Latest Music Purchases.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Bought Lionel Richie's greatest hits called Back To Front and a greatest hits record of the S.O.S. Band
Come on and wind me up.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

That's awesome! Did you know he originally wrote 'My Destiny' to be the '86 movie's Unicron theme?
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Nope. Didn't know that.
Come on and wind me up.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I has bought some records recently! I got some old ones, but aside from Credit To The Nation and Fun-Da-Mental, I can't remember who else I'd bought and listened to, so they'll have to wait.

Hellyeah - 'Undeniable' (2016)
Going to see these with a chum in the next couple of weeks, so thought I'd best familarise myself with their oeuvre. This is really good!I love the groove and swagger of this lot. Really looking forward to seeing them and I've already forgotten that Chad Gray used to be painted up like a cow in third-rate Slipknot wannabes Mudvayne! Hooray!

Ming City Rockers - 'Lemon' (2016)
Aces grungey/ garagey rock 'n' roll by a band with a terrible name. Which was a good job, as this was a record I bought just because I liked the cheery rubber duck on the cover.

Misty Miller - 'The Whole Family Is Worried' (2016)
Nice bit of alt-rock not a million miles from early PJ Harvey / Manics, by professional Brian Molko look-a-like Misty.

Babymetal - 'Live At Wembley' (2016)
Currently found at giveaway prices at record shops up and down the land, and I can kind of see why. The live show is utterly faultless, to the point that it's a bit lacking in life. Although it is great to hear a load of burly metalheads singing along :)

Pete Tong with the Heritage Orchestra - 'Classic House' (2016)
Oh my God this is awesome.Everyone should have a copy. Its such a simple and obvious idea, playing all those cracking house records that had sampled orchestral sounds ... and having an actual proper orchestra play them. Sounds magic. Best this would be the most awesome thing live. If you're not convinced, look up 'Good Life' (sung here by Katy B) which is the standout tune off the album.

Once Human - 'Evolution' (2017)
Brutal second album from OH which is even more ferocious than the first. Good start to 2017!

Depeche Mode - 'Spirit' (2017)
I have spells of flitting in and out of listening to Depeche Mode. For me, they weren't much good until the pairing of 'Violator' and 'Songs Of Faith And Devotion'... and then I just wandered off until 'Exciter' and and hadn't though much about them since, but this caught my ear. Its a good album, but I do find the anti-establishment theme and trying to whip up support for a revolution slightly comical. Only because its Depeche Mode, who are a bit silly. Best description of them I ever heard was 'Goth music for Mondeo drivers', and that holds true here.

Pulled Apart By Horses - 'The Haze' (2017)
I had to ask a music shop bod who this was playing over the PA, as it sounded familar but I couldn't put my finger on it. And was then a bit embarrassed to be told it was PABH, who I like. I think because their last outing was a bit low key by their standards, this caught me off-guard. Its not quite back to the full throttle ramalama of their earlier stuff, but a nice fuzzed-up middle ground.

The Charm The Fury - 'The Sick, Dumb & Happy' (2017)
Neat crunchy sounding metal from Amsterdam. Very heavy, but with plenty of hooks and melody. The album could have done with peppering the singles out a little more evenly, as the back half of the album is a bit forgettable, but otherwise this is pretty mega.

And because there seems to be a metric tonne of these everywhere, I picked up....

Top Of The Pops 1990 - 1994
Funny that you forget mainstream pop of this era was a right old mish-mash of stuff. Hi-NRG dance tunes, Gangsta rap, boy bands (Let Loose!) and hairy arsed rock balladry that sounds out of place in the day-glo era of the early '90s. Minus points for including the B-52s 'Love Shack' (from 1989) , not including Bryan Adams 'Everything I Do (I do it for you)' and the inclusion of Heaven 17s 1993 remixed and re-released 'Temptation' (couldn't they have picked something else?).

