Chat Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

true story!despite the rudimentary sitcom set-up.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I had the same sort of thing happen three or four jobs back. Went on eBay to buy an old Mixmag cover CD I'd lost, and grabbed the only one available. Fast forward a year and my boss at the time brings in a big box of CDs and asks if I want them as they're not selling on his ebay. Yeah, turned out I had bought a few things off my future boss six months before working for him. Still have that CD too
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Complete tangent, some great cover CDs of my time...

Chicks with "Daria"... and whilst "Closet Heroine" isn't the best of the Crox it's a solid entry.

http://i.imgur.com/egWMg6Q.jpg

Rare "Pump It Up" cover from the Wildies in the Endless, Nameless era plus some decent slices from Garbage ("Stupid Girl"), Ash ("What Deaner Was Talking About") and Symposium ("One Day At A Time").

http://i.imgur.com/9z6Hpjd.jpg

Ultrasound's "Stay Young" and Buckcherry "Dead Again" but the stand-out was Cradle's cover of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" before the internet got big and the limited edition Cruelty cross set was re-released in a normal format.

http://i.imgur.com/RGG65o9.jpg

But what really helped get me into music was this one... one-album wonders Caffeine with "Better Days" and an eclectic range of great metal back when cover CDs were a bit of an event and not the same recycled pap every month.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Killing ... se/4581473

http://i.imgur.com/5mz28eM.jpg
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I *might* have had that Melody Maker one, as that was in my days of buying the music weeklies. This was, naturally, my favourite and for a while the only place to find the Chemical Brothers 'Loops Of Fury'

Sades

Post by Sades »

I might be misunderstanding this- compilation albums? To me cover=one band singing another bands' song. (If this is a common-known thing, I'm either a dumbass or it just completely passed me by. Unless this is a UK-only thing, in which case just ignore me.)

I think the closest I got back then to varied albums was movie soundtracks/The "Big Shiny Tunes"/"Now!" releases, though by the late 90's I think I was well into my 80's music/modern Country phase. The Canadian Prairies were kind of a cultural dead zone in terms of anything really interesting as far as mainstream-type music went.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Yeah, in this case cover tapes are tapes that were physically attached to magazines
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Oh cool...! I've held onto a bunch of these (I have most of those Denyer posted and that NME bleeping one) These are my favourites:

Melody Maker : The St Valentines Day Massacre - the least romantic album in the world...ever!

10 tracker from 1998 with stuff from Fear Factory, Silver Sun, Sepultura, Rocket From The Crypt and Cradle Of Filth. My favourite is Gold Blade's 'Hairstyle' ("I like your hairstyle/ its fantastic/ why don't you rub it in my face")

Beat Up The NME - 60 Knock Out Minutes Mixed By Fatboy Slim (1996)

Fab tape that, if i had the technology, I'd commit to digital. Its really good, with something that sounds like the Futurama theme opening it up. I much prefer this over 'On The Floor At The Boutique', as this just has much more colour to it.

Select At The Heavenly Social - Mixed By Monkey Maffia (1996)

Cut down version of Monkey Maffia's At The Heavenly Social mix album that is actually much better for mixing in a few indie bands that didn't make it to the album proper. Love this.
Attachments
R-112348-1455651130-7178.jpeg.jpg
R-222130-1074419304.jpg.jpg
R-1214509-1201281513.jpeg.jpg
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Skyquake87 wrote: Beat Up The NME - 60 Knock Out Minutes Mixed By Fatboy Slim (1996)

Fab tape that, if i had the technology, I'd commit to digital. Its really good, with something that sounds like the Futurama theme opening it up. I much prefer this over 'On The Floor At The Boutique', as this just has much more colour to it.
I remember that one. And that track?

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yup, thats the fella! (I was too lazy to look it up)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote:Melody Maker : The St Valentines Day Massacre - the least romantic album in the world...ever!

10 tracker from 1998 with stuff from Fear Factory, Silver Sun, Sepultura, Rocket From The Crypt and Cradle Of Filth. My favourite is Gold Blade's 'Hairstyle' ("I like your hairstyle/ its fantastic/ why don't you rub it in my face")
Yeah -- personal faves are the Backyard Babies' "Bombed out of my Mind" and Fear Factory "Resurrection" but it's a great line-up in general.

