Movie thread, or; what movie did you watch last?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Skyquake87 wrote:The other great thing about the film was Thanos being properly fleshed out and being an incredibly sympathetic guy and actually having a really good argument to drive his mission (although his methods were brutal and extreme, it's hard not to agree with his assessment that population growth left unchecked can be disastrous.).
Oh he was a charasmatic villain, but he didn't remotely have a good argument, even ignoring he could have just used his magic glove to give everyone more resources. The issue with populations isn't lack of resources, it's a small group hoarding everything from the majority. We could keep everyone on Earth fed now a 1000 times over, it's just all in the wrong place. If he'd clicked his fingers to sort that out, then he'd be sympathetic. Basically he's killing for the sake of killing.
God knows what anyone coming cold to this film will make of it, as without at least some background on previous films, none of this will mean much.
I don't think they give a **** as long as stuff blows up cool and individual scenes are fun. It's the Michael Bay factor.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Saw 2001: A Space Odyssey on the big screen!

Big deal had been made out of the fact that there's a newly restored 70mm print in circulation, hence the theatrical re-release...so I was already in for a disappointment because Finnish cinemas no longer have film projectors so all we got was a digital copy. On top of that they hadn't even configured the screen properly, they were essentially screening a scope movie in 1.85:1 so there were black bars all around. Lame.

The sound mix was great tho.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I went to see The Predator, blithely unaware of the production issues - which mainly centre around the casting of someone who was a former sex offender and whose scenes had to then be cut and re-shot - and it is for the main, decent, and good fun. I could have done without the cutesy kid element though, which feels a bit of an awkward inclusion and his 'journey' (everyone goes on journeys now. what is this, a bus ride?) throughout the film feels like something shoved in from something like Aliens In The Attic. He's no Newt, that's for sure. I can't say how well it stands up to the other sequels, aside from the first AVP, I've only seen the original (still great, with its silly '80s machismo) and this feels like it borrows a lot from that with a maverick crew hunting down fearsome out of space creatures. Although now the 'colourful' personalities seen in days of yore are now of course, all the result of some mental health problems. Including the now tiresome 'isn't Tourettes funny?' thing. Yay progress. So basically, you've a film a bit like the original, with a 'doesn't really fit' kid with autism happy-clappy thread married to the uncomfortable knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes to make an enjoyable, if unsatisfying bit of nonsense that you're not sure how to feel about. A bit like how watching films with Kevin Spacey in is now.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Considering the guy's scenes were removed from the final film, getting worked up over them anyway is just silly.

"Oh my god, this movie almost stars a sex offender!"
Clay

Post by Clay »

Went and saw The Predator today. [puts on film cricket hat] It is sloppy in its exposition, has little character development, a lot of the plot depends on ridiculous coincidences, and much of the action pushes the suspension of disbelief. [/puts on film cricket hat] BUT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE IT'S SO FUN. I left the theater smiling and giddy. IT IS NOT GOOD, BUT IT SO FUN.

<ahem>

I very much enjoyed it despite its numerous, obvious shortcomings.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

How would you rank it against Predator 2?

...is actually a terrible question since I like Predator 2, some of the reasons might even count as negatives for others. For example, the movie takes place in the then-future year of 1997, which dates the movie horribly, but I like it because it gives the film some of it's charm. The whole movie feels incredibly 90's really and that's what I like about it. I think the only major complaint about it I can agree on is that the movie really peaks far too early; the action scenes taking place after the subway scene don't quite measure up, it's such an amazing setpiece.
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

The First Purge and The House With A Clock In It's Walls

anyone watched Venom yet? i hear its getting terrible reviews
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Caught up on Marvel Phase 3.1 or whatever it's called.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - bantzy. Fun action comedy, cast growing nicely into their parts largely, ridiculously over-powerful Yondu, obvious plot, bit of obviousness, some good jokes, Nebula still might be the worst 'character' in the whole universe, 7/10

Thor Ragnarok - bantzy. Miles better than The Mighty Bore or Shit Space Elves, junking the Asgard backdrop is never a problem. Hela far too campy, Goldblum too memey but the rest was great - Skurge, Idris, Korg, Valkyrie, violence, comedy, Zeppelin. Best Hulk movie ever, 8/10

Black Panther - great effects, acting and ideas masking the most obvious plot ever. Very good, vying with Dr Strange for the best "building up a chunk of the universe from scratch and still being really good" film so far, 8/10

Infinity War - actually really good. Twattery kept to a bare minimum and enough faith in those behind the camera to pull off explanations for the occasional gaping plot hole. Very democratic, fairly sure Drax did more than in either GOTG film, great Strange & Wong & cloak, surprisingly impactful. Only bum note was the shit SLJ joke at the end, 9/10

Ant-Man & the Wasp - plotless barrage of sight gags, some of which were very good. Enjoyable in a "this is shit though, isn't it?" way, crammed far too much "hey hey hey" in at the expense of Michael Pena. Passable but time for a new creative team for the next one, maybe Edgar Wright? 6/10
inflatable dalek

Way behind on my Marvel, but really liked Infinity War. Complaints about it being too confusing unless you've watched everything closely basically ignored how the Bay films were popular despite mostly not making much sense either.

