-poll deleted-

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Hey, that's fine about the different bio's. They do tend to change depending on what size/price range you're looking at. Coincidentally, this appears to be the only version of Animated Starscream to get the placement of the lasers right (under the wings as opposed to under the fuselage).
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Probably isn't the place for this, but activators Starscream is 9/10 the fun of Voyager Starscream for 1/3 the price.

Love activators screamer.
Come on and wind me up.
Detective Barricade

Ani Starscream Review Pictures!

Moving these to the Photo Submissions thread...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

Picture Time!

Well, that's the written part done. And here's some pictures to go along with it!

1) Optimus in vehicle
2) Robot
3) Face plate down and axe stored on back
4) And they say he doesn't have a show-accurate axe...;)
Attachments
AniOptimusPrime_addimg2.JPG
AniOptimusPrime_addimg.JPG
AniOptimusPrime_Robot.JPG
AniOptimusPrime_Alt.JPG
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zeoman4.5

Post by zeoman4.5 »

Yes, I did notice that about the Movie figures, that the different size classes
got different bios.

As for AnotherTFfan, your probably right about that ratio, but I don't own
voyager Screamer, so I can't say personally. He's my favorite of my animated figures so far.
Detective Barricade

Assuming the price you gave is in USD (US Dollar), it would be more like 2/5 the price.:) And is likely about twice as fast to transform than the Voyager, as you'd have to move the waist manually instead of push a button!:lol:
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blackjack

Review of Speed Dial 800 [proofed with photos]

Post by Blackjack »

Name: Speed Dial 800
Allegiance: Autobot
Function: Surveillance/Annoyance
Alt mode: Flip-up cell phone

Quote: "Connect. Record. Inform"

Ah, the mishaps that are the Real Gear Robots. Itsy bitsy Scout-sized Transformers that transform into kid-sized household objects. Kinda based on G1 Soundwave, Blaster, Reflector, Perceptor and the cassettes. Speed Dial 800 is no expectation to this. Actually possessing a rather good name, Speed Dial is probably based on Glen's Nokia that transformed into an 'itsy bitsy energizer bunny from hell' in the Sector 7 experiment in the 2007 film. Only this one's much simpler. Since Speed Dial 800 is a delusional character at best, he has zilch characterization other than the bio. The bio describes Speed Dial 800 as a surveillance/spy/infiltrator kind of guy (so Speed Dial 007 might suit him better. "The name is Dial. Speed Dial.") that just can't shut up – digitally. He keeps texting his comrades. Kind of a modern day Bluestreak – only he uses text messages.

Speed Dial 800... Well, in my reviews of Spy Shot 6 and Booster x10 I have made it clear I cannot tolerate Transformers with numbers at the end of the name. Especially random numbers. Whatever happened to plain old 'Speed Dial'? If trademark is an issue, then 'Speed Dial 8'. But 800 is much better than some, such as 'Twitcher F451'. Ugh. Henceforth, I knight thee, Speed Dial 800, and thou shalt be knowneth as 'Speedy' in this review.

Speedy has been repainted once as Decepticon Wire Tap v20. Speedy himself is among the first wave of Real Gear Robots, and among this first wave Speedy is one of the two (Power Up is the other one) that didn't have his name tattooed on him somewhere.

Since I hate Real Gears so much, why do I review Speedy, you ask. Well, I coincidentally had this little geek as my first Autobot, buying it after Power Up. Damn.

Alternate Mode:

Speedy transforms into a flip-up cell phone. Cell phone. Whatever. Anyways, this is probably based on the Nokia flip-up phone mutated by the AllSpark in the Movie. Speedy has an Autobot symbol as well as the time – ‘7:47’ – on the mini screen on front of the flip up. Of course, this is the date Transformers the Movie was released. 4th July 2007. After flipping it open, the main screen sports an Autobot symbol as the wallpaper, surrounded by normal Handphone signs including ‘menu’, ‘select’, ‘battery’ etc.

Speedy's keypad is the same, or similar to the basic Nokia cell phone. But there are massive creases in the keypad, where the legs are ‘hidden’.

Overall colouring is dark grey, with lighter grey and light blue for detailing. At the rear of the phone mode is a lens for the camera and a 'key chain' on top. I kid you not. However, the rear plate is covered with indentations. This ruins the whole 'sleek cell phone Transformer' thing. There are volume button mock-ups on the sides though.

