TFWire is dead. Anyone bothered?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
borg72

TFWire is dead. Anyone bothered?

Post by borg72 »

So the self-proclaimed 'first transformers podcast' is ending.

on the one hand, i was totally fed up with the moaning, bitching, and just general lack of care that went into it. I can understand a show host not knowing everything about everything, but if its something you're going to be discussing, at least take five minutes to google the damn topic.

On the other hand, I'm as much annoyed at people professing to be fans, who obviously cared enough in the first place to give over several hours of their week free of charge, now claiming to be 'burned out' on transformers. it strikes me as very contradictory.

so mixed feelings. i'll be sorry to see it go, but at the same time, it died a long time ago when they obviously got bored of doing it.

i forget the point i was grasping for. any thoughts?
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

Huh. First TF podcast I listened to - within the last year - and liked the fact that it was fairly bite-sized on a regular basis (seriously, podcasts do not need to be multiple hours long). But I soured on it very, *very* quickly, because while it might have been something worthwhile in its early years, but the time I was listening to it, it had degenerated into nothing but bitching and moaning by two guys whose very *voices* sounded disinterested, who would, every week, essentially say "Why do companies do things I don't like, they should do the things I like, I know better than them, companies are the devil." Haven't listened to it since the start of the year, and ain't gonna miss it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Personally length doesn't bother me because when I do listen to podcasts it's whilst working, where something that lasts a couple of hours is a good thing (because constantly fiddling with my MP3 player might be too obvious in terms of the "No one can have phones or music on them, but if we don't know we don't tell" no mans land agreement we have). The one podcast I listen to every week is the Andrew Collins/Richard Herring one which is always a hour and six minuets of made up on the spot piss taking of the news.

I have listened to the odd Moonbase 2 podcast and post AA plan to make a regular thing of it (and again, length doesn't matter, the podcast with the Allspark Almanac interview in it was three hours long!), because it's hosted by people who seem to be enjoying themselves and know what they're talking about (or when they don't know will admit it), that's all the difference. I can't recall if it was TFwire or not but other podcasts I've tried have been full of very dull sounding Americans (I mean, seriously, what region produces that flat unvaried and dull accent that seems to pop up in this sort of thing?) who only want to talk about the toys against all else, which isn't my bag.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
skywarp408
Protoform

Post by skywarp408 »

Been a fan/member of TFwire since day one and will miss them.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I had no idea they were still going... The ones I listened to ages ago were basically fanboy grumbling.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

From the drama I heard about (the host kicking out his staff on a regular basis with no specific reason given and replacing them with new guys), I'm not really bothered.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

inflatable dalek wrote:I have listened to the odd Moonbase 2 podcast and post AA plan to make a regular thing of it (and again, length doesn't matter, the podcast with the Allspark Almanac interview in it was three hours long!), because it's hosted by people who seem to be enjoying themselves and know what they're talking about (or when they don't know will admit it), that's all the difference. I can't recall if it was TFwire or not but other podcasts I've tried have been full of very dull sounding Americans (I mean, seriously, what region produces that flat unvaried and dull accent that seems to pop up in this sort of thing?) who only want to talk about the toys against all else, which isn't my bag.
It's so bloody true, isn't it? While I do often wish Dave and Andy could make their shows a bit shorter (lads, you don't need to pad, and draw attention to the fact you are padding your show, when you have two hours of material already!), they are *always* enthusiastic about what they're doing, fun and funny to listen to, and who talk about all walks of TF, and for that reason, I always listen to the Moonbase, even if it takes me a while to get through. Every time I've ever tried listening to an American podcast, be it TFWire or anything else, the hosts are always so woefully dull-sounding, who either don't really know what they're talking about, or are a terrible bunch of "look how many toys I have" types.

Also, I'm going to need a link to that Richard Herring podcast. Jelly!
skywarp408
Protoform

Post by skywarp408 »

Nevermore wrote:From the drama I heard about (the host kicking out his staff on a regular basis with no specific reason given and replacing them with new guys), I'm not really bothered.
You heard wrong. I know the host and he never kicked off anyone. All the previous guys left on their own.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I love this sort of crap, really I do.

ARMOR LOCK STANDING BY!!!!

i.e. can we at least have some sort of verifiable information if we're living up to the bitchy fandom tag?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

skywarp408 wrote:You heard wrong. I know the host and he never kicked off anyone. All the previous guys left on their own.
Then I guess one of the previous guys I know lied to me?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Chris McFeely wrote:It's so bloody true, isn't it? While I do often wish Dave and Andy could make their shows a bit shorter (lads, you don't need to pad, and draw attention to the fact you are padding your show, when you have two hours of material already!), they are *always* enthusiastic about what they're doing, fun and funny to listen to, and who talk about all walks of TF, and for that reason, I always listen to the Moonbase, even if it takes me a while to get through.
Mmm, enjoyed that chat with Mr Roche when I got around to listening to it. I still think podcasts (which is a bit of a grandiose title for an MP3 file) are a very crap way of getting across news that could be scanned in a few seconds as text, but it's nice to listen to people being enthusiastic about stuff they like.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

... I'd never even heard of TFWire until this thread.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Chris McFeely wrote: Also, I'm going to need a link to that Richard Herring podcast. Jelly!
http://www.comedy.org.uk/podcasts/collingsherrin/

I was a huge This Mourning... fan but was initially put of by Collins presence due to his entire career seemingly being based around popping up on nostalgia shows to tell you things you liked as a child often seem crap when revisited as an adult. They do actually play really well of each other though. It's entirely made up on the spot which means the quality can vary but it's rarely less than entertaining and this weeks (80) is especially good. I started listening to it around the start of the year after being pointed to it from a Who forum (after a show where there was a long discussion on sexually assaulting the Doctors in order, including the dead ones. Lots of stuff that sounds extremely odd out of context) and quickly got through the back catalogue as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Halfshell wrote:... I'd never even heard of TFWire until this thread.
ditto
i'd never thought to listen to a TF podcast but now I'm actually intrigued.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I enjoy the Moonbase 2 casts. Listened to one Tfwire show and just thought it was pretty tedious. Too much bitching and moaning. Nowt wrong with a bit of reasoned critique but for gods sake if it's your hobby try and sound like you get some sort of enjoyment from it.

Herring and Collins is indeed a good podcast but I'd also recommend The Bugle by Andy Zaltzman and John Oliver. Two podcast highlights every week.

Andy
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

TFWire was the first one I found, and it kinda got me into the entire podcast thing. I found TFormers one afterwards and it quickly took over then I found MB2 and that and Tformers are the two I went for. TFWire died off after they did a few round tables last year, which were really good, but it seemed to get bogged down with a lot of disintrest. Which is kinda a shame, as I do think Ryan can be funny.

It's a shame to see it go, but it's been limping for a long while now.

Oh, and now that Radio Free Cybertron is back, the actual first TF-podcast-just-not-in-name is going strong.
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984