New photo galleries of Universe Ultra Powerglide and Silverbolt

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

New photo galleries of Universe Ultra Powerglide and Silverbolt

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

Powerglide has a heart! How cuuuuute! :glance:

Seriously, he looks fantastic in warthog mode. A little on the odd side in robot mode.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

What? The orange tits of doom don't work for you? :)
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

A few comments about these two toys here:

- Hasbro was right, Powerglide may be less cartoon/g1 toy accurate with the white color but it really does look fantastic. While I haven't seen as many detailed pics of the Takara version I think Hasbro might have actually nailed that one.

- Powerglide's lights and sounds are a benefit to the figure.

- Silverbolt is a great character to re-do in classi-,uh, Universe. I thought he got a lot of G1 screen time and needed a new version. This version is a very faithful mimic to the G1 toy.

- Silverbolt's transformation is is brain dead. What a simplified design. He looks good enough, but is so simple as to be an insult at his MSRP.
Come on and wind me up.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

another tf fan wrote:Silverbolt's transformation is is brain dead. What a simplified design. He looks good enough, but is so simple as to be an insult at his MSRP.
If not for Hasbro cramming in lights and sounds he could easily have been a deluxe, couldn't he? Much the same as Onslaught, really.

This is the main reason why I shy away from the larger toys in the range. As badass as Silverbolt is and as much as I'd like to grab him, aside from sheer size there's absolutely nothing there to justify me laying out enough money to buy ~3 deluxe figures.

Powerglide is kinda bland, but at least the engineering is there to semi-justify the high price point.
blastoff
Protoform

Post by blastoff »

i like power glide's heart (i have that episode on dvd)
i wish the entire toys was maroon but its a very nice toy
You've got the wrong bunch
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

decepticon_warrior_mike90
Protoform

Post by decepticon_warrior_mike90 »

It's good to see the Autobot Air Warrior Powerglide and Aerialbot Leader Silverbolt are back:clap: once again as new action figures of Hasbro Toy Company.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

my heart nslverbkolt and I want get him. My brother ehad him
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Ugh...Silverbolt looks awful and overly simple. I've seen more complex transformations on McDonalds Go-Bots. :(

He sufferes from the same problem as movie Starscream...they just attached a vaguely air-plane shape mold to the top of a folded up robot and said, "look, he's a plane...ignore all the crap hanging underneath it." :mad:

Powerglide looks slick as hell, though. Although I think I would have preferred a red version.

Why is it all these Universe figures look better in unpainted mold form than they do completely painted. I've been disappointed with everyone of them (especially the cars Prowl and Sunstreaker) except for Onslaught.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Again, to be fair, Almost every planeformer has that problem.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

another tf fan wrote:- Silverbolt's transformation is is brain dead. What a simplified design.
I think simple is good as long as they're well-articulated. If you have to stop for ten minutes in the middle of a play battle, kids aren't going to be interested.

This is why Alternators are good models but crap toys...
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

secretcode wrote:Again, to be fair, Almost every planeformer has that problem.
What?? No they aren't. Granted, there are a lot like that, but they'd done enough of them correctly that when they do it like this, it just bothers me.

None of the original G1 Seekers had this problem. Nor did Cybertron Wingsaber. Heck, even the original Aerialbots (sans Silverbolt) didn't have this problem. Granted, their robot modes were...uh...sub-par, though.

The new Classics Seekers are also good, as are the Masterpiece figures. So the fact that the designers of Movie Starscream thought shooting missiles was more important than a proper transformation just irks me.

And even here...although not completely accurate, Powerglide's A-10 mode is pretty decent (minus the weird, pointless engine air intakes next to the cockpit). Yet try-number-two's (ie, Silverbolt's) is just crap.
Denyer wrote:This is why Alternators are good models but crap toys...
That, and their $25 price tag. But, Alts were never meant as toys, were they? I thought they were always meant as collectables.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:I think simple is good as long as they're well-articulated.
Well...yes and no. I like simple, but if the larger figures aren't going to offer anything that their smaller counterparts can't then why bother having larger figures at all?

I suppose the key is that you have to add layers of complexity and play value without needlessly complicating the core transformation too much. Classics Jetfire is a good example of that. His core transformation is pretty simple, but on top of that he's got a pile of removable accessories that would never have worked on a smaller toy and that makes a whole lot of difference in my books.

Silverbolt doesn't have anything like that (he's also going to be, what, about 25% more expensive?) and so as neat as he looks I can't help but wonder why he needed to be so big in the first place.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Brimstone wrote:That, and their $25 price tag. But, Alts were never meant as toys, were they? I thought they were always meant as collectables.
Did your store rip you off? Alternators had an MSRP of $20. The only $25 ones were Nemesis Prime and Rodimus, who were sold as exclusives.

And no, Hasbro clearly sold the Alternators as toys, since aiming them exclusively at collectors would have never been enough to support the line.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Alt's rrp were 50 AUD here. F** Australia.

Alt's were meant as toys, but more geared to collectors than other series may have been. Clearly, 5 year olds could play with them, but the fact that they were designed to be able to transform, pose, have weapons, etc. shows that they were meant to be played with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Nevermore wrote:Did your store rip you off? Alternators had an MSRP of $20. The only $25 ones were Nemesis Prime and Rodimus, who were sold as exclusives.
Nope...just mis-spoke. It's been a while since I bought an Alt...just forgot how much it was. But, $20...$25...my comment remains the same. :)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Powerglide looks great, but I wonder why they decided to make him an ultra figure.

I like Silverbolt as well.

However, I probably wont get to buying either of them. Too much money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Powerglide looks great, but I wonder why they decided to make him an ultra figure.

I like Silverbolt as well.

However, I probably wont get to buying either of them. Too much money.
Presumably for scale reasons, I'd guess.

I prolly won't get this two either. If I do get a Ultra (Leaning toward No at this point) it'll be Onslaught.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Onslaught for me. Powerglide's heart makes it worse for me. And i was actually going to buy it...

Silverbolt=maybe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]