Transformers #1-6 (Ongoing) / Vol. 1 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Though calling him a liar to his face is perhaps a bit harsh as there's no way to disprove it wasn't planned all along (calling him out on some of the unsupported claims he made about the inaccuracy of the official sales figures is fair enough though) t's actually much kinder to McCarthy to assume that the Sunstreaker thing was a last minuet change. Because if it wasn't, if it was planned like that right from the start that's an extraordinarily inept bit of plotting. Having your traitor stand around doing nothing for six issues before ramming him into the action in a non subtle way five seconds before his treachery is revealed is just piss poor.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Just read #1 and #2 back to back and I enjoyed them. The concept, dialogue, plot and execution are all strong, and faces aside, I love the art.

Of course, the continuity is terrible – there’s no escaping the fact that the creators are not reading / acknowledging their predecessors or contemporaries work (Ore 13 from Infiltration and Prowl’s characterisation from AHM #15 respectively) and that’s pretty shocking.

Spike is very unlikeable, and in terms of military realism he’s a joke, but like Andersonh1 I’m hoping that this is the beginning of a more interesting character arc for the character as he gets to know Prime and matures / stands up to his face changing Dad etc.

Bottom line is, by removing both faction leaders and opening up the idea of the Transformers dealing with the end of their war, the direction of the series really interests me, in a way AHM never did.
Lonewyrm
Protoform

Post by Lonewyrm »

I'm enjoying this so far anyway, I think the effect of having the franchise overhauled so often throughout the years makes me more disposed to just viewing this separately from AHM.

I've a specific question about #2 though, on page 5, bottom panel, who is the bot behind Jazz? I was leaning towards Ultra Magnus, until he was ruled out at the end of the issue. Looks like the nightwatch redeco of movie Prime, but I'm drawing a blank for who it's meant to represent.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

[quote="Lonewyrm"]I've a specific question about #2 though, on page 5, bottom panel, who is the bot behind Jazz? [quote]

Looks like Grimlock to me, but I haven't read the comic in question so he may be a ridiculous suggestion...
Wreck and Rule!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Perused a copy of this and it continues to not be horrible. I much prefer the art of that Chee fellow though.

I can't penetrate the in-universe reason for Bumblebee being nominated as leader over guys like Silverbolt, but it's an interesting new development that is clearly rooted in the fact that this is the Sunbow Bumblebee, not the IDW one.

Strangely, while I was not tempted to entirely agree with the art complaints on the first issue and previews, I caught myself quite taken aback by how bad it all looks here, especially when there's a showy-off, flashy moment like that inexplicable half-page of Cliffjumper pointing to himself about half way through.

Thought the scene with the Decepticons was gold though. Swindle and Hot Rod are exactly the kind of scum who float to the top in real-life situations like these. Hot Rod reminds me of the warlords who carved out territories in Balklands in the 90's and Swindle would be right at home as a minor king during the Crusades.

Ore-13 is definitely the biggest of all the elephants in the room, continuity wise, with the question of Omega's fuel consumption being a plot point, but I guess that's that.

Liking the look of the Bumblebee series and the general feel of this set-up. I'm almost sure that this relaunch is being handled very well, even if it is not really for me.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Isnt it possible that the dead universe bots used up or contaminated the ore 13 supplies? It was the reason they had to use earth anyway. That would at least explain the removal of the best reason for the decepticons to return to earth...
andersonh1
Protoform

Post by andersonh1 »

inflatable dalek wrote: t's actually much kinder to McCarthy to assume that the Sunstreaker thing was a last minuet change. Because if it wasn't, if it was planned like that right from the start that's an extraordinarily inept bit of plotting. Having your traitor stand around doing nothing for six issues before ramming him into the action in a non subtle way five seconds before his treachery is revealed is just piss poor.
I don't really agree, but I don't want to rehash AHM all over again. Let's just hope the new series is more to everyone's liking.
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

Terome wrote:Ore-13 is definitely the biggest of all the elephants in the room, continuity wise, with the question of Omega's fuel consumption being a plot point, but I guess that's that.
I dont remember the autobots ever useing ore13. They fought thunderwing and Megatron when both were juiced on it. And then the dead universe crew was mining it. Seems to be a vilians only plot device. Since theres no robovilians (only the humans) theres no need to mention it.

or...

