couple Deluxes at Walgreen's Saturday.

Kingdom Huffer - Like Bee and Cliffjumper, he's a minibot sold at the Deluxe pricepoint. Unlike them, he's big enough to justify the price. He drawfs PotP Outback. He's a bit shorter than Blackarachnia, but much bulkier, so it feels right to pay the same for them. He comes with a shield, and his gun splits in half, which together turn his truck mode into a kind of dump truck. It's OK, but I'll probably put the shield in a drawer and mount the gun in the hole on the roof. I'm just trying to figure out the purpose of the slot in the shield.

My only complaint is that the hands fold down in alt mode, but don't fold away. They just sit there behind the cab. But, they're black, so they don't stand out. Plus, this means there's no arm hollowness in bot mode.

I like the diamond plate pattern in the rear of the truck. Too bad there's 3 extra 5-mm holes to accomodate the shield.

Kingdom Ractonite - My first fossilizer. The bot and triceratops modes are both great. The bot's helmet and lance give him a bit of a TLK knight vibe. I currently have him as a lance and hammer for Huffer. His dino rear legs are attached to Huffer's legs for extra bulk. His pelvis and dino foreleg are attached to Huffer's back, with Huffer's gun attached since Huffer's hands are full of lance and hammer. It's a bit easier to find use for all the parts with this guy than with Brunt or Sixshot, which is nice.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Hit a semi-local comic shop for the first time in a year Saturday, and got:

Power Core Combiners Double Clutch w/Rally bot drones - I already have a few PCC torso bots, but this is my first set of limbs. It doesn't appear that I've missed much. The orange arm drone looks bad, and the red leg drone doesn't extend fully, so the gestalt can't stand. Double Clutch is a decent design, but his arm ball joints come off under their own weight, never mind with the limbs attached. I tried attaching the drones to the F1 torso bot I got years ago, since that mold seemed to fit the racing theme. Maybe I can fix the red leg drone, but I don't know if it'd be worth the effort.

CHUG Grapple - A redo of the CHUG Inferno I bought from the same comic shop a couple years ago. He's in great shape, but I can't get the head to flip out. There's a spring attached to the tile the head is mounted to, so maybe there's a release I have to trigger? I don't remember having this much trouble with Inferno.

Edit: I looked up the instructions, learned I had to slide one of the light bars forward, and he works fine.

Alternators Rodimus - He's missing a gun, and there's a bit of repaired damage by his driver's side wheel well. Other than that, he's in great shape. He even came with instructions, which I didn't need since I already own moldmate Mirage.

New but unopened: SS Bee Movie Starscream and Buzzworthy Bumblebee 4-pack (the one with Fangry). The Target shelves were almost empty, so I figured I'd leave with just Starscream. Then, I saw T-wrecks in a cart labelled "Toys", and realized this was stuff they were just about to put out. I checked a row of carts and found the 4-pack. I'd considered going shopping Friday, and am glad I didn't, because it probably wouldn't have been on the floor, then.
Last edited by Tantrum on Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Every time I think my local Walmart just isn't getting much in the way of stock coming in, they get something that surprises me. I think the last time they got any of the Legends-ish size class was PotP. After the first wave of that, no little guys, unless they were included with a Netflix version. Until now, at any rate.

War for Cybertron KINGDOM Core Class Megatron and Starscream: Oddly enough, as much as I wanted to get these two, I didn't want them badly enough to go to Amazon or BBTS, but they fell under "The reviews are showing neat looking figures with interesting transformations." Don't get me wrong, they aren't perfect, but the fact that Megs comes with his - sort of - G1 gun mode as an added weapon works, and his tank mode is pretty cool looking, not to mention easier to deal with for leg transformation. And Starscream has a really neat transform.

"You sayin' my transform ain't neat?"

Geez. I thought doing this at work would keep the peanut gallery quiet.

"Yer th' one who brought me here!"

Grrrr........

"Yeah, yeah, I know. 'Shuddap Rattrap'....."
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Generations Selects G2 Megatron
Lovely G2 repaint of the underwhelming Earthrise Megatron figure. I really liked the Siege figure, so am a bit baffled why this isn't as good. It's probably the silly sword/ tank barrel weapon and the slightly gormless face. Nice enough, and as I don't own a G2 Megatron anymore, this'll do.

Siege Astrotrain
Astrotrain seems to be a figure that came out to utter disinterest, which is a shame as he's actually pretty great. He pulls the current trick of actually being Voyager class, but comes with a bunch of crap to make him Leader class. In this case, a tender and load of guns! Robot mode is nice and I like the deep purple (but not Deep Purple) and greys. Lots of guns for shooty funtimes and the tender can make shoes for him or something so he stands a bit taller. Train mode is nice, but the front does admittedly look off, as it's samller than the body of the train. Tender adds a sense of completeness, which I like and the shuttle mode is fab. In a nice bit of forward compatibility, the tender can make a launch platform for the shuttle which can hook up to the Earthrise Micromaster bases. Nice!

Pretender Submarauder
A favourite thanks to picking him up on holiday to Miami in 1988. My original is long gone, and it's nice to have him again. Really pleased that I've managed to luck out on one that's in excellent condition and doesn't have the rubbish stickers applied.

Pretender Waverider
Never owned one of the Autobot Pretenders, so thought I'd give this lad a go. He's pretty awesome. I like the black of the robot and the greys of the shell. Not as interesting as the Decepticon lads, but solid all the same.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Kingdom Rodimus
Somewhat unexpectedly found this in the wild today and being the Hot Rod/Rodimus mark that I am, I had to get it. Very immediate reaction is that it's not as good as the previous two Commander class figures, since so much of the size is taken up by the flaming box. But that's only the initial reaction, cause man did that pack some parts count and complexity into the Rodimus. There's some cool bits of gimmickry in the the arm and leg transformation, particularly with the wheels. Good amount of articulation in the figure too.

The only real complaint I have with the figure is the alt mode. I get why they did it but I think it was a mistake to have the Rodimus robot turn into what is basically the Hot Rod car and then just have that slot into the trailer. It just doesn't quite look right.

Overall assessment: Good figure but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you want a modern rendition that's better than the PotP version.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If all goes okay with shipping should have some TFN-related/Toy-Fu purchases on the way. Got a couple of Prowls earlier in the week to get a bit in the mood (POTP as the one I've got is in Guard City, and RiD after seeing a TRDQ video on the mould). Then from the event proper some slightly more retro (Stalker, BM Tankor, Spy Changers Super Eagle Killer, RG Spy Shot, UT Cruellock/Undermine and a Skyblast junker, RiD Rollbar, Animated Leader Megs with hopefully enough parts to look okay in robot mode) and some modern (Blackwing, Rung, Slamdance, Snaptrap, and a spare FX Code). Plus at some point a custom ActionMaster Xaaron in Marvel US style.

Had been umming about picking up the Selects Snaptrap when they were first shown, so getting one loose and for charity at a more reasonable price than they tend to fetch now is nice. Blackwing I'm not sure got a proper release over here and although I've got the pair as the combined jet mode had only got Dreadwind separate in robot mode.

That's filled in a few gaps of things I didn't get due to poor distribution, being in multi-packs or not really appreciating in the eras they were originally released.

Wasn't up for juggling with TFN itself (did catch a few minutes of the evening of what turned out not to be a Hasbro update but Eaglemoss staff trying to promote a $600 Sunbow-style chess set Kickstarter to slightly bemused reception).

Sort of eyeing up that BW Grimlock/Mirage two pack at some point.

edit: Quick grainy pic...

https://i.imgur.com/rpql5Kg.jpeg