BotCon 2008 Merchandising Coverage Thread

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Yes...yes I did.

It's everywhere. Pictures taken from Hasbro shows, cons, even when there's the occasional review of a new figure...more often than not, the photos are blurry.

I blame digital cameras and all their fancy dancy do-hickieys (red-eye removal being the biggest culprit to blurry photos).

Either that or unreleased transformers suffer from the same condition as Bigfoot and Nessie.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Blurry or no, someone forked over $300+ and went out of his way to take pictures and decided to put together a photo album to share the images with folks who didn't go to the convention. They're doing this out of the kindness of their heart.

Imo it gives me an adequate peek at what these figures will look like, and I appreciate the fact that someone's gone out of their way to do this.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

RID Scourge wrote:Imo it gives me an adequate peek at what these figures will look like, and I appreciate the fact that someone's gone out of their way to do this.
And in my opinion, the photos are blurry. I thought it was funny that it seems like convention and showcase and preview-review photos are more often than not, blurry. It's a strange coincidence.

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings...but it's true.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The thing with conventions isn't to try and take non blurry pictures, it's to avoid having the fat lardy bastard in front of you getting into shot.
Clay

Post by Clay »

inflatable dalek wrote:The thing with conventions isn't to try and take non blurry pictures, it's to avoid having the fat lardy bastard in front of you getting into shot.
Yes.

If you want clearer pictures, go to the conventions and take them yourself. It's a bit hard with so many people wandering into the shot and bumping around you.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Plus it's difficult to remain unswayed when surrounded by the overpowering odour of sweat and dried cum/nachos that fanboys give off.

What? Sassy said stuff like that all the time.

I'd never go to a convention because I despise crowds and crave personal space. I'd have hit someone for brushing my arm, sod the bloody photographs.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Brimstone wrote:It's everywhere. Pictures taken from Hasbro shows, cons, even when there's the occasional review of a new figure...more often than not, the photos are blurry.
Indoor photography around directed lighting and glass cases means flash will usually ruin a shot (only being effective to a couple of metres, even with panned-back shots) and most cameras, film or otherwise, need a tripod or other solid surface for non-flash work.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Cliffjumper wrote: I'd never go to a convention because I despise crowds and crave personal space. I'd have hit someone for brushing my arm, sod the bloody photographs.
Yeah, it's not really something I'd do myself. It just isn't my thing. Especially if Hasbro, or whoever, generally make news revealed there public shortly afterward. And not intending to be rude, but I just don't feel like I identify with the fandom half the time, so the idea of being at a convention just doesn't seem all that interesting to me.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

The main reason I went to the one BotCon I've gone to so far was to meet Peter Cullen. I was hoping for Welker as well, but you can't have everything.

I'd go to more, but finances and distance hold me back.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642