Top Of The Pops - 1985 - 1989
The third disc in this set is brilliant - so much overwrought power balladry in one place!This is where all those 'drivetime' albums originate!Don't think there was any need to include two Robert Palmer songs though. Although why didn't they pick 'Americanos' for Holly Johnson, rather than the forgettable 'Love Train' ? Funny business, compilations....
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Lets have a look at what finds I've plucked from the bins of thatsentertainment!

Chris Isaak 'Wicked Game' (1991)
I've got a lot of time for Chris Isaak, his mournful crooning and rock-a-billy tendencies struck a chord and he's always good value when interviewed. This then timely 'greatest hits' put him well and truly on the map. Good, solid hits package, although there's not much variety, truth be told.

Slowdive 'Just For A Day' (1992)
Wallflower indie-rock with not as much woozy feedback as you'd expect from one of the lynchpins of the whole 'Shoegaze' thing. Slightly disappointing.

Peter Gabriel 'US' (1992)
Probably scoffed at by Genesis fans and types who like Gabriel's later 'world music' phase, this great glorious gob of chart hogging POP is fantastic. Just don't watch the slightly creepy CGI videos that accompanied the singles. They're weird and not in a sort of good-weird way.

Swervedriver 'Mezcal Head' (1993)

Love Swervedriver. Noisy, loud and one of the bands that made indie music interesting before Britpop came along and spoilt it for everyone. Mezcal Head is a bit patchy as an album, but its still worth the effort for 'Duel' , 'Last Train To Satansville' and 'Girl On A Motorbike'.

Credit To The Nation 'Take Dis' (1993)
Fab hip-hop album (albeit slightly US-flavoured) with Nirvana sampling 'Call It What You Want' as an obvious touch stone.

Fun-Da-Mental 'Seize The Time' (1994)
Fantastic double album and one of the best British hip-hop records ever. I love the mix of east/west sounds and polemic that underpins this record. Great stuff.

Mazzy Star 'So Tonight That I Might See' (1993)
Debut 'She Hangs Brightly' gets all the praise and critical acclaim, but this with the incredible 'Into Dust' is easily the better of their early releases for my money. The title track is ace too. Although I still can't listen to 'Fade Into You' with a straight face, thanks to its comical use in a fight scene in, er, Starship Troopers.
HotShot81
Protoform

Lastest CD Purchase

Post by HotShot81 »

Yes, some of us still buy CDs, and I figured why not start a Latest CD Purchase threat.

Band: Linkin Park
CD: One More Light

Eagerly awaiting Stan Bush's new CD due out in late 2017.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Because there's already a big "latest music purchases" thread?

Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1J6TFHCevg
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Circa Waves 'Different Creatures' (2017)
Fantastic jolly indie riffarama! Proof that there's still some life in guitar-pop and it doesn't all have to be the morose noodlings of the XX or Bastille. Hooray!

Royal Thunder 'Wick' (2017)
Mightily heavy swampy blues-metal. Love this. Got to be one of the metal albums of the year. It's f**king awesome, feels like the soundtrack to some film that's got that heavy saturation going on and is about a bunch of badasses up to no good.

Blood Command 'Cult Drugs' (2017)
Who knew Norweigan electro-punk could be so good? I'm left cold by a lot of the stuff you get at Slam Dunk, all that perennial uplifiting two-tone take on punk that the Americans seem to churn out from some factory in southern California. So it's great to have a nice antidote to all that, with this icy and zappy sounding lot.

Ho99o9 'United States of Horror' (2017)
These rapscallions with their mix of punk and hip-hop are definitely onto something. It's not quite there yet, but there's some cool stuff going on and I like their message of challenging the society we live in today, without going full on Public Enemy. It's like those pricks you see dress up in Guy Fawkes masks spouting 'TRUTH' if they had half a clue.

Stormzy 'Gang Signs & Prayer' (2017)
Rather ace debut from the current darling of Grime. Like a lot of his ilk, it'll be interesting to see if he retains his street smarts, all we he too struggle to remain 'authentic' in the glare of the mainstream? For now, we have this, a blunt set of tunes with some of the smartest rhymes around.

