-poll deleted-

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Elita one/arcee/whatever had double jointed knees that folded back on themselves. This guy has double jointed knees???!!!

Otherwise, great review. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Pictures for ugly. What other quotes can we gets?

1) Muscle Car mode
2) Robot Mode
3) Venom and Stocakde needs hugs.... :)
Attachments
venom_stockade_hugs.jpg
venom_robot.jpg
venom_alt.jpg
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I am supplying better pictures for Metroplex. Will add more information soon. Need someone to confirm this for me -- is Drill Bit a retool of Armada Leader-1?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it al figured out
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Iron Man transform! Yep, better not get any of the Marvel Crossovers. They almost cost as much as the Voyagers. Blitzwing or Lugnut from Animated are a much better investment. One of the few Hulk and Venom are good though.

1) Jet mode
2) Heavy Metal Mode
3) Star and Iron. White jets unite! :lol:
Attachments
ironman_is_starscream.jpg
ironman_robot.jpg
ironman_alt.jpg
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Vehicle mode pics seem to have no problems, so robot mode (I admit I have been cheating on it...)
Attachments
metroplex_robo t.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

You need to add the summaries at the end of the review. They are:

Transformation
Durability
Fun
Price
Overall

I can take pictures of this one. I've got the blue one.
Blackjack

Finally, Animated Soundwave! [proofed]

Post by Blackjack »

Name: Soundwave
Alligeance: Decepticon
Function:
Sonic Warrior
Alt Mode: Scion xB

"You ain't heard nothing yet!"

In the beginning, there is Megatron, leading the Decepticons, composed of Starscream's trio of jets, Shockwave, some Reflectors, and... (drum rolls) Soundwave and his cassette armada. Soundwave has been a long-lasting popular character in his career as the Decepticons Communications Officer. Ever since he first appeared as a lamp post (I kid you not) in the G1 animated, or beside Megatron in the Marvel comics, Soundwave has been one Decepticon everyone loves.

History time! Soundwave appears in G1 as a cassette deck, with Buzzsaw thrown in as a bonus, and four cassette warriors to collect. (Frenzy + Laserbeak, Ravage + Rumble) Later, his armada will introduce Ratbat, Slugfest, Overkill, Squawktalk and Beastbox. He appeared in the G2 comics, but no toy was released. Then, Soundwave appeared in the Machine Wars toyline, as a redeco of the G1.5 Predacon Stalker. The name was reused in Beast Wars for a distinctively different character. Next up, in Cybertron/Galaxy Force series, as an agent of Unicron. This time, he's a stealth jet with Laserbeak still on his chest compartment.

Soundwave was meant to be in the Movie. The name was considered for the Decepticons we now know as Blackout and Frenzy. But due to fan complains he is now scheduled to appear in the big screen in TF2: Revenge Of The Fallen. However, to compensate the crying fans (myself included) Soundwave was included in Transformers Animated, as a Scion xB, for a single episode. For now. For now...

ALTERNATE MODE

Nope, not a cassette deck, not a stealth jet, not a helicopter, but a van/SUV type vehicle. Think Payload or Stockade. The alternate mode is, if I'm not mistaken, a Scion xB. Never seen one before, but I must say it compensates for the tape deck. It won't replace the tape deck, of course, but close enough.

Yes, Soundwave again gets a bonus minion, Laserbeak, but we'll save that for later.

Soundwave has many G1 references. For example, his 'buttons' (play, pause etc) on the front grill, although unlike G1 they are not numbered. There are molded speakers on both doors. There seem to be detailing on the rear, but sadly are not painted. Oh, there's a 'power' symbol in gold on the top of the van.

Main colours are obviously blue and black, with neon for detailing and wheels, and a hint of gold for some parts. Soundwave is quite boxy in this mode, which is fitting for him.

This modernization of Soundwave's alternate mode is quite good. Not as good as the Galaxy Farce stealth jet, but this is much closer to the original. This mode could be better if they added an attachment to resemble communications antenna, or maybe weaponry turret.

ROBOT MODE
With a few twists and turns, you get the robot mode. Transformation is unique, not needlessly complicated, but quite easy. Soundwave gets more golden, for the trademark faceplate and chest cavity.

Like the alternate mode, Soundwave's appearance references G1. His chest has the 'cassette cavity' and 'buttons'. His appearance in the toy perfectly duplicates the Animated form. The arms are quite long, but the hands are disappointing; they're present, but cannot hold anything. Ah well.

