So Ben Affleck is the new Batman

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
angloconvoy

So Ben Affleck is the new Batman

Post by angloconvoy »

Anyone getting upset over it?

I'm not, I think he'll do just fine.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Yeah... i'm umm... yeah. :eek:

He could pull it off but i aint holding my breath.

I just hope he's more like he is in The Town or ARGO and not Daredevil or any Kevin Smith movie... don't get me wrong I LOVE Kevin Smith movies but that Ben Affleck would kill Batman faster than Bat Nipples (Batman & Robin)... *shudders*
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Ben Affleck was actually really good in Daredevil. Watching the director's cut showed me that it was actually poor editing and effects that made him look bad.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Meh, I'll just wait to see the end product. I thought it was a dumb move to cast Heath Ledger as the Joker, and look how that turned out.

I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck, but he could surprise.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I have to admit that took me a bit by surprise. He's a bit old for the role IMO, since he's already in his 40s and they're planning to do some Justice League movies after Man of Steel 2...we could end up with a Batman in his 50s by the time all is said and done. He's also a way bigger star than the guy playing Superman, which plays right into my fears for the next movie -- Batman is way cooler than Superman, and I'm worried that the writers will let him overshadow Supes in his own film instead of putting in the hard work to make Superman look just as awesome.

Affleck's a good actor though, and with the right direction and script he can probably pull it off.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

As it's a Batman/Superman movie not strictly a Superman sequel I don't think the overshadowing thing should be an issue. Superman may get a proper sequel on his own at some point.
Also, there's no reason Batman shouldn't be significantly older than the other Justice league members. In fact, the age difference might work in favour of the dynamic with Superman, as Batman is usually played as the wiser/more experienced of the two, wheras Superman is at heart supposed to be the optimistic, almost naive physical one.

One of my friends put it best when he said that with Affleck as Batman, at least he won't come away disappointed however it turns out :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

In terms of him as an actor I'm not hugely bothered either way, I don't think I've ever enjoyed any of the films I've seen him in but equally I don't think I've ever seen any of what are regarded as "The good ones". His Daredevil was pretty piss poor, but no one really came out of that film covered in glory. Apparently his Superman in Hollywoodland was very good, suggesting he might do a good job of an older more paternal Bats.

I do share Warcry's concern that having one of the most famous actors on the planet play Batman opposite a guy playing Superman who is only really known for playing Superman is going to really unbalance their onscreen relationship (though I suppose for kids that won't be a problem as I can't see there being many 8 year old Affleck fans).

Hell, Affleck's also a more successful director than the actual director, it's going to be hard for the film not to be entirely skewed around him.

It's interesting they've gone older than Bale, with the new Doctor Who being in his 50's it's the return of the middle aged action hero. It does feel odd in the sense that when they announced this film Dark Knight Returns was cited as a influence, so arguably they haven't gone old enough for that world weary dynamic to work.

Still, as long as he stays in shape, and allowing that most of the actions scenes are going to be done by stunt men in a bulky costume, it should be workable in the long term. Everyone seems fine about Downey Jr. carrying on as Iron Man into Avengers sequels that will see him in his early 50's.

Plus, as with the Doctor, I think we've been slightly conditioned by the tendency to cast young for family friendly roles. Early 40's into mid-50's isn't that old in reality.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:Batman is way cooler than Superman
Hence he gets the cooler actor.

I don't mind either way, don't really think I particularly hate or love Christian Bale that much to mind him being replaced.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Warcry wrote:I have to admit that took me a bit by surprise. He's a bit old for the role IMO, since he's already in his 40s and they're planning to do some Justice League movies after Man of Steel 2...we could end up with a Batman in his 50s by the time all is said and done. He's also a way bigger star than the guy playing Superman, which plays right into my fears for the next movie -- Batman is way cooler than Superman, and I'm worried that the writers will let him overshadow Supes in his own film instead of putting in the hard work to make Superman look just as awesome.

Affleck's a good actor though, and with the right direction and script he can probably pull it off.
I think that is the point as to why they cast Affleck is too have a older and wiser Batman to counterpoint a younger and inexperienced Superman.
Batman is way cooler than Superman
Speak for yourself! IMHO Superman has always been way cooler than Batman (who is often written as a self-righteous arrogant prick who is more alien than Superman is. Now when Batman is written as a human being (like Nolan's trilogy) then he's cool but he's still not as cool as Superman.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I think it could work. I didn't dislike Bale's Batman, but I don't think he did anything that nobody else could have done. It was mostly a lot of growling Batman's lines while doing the Bruce lines in a silky smooth voice. They could have switched the actor behind the mask halfway through the movie and I'm not sure I would have noticed.

I actually think Affleck is a decent actor when he gets into it. He's been in some bum movies, but so have lots of good actors. I forget which of his movies I was watching, but a ways into it it struck me, "Hey. Affleck's actually being a good actor here."
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

It really wasn't his fault the Daredevil movie was bad; just saying.

I'd like to wait for a trailer before judging a movie I haven't seen yet. Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised...
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

The movie Daredevil on itself was pretty crappy, but I don't think that's Affleck's fault. He wasn't phenomenal in it either though. I just hope that when he's in his Batman suit, I won't see a Black Daredevil.

You know who would've been a great Bruce Wayne/Batman? Ray Stevenson from Rome/Dexter.
Batman is way cooler than Superman
Indeed. Seeing a human overcome impossible odds is way more entertaining than seeing an alien with godlike abilities. Superman's solution to everything is pretty much to smash it. Just like Hulk :p

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I see it. I thought Man of Steel was a disaster, but I'm hoping for the best.
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I was never a big Batman fan, but the Nolan movies and Arkham Asylum have made me appreciate him much more.