While She Sleeps 'You Are We' (2017)
Staking their claim for independence and self-control with their most accessible album to date. It's a bit bubblegum in places, and there's the clear influence of Architects on this outing, but its easily their most accomplished album to date and one of my favourites so far this year.

Royal Blood 'How Did We Get So Dark?' (2017)
Second album that does the same as the first - awesome rock 'n' roll that's over a bit too quickly. There's nothing in the way of pushing their sound on, or development, but honestly, I don't care. They do good tunes, these boys and that's more than enough.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Madness 'Absolutely' (1980)
Superb second album from the Los Palmas 7. As ever, its the album tracks that really show how great Madness are. The jolly singles are fun, but there's more interesting stuff to be found in the likes of 'Shadow Of Fear', 'Disappear' and 'In The Rain'. This fancy deluxe 2CD release also packs in 7 bonus tracks (B-Sides and single versions), plus the accompanying videos for the 3 singles ('Baggy Trousers', 'Embarrassment', 'The Return Of The Los Palmas 7') and a splendid live show from Hammersmith Odeon from 23/12/80. Being recorded by the BBC, the sound is fantastic and would make for a good release on its own merits.

Adam And The Ants 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier' (1980)
My 94th purchase of this album, here with the B-Sides from the singles, four demos and two rough cuts. This is easily Adam And The Ants' best album, so is deserving of the deluxe treatment, it's just a shame they've chucked in a live show that whilst, decent, feels like it's been recorded through Adam's mic and the rest of the band feel a bit squeezed out in the sound.

Alien Sex Fiend : Original Albums Collection (2015) 'Who's Been Sleeping In My Brain?' (1983)/ 'Acid Bath' (1984)/ 'Maximum Security' (1985)/ 'IT' (1986)
I've been after picking up Alien Sex Fiend's back catalogue for years now, having owned various 12" singles and a best-of from 1995 and found the easiest way is to go for this box-set (the first of two). Each album comes with some remixes, b-sides and - cheeringly - the Peel Sessions done at the time. Best of all, by getting this direct from the band, the sex came signed by Nik Fiend and Mrs Fiend :)

Of the four albums, 'IT' is definitely my favourite - it's a creepy, brooding piece of work which irons out some of the more indulgent, almost prog stylings of 'Maximum Security' (and album which does go on a bit). Debut 'WBSIMB?' is an exciting clatter of ideas and enthusiasm which sets out ASF's stall (its a weird stall, full of spoiled meat and objects at once strange and familiar) and 'Acid Bath' does more of the same.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

I got Change The World By Stan Bush.

This is where it becomes a too cool moment. I ordered it off his website directly, guess who signed the waybill and sent it?;)

Not as good as a signed copy, but still a cool moment!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Prodigy 'Experience' (1991)
Whistles and glo-sticks at the ready!Man, takes me back this album. Pre-Criminal Justice Act larks attending illegal raves, flyers for allsorts of odd events and this; a great debut from The Prodigy. Although later efforts 'Music For The Jilted Generation' and 'Fat Of The Land' were tougher and more muscular sounding efforts, this is full of power and alarm. 'Everybody In The Place' , 'Out Of Space' and 'Fire' are great great tunes and the rest of the album is also excellent. Novelty rave -tune 'Charly' gets the Alley Cat treatment, jungling it up a bit. Good stuff.

Salt 'N' Pepa 'Blacks' Magic' (1990)
I love these girls. They're fierce and their songs are so so sharp. Love the rapping, the beats and breaks. 'Doper Than Dope', 'Negro Wit' an Ego' and 'I like To Party' are all great, and the album just fizzes with hard-edged POP. It's a great record and well worth a listen. Single 'Let's Talk About Sex' does stand out but this doesn't diminidhe the whole.