It's about the size of a big cell phone. That's it. No action features, no attack modes, no cute little cameos, no movement... Bor-ing.

Robot Mode:

Ok... The transformation is freaky. The keypad splits up forming the legs and body. Then, pull out the hands. After that, turn the whole screen until the camera lens faces the front, and open the face shield. Da! Robot mode.

Not at all the spidery creature with a mini-minigun in the movie. This guy is waaaay too Playskool.

The feet are plain, not too detailed. The arms are too short and small, but must receive some credit for having pincer hands. Actually resembles the hands of a G1 Wheeljack toy. If you squint. The chest is made of the top part of the keypad (above the numpad).

The face... Oh the face... Is the camera lens. Like Swindle. And Payload. And Dreadwing. And Overcast. And Camshaft. Honestly? I don't mind lens heads. But it does mean lens heads are little mindless drones. Haha! At least Speedy has a silver mouth underneath. Stock photos are mistransformed, with the faceplate covering the mouth.

No tiny guns, no little swords (or forks), not even construction tools. Boo. Boooo. BOOOOOOOO!

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation: 2 – Whaddya expect? Easier than a Minibot.
Durability: 7 – Oh, he is durable. I tried to break him, but damn ball joints allow him to snap back together again.
Fun: 2 – Speedy is no fun at all. No weaponry, no special skills (i.e. Meantime, Longview), you can't pretend he's an older Transformer (i.e. Spy Shot, Booster), boring...
Price: 2 – Trust me, he's not worth it.
Overall: 5 – If it weren't for the unusual alt mode, Speedy won't sell. If it weren't for sentimental value, I wouldn't have kept him. Kids like the 'cute' (BLEEARGH) robot but for us more *ahem* mature collectors, it sucks.
electro girl

Review of Movie Rescue Ratchet [proofed with photos]

Post by electro girl »

Name: Rescue Ratchet
Allegiance: Autobots
Function: Autobot medic

His repainted vehicle helps Ratchet save more Autobots than ever!

Ok so this is the situation; I have the worst hangover in the world ever, I'm in the centre of London and I have only half an hour until my train to Hull departs (such is the life of a jet setting sociologist). You see I have a kind of tradition that’s been going for 2 or 3 years where whenever I go to London I buy a Transformer.

So I’m without a Transformer and I’m thinking 'Crap! I’m without a Transformer!' This is when I say to my friends 'Come on I NEED a Transformer before we leave.' So we're power walking down Oxford street towards Hamleys with our heads pounding just so I could get a Transformer.

After getting to the floor with the TFs I see a sparse range of movie toys which were mostly robot replicas or those arm blaster things so I grabbed Ratchet and left for Kings Cross, and that, boys and girls, is the story of how I came by Rescue Ratchet.

Ok I realise that’s not what you came for so here begins the review.

Alternate Mode:

Rescue Ratchet’s alternate mode is a Hummer H2 that has been modded into an emergency vehicle. In the film Ratchet is green and is from the fire service but this version is a repaint designed to look more like his G1 counterpart, and so he is now a red and white ambulance style Hummer.

As I said the main colours in this mode are red and white, with clear blue for windows and black and grey for general motor parts. One of the most noticeable features of the colour scheme is the red flat line/ heart monitor on the side which I think is a really nice touch. This mode also has 'AMBULANCE' written on it just in case you didn't realise he is an ambulance. (A mistake with this is that ambulance is not written backwards on his bonnet).

I think this is a really good looking vehicle mode (even if the colour is a tad flat looking) and the overall placement of robot parts is almost invisible (unless you turn him upside-down). Ratchet is pretty realistic in this mode and looks like a real tough and hardy vehicle, I particularly like the front grill and roof rack witch are moulded in grey plastic.

A short coming with mine is that the transformation piece that hides the head will no longer stay in place and thats a bit irritating.

Not much more I can say about this mode as it’s pretty straight forward, so on to the robot.

Robot Mode:

After what is at first a difficult transformation we come to Ratchet’s robot mode and it’s a little... odd.

He has a really short body and massive legs which look a bit out of proportion – what’s more this makes his arms look a bit weird also.

My favourite part of this mode is the legs (and the crotch), especially the upper portions. Apart from the two plates at the back the legs have retained the look of the ‘bot’s in the movie very well indeed. The lower legs are a slightly less spectacular but still nice and robotic, a premium version of this figure would accentuate these parts fantastically. It is here that we see Ratchet’s Automorph feature, as his feet fold down from the roof of the Hummer two panels protrude from his inside leg and his knee caps pop out. This is a perfectly nice feature but the figure could have managed just as well without it.

