BotCon 2008 Merchandising Coverage Thread

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

A Universe/Classic Ironhide gives me hope for a Ratchet figure. And that, well, that makes me very happy :)
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

That Ironhide is awful in vehicle mode. The bot mode looks good, but I don't know if that is enough to carry the toy for me, thats really just bad...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

zigzagger wrote:A Universe/Classic Ironhide gives me hope for a Ratchet figure. And that, well, that makes me very happy :)
I think the odds of that are pretty good. I'm not sure if Hasbro have flat-out said that they would be redecoing Ironhide into Ratchet, but I'd be really surprised if they didn't.

Ironhide's sunroof looks like a perfect place to mount a lightbar... :glance:
Kali wrote:That Ironhide is awful in vehicle mode.
He does, doesn't he? I really hope the production versions hang together at least a little bit better in vehicle mode. It looks like they designed him with a very complex transformation scheme, though, and that might be what's causing the trouble.
zigzagger

More Images...

Post by zigzagger »

On top Warcry's link, here are some additional images from the convention, with credit to tfw.2005
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ay-164757/
Some images of the Mirage repaint into Crasher (yes, appears to have the purple face like the toon), and though we've already seen Sideswipe, it appears this one actually has a different head (versus the Sunstreaker head as seen in the other photo).
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Wow, lots of news. Right, Ironhide looks ok, but pretty uninspired. Choice of alt mode doesn't seem quite right. Sideswipe looks great especially the new head. Silverbolt looks like crap! Really like crap! I'm still not convinced by Tankor though I'll probably get him anyway. Ah the inevitable Prowl repaints. Silverstreak's coming, Bluestreak will be soon! Silverstreak looks even more anorexic than Prowl. The colour scheme doesn't help!

Errm, what exactly is the point of the Mirage repaint, the cybertron Sideways, Starscream, CD Hot Shot and Evac repaints? Target exclusives? Wouldn't get those even if I could. They're all pretty hideous.

Well it's great that the Universe line is expanding and that we're getting some new molds such as Ironhide, Galvatron (love him!), Silverbolt and Silverstreak but why the hell are these still so far away from release? Still can't shake the feeling that Hasbro f*cked up the release of Classics 2.0 and Animated. I mean we're seeing toys from the second and third waves when we haven't even got the first waves yet!

EDIT: Oh and what the F*CK is Acid Storm about? I'm glad Hasbro's doing some repaints in Universe, Acid Storm, Blades, Dropshot and Blaster. Gives me a chance to skip them and save some money on modes I already own. Man, they all look awful!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

secretcode wrote:- Deluxe Sideswipe shown, but the head was still Sunstreaker's.
Pics for the new head are over on TFormers. Looks great.

secretcode wrote:- Ultra Powerglide redeco in Micromaster StormCloud's colors (Black, Purple, Green), with MM-88 on the side of the plane.
- Deluxe Hound with Tape Ravage who fits in G1 Soundwave or any reissue. Ravage can attach to Hound and has no weapons. Hound himself has a cannon that attaches to either his hand or his shoulder.
- Deluxe Cyclonus w/ Nightstick Targetmaster. Attaches to either vehicle mode or his hand.
- Deluxe Cheetor. New mold, tail weapon, throwing stars, No spots on tail due to plastic type, he can switch eye color from Green to Red and mouth opens in Cheetah mode.
Shame there don't seem to be any photos of Hound, Cyclonus or Cheetor around. Seem like very good choices for the Universe range. Kudos to Hasbro for releasing so many new molds as part of Classics 2.0. Actually most of the new molds seem like good choices: Ironhide, Powerglide, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, and Prowl.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =288800653

photos from the event, including some not-so-brilliant-but-still-pretty-neat pictures from the hasbro booth.

everything from the hasbro panel looked sweet to me.....

some more stuff from the Hasbro Toy Panel:

Titanium War Within Grimlock!

all the above mentioned animated toys (which all looked great to me, including elite guard bumblebee). bonus news, more animated is coming!

clasics beachcomber, albeit as a legend

some all-new legends molds (megatron and jazz were shown)

a minicon 12 pack for universe

classics hound and ravage! ravage is still a cassette, but he clicks onto the back of hound in jeep mode (which looks kinda like a cross between his G1 self and that sector 7 dune buggy in green). plus, the cassette is the 'correct' size for soundwave/blaster!

sideswipe had the wrong head in the slides, but the correct one when it was put out in the hasbro booth

silverbolt was mis-spelt sliverbolt

animated ultra magnus' hammer does not ligt up. but thats ok. as one fan pointed out to hasbro "we still love you"

also, my girlfriend compared the assorted gasps and shouting and cheering as like "listening to 1000 guys do the same thing all at once. messy."

(edit: sorry if this is kinda the wrong thread, it seems there are a couple of 'news from botcon' threads i didn't see in my haste)
borg72

Post by borg72 »

secretcode wrote:Found via: http://seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12885
http://www.allspark.com/index.php/20080 ... Panel.html

PICTURES WERE NOT ALLOWED.