Haircut 100 'Pelican West' (1982)
Jolly summery sounding guitar pop from the Haircuts. Not really a lot to say, it's a good, solid album tentpoled by the singles 'Fantastic Day', 'Favourite Shirts' , 'Love Plus One' and 'Nobody's Fool'. This 1996 reissue adds in some terrible 12" remixes.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Apache Indian 'No Reservations' (1993)
Major label debut that's a little overlong and feels a bit like a compilation. The singles 'Arranged Marriage' and 'Chok There' have the most life and energy, which is a shame as Apache, when he's on form, is great.

Tindersticks 'Tindersticks 1st Album' (1993)
Grand proponents of 'mumble rock', and a difficult band to get into, thanks to the impenetrable nature of the vocals. Their debut is nevertheless not without charm, thanks to some understated beard-stroking loveliness throughout. And 'Marbles' is a right tune.

Madder Rose 'Bring It Down' (1993)
Neat US alt-rock that's nice and sharp, and a product of the grunge era which, if that was America's true 'punk' (not Green Day and all that shizzle), makes the likes of Madder Rose their 'new wave'. Like Belly, they're kind of folksy, but make as pleasant a racket you'll hear this side of Julianna Hatfield Three.

Spiritualized 'Lazer Guided Melodies' (1993)
After Spacemen 3 imploded in a fog of marijuana haze, J Spaceman came out firing on all cylinders with Spiritualized's debut. Which is ace. It's noodly and woozy and brilliant, has only 6 songs and takes up about an hour of your ears.

Shampoo 'Girl Power' (1995)
Ah, Shampoo. Love these girls. Perhaps a bit too raucous, shrill and punk to truly win over the notoriously fickle pop-scene,they were nevertheless great fun. 'Girl Power' dials down the racket a little and smooths out their sound somewhat. It's a really great pop record, but it failed to do the business for the girls, which is a shame. And then the Spice Girls happened and pretty much stole their thunder. As well as their album title.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Black Sabbath! And I got the deluxe expanded editions of them all which throw in an additional CD with live tracks, studio outtakes w/ alternate lyrics or no lyrics at all, etc.

Paranoid - actually has three discs, disc 2 is a DVD with the quadrophonic mix - unfortunately I don't have the equipment to try it out, even to find out how they actually got a 5.1 channel audio out of a 4 channel recording - I'm guessing they just didn't use the center speaker and subwoofer. Disc 3 entirely just alternate lyrics and instrumentals, with the former being particularly weird if you've memorized the song and you half-expect the words to come up but instead get something else entirely.

Master of Reality - includes a song called "Weevil Woman '71" which was apparently recorded under some kind of studio pressure but got dropped, and I can see why, it's really not very good, but that mostly has to do with Ozzy not sounding like he's got his heart in the performance. Half the time I can't even tell what he's singing, which plays to an unfortunate stereotype regarding this genre.

Past Lives and Live at Last - the former actually includes the latter on the other disc, but I didn't actually know this when I placed the order - also Past Lives sounds absolutely terrible. I know live recordings aren't exactly hi-fi, but did they have to screw it up even further by compressing the crap out of the dynamic range? The sad thing is that apparently the standalone, official "Live at Last" disc is slightly better, but nowhere as good as the "original" bootlegs from the 80's!

Heaven and Hell - pretty standard stuff, mostly just live tracks. There's a 7" mono single edit of Lady Evil, but I don't know what the actual difference is compared to the regular version outside of being mono. A different take maybe?

Mob Rules - the second disc is mostly a re-release of the "Live at Hammersmith" disc which was a limited edition and long since out of print, so it's nice to have here in a more affordable package. There's also an earlier take of the title track which was sent to the producers of Heavy Metal as a demo but instead they ended up using it in the movie; apparently the band feels it's a better take than what ended up on the album, but the weird thing is, I actually own the soundtrack and I never noticed a difference. And the sad thing is, that probably says more about me than the track.