Ratchet’s upper body is made up of the front section of his vehicle mode, and this is where most of the vehicle parts can be seen in this mode as it houses the bonnet, the front wheels and the doors. This doesn’t really take much away from the figure but it's noticeable.

In this mode Ratchet has a weapon not seen in the film, his vehicle’s roof rack and spare tyre convert into a pincer that mounts onto his left arm and can be stored on his back when not in use. It's a good weapon but in all probability the designers just couldn’t find anywhere to put it and just used it as a poor substitute for his missing arm saw.

His other arm houses his gun/obscure medical instrument probably meant to indicate his saw blade. The gun is ok – it flips out from his forearm but doesn’t have any kind of barrel so it’s not obvious it's a gun unless you've seen the film. From here you can fold his hand into his arm and split the gun to form his obscure medical instrument, but this 'weapon' adds very little to the figure and just looks like a butterfly on his arm.

By far his worst body part is the head. The head mould itself is fine but the colours are awful! The front of his face is painted a funny kinda red with the top and back in white plastic. This just looks as if Hasbro couldn’t be bothered to paint the entire head, and, what’s more, the blue light piping sticks out a mile.

To sum up this is a decent figure considering I bought it in a rush and whilst nursing a hangover. A few niggles aside it’s quite enjoyable and could be improved tenfold with a premium series release. (Which it received in October 2007 as a Best Buy exclusive in the USA.)

Transformation: 7.5 – Difficult at first but soon becomes familiar.
Durability: 10 – I can’t see anything coming off this bulky figure anytime soon.
Fun: 8 – Needs the saw but is by no means boring.
Price: 4 – At £26 ($52) this is an expensive toy but only due to where I purchased it – Hamleys is no place to hunt for a bargain (UK retail is generally at ~£20 [$40]).
Overall: 7.5 – You can take it or leave it. Worth it if you want the G1 colours but not if you already have the normal Ratchet.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Oh, before I forget...:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

A round of applause and cheers :lol::lol::lol:to the Review uploading mods. Never thought you could upload practically everything in one day. Was looking for my older reviews and I was like WTF what happened to everything. Cheers and congrats. :cheers::cheers:

Pictures of Speedy are ready. Now that all of my reviews have been uploaded, expect more, especially from the Movie and Classics line.
Attachments
Speedial_alt.jpg
Speeddial_robot.jpg
Speeddial_alt_3.1416.jpg
Blackjack

Review of Zoom Out 25x [proofed-has photos]

Post by Blackjack »

Name: Zoom Out 25x
Allegiance: Decepticon
Function: Propaganda
Alt mode: Video camera

"Wait. Watch. Annihilate."--Zoom's motto

Yet another trick by Hasbro to try to create lower-price point Transformers. Behold... The Real Gear Robots. All of them transform into household objects, and have lame names with numbers. If it weren't for the kitbashing values of old time collectors, like, say, Spy Shot as Reflector, Booster as Laserbeak or High Score as Beastbox, only little kids would beg their parents to buy them this.

This review is about the Video Camera Decepticon, Zoom Out 25x. Part of the second wave, Zoom Out at least got a comprehensible name. 25x magnification... The closest we can get at a Perceptor reference. While the robot mode's chest and leg design harks back to G1 Reflector. Specifically Viewfinder.

Zoom Out and the other Real Gears have never appeared in any Transformers fiction. Not the video game and not in the comics. Lucky for us. He has been packed as an exclusive with fellow Decepticon Power Up VT6.

ALTERNATE MODE

Zoom Out transforms into a video camera, and a rather futuristic slick one. The screen can rotate 360 degrees. The viewfinder, regrettably, does not show anything.

The bio describes Zoom Out as a spy or a propaganda spreader that is devilishly patient. Zoom Out then waits until his target does something embarrassing and them he will catch it on tape, and edit it to make it look worse. The toy has him videotaping CYBERTRON Override, with the basic things you expect to see in the screen -- battery power level, some odd buttons, and the time (7.47of course. The debut date of Transformers the Movie) This suggests that Zoom is trying to blackmail Override. Maybe by photographing her with Hot Shot.

On the screen side, the detailing is quite nice, with a Soundwave-esque keypad, as well as the name Zoom Out 25x tattooed. On the other side however, he is very disappointing. You can clearly see Zoom's ugly head. Therefore, E for effort. However, I've been told that the screen can be folded to cover the head.

