Transformers: Robots in Disguise Season One #1-22

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
TLB80

Post by TLB80 »

Sooooo.....I just read this, and I'm basically tempted to rename this comic 'Transformers: Hey Guys, Come Watch Prowl and Arcee Kill All The Decepticons'.

Thus far we've had Horri-Bull, Ratbat, possibly Skywarp, and now
SPOILER! (select to read)
Skydive the Predator, Sunstorm, Bombshell and the remaining Constructicons.

I really don't see why it is necessary for Barber to kill off every single 'Con that isn't Starscream. If this were the '80s and he was clearing shelves, maybe I would be more understanding, but right now he's killing every single villain within an issue of them appearing, and this is annoying.

Also, I'm sorry, but
Sky-Byte?
I haven't got anything against the character, but is G1 really so lacking in characters that it is necessary to drag in people from other lines?
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'm not too concerned about having a lack of characters around - there's nothing brilliant and compelling that could have been done with the Constructicons or Horri-bull that, say, Rippersnapper couldn't do. The only death that felt a bit odd was Bombshell's, as it looked like he had an arc that was maybe going somewhere. Though a character can still in play despite being dead - something weird was going on with that guy and we'll probably see more about what it was.

As for Sky-Byte, I imagine that, like Starscream, he's got the advantage of not being a blank slate, or as close to one for the purposes of the comic. Bonecrusher and Skydive don't have that going for them. Ratbat did, but his death was an important bit of set-up, and the same may turn out to be true of Bombshell.

Over at the Allspark, they are going nuts over the high bodycount. I have trouble being convinced by a lot of the rationales going around other than 'I liked him!'
Now, if Dirge were to be suddenly knocked off, that could be a sign of sloppy writing, because he's been set up in a way that suggest he's got a further role to play. I liked Long Haul getting lines earlier, but he's still just a mook.

Besides, they will live on forever in our hearts, minds, trademark registrations, etc.
Terome

Post by Terome »

relak wrote:lol. is "Devisive" meant to be intentional?
Over on Facebook, Barber points out that it is supposed to be a pun.
Not sure if it's a terribly good one...
TLB80

Post by TLB80 »

Terome wrote:I'm not too concerned about having a lack of characters around - there's nothing brilliant and compelling that could have been done with the Constructicons or Horri-bull that, say, Rippersnapper couldn't do. The only death that felt a bit odd was Bombshell's, as it looked like he had an arc that was maybe going somewhere. Though a character can still in play despite being dead - something weird was going on with that guy and we'll probably see more about what it was.

As for Sky-Byte, I imagine that, like Starscream, he's got the advantage of not being a blank slate, or as close to one for the purposes of the comic. Bonecrusher and Skydive don't have that going for them. Ratbat did, but his death was an important bit of set-up, and the same may turn out to be true of Bombshell.

Over at the Allspark, they are going nuts over the high bodycount. I have trouble being convinced by a lot of the rationales going around other than 'I liked him!'
Now, if Dirge were to be suddenly knocked off, that could be a sign of sloppy writing, because he's been set up in a way that suggest he's got a further role to play. I liked Long Haul getting lines earlier, but he's still just a mook.

Besides, they will live on forever in our hearts, minds, trademark registrations, etc.
What really annoys me is basically the insistence on 'every issue must have at least one death' that we've seen so far. It is worryingly looking like Barber feels he needs to kill people off to keep the series interesting or whatever.

We're four issues into a peacetime series, for christ's sake, and I've already seen almost as many deaths than I have in the Ongoing. I might as well be reading the Underbase Saga.
Terome

Post by Terome »

TLB80 wrote:What really annoys me is basically the insistence on 'every issue must have at least one death' that we've seen so far. It is worryingly looking like Barber feels he needs to kill people off to keep the series interesting or whatever.

We're four issues into a peacetime series, for christ's sake, and I've already seen almost as many deaths than I have in the Ongoing. I might as well be reading the Underbase Saga.
Isn't that the point, though? That these guys have survived so much, but put them all in a confined space and force them to do Politics and they've got no way to deal or to defend themselves. They're being killed by racism, paranoia and the occasional spell of pure bad luck.