Born Again - it's great to finally have an official release of "Fallen" that so far has only been blessed with bootleg versions of an alternate studio mix of the whole album. We don't get that here, instead we just get the one track, along with an extended version of "Stonehenge" and a bunch of live tracks - which include "Smoke on the Water" which I've heard some refer to as sacrilege because of Sabbath performing a Deep Purple song, but the audience doesn't agree since you can hear them singing along in the background!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That's a lot of Sabbath! :)

I bought a few things about a month ago, so lets have a look...

The Best Of Teenage Dirtbags - Various Artists (2015)
Jesus, a compliation series with a 'Best Of'. There's something hilarious about the hubris of such a thing. I bought this from a service station on the way down to Hard Rock Hell, just as an antidote to the po-faced AOR the weekened was going to bring. So this is all the bright breezy late '90s / early 2000s US punk-pop that Kerrang! has built itself on over the last two decades and basically gives you all the big obvious hits from Blink 182, Weezer, Fall Out Boy, New Found Glory and so-on. It's a good jog through the genre with some odd diversions (Hole, Puddle Of Mudd).

Grave Pleasures 'Motherblood' (2017)
Oh my God, this is just fantastic. It sounds like every '80s Goth band that ever there was but is somehow quite refreshing because of that. Absolutely cracking stuff that doesn't feel derivative as these sorts of bands sometimes can (hello Interpol).

The Defiled 'Daggers' (2013)
Furious second album from one of the UK's best metal bands who are sadly no more. Not helped by people like me, taking their sweet time to pick up albums! Whatever, love them! Such a brilliant sounding band, with a fresh, punchy take on modern metal.

Skarlett Riot 'Regenerate' (2017)
After the almost bubblegum metal of their debut, this sees a welcome shift in gear. The melodies and Skarlett's fantastic voice are still present and correct, but there's a tougher, darker more urgent sound on show. The years stuck touring small venues and the line up changes have really pushed Skarlett Riot into new waters, which is great. I just hope it's matched with an increased profile for one the UK's most promising bands.

Trivium 'Ascendancy' (2005)
I was quite curious to try out Trivium, their ouevre having passed me by and I like what I've heard off their new one, but thought I'd hedge my bets and go for their debut to start with. It's a great record, full of the quiet/loud, screaming/ singing set up that's become standard over the last decade. I like very much that it feels complete as an album and holds your attention from start to finish. I approve!

Fire Red Empress 'Black Morphine' (2017)
One of those forward thinking hard rock bands that are more the sort of thing I like about attending Hard Rock Hell with my girlfriend and about the only band that have stuck in my memory from that weekend. Halestorm are perhaps the obvious and lazy comparison, but there's something more immediate and pop about this lot that have grabbed me from the get go. Their fantastic live sound is well captured on record too, and despite some slightly flabby moments, this is a good, solid record.

Evanescence 'Synthesis' (2017)
Fantastic orchestral reworking of their back catalogue, which whilst brilliant to listen to gets me excited for where Amy Lee will take her band next. I'm hoping that new single 'Imperfection' is a signpost of things to come, as it sounds enormous and I love the mix of sounds they have. Really looking forward to seeing these live next year having played this pretty much to death since I bought it.

Jesus Jones 'Perverse' (Bonus DVD) (1993) 2017 Reissue
Presumably to help bolster their recent crowd-funding to put together a new album, Jesus Jones have licensed their strongest body of work - their first four albums for Food Records- to Rhino, who've repackaged them with b-sides, remixes, demos, radio sessions and videos. Iain Baker provides some nice sleeve notes charting the life and times of the band at the time of recording. As ever with these things, it's the squeezing out of more worthy actual b-sides in favour of some demos that we wouldn't have missed that causes the most puzzlement, but as its stands, its nice to have the bulk of the contemporary material and recordings collected together. The live footage enclosed on the DVD is, as Baker notes, not great due to the limitations of personal recording equipment of the time.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

It's been well over a year since I last went to a flea market and maybe it's just my lack of childlike infatuation with trinkets that I used to have, or maybe it's just the more tech savvy people of today taking their sales online, leaving flea markets as the outlet of the less technologically inclined and/or old people, so you don't really make any good "finds" like you used to. I still get a kick out of seeing some old household consumer goods like clock radios or kitchen apparatuses still in the original, now very dated looking, boxes but even those are slowly fading away.