Overall, a dissatisfying alternate mode, kibbles galore, unrealistic.

ROBOT MODE

A few rotation and stuff, and Zoom becomes his robot mode. The robot mode is rather good, with little kibble, compared to the likes of Speed Dial.

The head sculpt manages not to look generic, with one eye being done like an extra targeting mechanism. Think Hardtop, Demolishor and Thrustor. Poseability is slightly limited at the shoulders due to a rotation joint. However, it is for the transformation, and I don't blame it.

Ignore the head and the pincher hands, and this is Reflector. Not Viewfinder, not Spectro, not Spyglass, but Reflector as a whole. Why? The chest piece is molded (not coloured) like Viewfinder, minus the lens. The legs are a cross of Spectro and Spyglass. Therefore, I conclude that someone is using this to make a kitbash of Reflector.

No weaponry, no sir. No little plastic guns, no action features... A non firing handgun... Is that too much to ask? Boring...

DURABILITY 7/10 Quite durable and survived a couple of crashes.
TRANSFORMATION 2/10 Simpler than a Throttlebot.
PRICE 3/10 Very expensive when all you get is this. Ugh.
FUN 4/10 Cannon fodder!
OVERALL 5/10 Avoid. Unless you want to kitbash. Or you just need a cheap Decepticon to be stepped on by Ironhide on your display case. Or you like Reflector, and if that's the case buy two Spy Shots along with this. Yes Treadshot A1, I am talking about you...
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Excuse me, did you think of the idea for kitbashing yourself? Coz this might be in ur best interest: http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... hp?t=43766
http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... hp?t=43765
http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... hp?t=43831
http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... hp?t=43764 :D

No, seriously, i like the review, if only i agreed with it. I like it over Meantime. I think that the transmech allows the face to be hidden, and you only see the back of his head. Might be better?

Don't think he was an exclusive. The two pack is just another way to sell more. Think of the old universe. Repacking and dollar chains galore. :down:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Ah, seriously just wondering here, is there any real gear that doesn't deserve 'avoid' in the overall category? Like, say, SS6?

I agree he's s***, but still semi-cute. To the average child who buys it. Think Cliffy's review of Quickswitch. :D

I like how his hands are the same (similar) shape to his lens. looks like he he can't stand his own lens head. :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

That weapon is meant to be an axe... Not that it does a convincing job of that, mind you!:D
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

I thought he was called Speed Dial 800... And more :clap: rightfully goes to the review Mods! Nice review, Blackjack! BTW, Offroad Ironhide's free to review, if you still want to do him.:)
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Detective Barricade wrote:That weapon is meant to be an axe... Not that it does a convincing job of that, mind you!:D
My thoughts exactly.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Ah, seriously just wondering here, is there any real gear that doesn't deserve 'avoid' in the overall category? Like, say, SS6?
Nope. None at all. Boosterbeak might be the only one. SS6 sucks. I have ranted about it in my early review. Should rewrite it to rant more. :lol:
I like how his hands are the same (similar) shape to his lens. looks like he he can't stand his own lens head. :lol:
How is the hands similar?

@=> Detective Barricade: Might consider reviewing Offroad Ironhide sometime, we'll see.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

No!!! I thought of that idea myself!!!

Semi-seriously... I was referring to your kitbash. I admire your work. Supposedly there should have been a sarcastic remark towards Treadshot A1 :p like the one I did towards your Insecticon kitbashes in my Venom review. It is back again, though.

About your Insecticons... Bonecrusher would work better towards Shrapnel with the pincers. But I ain't complaining.

Pictures of Zoomer. Lug Nut (or is it Lugnut?) is going smoothly... Will make more reviews to clutter up the review forum again. *feigns innocent look*
Attachments
Zoomout_robot.jpg
Zoomout_alt.jpg
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Blackjack wrote:No!!! I thought of that idea myself!!!

Semi-seriously... I was referring to your kitbash. I admire your work. Supposedly there should have been a sarcastic remark towards Treadshot A1 :p like the one I did towards your Insecticon kitbashes in my Venom review. It is back again, though.

About your Insecticons... Bonecrusher would work better towards Shrapnel with the pincers. But I ain't complaining.

Thanks for the compliment(s)! I hate BC personally, his pincers just fall off. Truth be told, i only used BB, because i thought that the insecticons would look better as cars and pickups, albeit in stealth black. Thanks!

And thanks for changing the end of teh review. Much obliged. Clay better not remove that... :)

P.S. Rattrap's going well. GW paints rawk!

P.P.S. Even noobs get respect round here! Yay! :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

And Bonecrusher would have you know that he hates the idea of being kitbashed into an Insecticon.;)
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

Animated Megatron (Leader) Review - [Proofed]

Name: Megatron
Function: Ultimate Intergalactic Tyrant
Sub-Group: Animated Leader class
"Crush the Autobots!"

Now that he has finally been able to build a body for himself, Megatron is more powerful than ever, and no force on Earth can stand against him. He is a fighter equal anywhere in the universe. Backed up by his Decepticon soldiers, he is also an expert battle leader, without peer. He is as ruthless as he is ambitious. Megatron will stop at nothing to gain the Allspark, and destroy Optimus Prime and his Autobots.

Galactic Powers and Abilities:
- Expert two-sword fighter.
- Genius-level engineer and programmer.
- Armor can deflect even focused anti-proton lasers.

In “Megatron Rising - Part 1", Megatron used the power of Sari’s key to rebuild his body, and then some, into this form. First thing he did after that was call his Decepticons to him and set an example out of Starscream. Now to the review!

Alternate Mode:

In alt. mode, Megatron turns into a futuristic dual-rotor attack helicopter with a huge cannon mounted underneath the cockpit. The overall design is quite menacing! His torso is still quite visible as the underside of the vehicle. There’s four landing gear total: two in the back, one on the back of the cannon, and one under the cockpit. The last one is fairly useless, as one needs to have the cannon on to secure the cockpit. The cannon can also rotate to some degree.

Megatron isn’t very colorful. But what colors he does have work for him. He’s mostly gray with some black. He also has some touches of red. His rotor/sword blades are silver, along with his face. And he has translucent red for his eyes, canopy, and his Decepticon symbol. Though odd, it makes sense not to paint it because of the figure’s gimmick.

Megatron is packed with gimmicks! In both modes, he has his signature cannon. To load, insert the missile and pull the back of the cannon back to “cock” it. Then push the trigger to fire. The rotors are spin-linked, meaning that when one blade is spun, the other blade spins with it. He also has electronic lights and sounds, which is included in every Leader class figure. In vehicle mode, Megatron makes a helicopter sound when the Decepticon symbol is pressed, which will keep going as long as the button is pressed. When the cockpit is moved during transformation, the oh-so-lovable G1 transformation sound is played. In robot mode, pushing the symbol will have him either laugh, say “Where is the Allspark?”, or say “Crush the Autobots!”. His face also moves when the symbol is pushed to make it seem like he’s actually talking. The lights are in his chest, cockpit, and eyes. He’s also compatible with the Headmaster unit included with the Leader Bulkhead figure, but it doesn’t trigger any extras.

Robot Mode:

In robot mode, Megatron looks almost exactly like his cartoon counterpart! He has several similar physical traits of G1 Megatron: the “bucket head”, the fusion cannon, the black legs, and the Decepticon symbol in the middle of his chest. He suffers a little bit from having almost all of the vehicle mode on his back, but he isn’t back heavy in the slightest! His fusion cannon seems to be just the right size for him. It’s large enough to be intimidating, but not to the point of hindering his balance. He can of course hold his swords or store them where they go for vehicle. One little thing worth noting is that his shoulders don't lock in to his torso. They just simply sit there. Not a big problem as long as one doesn't hit the "wings" in.

Megatron has some decent articulation. His head can turn nearly 90 degrees left or right. The shoulders can rotate a full 360. Just below the shoulder guards, his arms can rotate in and out a fair distance, as well as swivel. The elbows are on two joints due to transformation, and the wrists can also swivel, but not a full 360 without opening his arm panels. The waist has three ratchet points. The hips can ratchet forward and back, in and out. The knees can swivel and ratchet back and forward. The ankles can move out a bit as well.

Transformation: 4 Transforms just like the stock footage on the cartoon shows. Simple, but very effective!
Durability: 9 Very sturdy. The cockpit sometimes needs a bit of force, though
Fun: 10 With so many features thrown in, he won’t be sitting around collecting dust for very long!
Price: 7 $40 USD is a bit much, but a steal compared to some earlier auction prices.
Overall: 9 If one has the money for a Leader class figure, grab him!
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]