Superman I just don't care for. He's too... super. Maybe they've changed it up a bit lately, but the whole "He can do anything and his only weakness is a rare space rock" is kind of silly. I don't identify at all with him.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Springer85 wrote:Indeed. Seeing a human overcome impossible odds is way more entertaining than seeing an alien with godlike abilities. Superman's solution to everything is pretty much to smash it. Just like Hulk :p

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I see it. I thought Man of Steel was a disaster, but I'm hoping for the best.
Actually no, Superman is actually very very smart in some ways smarter than Batman. The problem is writers don't show that side of him very often and when they do show it the fanboys cry foul and say what you say. A great example of this was in Superman: For Tomrorow showing him literally outsmarting angry elements of the Earth itself. Grant Morrison is his run on JLA showed Superman (when he was an energy being) pulling the moon back into orbit without the help of Batman, The Atom, or any of the other super-smart people telling him how to it, he figured out to solve the problem by himself.

Batman's solution is: money. He just buys whatever he needs training, equipment, companies, allies, and etc.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

After sitting on this for awhile here are my thoughts.

I think Ben Affleck would be great for bruce wayne. He's cocky, sometimes witty, and can crack a smile.

But for Batman... i just can not see it. I honestly can't see him doing a good dark and brooding vigilante who's carrying a mecha-crap-ton of emotional baggage. I hope he surprises us all I really do as now we've learned he's signed on for multiple pictures, and he's gonna be in this role for awhile.

Don't get me wrong me still gonna see the movie (it's Batman vs. Superman how could I pass that up?) i'm just worried it's gonna be lacking in that awesome factor.

I totally agree with what Jeremy Jahns said on his Youtube video: In that if they were to change his mask into one that covers his mouth, I would have no problem with him playing Batman as I won't see his face while he's Batman. Also it looks pretty badass. And if i see his mouth i'll just see Daredevil in a black suit, as the bottom part of the masks would be identical.

I'm not gonna judge this until I see him playing the role, as it's as unfair as judging a pie before it's cooked. You haven't tasted it yet so how could you possibly know how good it is? However i'll slowly take a small bite and not dive in face first, to make sure i like it first.

Hope that makes sense to everyone. :eyebrow:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:After seeing what everyone else said for awhile here are 'my' thoughts.
Fixed.
inflatable dalek

Of course, there's no guarantee this Batman will be written as a dark brooder. With Man of Steel establishing the new Supes as a heavy-browed individual it would actually make more of a successful contrast between the two if Affleck's Batman took his inspiration from lighter versions of the character.

That assumes any common sense thinking going into the making of the film of course. Snyder is a fantastic visual director (and Man of Steel was a gorgeous looking film) but tends to struggle with character a lot more.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a full face mask, something along the lines of the Batman Beyond costume (which was Bruce's first, so it might help stop fans' bitching. Probably not though. The red bat logo could look pretty good onscreen too.
inflatable dalek

I suspect that'll never happen with live action, the determination with movies (understandably to an extent even if it shows a lack of imagination) seems to be for masked heroes to spend as little time as possible with their masks actually on, in theory so we get the full range of actor-ly expressions.

Batman actually seems to be a bit of an exception to that rule (indeed, there's that odd bit in Batman Begins where they establish the initial cowl can be easily broken which seems to be setting up an unmasking for the climax but then never gets mentioned again) but I still can't see them going for a more face covering mask.

The first two Rami Spider-Man films (and presumably the third as well but much like the more recent one it was a movie I could never summon up the will to watch) are quite fun to watch for all the hoops they jump through to get his real face (or at least most of it) on screen in key moments.

Though Batman Returns has by far and away the most awesome one (well, it beats Captain America sort of forgetting his as often as possible because it looks silly) with Christopher Walken's "Bruce Wayne... what are you doing dressed up like Batman?" line.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

inflatable dalek wrote:I suspect that'll never happen with live action, the determination with movies (understandably to an extent even if it shows a lack of imagination) seems to be for masked heroes to spend as little time as possible with their masks actually on, in theory so we get the full range of actor-ly expressions.

Batman actually seems to be a bit of an exception to that rule (indeed, there's that odd bit in Batman Begins where they establish the initial cowl can be easily broken which seems to be setting up an unmasking for the climax but then never gets mentioned again) but I still can't see them going for a more face covering mask.

The first two Rami Spider-Man films (and presumably the third as well but much like the more recent one it was a movie I could never summon up the will to watch) are quite fun to watch for all the hoops they jump through to get his real face (or at least most of it) on screen in key moments.

Though Batman Returns has by far and away the most awesome one (well, it beats Captain America sort of forgetting his as often as possible because it looks silly) with Christopher Walken's "Bruce Wayne... what are you doing dressed up like Batman?" line.
In the case of Batman the cowl and suit is very unconfortable, hot, stiff, and the cowl is hard for the actors to turn their heads and see.

Christian Bale said in one documentaries on the DVDs that the cowl used in Batman Begins gave him serve headaches and that would put him in a bad mood and speaking as someone who suffers from migranes believe me when I say that is no joke. I've read that Val Kilmer said that was the one of the reasons he didn't return after Batman Forever was that suit miserable experince for him and that the script sucked (and IMHO Kilmer wanted to be more like Robert Downey Jr. and Johnny Depp, at their point of their careers ie: ecentric young actors who did "smart indy movies" and dabbled with mainstream movies only when it suited them and/or when they needed money).