One key difference with G1: this Soundwave has short, blue lower legs with wheels. But at least I get a Soundwave toy, so can't complain too much here...

His shoulders are unique. The wheels fold and are painted in such a way that they, along with the circles painted at the back of the head, resemble loudspeakers. This is a first in any Soundwave toy.

As for his head, now this I beg to differ. It has been said that the Decepticon insignia is based on G1 Soundwave's toy head. Now just imagine G1 Soundwave, with two pointy eyes, and a more pointed faceplate. Squint a little, daa! You get a Decepticon symbol. Not so for Animated Soundwave. The crown and visor are still Geewun enough. The faceplate and 'sideplates' (those... Thingies beside the faceplate) are oddly proportioned, with the sides being almost bigger than the faceplate itself. But that's how Animated Soundwave looks like, so can't really blame Hasbro on this one...

This is a fantastic toy for our beloved monotone communications officer, but it won't be complete without...

Name: Laserbeak
Alligeance: Decepticon
Function: Pet
Alt mode: Guitar

Laserbeak! Our beloved little recordicon budgie is back! As a bonus Decepticon, Laserbeak is included with Soundwave and compensates for his lack of weapons.

I have always loved the recordicons/cassetticons. Let's do a bit o' history again. The original Laserbeak, the cowardly interrogator/spy, was sold in a two-pack with Frenzy. Later, the second Laserbeak (Lazorbeak, due to copyrighting) appears in the Beast Wars toy line, as a purple repaint of Terrorsaur. Laserbeak appeared again in Armada as the kid-appeal Autobot (horror of horrors) where the brats used videocam/gun birdie. A Laserbeak similar to G1 is introduced in Cybertron, again as the minion of Soundwave. Then, Laserbeak is released currently in this toy-only appearance. For now at least...

ALTERNATE MODE
To fit with Soundwave, Laserbeak is now a... Scion-long guitar. And they say these 'new gen Transformers' don't have scale issues. It can mount on Soundwave several ways, via pegs on the wings/guitar bottom or the legs. In guitar mode, the most logical way to put Beak is on top of Soundwave with the legs,as packaged, or Sounds holding him like a guitar player. Insert the peg on the hole in Soundwave's wrists. There is also a hole on one of the rear side windows, but there are no logical position that Laserbeak will look normal.

When Soundwave is in robot mode, you can put Laserbeak in guitar mode as a backpack. A WINGED backpack is also cool, so let's move to...

ROBOT (BIRDIE) MODE

Unlike most Transformers, Laserbeak's robot mode is a bird. This is a first in the Animated series that a Transformer has a beast as the robot mode.

Laserbeak's bird mode detailing is poorly done. The head is not even painted, for crying out loud! Anyways, Laserbeak looks cool perching on Soundwave's hand, ready for attack.

One thing about Laserbeak. He has not appeared in the Animated series, due to the writers not realizing that Hasbro put Laserbeak along with Soundwave. However, I am betting my OTHER Laserbeak (see my review of Booster x10) that Laserbeak and Soundwave will reappear in Season 3. Yeah! Soundwave superior, Constructicons inferior! And inferior also are the Autobots, the Triple-changers, the techno-organics, the Cybertronian Elite-thingies, the Starscream clones, the Combaticons, the...

DURABILITY 8/10 Quite sturdy, but Laserbeak's wings might break easily. Might.
TRANSFORMATION 2/10 Easy. Very easy. Unique too.
FUN 8/10 This is Soundwave we're talking about, just with only one minion and a different alternate mode. Lack of weaponry gets a penalty.
PRICE 7/10 Worth it. Worth every penny.
OVERALL 8/10 The long wait for Soundwave is over. While probably not as good as Cybertron Soundwave, you must realise that this Soundwave is a unique character. But, if not for his nostalgic factor, he will only get a 'meh' from me. That's life.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Soundwave's pictures:
1) Soundwave car mode with a birdie on top
2) Soundwave robot mode with Laserbeak on hand.
3) Soundwave robot mode WITHOUT Laserbeak... or so it seems.
4) Soundwave wants to do a guitar solo

Blitzwing, you're up next!!!
Attachments
Soundwave_guitarsolo.jpg
soundwave_robot.jpg
soundwave_laserbeak.jpg
soundwave_alt.jpg
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Hmm very nice, those arms give him an ape like quality.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Very sorry for the massive delay here!

Moving house kinda got in the way, and work's been mental (thankfully I've just finished interviewing for a new ecologist to help me out, so that should take the load off a bit once they start).