It's heavy-handed, sure. That's a legitimate problem with the writing. But you've got to admit that there's a lot more craft to it than Underbase.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

So how are we feeling about Prowl's actions here? Because right now it seems to be that he's not only gone out of his mind, he's also crossed the line once and for all. What he did to Ratbat I can understand, given that he was planning a violent attack on innocent Autobots and Neutrals and Prowl killing the Constructicons could be called self defence as there were five of them, one of him and all of them were armed and planning to kill him

But his murder of Bombshell was totally not needed. Bombshell was at his mercy, defenceless and the Autobots currently control the whole bloody planet so it's not like one delusional Decepticon was much of a threat. Plus killing Bombshell means that Prowl has no idea who he was working with on this so he's now got no way of which other Decepticons might have been involved. I'm betting that Soundwave and Shockwave are the ringleaders of this. It would explain why Shockwave didn't give a damn about Ratbat's plans back in issue two

And Prowl clearly planning to kill Dirge just for being a witness to his murder of Bombshell makes me think that he really can't be called a hero anymore. Even if he's got good intentions, he's gone way too far

Not that I mind Prowl being a villain. I kind of like that some of the roles are being reversed, with guys like Starscream emerging as more morally grey than out and out villains while the Aerialbots and Prowl seem to be heading towards playing more villainous roles in this story

Makes you wonder what the bloody hell he told Bumblebee though doesn't it? Somehow I doubt his version of events involved him chasing Bombshell down and blowing his head off while he was making no attempt to fight back.
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Terome

Post by Terome »

So how are we feeling about Prowl's actions here? Because right now it seems to be that he's not only gone out of his mind, he's also crossed the line once and for all. What he did to Ratbat I can understand, given that he was planning a violent attack on innocent Autobots and Neutrals and Prowl killing the Constructicons could be called self defence as there were five of them, one of him and all of them were armed and planning to kill him
I think it's an interesting move. Prowl is... severely racist, and the king of cognitive dissonance. (Seriously, "Can't afford to doubt?" Yeah, that's thinking clearly.) It makes sense for a guy like that to act like a monster, given the opportunity. The only part I'm not convinced by is that he must surely have known that Arcee wasn't the best choice for his lethal enforcer. But I suppose there's drama in those hills.

More Dirge as a counterpoint to all this nefariousness would be welcome.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Terome wrote:Isn't that the point, though? That these guys have survived so much, but put them all in a confined space and force them to do Politics and they've got no way to deal or to defend themselves. They're being killed by racism, paranoia and the occasional spell of pure bad luck.

It's heavy-handed, sure. That's a legitimate problem with the writing. But you've got to admit that there's a lot more craft to it than Underbase.
Yeah, I'd say that's hitting the nail on the head. There's a lot of good intentions in this book, but they're not quite being pulled off.

The problem this month is we're presented with a murder mystery where, even if you missed the solicitations and the cover that gives it away, is still solved almost instantly. There is some mystery in why he's doing it, but no one seems to care about that. Overall it was just a bit dull.

Minor niggles: OK, Prowl didn't want Ratbat dead despite it not seeming like that in issue 2... So why did he send official psycho killer Frank N. Furter to bring him in? Was there no other Autobot who could overpower Ratbat?

How did Blurr not see Arcee in the fight? Or at least hear her lengthy loud monologue?

It's been three issues since the Autobots found out one of the ID chips didn't work, why haven't they followed this up in the meantime and at least checked the others? And it's amazing all the Decepticons are so self controlled not one of them has transformed in public before now.

Waffling on about Spike. No. One. Gives. A. ****.

If we view the two ongoings as just one big fortnightly comic, it has to be said that RID is now looking like those issues of the old UK weekly that reprinted the dull mid-period Bob stuff you'd skim through whilst waiting for the next Prey. Which is a shame as Barber does by far have the harder task of the two writers so it's no surprise it's not working as well, but this book needs an imense kick up the arse so it's not just being read in case anything ties into the good one.

A nice bit: The two Prowl's conversation in MTMTE clearly being set up for the two Skydive's here.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote:
Minor niggles: OK, Prowl didn't want Ratbat dead despite it not seeming like that in issue 2... So why did he send official psycho killer Frank N. Furter to bring him in? Was there no other Autobot who could overpower Ratbat?

How did Blurr not see Arcee in the fight? Or at least hear her lengthy loud monologue?

It's been three issues since the Autobots found out one of the ID chips didn't work, why haven't they followed this up in the meantime and at least checked the others? And it's amazing all the Decepticons are so self controlled not one of them has transformed in public before now.