Not wanting to leave empty-handed, I bought to records. Despite not even owning a turntable. I sort of have access to one, but it's in my parents' storage and there's pretty much no place for me to set it up and I doubt it's gonna work so well in the cold.

Swept Away - Diana Ross - I got this one for just one track that I recognized, which you might or might not guess.

Can't Slow Down - Lionel Ritchie - the same, but with two tracks!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Well, I'd written some stuff, but managed to lose it all. So yaaay me. Basically, I bought some records and they were all great. Except for Taylor Swift's most recent effort. More later. When I can be bothered going back over everything...
Auntie Slag

... Picking up Skyquake's slack!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Olafur Arnalds 'For Now I Am Winter' (2013)

Plinky-plonky piano full of feeling and darkness that makes me wish I could be deep and brooding, sat before a grand piano whilst it snows out the window, I'm wearing a thick turtleneck jumper, sporting designer stubble and a cat is staring at me with seemingly dark intent as I play.

Arrnalds wrote the soundtrack to ITV's Broadchurch, so you'll know what to expect if you've seen that: sparse Scandinavian ditties often so soft they won't even wake your cat, if you have one. Good album to soundtrack a murder to.

Talking Heads 'Little Creatures' (1985) & 'True Stories' (1986) (Double Album)

Mid-80's jangly guitar. David Byrne being David Byrne. I got it because of the song 'Wild Wild Life' which I must've heard on a film many years ago. A fair few uninspiring duds across both albums. I was hoping for a lot more, but for £1.50 from a charity shop I can't complain. Also contains 'Road to Nowhere' and 'And She Was'.

Smashing Pumpkins 'Melon Colie & The Infinite Sadness' (1995)

I love the track '1979' so much. All this time I've made do with a low bitrate .mp3, so I bought this album to make amends. Previous album Siamese Dream is awesome, even now!

This... isn't like that album, but its got some decent tracks and its worth buying Melon Colie if you can find it cheap. It contains tunes like 'Zero' (which features in The Simpsons' lollapalooza episode), and 'Bullet with butterfly wings'.

I don't think it wears the mid-90's on its sleeve too much. I might have bought it because there's so many people walking around these days with ripped jeans, and Kurt Cobain's daughter is starting to appear in the media, and there's Transformers films in the cinema... makes it feel like we really don't have to be specific about what year we're in anymore, just round it up or down to the nearest two decades.

Muse 'Madness' Single (2012)

This song is about lead singer Matt Bellamy having a barney with his then wife Kate Hudson, realising she was right, but was too stubborn to admit it.

I love pulsing, repetitive beats and songs that don't take themselves too seriously. Madness by Muse does this really well, and it makes me zone out, like when I'm transfixed by a lava lamp. Its also got a wonderful, cheesy guitar solo in the middle that reminds me of Prince when he did 'Kiss'. This is an addictive tune that I can never play just once.

I'm glad to know this song came about despite Matt risking a savage beating from in-law Kurt Russell, and I sincerely hope more people defy Kate Hudson in the future.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Thanks Auntie Slag!

'Melon Collie' is a bloated album. Just about every contemporary review of it said there's a really great album buried in there, if they'd have ditched half the tracks. The singles are all great, though. Its an album that signals the last hurrah for grunge. Kurt's death rather put the fire out on the scene* and the Pumpkins themselves turned into Depeche Mode for their next effort.

*I'm sure he'd have loved monstrosities like Bush and - God help us - Moist, let alone bedwetters Live and their terrible ilk which grunge inadvertently spawned.