Anyway, without further delay, here are photos of LOC Bumblejumper and Bluicade!
Attachments
LOCMovieBumblejumper&BluicadeRobots.jpg
LOCMovieBumblejumper&BluicadeCars.jpg

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Along with the standard photos, here are some group shots of the four variations on the LOC Movie Bumblebee mould, as well as comparisons between Bumblejumper and G1 Red Bumblebee (his perfect companion!).

I've also snapped off a few comparisons between the original LOC Movie Bumblebee and the Allspark Battles LOC Bumblebee (car modes) and another LOC Bumblebee and G1 Bumblebee shot (cars) which I'll upload in the photos submissions thread.

Enjoy!
Attachments
LOCMovieBumblejumper&G1RedBumblebeeRobots.jpg
LOCMovieBumblejumper&G1RedBumblebeeCars.jpg
LOCMovieBumblebeesRobots.jpg
LOCMovieBumblebeesCars.jpg

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Warcry wrote:A shield or a pair of blocky swords would have been a marked improvement on what's really nothing more than a giant pair of serrated scissors.
Hasbro seem to have taken a liking to oversized non-threatening household tools, with Movie Dropkick / Salvage having that utterly pointless oversized pair of pliers accessory!

:lol:

Your review is clearly very damning, which is a shame, because I was very excited about this figure. I do like the Octane character, and liked the look of the concept art, and the photos don't look too bad... (Clearly not nearly as nice as Astrotrain though.) Being in the UK, I've not had a chance to see it in real life, and he goes for silly-bucks online for some reason.

Now I am in a quandry!

Great detailed review!

Also items on eBay.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Great review!

Hmm...Beastbox and Sqwawktalk for 27.99...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Well, that's the written part done, unless someone would like to suggest more to add to it. I'll get the pictures soon.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
zeoman4.5

Post by zeoman4.5 »

I can totally agree with your take on his melee blade and the Truck mode.
I really wished they would have done a little more work on this guy before
releasing him to the public. Him and Prowl, they both need work.
At least Sunstreaker didn't disappoint me... but that's not saying much.
Good job, nice review.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Oh - and just for my own info (I've probably just missed it anyway, and it's wishful thinking) - can you store that stupid melee thing anywhere in robot mode, or is it surplus, yet required for alternate modes (which I really really hate... because that's not really a good disguise. I only let G2 Clench off with such, because his missile launcher is so integral to his image... and is great fun!)?

Also items on eBay.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Clay wrote: I've got the blue one.
Would you say its worth a purchase if you already have a fully functioning
I-pod and just want it for the novelty value?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Grand review!

I've proofed it - and it was a pleasure! It required very little correction or formatting. Thanks!

:clap:

The only things I'd say are:

- Generally, I think reviews work better when there are just a couple of sections - Alternate Mode and Robot Mode - and in some cases, where there are loads of them packed in to the toy or if it's a standard thing like ye olde planet keys, a Gimmicks section is a good idea (although I've only ever done that once, with Primus because he is totally jam packed). Gimmicks are a personal call. I do prefer to read about the articulation and colours in the relevant sections (Alternate and Robot Modes) as appropriate though, like you did in your review of Cybertron Wingsaber. It flows better that way. So your review may benefit from a wee touch of restructuring there, if you agree.

- Is the nose landing gear springloaded? You mention the two in the legs aren't.

Anyway - once again, good job! Keep up the good review writing, and I look forward to reading more!

:up:

Also items on eBay.
Cliffjumper

eHobby Road Rage [proofed]

Post by Cliffjumper »

Name: ROAD RAGE
Function: BODYGUARD

"It's ALL offa the FRUNT page, you giff me RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROAD RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE"

Road Rage serves as the bodyguard to Cybertronian ambassador Crosscut. Most of the time. Sadly, because she's a chick, she can't drive well at all, due to her brain constantly wandering and pondering fluffy little kittens, or due to her having PMT. This is the cause of her name, as obviously people are always named after their personality defects. Bit sensitive about your figure? We'll call you Wideload, that won't make you a bloody basket case. Humorous split personality? Let's call you Doublecross, that'll help you get over it. Bit careless? Let's call you Slapdash, that has definitive punning possibilities. Mind, aside from being a mad bitch in car mode, the only thing Road Rage is good at is making tea, and light filing. This is good, because Crosscut's not actually good at much other than drinking tea and filling in forms. Their two lines of work dovetail beautifully, you see. The other thing they share in common is that both are seething pools of anger, as it turns out none of you remember them being in the cartoon. Well, they were - they conducted the negotiations to have Autobot City built, for Primus' sake! Look, they're in the movie. Yeh, that bit. No, not that bit, that bit. Look. You see? No? That's because you missed it. You should pay better attention. They were in the cartoon, though. Honest. Uncle Takara wouldn't lie to you. Come sit on Uncle Takara's lap. That's a good child, Uncle Takara likes good children...

