World Cup is the greatest thing ever!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hound

World Cup is the greatest thing ever!

Post by Hound »

Ok, no, it's not. However, it is waaaaaay better than any other soccer games I've ever watched before. I have no idea who's good or even what's going on most of the time but it's been really interesting.

It's been on pretty much non-stop in the break room at my work so I've seen quite a few games about a half hour at a time.

Saw Mexico versus Brazil and that was a really amazing game.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Hound wrote:Saw Mexico versus Brazil and that was a really amazing game.

Not sure if serious... :confused:

Did you catch the Spain-Netherlands game? Or the Germany-Portugal game?
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

What's soccer?

;)

The social thing at a house party last week for the England game was good fun even if the sport doesn't interest me much. Though I did learn I'm almost exactly as good at free kicks as Wayne Rooney.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

inflatable dalek wrote:What's soccer?
As Stephen Colbert once put it, it's a game for second-graders that the world desperately wants America to care about.
inflatable dalek

Notabot wrote:As Stephen Colbert once put it, it's a game for second-graders that the world desperately wants America to care about.
Remind me, how many countries play in the baseball world series again?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

inflatable dalek wrote:Remind me, how many countries play in the baseball world series again?
That's rounders with a longer bat, right? ;)

On topic though, I was really not getting excited about this tournament up until probably a week or so before it, but apart from the odd duff match and the misery of watching England it's been a really good tournament. Plenty of attacking football, and the free kick shaving foam is one of those inventions where you can't understand how it hasn't been used for decades, even though just over a week ago I wouldn't even have conceived of such a thing. Cheap, simple, and effective. Brilliant.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

inflatable dalek wrote:Remind me, how many countries play in the baseball world series again?
The same as the number of planets competing in the Miss Universe pageant.
Hound

Post by Hound »

The only ones that matter...

Yes, am serious about the Mexico/Brazil game. Mexico's Goalkeeper was awesome. I only saw the last 20 minutes of the game and then the highlights after but during that 20 minutes there were a handful of almost goals that turned into amazing saves. Very exciting to watch.

I did see the Spain-Netherlands game but only the first 10 minutes or so. Not much happened before I had to go back to working.

Haven't seen Germany play at all, though I'm told they are one of the best teams competing.

Going to spend my day off today watching World Cup with my daughter. I'm hoping to see lots of scoring...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

YOU SAY SHUTOUT AND I WILL PULL OFF YOUR HEAD.

Best World Cup since '98 thus far, and even that one was massively assisted by the sheer amount of Laudrups present.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

My impression of the Brazil-Mexico game may be coloured by me having drawn Brazil in not one but two sweepstakes - and then they turn out to be distinctly dull and average. Not as bad as Eng-er-lund, natch, but rather disappointing nonetheless. Ochoa (the Mexico 'keeper) did seem to play a blinder though. :)

Most games have been entertaining thus far, so that's good. I seem to have caught most of the dull games so far. Iran-Nigeria anyone? Chile looked good the other night though (even accounting for Spain making anyone they play look like world beaters).

I have to say, it is a new (and somewhat refreshing) experience for me as an England fan to see the team get knocked out in the group stage (after only two games, indeed!), and while the team isn't even on the pitch. Very odd. Where were the pitiful penalties? The petulant red card for whichever over-rated berk was being bigged up that year? The TV shots of glum looking plumbers dressed as knights? Quite glad I didn't have to endure all that.

I am now supporting Brazil (I stand to win about £90 if they win the thing - woot) and my not-really-but-almost-cos-my-missus-is-German-Fatherland, Germany. :)
Wreck and Rule!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Brazil-Mexico was phenomenal entertainment.

Spain being dogshit, Chile being amazing, a result-grinding Brazil, Portugal not bringing a team beyond Ronaldo, Costa Rica and Colombia in general, Australia turning up more than England have, Switzerland vs Ecuador. It's been brilliant so far. Love the World Cup.

(Meanwhile France are busy doing ALL the goals)
Hound

Post by Hound »

I work with a guy from Italy, he's gotta be pissed off right now.
inflatable dalek

Hound wrote:I work with a guy from Italy, he's gotta be pissed off right now.
So he should be, his team have ruined England's whole strategy of depending on Italy to win games so we don't have to.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Hell man, I ****ing LOVED that game as a kid!

:D
Sades

Post by Sades »

Help, my husband is watching Soccer now.

You're American and not a hipster, and our closet is already full of your hockey jerseys. I forbid you buying any soccer (SOCCER YES SOCCER) jerseys.

... Whoop, I typed the word Soccer too many times. Now it just looks bizarre.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Well, two games down and England are already out. That was disappointing, but not really surprising. Maybe we can have a better game against Costa Rica, not that it matters.
Sades

Post by Sades »

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Can we trade Chris Smalling for POTUS, please? I'd rather see Obama line up in our central defence, tbh. Or, as an alternative, can we swap Smalling for a ceramic mug (same reason as before)?
Wreck and Rule!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Neuronutter wrote:Well, two games down and England are already out. That was disappointing, but not really surprising. Maybe we can have a better game against Costa Rica, not that it matters.
Reminds me of the news story I read a while back.

The English team visited an orphanage in Brazil. "It was heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jose, age 6.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I'd watch the World Cup, but Coulter told me it showed how our morals were spiraling down.

Seriously though, it's created some funny memes this year compared to the last. We got this out of it: