[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Heinrad wrote:And given all the stress going on at work right now, beating the ever-loving crap out of bad guys is just what I need...
Me too. And being impressed with Sonic the Hedgehog 3D, I got Streets of Rage 3D for the same beat-em-up purposes. Great brawler with fantastic music. The sequel is one of my faves, and this one is great as well. Loving that they're only $6.

Ooooh, and I got Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on the 360 since it was on sale for $10. Didn't get the $5/ea. DLC though, since I still have a huge backlog. I think this one will move up to the top of my play list once I am done with my first playthrough of Diablo III.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Been splitting my time between several things lately:

Finished A Link Between Worlds on normal and Hero modes, finished Sonic the Hedgehog 3D with all of the Chaos Emeralds, and finished Streets of Rage 3D using Adam... all on the 3DS. Got the bug to finish off God of War on the PS3 tonight, so that's marked off the list.

Now I am just working on Diablo III as a monk, meanwhile playing a connected franchise as the Cincinnati Bengals on Madden 25 with a buddy of mine. I think after I finish Diablo III I may go ahead and start up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. But that's going to be a while before I get there!
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

HeavyArms wrote:...try to get the 'Friends in High Places' trophy on Red Dead Redemption.
I think I may have given up on that one. Stopped being fun and just got annoying. But then, I'm not much of one for trophy hunting, since I don't play online multi-player platinum is usually out of the question for me. Also, most of the year round I barely have time to give the games I want to play a single playthrough, let alone pefect them. Especially since getting PS+.

Speaking of which, I'm currently playing through a game that wasn't even on my radar until it came up for free on PS+. Metro: Last Light. You FPS guys probably already know it's a sequel to/remake of Metro 2033. As far as gameplay goes it's a solid, stealth heavy FPS (you can charge in guns blazing but it's way less fun) but the story and world they've built up is really quite engaging. Every single character has their own stuff going on, but you're free to ignore it all and waltz right through if you aren't interested. It's not essential to completing the game but it really adds flavour.

Also, playing Borderlands 2. It's basically more of the same but I liked the first one as it was a game that I'd play for a few days til I got bored then pick up a few months later and do the same again. Lot of grinding but nice cathartic game.

Also simultaneously working my way through Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) and Liberation (Vita, not HD).

Also Dynasty Warriors Next on Vita. I really like dynasty warriors games but as this was a vita launch title there's a bit too much tilt and touchpad bollocks shoehorned in. Still, since I don't have any other warriors titles at the mo it'll do. SPeaking of which, has anyone played any other PS3/Vita Warriors games? Any recommendations?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

And continuing my love of Genesis titles, I got Ecco the Dolphin 3D off the Nintendo eShop. And since I had a measly $2 left on my account I picked up Gunman Clive as well.

On another note, the eShop also has The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures Anniversary available for free! Until today or tomorrow, I think. So I got that too.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Last day for Four Swords is Feburary 2. To celebrate getting a bigger SD card on this thing, I downloaded it. Fun game so far.

Gunman Clive is a lot of fun, too. Although the character you unlock after you beat it takes the challenge to a whole new level.

I also found Transformers: Animated for the 3DS. It's not what I was expecting. It's not bad, but there's a distinct lack of actual transforming.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

At the moment I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition. I've been playing it for the last few weeks and I'm not as far though as I would like to be, I'm thinking of taking a break from it and playing something a little shorter and linear.
Destruction is my specialty
Sades

Post by Sades »

G A L L O P R A C E R 2 0 0 6

... it's not boring, shut up.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Mass Effect 3 on PS3
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yesterday I bought Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes on the DS because it had always intrigued me and received fantastic reviews a few years ago. After 45 minutes of playing it, the game clicked and feels utterly UTTERLY addictive, in the way that Bejeweled or Candy Crush does.

I haven't touch the DS in ages, but there have been so many time-sink titles for it; Zookeeper, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Elite Beat Agents, Soul Bubbles. Because it sits in the draw I don't often think of it when I think of great consoles. Odd.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Clash of heroes is great fun. Gets pretty tough as it goes on.j
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I just bought Remember Me for the Xbox 360.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I have The Lego Movie pre-ordered but I have no idea when it's meant to be released.
Although the smart money says April when the movie and sets come out, but it's odd that the game is coming out two months later than everywhere else.
Destruction is my specialty
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I've been diving head first into the Titanfall Beta on Xbox One. and boy is it a blast! It's like avatar/aliens, transformers, and COD had a baby but sent it to another planet with a sun that super powered the baby and made it a super game or something. :p It's F****** RAD!

Here is a montage I made using ROFT's PRIME track.