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE: Over $700 Million WorldWide Boxoffice Totals, #1 DVD

TRANSFORMERS TOYLINE: #1 Action Figure Brand, #1 Fans (??), Movie Deluxes are Action Toy of the Year 2007

TRANSFORMES ANIMATED
- Wave 1 released June 22nd
- Animated WILL be a full TF Line.
- Deluxe Swoop has a mace on a chain
- Sentinel Prime is a Voyager, Coming out September
- Elite Guard Bumblebee (Dark Gray, Dark Tan, Mustard Yellow), Coming Septemeber, There is going to be more thematic repaints in some of the main characters, this possibly meaning that Bumblebee joins the Elite Guard at some point.
- Ultra Magnus, Leader Class, Hammer does NOT light up, HUGE round of applause

TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE
- Deluxe Ironhide, Red SUV, Oregon plates.
- Ultra Silverbolt, has sounds in both modes. Transformation sound during transformation and other sounds such as gun firing. Name was mispelled during presentation as Sliverbolt.
- Deluxe Sideswipe shown, but the head was still Sunstreaker's.
- Ultra Powerglide redeco in Micromaster StormCloud's colors (Black, Purple, Green), with MM-88 on the side of the plane.
- Deluxe Hound with Tape Ravage who fits in G1 Soundwave or any reissue. Ravage can attach to Hound and has no weapons. Hound himself has a cannon that attaches to either his hand or his shoulder.
- Deluxe Cyclonus w/ Nightstick Targetmaster. Attaches to either vehicle mode or his hand.
- Deluxe Cheetor. New mold, tail weapon, throwing stars, No spots on tail due to plastic type, he can switch eye color from Green to Red and mouth opens in Cheetah mode.
- More Legends: Tank Megatron, Jazz, Brawn and Beachcomber

ROBOT HEROES:
- G1 Kickback vs. G1 Ironhide
- G1 Thrust vs. G1 Blaster
- BW TM Megatron vs. BW Silverbolt
- BM Cheetor vs. Tankor
- RiD Prime vs. RiD Megatron
- More to be shown tommorrow

STORE EXCLUSIVES
- Nemesis Prime, Blue windows in USA, Red for Japan (SDCC/HTS Exclusive)
- Titanium War Within Skywarp (SDCC/HTS Exclusive)
- Three more Wal-Mart exclusives called "Offscreen Deluxes"
- Breakaway (Cybertron Hot Shot in White, Red and Blue)
- Fracture (Classics Mirage, In Crasher Deco)
- Crankcase, (Dark Green Cybertron Red Alert)
- Target Exclusive Comic Two-Packs
- Roadbuster (Cybertron Defense Hotshot) vs. Dirge (Cybertron Voyager Dirge)
- Springer (Cybertron Evac) vs. Ratbat (Cybertron Sideways)
- Toys R Us Exclusive Titaniums
- War Within Grimlock
- War Within Prowl
- K-Mart Exclusive Minicon 12-Pack
- Black Friday 25th Anniversary G1 Prime Reissue
- Short Stacks
- Marvel Issue 1 Reprint
- DVD Remaster of More Than Meets The Eye
- Has Logo Soundbox

MISC. STUFF
- 25th Anniversary also includes TF2. "Save your money" for 2009
- G1 Knockoffs Statement: Illegal, Hasbro is pursuing legal action, DO NOT BUY even from dealers (I take it like the Easter Baskets at Wal-Mart and etc. are what they are talking about)
- Masterpiece Thundercracker is possible
- Attacktix is DEAD
- No more Titaniums or Alternators
- Strong Hints of a G1-Style Arcee
- Not Many Toy-Only Animated Characters, Oil Slick was an exception.
- Possible Human figures, but not in current plans.
- No plans on reverse engineering of old figures into new molds.
- Larger Robot Heroes are possible
- Aveo Swerve's rights are not by Hasbor. No future plans.
- 25th Anniversary Toys other than Prime will arrive at the end of this year, possible combiners
- No reissues of G1 Dinobots
- No Henkei releases of Thundercracker, Dirge or Thrust.
- No GI Joe Crossover toys yet.
- Still thinking of a way to make a Transforming Dispensor
- Some characters for Movie 2 may be done in different sizes, decos (Question was specifically aske about Bonecrusher, but meh)
- Animated Characters won't be getting Universe treatment- It's for toys that won't fit elsewhere.
- No plans for Universe Sunstorm, but they do love the Seeker mold and will continue to use it.
- Possible Model Kits, Concepts were done, but plas were abandoned.
- Looking into bringing big toys and bases into Unviers, but as characters, NOT AS BASES.
yess, what he said. i took some pics at the hasbro booth, fwiw.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =288800653
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

-sniff, sniff- Not going to cry, I promised myself I wouldn't cry.... -sniff, sniff- :D

Ironhide's robot mode does look very good. Vehicle mode...... eh. But then, this is why they should have made him a van. Or at least a minivan. That way you can do the van-style boxy body, and use the higher roofline for cheater panels ala Titanium Roddy's legs.