The decepticons took it all while they were on earth and it was just another thing that happened off pannel that McCarthy never mentioned.

Or...

Prime may have banned it or just never told any of the current cast of autobots about it.

or...

The reboot may have phased it out. Does continuum mention it anywhere?

or...

The current writer doesnt care.
BeastWars 4ever
Protoform

Post by BeastWars 4ever »

I really loved this issue. Both issues so far, actually. Here is my full review: http://tfzonethetransformersblog.blogsp ... eview.html
zigzagger

Transformers #3 (Ongoing)

Post by zigzagger »

This is your all purpose Transformers #3 reaction and discussion thread.

Out January 13.

Preview pages @ newsarama.com.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Heh, now Magnus is acting like Robert Stack.(Robert Stack as Elliot Ness I mean).

And Seaspray's design; Tre-mucho mizola Don. Whatta guy. Do hope we see more of S.S. (as I'm sure H.R. would call him).

[Edit]Bugger, Wildrider beat me to it.
Sades

Post by Sades »

It's been a couple of years (iirc) since I've read anything current comics-wise, so I have no idea what's going on. I'm intrigued.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Another nice issue.

Skimpy on the action side, but on the character-focus side of things, it's exactly what I want to see. Though I will say Jetfire seemed out of sorts.

Loved the Swindle and Blurr moments. Awesome.

Art great, as usual. I wonder if Don made Huffer the ugliest bot I have ever seen on purpose.

Give it a "B". Issue read quick and not much plot progression, but still enjoyed it. Three issues in, things are still looking good to me.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Still not too bad. Theres a few niggles (silly stuff like the electric cage on prime when he really should have been immobilized) but theres also some nice touches. Swindles little wink is nicely drawn and really shows some character. Still reckon that robots with specific facial parts work better then those with the standard face under Dons style. Hoist, Beach Comber, Swindle all look much better then hot-rod, mirage etc.

We also get another human character - and if he doesnt get promoted ahead of spike by his dad, which then leads to Spike seeing the light and helping the autobots I'll be amazed. Reminded me a bit of circut breaker with the power suit and could well be annoying - and not in the intended way.

So, still going well. I was a bit confused by the tagline for the next issue though - didnt everyone see thundercracker in the second issue?
fantomdranzerx
Protoform

Post by fantomdranzerx »

Looks pretty good. I'm really liking Don's new style. His mouths seem to just need some fixing; everything else looks pretty good to me. :)
"Adult Robots may not act like children."---Excerpt from the Robot Law (Astro Boy)
DeviantArt
kupimus aka(clocker)
Protoform

Post by kupimus aka(clocker) »

just read tf 3 and i thought it was ok. i liked that someone actually escaped the humans attack, rather than them all just being captured. i liked it when ultra magnus transformed. i think jetfire doesnt look as good as in stormbringer. i think its his ankles. do you think the deceps hot rods helping will combine into demenacus?
Let this be thy final lesson monster, no man is e'er defeated till his last breath is drawn! And e'en THEN, 'tis most unwise for the victor to assume the battle is ended, for with god and man, a war is ne'er over till the ultimate wrong is set aright and the final villain is DONE!
zigzagger

Transformers #4 (Ongoing)

Post by zigzagger »

This is your all purpose Transformers #4 Spotlight: Thundercracker reaction and discussion thread.

Out February 24.

Preview @ Comics Continuum

ImageImageImageImageImage
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

If ever there were a statement issue to reaffirm my faith in the writing talents of Mike Costa, this is it.

Simply put, this is the most intelligently written TF comic to date since Roche gave us the Kup spotlight. For the past three years, I have been begging IDW to push the envelope that much further, and reach out to the readers who approach life from a bit more of a mature angle than what we are usually given from a toy-based comic. Costa has answered that challenge in spades here.

