That there Jem trailer.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

That there Jem trailer.

Post by Sades »

And collectively, the internet went "Yech".

I think it's fair to say that, at best, this looks like some teen girl coming-of-age type story that is somewhat Jem-themed.

Though my initial reaction was that this more resembled a SNL sketch than an actual film, realistically I think that selling a Jem movie that stays "true" to the cartoon would have been hard to do. Jem was pretty ****ing out there and probably would not have been well suited to live action as a direct translation. This is probably pretty marketable and the nostalgia factor will draw some in, despite what the internet shows.

All in all, *shrug*
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's kind of an odd thing to make a movie about now, too. I honestly can't remember anything about the show other than girl rock band.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Where are the Misfits? I always liked their songs better.

Just realized I just admitted to knowing something about Jem.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Notabot wrote:Where are the Misfits? I always liked their songs better.

Just realized I just admitted to knowing something about Jem.
Don't worry, I'm here to admit that I'm actually watching Jem. Not right now, but I am in the middle of season 2.

And I second the notion about Misfits, all the Jem songs are just "Let's...together...we/you can...friendship...etc" and while Misfits songs are just the polar opposite being totally self-centered, they at least sound more like "real" songs as opposed to something straight out of My Little Pony.

Anyway, about the live action movie...did they just do away with Synergy entirely?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Don't remember Jem well enough, but that looks generic as hell. At least Josie and the Pussycats had Kay Hanley and an OTT sensibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU5bOAyDbHc
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

And C4's Young Persons Guide To Becoming A Rock Star did the whole being f**ked over by the record company and being turned into a sell out with a lot more wit too.

Josie And The Pussycats is an awesome film. I have it on shiny DVD and love it.

...hmm. Hope they don't make a film about The Archies.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, love the soundtrack but I actually want to watch it again now.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Tetsuro wrote:Don't worry, I'm here to admit that I'm actually watching Jem. Not right now, but I am in the middle of season 2.
That is truly outrageous! Truly, truly, truly outrageous!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Notabot wrote:That is truly outrageous! Truly, truly, truly outrageous!
Their music's contagious!

Also no matter how cheesy and corny Jem's songs in the original cartoon were, at least they weren't f***ing autotuned.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I will admit, I had no idea they were doing a Jem movie until somebody I know told me about it.

Now that I've seen the trailer..... Uh....... Why? Does Universal need a tax loss?

And Synergy was mentioned at the end of the trailer. In reference to what, I have no clue.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sades

Post by Sades »

Clay wrote:It's kind of an odd thing to make a movie about now, too. I honestly can't remember anything about the show other than girl rock band.
The chick who turned into Jem was some rich chick who ran an orphanage/record label and had this far out computer that projected a hologram onto her and turned her into her alter ego. There were cool little music videos and crap in the middle of the show, and the Misfits were indeed totally, totally better.

I also want to watch Josie And the Pussycats. ****ing hell, that came out 14 years ago.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'll happily admit that I remember very, very little about this show other than the music (which my sister had a tape of and listened to all the time). But absolutely nothing in this trailer triggered those old memories at all. And after seeing Sades' description of the old show...yeah, I can understand why. This seems like pretty much an "in name only" type of adaptation.

Might wind up being a popular teen girl film though, I suppose? I mean, stranger things have happened. I don't think it's close enough to the original to get a big bump from nostalgia viewers, though.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Fair enough, it's a movie aimed at teenage girls so it won't be something that screams out "MUST WATCH" at me. But it does seem mildly insulting to those teenage girls that someone decided they wouldn't want a fun sci-fi adventure show about a band and instead would prefer a film that's exactly the same as every other TV film of the week about a band aimed at teenage girls.

I mean, what 12 year old girl wouldn't ****ing love actual holograms?

Plus, keeping the make up of the band doesn't really work with everything else being so 2015. It either needed to be full on retro or just have everyone look like Taylor Swift.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!