TFU Galvatron Vs Takara Anime Galvatron

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.

Which does G1 Galvatron the best justice?

Takara G1 Anime accurate reissue/repaint
47%
Universe / Classics Galvatron
47%
Pah - Galvatron just sucks, man!
6%

Total votes: 17

numbat

TFU Galvatron Vs Takara Anime Galvatron

Post by numbat »

Now, the Universe / Classics line have been giving us some great updates of G1 characters.

However, I have miced feelings about Galvatron.

I was very excited when I heard he was gonna get the Classics treatment - he is one of my favourite G1 characters. He's far more complex and frightening (if any TF truly is...) than Megatron, and turns in to a giant artillery piece as opposed to a handgun. I had hoped he may keep a more Cybertronian cannon style alt mode, but a tank seemed a fitting alternative.

However, the Deluxe scale is a slight irk - he is the leader of the Decepticons, for crimeny! He could at least be a Voyager to match Prime and Megs - I had almost expected him to be one of the Ultras, though, when the size class was announced originally.

I have heard that he's even a rather small Deluxe (not good, with some giant Deluxes in the line, such as Sunstreaker).

And the robot mode does look, erm, not quite so G1-ish compared with other Classics / TFU offerings. Sure, he has a few components, like the stomach and great face sculpt, but the amount of grey and blocky tank parts seem a far cry from the sleek techno design of the G1 character.

So... Has anyone managed to pick him up over the pond yet, or have opinions here?

I mean, sure, I really love Cybertron Unicron, so size shouldn't be the biggest issue here... But, I like the Classics display aspect, and that Unicron is meant to be smaller, and can easily pose as another character... (He has novelty value at the least... itsy bitsy Unicron... awww...)

I really like the Takara Anime accurate reissue/repaint of the G1 Galvatron figure. The trouble I always found with Galvatron was the fact he had such a good character, and such a poor toy, you see. But this was really down to the awful colours used. With a lick of purple (boardering on lilac, unfortunately), the figure improved ten fold.

So - is TFU Galvatron worth it? And is he an improvement on the G1 reissue (as a modern figure really ought to be?).

Should I shell out for him?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Haven't got it (TFU), but i like the reissue. Anime Colours!

Check ur PM!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Sunstreaker is a little taller than most Deluxe class figures, but he's still short compared to Lockdown! As for Galvatron, since Hasbro either can't or is unwilling to do any gun-formers, the Universe version seems to work OK as a tank. Though his size compared to his complexity may have people pulling their hair out. I personally don't know about him, but I'd say give Universe Galvatron a try. You can try to return him if you don't like him.:)
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

I have the "Anime colors" reissue as well, I quite like it. It IS oversized (standing next to Rodimus Prime), but they had to do that to get the pistol mode in there, I guess.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I think they made Galvatron the size he is so as he could match the Ultra Magnus size class type affair - they were the two 'leaders' / 'City Commanders' at the time. Roddy was a wee-er guy.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

If you're talking about that G1 Galvatron toy, then yes, the colors are astounding. But the mould is just AWFUL.

I'll stick with TFU, even though I don't like it much still.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

numbat wrote:I think they made Galvatron the size he is so as he could match the Ultra Magnus size class type affair - they were the two 'leaders' / 'City Commanders' at the time. Roddy was a wee-er guy.
****. Now that you mention it, Universe Galvatron is around the same size as Classics Rodimus/Hot Rod.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

at first i was "meh" about my TFU Galvatron but then i spent a two hour car ride with him and learned to love him. His articulation rivals much larger toys and his transformation got MUCH easier with practice.

I think he is the best Galvatron yet.
Come on and wind me up.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Anime Galvatron, for some reason the toy always looks much worse in pictures (or perhaps the grey version just sucks more?), but he's got a surprising amount of articulation for a G1 toy his size, looks good and when you press his chest he shouts at you in Japanese (what noises did the original toy make?). Only real duff not is the third "Cannon's don't have much playability do they? Fiddle with him a bit and call it a gun" mode.

And who cares if he's not in scale with Rodimus? The Rodimus toy is crap.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Universe Galvatron looks great. This is only the toy. Of the cooler design, IDW Guido Guidi's Galvatron is kickass, being better than any Galvatron we've seen so far.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The more and more I look at TFU Galvatron, the more I like him. I never saw the anime colors.
numbat

Post by numbat »

ganon578 wrote:The more and more I look at TFU Galvatron, the more I like him. I never saw the anime colors.
If you mean the Takara reissue/recolour, then look below (and the art shows you what the cartoon character looks like, pretty much - slightly darker purple, similar to the TFU figure rather than the lighter purple used on this guy)...

Also items on eBay.
PresidentSEARS

Post by PresidentSEARS »

As much as it's kind of kicking this question in the balls.
I still think that the TRU mini Galvatron from Energon is the nicest Galv in toy form, he's a little bulky, in some places he's too round, and of course - he's not the greatest display-wise, but i like him.
The Takara reissue, although being (almost) show accurate, is still just a reissue of the toy who, let's face it, isn't that great. Sure, G1 Galvatron was OK as a kid, and he's a good sized leader fig, but there's something which just kind of, well, sucks.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

numbat wrote:If you mean the Takara reissue/recolour, then look below (and the art shows you what the cartoon character looks like, pretty much - slightly darker purple, similar to the TFU figure rather than the lighter purple used on this guy)...
Thanks for the photos! Yeah, that's the one I remember seeing now. I've seen the Hasbro one too, don't care for the colors on it. TFU Galvatron looks more like the Takara one to me, which I think is MUCH better. I may just have to work Galvatron into the budget.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Seibertron.com finally has a gallery up of Universe Galvy; there are also comparision pics of the G1 figure.

This figure keeps looking better!
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

I wished he was bigger. He look ridiculously small next to Classic Megatron. And I am pretty sure Rodimus Prime was much taller then Hot Rod/Rodimus. So for a leader vs. leader size, its should had been compared to Rodimus Prime.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Lookin at the photos, I like the head sculpt but not much else so far. The turret-as-arm thing doesn't quite grab me, and he does look a tad short. But you never know, I do like tanks (although G1 Galvy's cannon mode was never a sticking point with me, got to blow em away on the battlefield somehow) :)
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

PresidentSEARS wrote:As much as it's kind of kicking this question in the balls.
I still think that the TRU mini Galvatron from Energon is the nicest Galv in toy form, he's a little bulky, in some places he's too round, and of course - he's not the greatest display-wise, but i like him.

Yeah, I liked that one too! The gunship mode fits him nicely.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Just got the guy, and I like him. His instructions don't help a lot, but he is neat. I think I'll use him as a city commander in my story I'm planning.