People are stupid...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hound

People are stupid...

Post by Hound »

There's a Gundam Forum I've been visiting. Some guy just posted a thread asking for baby name suggestions. Says he named is first two kids Athrun Zala and Lacus Clyne and got away with it because his GF was too stupid to figure out where the names came from.

In other words, total troll.

So I fed the troll...

I told him that naming your kids after cartoon characters was stupid, especially bad cartoon characters.

I probably shouldn't have started a fight but it's been so long since I've called out a troll.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I try to be chilled and relaxed these days, but it can be easy to get sucked in (see the Regeneration One fans who seem to have real issue with people not finding the book the best thing ever resulting in seemingly endless Me: It's OK with some real weak bits. Them: How can you say such evil things YOU ****" exchanges).

I did just give up on one forum with a small community where the few real headcases tended to drown out the more reasonable posters. Having someone going to great lengths to belittle your thoughts on X-Men 3 of all things (in large part it seemed because I compared this superhero film almost directed by Brian Singer to Superman Returns, the superhero film Brian Singer made instead, which was apparently completely OT) whilst at the same time going on about how they don't really care what you think did wind up feeling like a downward spiral of pointlessness.

People disagreeing is great, and indeed the lifeblood of a forum. People not finding what I say worthy of any attention is fine and dandy as well. People going out of their way to be twats just tends to grind my gears rather than being seen as a challenge these days so it's better to just get out and leave 'em to it. This place is fairly small as well, but at least we all tend to be chilled and the vigorous debates in good faith.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

I hope you pointed out that Supes Returns is largely crap, as evidenced by the fact that Lex Luthor kicking Superman's ass is a stand up and cheer moment?

As far as the topic at hand - if you name your kids after a program, find a common/non-mockable name. My son William may possibly be in part named after one to several Buffy the Vampire Slayer characters, but it ain't obvious/ a social handicap. If someone really named their kids Athrun Zala and Lacus Clyne? Be worse than my otherwise very sweet and also btw verra hot co-worker naming one of her kids "Teajinn"....

edit: yeah, let me spend much time showing how little I care about you does seem like an innate defeat on the part of that site's bozo, I.D,,,,
inflatable dalek

It was (possibly badly stated, but hardly irrelevant), IMHO, that the general assumption a Singer directed X-Men 3, and indeed the forthcoming X5 (? However the numbering works) would have been great when the film he did instead is even more hated the The Last Stand wound be being is a slightly wonky one. All of which sprung out a throwaway joke on my part that may well have been lame but was still very obviously a joke, complete with smiley.

Bliley, daft how these ultimately silly things can get under my skin. Away from such nonsense, or I'll start to look like I'm even more lacking in perspective as well.

I actually, and possibly insanely as I've never met anyone who thought the same, really like the name Bernice for a girl. As the first place I heard that name was a relatively obscure Doctor Who spin off character I suppose that would be technical sad geekery if I were ever to get to use it on a human being.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Good point. X3, so to speak, could definitely use a dialogue doctor, but I definitely enjoy it more than "Lois Lane looks a college sophomore and Superman's kind of a creep (though he does sound an awful lot like Christopher Reeve credit-where-due)kinda off-putting in general" movie...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I'd hardly call it great lengths.

Good call openly slagging me off both on Facebook and another forum you know I read though.
inflatable dalek

There'd hardly be any intent to go behind your back when my last post at the other site, fairly succinctly in one sentence, summed up my feelings on the matter. As you were fairly direct in finding my opinions not worth your time I've little doubt you're not that bothered by my thoughts (on the site as a whole mind, that was just the specific example that made me give up) now.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Quit hijacking my troll thread. please?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:I actually, and possibly insanely as I've never met anyone who thought the same, really like the name Bernice for a girl. As the first place I heard that name was a relatively obscure Doctor Who spin off character I suppose that would be technical sad geekery if I were ever to get to use it on a human being.
It's kind of a "shit, we were expecting a boy" name like Nigella, isn't it?

Not that I'm arguing the pros/cons of the good Professor when written well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm pushing for Roadbuster.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'd go for Slag, that way I've got both sexes covered :)
inflatable dalek

Hound wrote:Quit hijacking my troll thread. please?
YOU SUXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Denyer wrote:It's kind of a "shit, we were expecting a boy" name like Nigella, isn't it?

Not that I'm arguing the pros/cons of the good Professor when written well.
The irony is I've not read/heard enough of her to have a strong opinion either way on her character, I just like the name.

If it were a boy though I'd call it Fred after Romana 1. :0
Sades

Post by Sades »

Our list has something like 80 names... We tried breaking it down a bit once, it wasn't pretty. So we're saving THAT fight for when we know what we're having. :p
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

If I ever have a boy I'm gunning for Max Logan. He'll grow into having such a manly name by all the childhood beatings he'll get because of it.

For a girl's name I would recommend Dave.

Edit: Oh, and Hound, water is wet.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

And I didn't name my son after Prime Rafael even though his name Raphael isn't a common one in US. Prime cartoon wasn't even on Hasbro's table when he was born.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

When we were expecting our first son, I joked with people that I wanted him to have a unique name that nobody else had, but I wasn't into all the silly misspellings like "Dilyn" or "Austyn", so I was going to go with "Adolph Judas".
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I named my cat Liara Tali Angel.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I named my ukulele Howard after being told it needed a name. There is a picture of Howard Moon on him so I just went with it.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

We went for old German-Prussian names, as my heritage is Prussian.

Never cared for any fictional/cartoon/comic name
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

To be honest Hound, there are people who have named their children after Final Fantasy chracters and even My Little Pony characters.

So all we know the person might've been absolutely serious.