Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens discussion thread NOW WITH SPOILERS NOW THE FILM IS OUT.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rack 'n Ruin

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens discussion thread NOW WITH SPOILERS NOW THE FILM IS OUT.

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

OK. I admit it. The hype train has well and truly got me - I am now far, far too excited about Star Wars VII. I find myself searching for rumours and counter-rumours on the plot, and I keep ooh-ing and aah-ing at toy X-Wings and Stormtroopers. Anyone else getting excited? Shall we share cool sounding news, rumours and theories here (in spoiler tags, natch)?

Oh, btw. I am your father.
Wreck and Rule!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Nooooooooooooooooooo!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Actually yes. Really looking forward to it. Definitely want to see it in the cinema. I saw RotS back in 2005 at the flicks, it was a lot of fun to watch on the big screen.

I'm happy to avoid all the rumours and internet things, though.

However, what really gets me is sodding Game of Thrones. You cannot move on the damn web without getting spoilers everywhere, which is annoying as I've yet to see the most recent stuff. So the Jon Snow stuff has already been revealed because they splash it up on news pages. Feckers.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Auntie Slag wrote:Actually yes. Really looking forward to it. Definitely want to see it in the cinema. I saw RotS back in 2005 at the flicks, it was a lot of fun to watch on the big screen.

I'm happy to avoid all the rumours and internet things, though.

However, what really gets me is sodding Game of Thrones. You cannot move on the damn web without getting spoilers everywhere, which is annoying as I've yet to see the most recent stuff. So the Jon Snow stuff has already been revealed because they splash it up on news pages. Feckers.
Is he leaving the Channel 4 News? :o

I will definitely be seeing it at the cinema, hopefully on opening night. This sort of thing is much better on a big screen.
Wreck and Rule!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I was all hyped for the Lego sets until I saw the price still can't wait for the film though. Went to see Age of Ultron a while back and the trailer had already been leaked the day before so everyone had seen it but it was the first instance that I had even seen a cinema full of people stand up and applaud. Everyone lost their shit when Han and Chewie came on.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Auntie Slag wrote:However, what really gets me is sodding Game of Thrones. You cannot move on the damn web without getting spoilers everywhere, which is annoying as I've yet to see the most recent stuff. So the Jon Snow stuff has already been revealed because they splash it up on news pages. Feckers.
Thrones is one of those things where you either need to be:

a) not interested
or
b) not on any form of social media or the internet in general

I mean I read all the books before the series started + watch the series and I've been stupendously ****ed off by the amount of spoilers that news sites seem to think are fair game "just because that episode aired two seconds ago in the States".
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

electro girl wrote:I was all hyped for the Lego sets until I saw the price still can't wait for the film though. Went to see Age of Ultron a while back and the trailer had already been leaked the day before so everyone had seen it but it was the first instance that I had even seen a cinema full of people stand up and applaud. Everyone lost their shit when Han and Chewie came on.
Yeah, the Lego. Oh, the Lego. I wish I had the money and space to have a huge Lego Star Wars collection. It is the synthesis of 2/3 of my massive childhood passions (the other being TFs). What do you think of the new
SPOILER! (select to read)
black and orange X-Wing
? I want to love it, but the classic look outshines it for me. But still,
X-WINGS
! Squeeeee! :D

Anyway, the big news:
C-3PO now has a red left arm.
Maybe he didn't let the Wookiee win?
Wreck and Rule!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

@Brend: Exactly. It didn't used to be like this.

Even more annoying is when these stupid pages combine revealing news with a crappy group, plural aspect. e.g.

"... And its blown our minds".

"We can't unsee it".

And to rub salt even further into the wounds, they'll incorporate words they think are cool and happening right now, such as:

EPIC FAIL.

FEELS.

UNSEE.

Its like back in 2006 when every prick on TV was proudly proclaiming "THANKS (insert band name here), LOVING THAT"! (Shoot yourself for this, Iain Lee).