Waffling on about Spike. No. One. Gives. A. ****.
Yeah, I don't see why Sideswipe or Jazz couldn't do any of the things Prowl has Arcee doing. Because if he wants Arcee to do the dirty business why does he tell her not to do any dirty business? I guess that the reason we're supposed to gravitate towards is that he doesn't trust any of the more established Autobots to have his back at this point, but that seems to be less of a problem than the solution he has arrived at.

The I/D chips I can understand - after murdering Horri-bull and then flinching, the Autobots simply don't have the footing to round up the Decepticons for another round of brain surgery like they did before the NAILs showed up. They missed a real trick in not examining the one that came out of Ratbat's head, or Dirge's while he was in the floaty Star Wars tank.
(Those always bug me in Transformers - what clear liquid is in there that allows them to float?)

Was similarly unmoved by Prowl's hate-crush on Spike. Though it does lend a lot to his general air of cracking up.
If we view the two ongoings as just one big fortnightly comic, it has to be said that RID is now looking like those issues of the old UK weekly that reprinted the dull mid-period Bob stuff you'd skim through whilst waiting for the next Prey. Which is a shame as Barber does by far have the harder task of the two writers so it's no surprise it's not working as well, but this book needs an imense kick up the arse so it's not just being read in case anything ties into the good one.
I wouldn't be that harsh. RID is a bit squidgy, but I think it deserves points for, like Bob at his best, being genuinely imaginative and unprecious. I'm going to read it until it becomes actively stupid, which looks like it could be around the six-issue mark where Prime and the Dinobots go out to beat up Shockwave for reasons that are unlikely to make much sense, as part of a very Dreamwavey 'Dinobot Month.'

Until then: Sky-Byte! I like Sky-Byte.
inflatable dalek

Terome wrote:Yeah, I don't see why Sideswipe or Jazz couldn't do any of the things Prowl has Arcee doing. Because if he wants Arcee to do the dirty business why does he tell her not to do any dirty business? I guess that the reason we're supposed to gravitate towards is that he doesn't trust any of the more established Autobots to have his back at this point, but that seems to be less of a problem than the solution he has arrived at.
I think the problem for me is, Prowl's behaviour here seems to be completely at odds with what he was doing earlier in the series.

The only way killing Ratbat (and his fairly blasé reaction to the news suggests that's what he wanted) made any sense was if he wanted to cover up the news of a Decepticon rising. If Ratbat had been brought in and the news of an attempted assassination of the Autobot leader had gotten out it almost certainly would have kicked off the whole war again.

Right or wrong that's a hell of a lot more understandable a position for him to take (bar the grey are over Skywarp, did he live or die? Based on this it'd be odd if he's in hospital but I don't think they've said either way have they?) than what we've seen here. Where he's ranting and raving at the end about a massive Decepticon conspiracy... with no proof to back it up because he's just had everyone who might be involved killed. So does he want to start up the war again or not?

It's very odd and feels like there's been some backtracking somewhere to try and make Prowl more overtly "Wrong" than I suspect was originally supposed to be the case.

It doesn't help that it's not entirely clear if there is actually a massive conspiracy or if Bombshell was acting as a lone loon and Prowl is just nuts.
Was similarly unmoved by Prowl's hate-crush on Spike. Though it does lend a lot to his general air of cracking up.
Whilst normally I'm in favour of making past continuity work rather than throwing it out, I think part of the problem here is it doesn't really make any sense unless you've read the ongoing. Prowl makes it sound as he's decided to be cynical because Spike turned out to be working for the Decepticons when he killed Scrapper. Or something. Mind, from what I've read what actually happened doesn't make much more sense but this doesn't help.

I wouldn't be that harsh. RID is a bit squidgy, but I think it deserves points for, like Bob at his best, being genuinely imaginative and unprecious. I'm going to read it until it becomes actively stupid, which looks like it could be around the six-issue mark where Prime and the Dinobots go out to beat up Shockwave for reasons that are unlikely to make much sense, as part of a very Dreamwavey 'Dinobot Month.'
That's after Deceptiocon Month isn't it? And just before "Lets Kill The Last Predators" month.

I'm probably being unfair on the series as a whole, but this was the weakest and least interesting issue yet. I'm worried the overall political stuff the series looked to be about is being sidelined very rapidly, Bumblebee didn't do anything but look stupid, Metalhawk was a mute and the next two issues seem to be ignoring the whole thing entirely.
Until then: Sky-Byte! I like Sky-Byte.
Yeah, I actually think that makes sense. He's a popular character (I'd say "Fan favourite" but that's now Turmoil territory. Sky-Bite probably counts as "Nationally known" in IDW's eyes) from a franchise that is almost certain never to get any new fiction based around it (hell, even the fanclub stuff seems to have ignored its tenth anniversary last year). porting him over is a smart thing to do.