Diaclone > back of box > Holland, I think > eHobby

Road Rage remains the only official Transformer named after an irritating song by Welsh cabaret tossers Catatonia, although Mulder & Scully was registered as a trademark by Hasbro for the Vauxhall Cavalier Alternator in 2004. However, when Vauxhall objected to their designs appearing in the same line as those of direct market rival Yugo, the plan was shelved. The mould was eventually retooled as the Kiss Players figure Marissa Faireborn.

ALTERNATE MODE

Road Rage turns into a red Corvette Stingray. That's quite clever - there's a little-known phrase, "red mist", that people tend to see when they're enraged. So Rage, red. That's seriously smart. Anyway... Despite various drooling from aficionados, I've never been a fan of the Corvette Stingray, it's a cartoony muscle car, with it's bulbous front wheel arches and massive bonnet. It's a phallic substitute of the most blatant kind.

However, Takara have done a respectable job of rendering the thing. Sadly, the vast majority of it is plastic - basically the entire car shell. You'd think this would preclude their usual cock-ups with mismatching tones, but they manage it anyway. And the transparent windscreen/painted brown rear window combo? Tacky. The side doors are stupidly fragile, though aside from that nothing's particularly breakable in this mode. Massive join lines all over it, though.

Reusing the same flame stickers as on Tracks is a bad move as well - I can understand including them as an option for fools who want to delude themselves about owning the ultra-rare '85 TF variant, but an alternative design would have been nice. The originals are such a recognised feature of Tracks that it's even harder to think of Road Rage as a character in her own right.

ROBOT MODE

Road Rage has a very straightforward transformation for a Car Robot - well, not straightforward as in "well-designed and sensible", more as in "quickly becomes boring". There are a few notable weak points - the shoulder joints are very badly covered, while those side panels are still a weakness. Road Rage also lacks much of a sense of balance as well, with thin legs and weak ankles. The whole thing just doesn't look particularly substantial, while the proportions are miles off - the arms are much shorter and thinner than the legs.

The toy also scores in that classic Takara area - totally pointless die cast. The metal shins might serve some sort of purpose as to weight distribution, but if the figure had better proportions, it wouldn't be needed.

In theory, there's a bit of articulation in the arms and the waist. However, it's of no real value - the arms can't be moved in any useful fashion, and putting the elbow joints straight just makes the figure look flat. The waist joint is also useless, as the shape of the figure means the hips end up at unrealistic angles to the body. There's a really stiffness to the design, coupled to the flat aesthetics.

Even with the usual qualifiers attached to the Car Robot figures, this one's a bit of a failure. At least most of the others feel a bit more substantial. The colour scheme isn't really an improvement on Tracks either, and the mould's so flawed you don't really need to own two.

Transformation: 3 - tricky only because the figure is fragile. Not fun at all.
Durability: 3 - several major weak points
Fun: 2 - no fun to transform, no fun to pose.
Price: 1 - if you must get a Corvette Car Robot, just get Tracks.
Overall: 3 - a poor base figure makes this an easy trinket to pass on.
Attachments
roadrage_robot.JPG
roadrage_box.JPG
roadrage_alt2.JPG
roadrage_alt1.JPG
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

zeoman4.5 wrote:Him and Prowl, they both need work.
True. I think the key difference between the two of them for me is that I have a lot of fun playing with Prowl (the same goes for Sunstreaker, who's also really fun in spite of his arms always falling off), flaws and all. Tankor, not so much.
numbat wrote:Oh - and just for my own info (I've probably just missed it anyway, and it's wishful thinking) - can you store that stupid melee thing anywhere in robot mode, or is it surplus, yet required for alternate modes (which I really really hate... because that's not really a good disguise.
There's no way to store it that I've found, which is really annoying. It's only really needed in truck mode and it's kinda vestigial everywhere else.

I won't say that you shouldn't buy it if you're still interested in seeing what he's like, but you should prepare yourself for a lot of frustration if you do.
he goes for silly-bucks online for some reason.
I'd expect prices to come down in short order. These guys are still hard to find in some parts of Canada and the US, but once they're a bit more available it should be easier to find him online at non-scalper prices.