I'm still not sure why Wong buggered off after Strange was kidnapped though. "I have to go do... a thing. Good luck you guys!"
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

inflatable dalek wrote:I'm still not sure why Wong buggered off after Strange was kidnapped though. "I have to go do... a thing. Good luck you guys!"
I'd have to watch it again, I seem to recall him saying something.

If not, I'd just he's off watching over the Sanctum Sanctorum, cause somebody has to do it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup, watching the Sanctum. Plausible fudge IMO - in the comics it's rare for him to leave it full stop no matter what. Respectable workarounds for Clint and Scott too. Valkyrie is the biggest elephant - one of the producers or directors have said she left the Asgardian ship with civilians on escape pods, which there's no mention of I've caught in the film. It means the pods left Thor for dead and made good enough to be well clear by the time the Milano arrives, which isn't impossible but doesn't jive with the scene.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Watched I, Tonya last night which I really enjoyed (girlfriend said it was boring), Margot Robbie was excellent, but it's Allison Janney as her mum who stole the show for me. The bumbling 'friends' of her husband make for good comic relief, and the use of actual interview footage which backs up some of the scenes in the end credits backed up some moments that I thought felt at little too comedic to be true. Turns out they weren't. A sad story of a dumb idea that got out of hand and ruined everyone's lives.
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Solo : A Star Wars Story Bought this on DVD and watched it last night. Good, solid yarn with a likeable cast and decent set pieces. It's a shame (to me anyway, being less of a 'Wars purist) that the new films have been put on hold citing mixed reaction to TLJ and outright hate this film seems to have attracted (which puzzles me, as I can't honestly see what's wrong with it - the casting and story is great, IMO). I think this and Rogue One have been my favourite SW films - I like being shown the small stuff. All the pontificating about The Force and trade disputes or whatever aren't as interesting to me as watching the 'normal' folk living in such a world. The robot in solo was a funny robot too much for me, though. But at least she wasn't C3PO.
Savarese
Protoform

Re: Movie thread, or; what movie did you watch last?

Post by Savarese »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:22 pm Solo : A Star Wars Story Bought best anti snoring devices and this on DVD and watched it last night. Good, solid yarn with a likeable cast and decent set pieces. It's a shame (to me anyway, being less of a 'Wars purist) that the new films have been put on hold citing mixed reaction to TLJ and outright hate this film seems to have attracted (which puzzles me, as I can't honestly see what's wrong with it - the casting and story is great, IMO). I think this and Rogue One have been my favourite SW films - I like being shown the small stuff. All the pontificating about The Force and trade disputes or whatever aren't as interesting to me as watching the 'normal' folk living in such a world. The robot in solo was a funny robot too much for me, though. But at least she wasn't C3PO.
Last movie I watched was "Upgrade." It's a neat little sci-fi flick with an accent on the story, not the visuals as much. So be advised! Not that the visuals are bad, there's just no fancy CGI.
Last edited by Savarese on Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Just back from Endgame... great fun. Without getting into any spoilers:

1) Yes, virtually all the footage from the trailers is from the first ~30 minutes of a three hour feature
2) There's no after-credits teaser scene. It's just the marvel logo.
inflatable dalek

Hornet! A film about a yellow alien robot found by some teens, helping to save the world.

Something very familiar about all that.

It has the most amazing ending of any film ever:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 14976?s=20
Clay

Post by Clay »

I went and saw Detective Pikachu on a whim, despite not knowing anything about pokemon. It's adorable.
SneakyOL
Protoform

Post by SneakyOL »

The last movie I watched is the Mule with Clint Eastwood. I've expected to see more action but the movie is still ok.
inflatable dalek

As I've been rewatching the Batman movies, I think it's vitally important you all know Batman Returns is actually a bit shit. Don't be fooled by anyone trying to trick you into thinking it's a clever classic.

The best stuff is all to do with the Mayor Penguin bits, which still a 40 minute chunk of the film you could cut out without noticing.