Discogs has just reminded me of this one as well... "Burger Queen", "Kelly Watch The Stars", a soulful "The Good Will Out" and some other cool bits.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Annual- ... 5889?ev=rr

http://i.imgur.com/TYVDms1.jpg

Must go back and rip some of these as discs.

Also, this MM Planet Rock tape... Foos, 3CR and Regular Urban Survivors era Terrorvision. Probably nearly wore this one out.

http://i.imgur.com/15YFIuT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YhCvd7e.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades wrote:I think the closest I got back then to varied albums was movie soundtracks/The "Big Shiny Tunes"/"Now!" releases,
It was a pretty golden era when you could get forty or so tracks mixing the latest indie hits with whatever the compilers felt like. This was my first foray into "popular" music and there's not a duff track on it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-2-Vari ... 0000075RZ/

http://i.imgur.com/rXkV5B1.jpg
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

god, I found *another* one from back in the day and this was from 1995!

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Seguing back to Windows 10 briefly, more stuff is hitting the fan...

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/03/1 ... dows-7-pcs

Training people to disable updates completely is insanely counter-productive.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Seriously? Oh, **** off Microsoft. Nobody wants your new OS.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think my next box might only be running Windows in virtual machines.

Google/Apple get away with this type of thing because people generally don't use tablets for important stuff. People who've just lost important essays, etc, tend to be more murderous and it'll reduce confidence in and hasten the decline of PCs at the very least.

Windows has always been amazingly shit at updates, being unable to patch system files without restarts, pushing updates that leave machines unbootable for a small but significant number of users, etc. XP holdouts were very embarrassing for Microsoft, as was Windows 8. But they're falling over themselves to cross a line here.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

weird, that update's not in my list after running a check, so I guess MS must have pulled it off the list pretty sharp-ish. I mean, it's not like when CCP released a patch for EvE Online which deleted your machine's boot.ini file...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

People tend to be a lot more trusting of Google and Apple in general, probably because they've got decades of good PR that they built up while everyone was busy comparing Microsoft to Emperor Palpatine. And our culture tends to view tablets and phones as something far more disposable than a desktop or laptop, which probably helps -- we expect them to be unusable after two or three years, so whether it happens due to hardware failure or software "updates" that the machine can't handle people are more accepting of it.

Microsoft really seems to be stuck in that old "we're a monopoly and can do whatever we want" mindset that earned them their bad rep in the 90s, too. They're bleeding more and more market share to mobile devices every year because their products simply can't compete when it comes to portability or ease-of-use for most casual applications (web-browsing, email, online shopping, etc.) And their solution is to make their products less user-friendly in a vain attempt to align their PC OS with a mobile OS that literally nobody wants to use, and try to force existing customers who are happy with their old products to upgrade? For free?

I just don't get the business model. Forcing people onto Win 10 doesn't make them any money, and it's liable to cost them money when casual tech users (like my wife and a lot of our friends) get frustrated with it, realize that they don't actually have any need for a PC anymore and ditch hardware that runs Windows entirely. This seems like some Blackberry-tier blindness to where the market is going.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've embarrassed myself greatly trying to work my girlfriend's tablet over the weekend ("where's the keyboard? why don't these new fangled apps work the same as when I do the same program on my netbook? oh. i've pressed something and its gone away. make it work again!") so I'll be steering well clear of Windows 10 and its wibbly half-way house between one thing and another. I'll stiuck with 7 until it dies and then... I'll probably be very confused, as we'll probably have tablety mobiles that operate by thinking hard or something.

On the plus side, at least Bill Gates can fanny around with mosquitto nets in his dotage. So that's something (probably tax-deductable).
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I really didn't want to leave XP behind, and now that Windows 7 seems stable and not shit, I don't want to leave it behind either
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Just couple days ago, my wife said she didn't click anything but the Windows updated to Windows 10 by itself on her laptop. "They didn't even give me a choice" she said. Told her I can change it back to Windows 7 for her but she refused. Go figure.