To start, Thundercracker's internal musings are the perfect example of how to use inner monologue effectively. If I wasn't a fan of TC before, I am now. Costa is able to take that ambiguity of feelings that Thundercracker possesses and that the tech specs and McCarthy practically pushed into our faces, and delves much deeper into TC's pysche to explain what that very ambiguity is based on. Clearly, it's based on an intellect that appreciates, in a philosophical way, the finer points of life. In this sense, TC actually comes off as being so much more superior to his fellow Decepticons, Megatron included. In fact, he himself comes to that self-realization of Megatron's real weakness.

And somehow, Costa is able to sandwhich in between this both plot progression and nods to past continuity ala Nick Roche. For example, Swindle's look of abject horror as he makes out, who else, but his nemesis Ultra Magnus making his way over the horizon. Swindle is yet another expertly written character here, as you can see Hotrod unsuspectingly about to get, well, swindled.

I really can't say enough good about this issue. But I'm going to say more anyway. :) Don is the man. If anyone can convey a sense of power to the TF, it's him. Another great job.

Give it an "A+", the perfect example of what I want out of a TF comic book. IF LSOTW and this issue are any indication of what IDW has got in store for us, it's a damn good time to be a TF fan. :)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Certainly the best issue from Costa, I dont think I'll go quite as far as the commander with my praise but its a good read.

Thundercracker is nicely done. His reasoning is well thought out and fits. Thats a rare feat in IDW of late. The basic plot also rolls along well enough, swindle once again being nicely done. Hot rod/ rodimus is starting to find his feet a bit better - less of the wolverine-lite of earlier issues. And unlike the Bumblebee series, his failures to spoot him being led are done a bit better. Altough I'd argue that considering he had to contend with doubledealer, he'd be a bit more on gaurd.

The link to LSOTW with prowl and magnus doesnt seem to make much sense to me. It doesnt seem to be fitting right and I wonder if it was always the plan or if it just came up in one script and the other had to accomadate it. Magnus himself is still far too ridgid in his "I am DE LAW!" mentality. His character seems to be based solely on his first spotlight. If you read LSOTW 2 and Ongoing 4 , it could be 2 different characters. Having said that, the direction with Magnus is interesting and could led to some good stuff so I can excuse it.

But it points to the main problem Costa and all the other writers have to contend with. The plotline has been so tossed around that its hard to get characters to sync up over the various arcs. Hot rod is in his third incarnation. That says a lot.

But this issue at least seems to indicate that Costa is into his characters even if they dont quite fit what other writers have done. Hopefully he'll get long enough that these problems become less and less as he makes them his own. IDW could certainly ease this task by making sure other writers follow costas basic character outlines - Bumblebee #2s fan reaction shows what happens when you let 2 writers go off on their own in comics which feature the same universe and characters.

A few niggles - Surely Octane (tankor) was around when Thundercracker had his moment of betrayal - after all, he dropped the bomb that thundercracker caught! And Dons humans look a bit weird. Really starting to enjoy the re-designs though.

Overall 4 energon cubes with 1 being for the optimism this issue creates :)
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Well, that was good enough to... get me to buy next issue.

Which is actually an improvement, as I may not have even picked up this issue if I hadn't read the positive feedback people here had to the preview pages. But, there was some to like here, with Thundercracker providing an interesting focus character. And I liked the origin of "Rodimus Prime", though Rod correcting Ultra Magnus about it still made him come off as kind of an insufferable prick. (Possibly intentionally...) And I do find myself interested in seeing the Stunticons show up - they feel underutilized, at least in comics...

But, I'm still not much of a fan of the human race in TF being anything more than helpless, impotent spectators (or, at most, nuisances). And I still find these re-designs to be grotesquely unpleasant, and likely to ultimately help drive me off. And this series, along with AHM and tie-ins (and Megatron Origins) is still being filed in a separate place from the (favored) rest of IDW's "G1" in my collection.

Still, it's getting me to buy at least one more issue of "Ongoing". And that's as much as any TF series, save Wreckers, can get from me at this point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]