As long as they play it to the hilt and do him properly without any attempt to make him less "Silly" as happened with so many of the Japanese BW characters.

And Prowl doesn't just have Arcee hack him to bits at the end of the issue.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

TLB80 wrote:Also, I'm sorry, but
Sky-Byte?
I haven't got anything against the character, but is G1 really so lacking in characters that it is necessary to drag in people from other lines?
Well, at the rate Barber is working through them the G1 Decepticons are all going to be dead within a couple years' time. He's got to think about the future, you know? ;)
inflatable dalek wrote:(bar the grey are over Skywarp, did he live or die? Based on this it'd be odd if he's in hospital but I don't think they've said either way have they?)
I'm pretty sure Wheeljack made a comment about him being in jail last issue, when Starscream was going on about getting the Seekers back together.

I don't have much to say about this issue. Bombshell was wildly incompetent, Prowl is an asshole, Arcee is a psycho, I have no idea what just happened and worst of all, I'm not entirely sure that I care. Four issues in and the only main character who's even a touch sympathetic so far is Starscream. The rest of the cast range from needing a good slap to needing a bullet to the brain, and I'm finding it progressively harder to cheer for anyone. I understand that they're trying to make a morally grey story, but you accomplish that by giving all your protagonists a balance of merits and flaws so that the reader can decide who's in the right, not by making sure that each of them are blatantly evil.
inflatable dalek

Warcry wrote: I'm pretty sure Wheeljack made a comment about him being in jail last issue, when Starscream was going on about getting the Seekers back together.

Oh... well that makes no sense then does it? No one seems to know about the assassination attempt so can he not talk? What crime is he actually in jail for officially?

And did we ever find out exactly why Bombshell killed (or I presume had Sunstorm kill for him, I can't see him doing the dirty himself) Skydive?

One good point I saw on (I think) the Allspark thread is it's incredibly contrived that Prowl drags Dirge around with him for no other reason so that he can see Bombshell get killed. Hard to buy they couldn't trace the signal without Dirge riding shotgun on Prowl's arse, especially as everybody's favourite nutter Autobot seems to go to great lengths to avoid minimising the involvement of anyone he doesn't absolutely need.

I actually think Blurr came over well this issue, mainly because like Dirge and Wheeljack to a certain extent he seems to be the only character going "Huh? Really?" at the contrived events around him. He was overly cocky going in, but actually seemed to learn from the experience.
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote:Oh... well that makes no sense then does it? No one seems to know about the assassination attempt so can he not talk? What crime is he actually in jail for officially?
I don't think detention without trial is beyond Prowl's capacity. moral or practical. There's also the possibility that he's being kept unconscious. As we may quite possibly be building to the downfall of Prowl, it might turn out to be a plot point?
One good point I saw on (I think) the Allspark thread is it's incredibly contrived that Prowl drags Dirge around with him for no other reason so that he can see Bombshell get killed. Hard to buy they couldn't trace the signal without Dirge riding shotgun on Prowl's arse, especially as everybody's favourite nutter Autobot seems to go to great lengths to avoid minimising the involvement of anyone he doesn't absolutely need.
Yeah, that one's definitely a hole.
I actually think Blurr came over well this issue, mainly because like Dirge and Wheeljack to a certain extent he seems to be the only character going "Huh? Really?" at the contrived events around him. He was overly cocky going in, but actually seemed to learn from the experience.
Four issues in and the only main character who's even a touch sympathetic so far is Starscream. The rest of the cast range from needing a good slap to needing a bullet to the brain, and I'm finding it progressively harder to cheer for anyone.
There's a lot more counterpoint going on than one gathers from the first read. Wheeljack remains sceptical, the 'one of us' line from Bumblebee about Blurr fell on deaf ears and Dirge seems to be becoming some kind of post-traumatic roboGandhi.
Well, at the rate Barber is working through them the G1 Decepticons are all going to be dead within a couple years' time. He's got to think about the future, you know?
Robots In Disguise #38: Jipe shows up. Is killed by Arcee, then by Prowl, then Arcee again. Dirge sees the whole thing, and weeps.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

I enjoyed either MTMTE or RID so far. But this, this,,,,,,,,,, I really don't like it much. Don't really know why but guess the reason is Prowl brought back the guy who should never ever be named.

So here is my theory. Autobots died in MTMTE and Decepticons died in RID. That's the way they brought it even?

Like many people, the mystery Prowl dragged Dirge around is really unknown. Totally not logical but guess there could be a purpose later. I hope.

Bumblebee, he should really be fired.

Scrapper got killed and now all Constructicons are dead. Now since Bombshell is dead, I guess the other two Inceticons will be dead soon.......................
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

After four issues of RID I'm not sure I "get" what Barber is aiming for. Worse still, I'm not sure Barber gets it 100% himself.

At points in this issue I was under the impression that Prowl was starting to get lost within his own machinations and starting to realise that actions like teaming with a psycho like Arcee where taken him further from his ideals and more towards the type of autobot he despised. But then at the end he starts slaughtering Decepticons and declaring war against anyone who doesnt fall in line.

Something needs to tie this book together and give it an overall focus. I would have thought that the arrival of the nails would have seen more of a focus on them being interjected into Autobot/ Decepticon world but we havent seen much of the nails at all. They're something in the background to be talked about but not really involved.

I feel that if the book had of focused on Metalhawk and Bumblebee trying to bring the 3 communities together and gradually allowing Starscream in, we could have had some interesting stuff. There could have been seeds showing Prowl slowly getting entangled into his own web, before moving onto this story but it all feels too rushed.

I'm not sure where we go next. "fan-favorite" Sky bite doesn't seem like the answer. Nor does adding yet more characters to a story which hasnt really established any real leads.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Let me see if I can summarise this:

In issue 1, Horri-Bull is executed by Bumblebee for essentially being a bully and thug. Bee didn’t try and find a way to incapacitate him.

In 2, Skywarp is beaten (and presumably arrested) for attempting an assassination, whilst Ratbat – who masterminded the plot – is brutally executed without arrest or trial.

There’s nothing too controversial in 3, but then in 4 the madness goes off the chart: Prowl murders Bombshell in cold blood, suspecting him of masterminding Skydive’s death; then attempts to kill Dirge for witnessing it (after purposefully dragging him along), before coldly blowing the heads off the remaining Constructicons. All this plus Arcee kills Sunstorm while he’s under mind control. All excessive, and all presumably unlawful during peace time. No arrests, no trials, just cold executions.

So far, the Decepticons have only successfully killed Skydive, one of their own – if, in fact, Bombshell was responsible. Meanwhile, the Autobots have a headcount of 9. Prowl and Arcee are putting Movie Optimus’ psycho moments to shame – and at least he had the semi-justification of being at war with innocent lives in danger – this series is supposedly taking place under a truce.

There’s certainly something interesting in the idea of the Autobots becoming more violent once the war ends, and drawing parallels with occupation forces keeping order over an unhappy populace. But there are no heroes here. Not even a lone voice of protest. I like the art, I like the setup for the series, but it’s hard to care when there are no sympathetic characters.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I seem to be in a minority in enjoying this book a fair bit (despite buying every issue weeks after everyone else.)
I get on alright with Bee, Wheeljack and a few others. Sure, this issue went a bit far but if Prowl is being set up for a fall, I'm ok with that. I'm hoping its in a fight with Bumbs and his other fellow 'Bots.

But generally, I'm just enjoying the overall sense that this is a Transformers comic telling stories I actually haven't read before. I look forward to this one almost as much as MTMtE
I like bears.
Terome

Post by Terome »

But generally, I'm just enjoying the overall sense that this is a Transformers comic telling stories I actually haven't read before. I look forward to this one almost as much as MTMtE
Yeah, I think that is a pretty significant thing that is being overlooked. I'm not too bothered about the unsympathetic characters, myself, so long as things are kept interesting.
zigzagger

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #5

Post by zigzagger »

This is your all purpose Transformers: Robots In Disguise #5 reaction and discussion thread.

Preview @ Newsarama.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Glad to see we might be getting some of the more political work with Metalhawk and co.

But...

Prowl is now against killing? Didn't he have a mini massacre last issue?

And Arcee isn't acting like an assassin? Could have fooled me?

Also, I dont know much about Sky Byte but he looks an unlikely fir for a poet. But I'll leave that niggle until I read the full thing.