Roadbuster: -looking at his impending 'new' version- "I knew I shouldn't have run over Archer's foot after that design meeting. What the slag happened to all of my guns?!?!?"

Ironhide: "Whut're you complanin' about? 'Least they gave you a gun. Looks lahke awl Ah got're a couple'a shields on mah arms."

Nightbeat: "Would you both stop complaining? At least you go to retail....."
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Not fond of Ironhide, but I'd like to have a G1 version so I'll snag him.

I prefer Sideswipe to Sunstreaker. If I only pick up one I'll get Side.

I'm probably only going to pick up Prowl.

Dirge looks nice. We'll have to wait and see if I get him though.

I like Fracture though. Hopefully this round of Walmart exclusives will actually show up around here.

I'm a bit disappointed by the new legends molds. Seems like they spent all their effort on the Cybertron legends, but the rest have been a flash in the pan for the most part.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've waited 21 years for a new Targetmaster Cyclonus toy. My time has come!

Ironhide is a wee bit crappy though.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I wonder if his gun'll be a bit more articulate, or if they'll stick with the "fold me in half, and I'm a gun!" idea. As long as Cyc's more articulate I'm good though.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

the gun is indeed a fold-me-in-half-o-bot, though i couldn't tell how articulate it was in robot mode (as i was sat right at the back during the panel)

the cyclonus figure was indeed rather good, less 'flat' than the g1 and more articulate. he actually looked like cyclonus, and had a lighter color scheme than the dark purple g1 toy. plus the gun can be held as a gun, or his hand can be retracted and the gun fix into the wrist socket, which is cool.

couldn't really tell you how similar he is/will be to the IDW comic version, as i've only seen a few images of that.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

RID Scourge wrote:Not fond of Ironhide, but I'd like to have a G1 version so I'll snag him.

I prefer Sideswipe to Sunstreaker. If I only pick up one I'll get Side.

I'm probably only going to pick up Prowl.

Dirge looks nice. We'll have to wait and see if I get him though.

I like Fracture though. Hopefully this round of Walmart exclusives will actually show up around here.

I'm a bit disappointed by the new legends molds. Seems like they spent all their effort on the Cybertron legends, but the rest have been a flash in the pan for the most part.
fracture looked sweet, and the colors looked ridiculously good in robot mode. if you like prowl, you might want to wait until you've seen silverstreak, his recolor. he has darker colors; silver, with black hood/roof and orangy-red robot bits (missile launchers, upper legs, and arms). he looks really good, and they give the figure a more 'solid' appearance.

legends beachcomber looks sweet.

and indeed, sideswipe did look (to me at least) a bit more solid than sunstreaker (who was still pretty cool though)
Dragon Warrior Steve
Protoform

Post by Dragon Warrior Steve »

I love those cardboard cutouts, but why the hell are the Cons rollin' with that Archer dude.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

borg72 wrote:the gun is indeed a fold-me-in-half-o-bot, though i couldn't tell how articulate it was in robot mode (as i was sat right at the back during the panel)

the cyclonus figure was indeed rather good, less 'flat' than the g1 and more articulate. he actually looked like cyclonus, and had a lighter color scheme than the dark purple g1 toy. plus the gun can be held as a gun, or his hand can be retracted and the gun fix into the wrist socket, which is cool.

couldn't really tell you how similar he is/will be to the IDW comic version, as i've only seen a few images of that.
Ah. good to hear. I've always liked the look of Cyclonus in the cartoon, but the old toy didn't do it for me (Actually it was the white knockoff, but that was enough to let me know what the mold was like in terms of appearance).
borg72 wrote:if you like prowl, you might want to wait until you've seen silverstreak, his recolor. he has darker colors; silver, with black hood/roof and orangy-red robot bits (missile launchers, upper legs, and arms). he looks really good, and they give the figure a more 'solid' appearance.
I dunno. The pics of him don't look too bad, but I have some sort of bias towards Prowl. He's my favorite of the three datsun cars in terms of looks. Plus the prospect of an autobot police car is a bit more exciting to me.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Why the hell is it that nobody who goes to these things knows how to take a proper, non-blurry picture?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Brimstone wrote:Why the hell is it that nobody who goes to these things knows how to take a proper, non-blurry picture?
Why the hell is it that nobody who knows how to take a proper, non-blurry picture goes to these things?

:wall:

next time i just won't bother.... happy?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Yeah, just moved some posts from this thread;
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=43713
Seemed more appropiate here. :)

(EDIT: More specifically, two of borg72's and one of Brimstone's. No biggie. Honest.)
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Brimstone wrote:Why the hell is it that nobody who goes to these things knows how to take a proper, non-blurry picture?
Did you seriously just ask that? Really? Really? :nonono: