[New RPG] 2 modes?

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Lady Quickswitch

2 modes?

Post by Lady Quickswitch »

Hi,

In the middle of not having any water, I thought to ask what people thinj of Quick believing he only has two modes? I's intended it to go on for quite some time as a character aspect, but I'm looking for honest feedback. Is it a good idea? I thought it was, in the aftermath of his upgrade into a six changer he was deeply traumatized and his personality altered to drastic, chaotic levels. Does it work, does it need work, or should I scrap it altogether. You can give honest feedback by PM if you prefer. My last intention is for him to be nothing more than an empty and psychoticcharacter without substance.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

I'm not going to PM you. It'll only make me angry again so you're going to get my honest reply here.
Lady Quickswitch wrote: In the middle of not having any water, I thought to ask what people think of Quick believing he only has two modes?
The character that gave him the 6 modes told him that he has them. Quickswitch questioning that when he has already transformed into 2 modes (if I recall correctly) made me scratch myself behind the head because I'm really clueless as to where the heck you're going with this.

If your character is supposed to be super dense, then yeah, good job! I'm convinced. :up:

I think that if you wanted to go the two modes route, that would be fine, but what perhaps would've been a better idea was to have Quickswitch accept that Tinker told him that he has 6 modes and then figure out how to transform into them. Sixshot was born with the programming; Quickswitch isn't. He was modified.

I'm glad I pulled First Aid out of this in time, because I saw this coming a mile away. Quickswitch is pretty much telling Tinker that he is an idiot for saying that Quick has multiple modes....

That's the way I would've interpreted it anyway.
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think I get where she's coming from, actually. More than once in fiction I've seen human characters denying to themselves that they have unwanted superpowers even though they blatantly do. Quickswitch is doing the same thing, though in a bit more extreme form. I think it's justified because his brain wasn't built to handle the concept of having more than one alt-mode, and just as much because he grew up in a world that told him having multiple alt-modes was an abomination. Denial can be a surprisingly powerful coping mechanism.

If it goes on for years and years then sure, it'd be a bit much. But as part of the initial adjustment period? I think it's an interesting spin on the character, and completely in line with his traditional instability.

Some irrational behaviour is to be expected anyway, if you take into account the "Animated Blitzwing" model of how characters react when more alt-modes are added to them after the fact.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

A little bit of column A and a little bit of column B for me, I guess. I did shoot over a more detailed PM to you.

Like Warcry, I can definitely see where you're coming from, and I personally think that the denial defense mechanism is a nice and rather realistic take on Quickswitch's unstable personality. It's pretty justified, yeah. Mostly I agree/don't mind the denial thing.

But like Springer said, it does give Quickswitch the impression of being pretty dense. Although Tinker and Sentinel are not exactly the most understanding of people to be around, and Tinker's reaction might give that kind of impression on some people. And I can see it being very annoying if it's taken overboard, but right now I think it's fine, because it's still in the initial adjustment period and all that.
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

I more read in the way Warcry did, that this is an initial denial of the information so he can cope with it. I also agree though that it shouldn't go on for very long, as that'll make him look dense. Go with it, but don't go too long on it.
Lady Quickswitch

Quick was never supposed to be dense, just in a very deep denial for reasons Warcry described. Don't worry, it won't last forever and will be resolved soon. Thanks everyone for your feedback! :) I;ve also tried to hint that Quick knows full well he has six modes, but absolutely cannot face it yet. Consider it the 'denial phase' rather than the 'dense phase.'
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Lady Quickswitch

115+ views... I'm humiliated....
[sigpic][/sigpic]