Believe the hype... Titanfall is the best online experience I have ever had hands down. I even enjoy playing it by myself, which rarely happens. I also have a friend who HATES FPS games and even more so online FPS games and he LOVES this game! Whether you suck at shooters or are a god among men you'll enjoy this game!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Finished up my first playthrough of Diablo III. Only ended up as a level 32, and the last few bosses were cake. I don't even think I came close to using a health potion during the Diablo fight. I don't know if it was really a letdown since it was still fun... I just expected a little more out of the final boss fight. I think I'll play through it again for sure as a different character, but I'm going to turn my attention elsewhere for the time being. I know I want to work on some Madden 25, and I may possibly shuttle over to my neglected 360 for a while to give a crack at Assassin's Creed II.

For the 3DS I finished another two playthroughs of Streets of Rage, as Axel and then Blaze. And I also finished Gunman Clive as Clive and Ms. Johnson. Working on Duck Mode. Super fun little platformer for $2.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I've got the day free, so I thought I'd play something I've never played before. Final Fantasy VII on PSOne. My god, what must kids have thought after all the adverts and awards in '97? My impression after 1.5 hours of play is... there really isn't much play here. Lots of fairly uninteresting dialogue to wade through, traverse pre-rendered screen after screen, hoping not to trigger a random fight event (even though that's the exciting bit).

It's not riveting, and that's without looking at it with 2014 eyes.

I remember lusting after this game, and thinking the Playstation bundle with console, Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid was the ultimate in video game enjoyment.

I'm sure the answer is 'give it a bit longer', and the leveling system is attractive, but considering what goes on in the beginning, it still feels ponderous.

By comparison I found the opening to Grandia far more exciting, and Vagrant Story just seems to do everything FFVII tries to do a million times better.

Any thoughts? I know there's plenty of people that adore this game.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I only remember playing FFVII back in the early 2000s when I had a PS1. I also remember the lore around it being a great game, like you. I also remember being quite bored with it, like you.

Maybe it's great or not, I've just never clicked well with turn based combat. Even games that I've tried that were really entertaining like the Paper Mario RPG games - I still couldn't get into the combat system. Maybe I just don't have the patience for it. Random battles with unseen enemies has never been fun for me.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

It certainly seems to require a lot of patience. Apparently you need to play for a good few hours before the game really introduces you to what's good about it. That's a lot of messing around if you ask me. And I thought Zelda games started slow! They're positively light speed after playing this!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Downloaded a few more games for the 3DS.

Metroid II: The Return of Samus - Had this for the original Game Boy when it first came out. And thanks to the virtual console, I'm finally getting somewhere.

Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale - The story of a small boy, mutant monsters capable of leveling Tokyo, and the Ultraman-ish hero who presumably comes in to save the day every Friday. At least, I hope somebody comes in to save the day. Not very far in the game yet, so either Tokyo's coming under attack at about the same time the Super Sentai, Ultraman, Galaxy Sherriff, and Kamen Rider shows all started airing, or the children of early 70 s Tokyo had one hell of a communal imagination. I was actually planning on getting this game a while ago, but after reading reviews of it(It's basically a love letter to the game designers childhood), and the fact that after beating Starship Damery I was worried about spending 8 bucks on another game I'd never be able to replay after beating it. Fortunately, they dropped the price. I would be farther, but I downloaded another game:

Retro City Rampage DX - The general inspiration for this game seems to have been a game a fan made years ago that was a NES, yes for the 8 bit Nintendo, port of GTA 3. Somebody else came along and started work on a game meant to be a follow-up called ROM City Rampage. Then apparently stopped. Somebody else picked it up, added in a lot of references to other NES games and the 80s(in the space of 5 seconds I wiped out both the Teenage Muntant..... Sewer Dwellers and the T Squad. Ah, parody.), a lot of humor and a Doctor Who reference. It's not taking itself seriously, it's a parody, and it's a lot of fun.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

HeavyArms wrote:I have The Lego Movie pre-ordered but I have no idea when it's meant to be released.
Although the smart money says April when the movie and sets come out, but it's odd that the game is coming out two months later than everywhere else.
Played it, beat it, and I REALLY enjoyed it! If they are staggering the movie over there they'd want to stagger the game too. It pretty much IS the movie but playable. It even goes so far as to have around 45 minutes of footage from the movie as cutscenes. I was gonna see the movie after I played the game but now I don't feel the need to.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I bought Thief for Xbox One...

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS GAME!!!

Seriously it looks like crap, runs like crap, plays like crap, the A.I. is dumb as a rock, and the "combat" is so crappy.

Even for a stealth game it's just bad... not fun at all.