Even now an inordinate amount of people feel the need to say chavvy shit like "Get in", or its equally scummy cousin "Get on".

Remember when the fake music press resorted to calling band members by their band names? Like; "This week in Smash Hits; Damon Blur squares off against Keith Prodigy".

Thank god that's over at least.

We're not immune to it on this lovely message board either . How about years ago when lots of people were ending post with the phrase "Hmmm m'dear" or simply "This" to agree with the above post.

I can't begin to express how much I truly, utterly hate this crap.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Honestly the movie isn't out yet and I'm already sick of it. I like Star Wars as movies and the occasional comic series and video game but overall I find myself not caring to see because NOTHING JJ Abrams has done has impressed me he's IMHO one of the worst directors in Hollywood.

The only good thing that Star Wars 7 has done is that he's not directing Star Trek: Beyond and his departure also got rid of Orci and Kurtzman. Maybe Simon Pegg and Justin Lin can get me to watch it.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Do you reckon they'll kill younglings?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Auntie Slag wrote:So the Jon Snow stuff has already been revealed because they splash it up on news pages. Feckers.
How is Jon Snow not being dead a spoiler? Like, seriously? Even in the Sunbow version it can't have been all that convincing. If you don't see his head sliced off or smashed to bits he's alive; Martin's never going to off a major character with a bit of a stabbing.

SPOILERBOWL: BRING THE HYPE.

Erm, back on topic... Was "eh" until that bit at the end of the trailer. Oh yes.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

What hacks me off is the Buzzfeeds of this world cracking on with the "will Kit Harrington be on set for the beginning of season whatever it is because I've lost count".

At the very ****ing least he needs to crop up in the next episode to play a corpse regardless of whether Melisandre does the foreshadowed thing or not. AARRRGHHHHHHH,

I've had five years of that cliffhanger and the clickbait sites are acting like we've not reasoned it out.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The internet reaction to something that's been in print since 2011 was just bizarre. Thank God facebook wasn't around when Titanic was out.
Seriously though, fatboy better get done writing Winds of Winter before I have to compromise one of my four remaining principles and watch the Peter Jackson version.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I watch Thrones (can't be arsed with the books now we're Five Seasons deep, plus I'm a philistine) and have found it easy to avoid spoilers through indifference to all the 'trending now' and 'news' (its not news if its about TV is it, really?) about anything connected with TV/ celebrities/ wacky 'you won't believe this groom's reaction to this unfunny prank' style bullshit. The internet to me is like Closer magazine, or anyone of those shrieking day glo rags, and the print versions of those things I've no interest in and can easily switch off from electronic click bait of the same. I haven't the time, for one thing.

I do recall the huge furore when Metro printed a review of the finale of Season 3 (fair game, as it had aired on the UK the night before, and this wasn't an unusual thing for a then daily column titled 'last nights TV' to do...) ,and loads of people wrote in moaning about how disgraceful it was because they'd not watched it yet on their catch up/ streaming. Jesus. It was easy enough to avoid by not reading the column.

ANYWAY. Star Wars. Will probably see it at some point? I dunno, I recognise how important SW is, but I just can't get into it at all. The original triliogy is risible enough, before we even get to the "jumped up firework display of a toy advert" of the prequels (so good, I've still not seen Episodes 2 & 3). And do I feel I'm missing out? No, not really. These will basically have to have a good plot and some acting in that doesn't make my toes curl, sensible use of special effects (not so bloody obvious that you can tell its just everyone standing in a green room with everything painted in with CGI afterwards) and absolutely no boring arse about trade federations.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

When I did the tour of Pinewood yesterday the guide told up Star Wars has pretty much booked up the entire lot as it is now solidly for the next ten years. To the point they're having to build a new studio down the road just for Star Wars so they can give other films a chance. So I hope it's a success because otherwise that's going to be a bit embarrassing. "Sorry Pinewood, we're canceling the solo movie about that giggling midget guy who sat next to Lando in Jedi, I don't know, maybe give the new stages over to flats or something?"