..might have to look into Arnald's stuff. Sounds interesting...!

So. Stuff I've been boughting:

Tears For Fears 'Songs From The Big Chair' (1984)
The record that catapulted TFF to global superstardom thanks to the MASSIVE singles 'Shout' and 'Rule The World'. Despite how powerful the singles are, they don't dominate the album, which is suitably epic and pompous. This reissue is a piece of work - it's just a straight re-release of the album itself, but Universal have included a sleeve with a bunch of music journo witterings that go on about "looping experimental" song 'Way You Are' which, er isn't included on this release. Yaaay for cheap lazy cash-ins.

XTC 'English Settlement' (1982)
The band that pretty much define british gituar pop. Pretty much every indie band of the last..ooh 30 odd years can be traced back to XTC. This record is always held up as their bestest bit of work, and it's not hard to see why. You've got superlative single 'Senses Working Overtime' and great sprawling things like 'English Roundabout'. It's a marvellous album, even if the production is a little bit thin in places.

Jesus Jones 'Already' (1997) 2014 CD + DVD
An album you can tell has been hobbled by record company indifference/ interference. The onset of Britpop pretty much destroyed their relevance and everything just started to disintegrate for the Jones boys. The resulting album dials back the electronics parps and squelches that were such a staple of their sound, for something that sounds...well, like everything else that was around at the time. It's a shame as the songs themselves are good and it's a solid sounding album. Its Food's odd decision to shovel two of their best songs onto the b-side of single 'Chemical #1' that continue the impression of a band their label no longer understand. The accompanying DVD has some live footage from the short tour the band undertook in 1996 (prior to the release of the album) and you can sense the frustration of a band that have been idling in the studio too long whilst the world's moved on. The sparse audience tells you all you need to know. Iain Baker's sleeve notes pretty much match what you can hear on record, and confirms that the band were dropped after the album tanked.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ooh, Tears for Fears, you glorious bastard, you! There's an obscure BBC channel, I don't know if its Freeview or what, but they've been showing 'BBC Music presents..." and then repeat the same episode all night long.

Their first recorded performance was Tears for Fears (the first performance was recorded late last year I think), and it was pretty cool. It totally got me into 'Head Over Heels', which also got a nice dusting off when it featured in Donnie Darko. I love that song, and the video. Tears for Fears are great, I love Roland's bizarre Jagger-esque mouth and his brilliant mullet!
Auntie Slag

Hey pig, yeah you! Hey pig pig piggy pig pig....

Post by Auntie Slag »

Nine Inch Nails 'The Downward Spiral' (1994)

The first time a roommate played me 'Closer' I was utterly enthralled. Again that harsh, pulsing beat, the throbbing industrial techno-metal and the brutal chorus. Trent is so eloquent.

Sure enough 21 years later I find the album for 50p in a British Heart Foundation shop. They mistook it for a single, I think, because that's the way the album is packaged. So now I love Piggy, too.

Well worth saving for a child's, or Grandparents party.

Everything But The Girl: The Best Of (1996)

Is there anything more beautiful than Tracy Thorn singing 'Protection' with Massive Attack? Well, maybe if Trent Reznor chimed in.

A pretty superb collection of tracks such as 'Driving (Todd Terry AND the Underdog remix), Better Things, I Don't Want To Talk About It etc. You can often find it in Poundland these days, its worth so much more.

Tracy Thorn has just released a new album and was on Radio 6 last week. Her voice has changed quite a lot I think, so it emphasises how wonderful she is on these tracks.

Vampire Weekend 'Modern Vampires of the City' (2013)

Just like a Vampire, this sucks. I thought this was supposed to be a cool album of the time, and that coolness would rub off on me if I played it. No such luck!

The singer has got some annoying ticks and twitches which he must think lends him affable character, but its a load of arse, really. Not even worth it as an ironic tea coaster.