A lot of the people who work there are clearly unhappy with all the extra security Star Wars brings, there was an awful lot of moaning about all the extra concentration camp style security fences that have been put in over the last couple of years making it impossible to get from one bit of the studio to the other.

I mean, "I'd love to show you the field from Carry on Camping where Barbra Windsor's bea flew off, but Star Wars won't let us" is not a sentence you expect to hear.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:"Sorry Pinewood, we're canceling the solo movie about that giggling midget guy who sat next to Lando in Jedi, I don't know, maybe give the new stages over to flats or something?"
Nien Numb (or summat like that)? I had a toy of that dude! I had no Falcon for him to co-pilot though, so he was rather random (and probably bought on clearance!).

I'm imagining a road trip style film, where Nien Numb teams up with Chewbacca to go find the planet that Jabba The Hutt got his dancing girls from. The entire dialogue of the film is unintelligible, but largely consists of bitching and grumbling about only being the co-pilot, and how Han and Lando never let them do the cool stuff.
Wreck and Rule!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Yay star wars!
I've always had a weird relationship with star wars. I say I'm not super into it but I know all the characters, I play the games, I've got posters and models and whatnot, and when I saw the trailer at the cinema I got serious goosebumps and butterflies. I think it's just that I'm not as into it as some people, and would put it below numerous other geeky interests.

Long story short: I'm hugely excited to see it in the cinema.
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I'm about the same with SW - I've seen the three films they made several times over, I know which one IG-88 is, "It's a trap", the bit where the Stormtrooper walks into the door, Alec Guinness totalling failing to hide how much he hates what he's doing and still knocking lumps off everyone, etc. - but the whole expanded universe and everything leaves me cold.

The film trailers so far point to a genuine attempt to repossess a bunch of fun fantasy-action films from the joyless nerds, and for that I am thankful.

EDIT: And seriously, they're doing another X-Treme Star Trek? Why? Paramount have a properly popular franchise to be dealing with, why are they wasting time on that rubbish?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I was a huge Star Wars fan in my late teens and even decade ago I would have been super-hyped for this, but at the moment I find that I don't care even a little bit. The prequels were terrible. The EU has lost most of its' sense of fun and collapsed into a black hole of super-violent galaxy-shattering "epics" that take themselves too seriously. They haven't even made a video game I was genuinely tempted by for ten years. It's been too long since I've enjoyed something with "Star Wars" on the label and my love for the series has long since withered and died.

Also, the fact that they've brought back pension-age versions of the original cast has left me thinking that this will be a hollow attempt to recapture the old magic without any understanding of why it worked so well in the first place. You know, sort of like ReGeneration 1...

But in spite of all that, I really do hope this turns out to be a good movie, or at least a fun one. If the reviews bear this out...
Cliffjumper wrote:The film trailers so far point to a genuine attempt to repossess a bunch of fun fantasy-action films from the joyless nerds
...I'll check it out eventually. But "joyless" is just about a perfect description of how Star Wars has felt for me for a long time, and I'm expecting more of the same from this.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Warcry wrote:The EU has lost most of its' sense of fun and collapsed into a black hole of super-violent galaxy-shattering "epics" that take themselves too seriously.
As part of announcing the new films they denounced the while EU as non canon so at least they feel the same way about it.
Also, the fact that they've brought back pension-age versions of the original cast has left me thinking that this will be a hollow attempt to recapture the old magic
I'm hoping the old guard are only going to be appearing in the Obi-Wan kind of role, rather than as the main focus.
Cliffjumper wrote:.EDIT: And seriously, they're doing another X-Treme Star Trek? Why? Paramount have a properly popular franchise to be dealing with, why are they wasting time on that rubbish?
Pretty much ditches the old writing and directing team, I believe, so it might at least come across like Star Trek! One thing those films proved was that Abrams is suited to making Star Wars.
I like bears.