Brand new smegging red dwarf

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

'Entangled' definitely felt like the weakest offering so far. still funny, but nothing laugh-out-loud, and I thought the cat/kryten entanglement was a missed opportunity for some old-fashioned slapstick. still fun though, and still enjoying it
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I was fairly ill whilst watching it and found it hilarious. I'd suggest a fever may well add to the comedy factor.

They are retreading a lot of old ground though. Seemingly knowingly, as for the lead not-Gelf they got back the same actor who played the Not-Ainsley-Hariot-Gelf in exactly the same scene in Emohawk. But still retreading all the same.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
verytired

Post by verytired »

Was anyone else annoyed by Rimmers Hard-Light / Soft Light switch? Maybe I was getting too nerdy, but I want to know how that works, as he's supposed to have a little mechanical device called a Light Bee inside him projecting his image. If he passed through the wall, then there's a whole new set of rules for him! The rules aren't even based around him being a light being, as light can't pass through solid matter: how did he do it?!

Also, I don't think even in the silliest moments of the other series that the Scientists death would be treated so flippantly.

I dislike this series so far, as at best it's only as good as some of the more mediocre episodes of series gone by. It's about as funny as season 8.
inflatable dalek

verytired wrote: Also, I don't think even in the silliest moments of the other series that the Scientists death would be treated so flippantly.
Reminded me of Rimmer's second death in Timeslides. Though for a less good precedent there's the funny accented scientist in Back to Earth...
verytired

Post by verytired »

inflatable dalek wrote:Reminded me of Rimmer's second death in Timeslides. Though for a less good precedent there's the funny accented scientist in Back to Earth...
I could argue against the 2nd Rimmer death, as no one caused it or observed it, and if Holly was shocked by learning Rimmer was alive then so would everyone else. Mind you, that always annoyed me as an odd, throw away gag to cover the lack of ending the episode.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

verytired wrote:Was anyone else annoyed by Rimmers Hard-Light / Soft Light switch? Maybe I was getting too nerdy, but I want to know how that works, as he's supposed to have a little mechanical device called a Light Bee inside him projecting his image.
Yeah the light bee was conveniently forgotten wasn't it. Regardless of any other factors his bee couldn't pass through a solid object.
verytired wrote:Also, I don't think even in the silliest moments of the other series that the Scientists death would be treated so flippantly.
It was a kind of ho-hum, didn't she die fast kind of moment, though as soon as she was introduced her death couldn't be far away.
verytired wrote:I dislike this series so far, as at best it's only as good as some of the more mediocre episodes of series gone by. It's about as funny as season 8.
Besides the first episode I haven't really enjoyed the others. The Jesus was was daft, this one was mediocre, actually they've all been pretty poor. My wife and I sat through this one only laughing once or twice, the rest of the time wishing it was funnier. Ah, well.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

This one had a few chuckles. After the novelty of Red Dwarf being back wore off, I've realised its not quite as funny as it was. Still better than anything else on TV at the moment . . .
I like bears.
verytired

Post by verytired »

Summerhayes wrote:This one had a few chuckles. After the novelty of Red Dwarf being back wore off, I've realised its not quite as funny as it was. Still better than anything else on TV at the moment . . .
Have you seen Hunted on BBC? It's bloody good, though I haven't seen more than two episodes: I'm usually at work, and my internet connection is shocking when it comes to streaming videos.
inflatable dalek

Probably the first real weak episode, which considering we're near the end isn't to bad.

But because nothing much happened (though once again Cat stole the show) I wound up wondering about continuity. Which you should never do with Red Dwarf. Today I also happened to watch Better Than Life, the first episode with a mail pod reaching the ship. Which had me wondering at what point Earth stopped sending mail to this lost ship, and how one that reached the ship at least a decade after the first could have mail for Lister that must have been sent less than nine months before the accident...

And if there is still a Jupiter Mining Corporation out there that cares enough to pester Rimmer about his rank, surely they'd want their ship back? It's not as if they do any mining or anything like that.
verytired

Post by verytired »

inflatable dalek wrote:...I wound up wondering about continuity. Which you should never do with Red Dwarf...
Yes, best steered clear of in Red Dwarf. I mean, Lister should have travelled back in time and married Kochanski in season 2 if their pre-destined future theory is accurate. Plus, what happened to the nano-revived crew? And why do mining lasers have heat seeking missiles? And how come it's believable a knight can come out of the AR machine and start whacking people?! And how many bloody crew mambers are there supposed to be: 169, 1000?! AND WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON-
inflatable dalek

verytired wrote:Yes, best steered clear of in Red Dwarf. I mean, Lister should have travelled back in time and married Kochanski in season 2 if their pre-destined future theory is accurate.

Oh that's easy, it's the EVIL future Lister from Out of Time in Stasis Leak. Before his accident obviously. ;)
Plus, what happened to the nano-revived crew?
Apparently there is supposed to be a mention of the new crew and their fate somewhere this year, so presumably that's next week now. Though that is from claims from the studio audiences and this episode at least apparently had a fair bit of reshooting done afterwards so that may have been lost.

Going by claims on GB, the last two episodes are fairly late in the day replacements for stuff they couldn't afford- with the original plan for Kochanski to turn up this week (so a narrow escape there), and the episode six we're getting being a cannibalised version of the film script rather than what they originally wanted to do. Doesn't sound promising does it?

EDIT: Oh, and the Knight thing was shite. In an otherwise good episode as well (that says it all about the having-to-write-Rimmer-out-VII, all the best bits had Rimmer in).
verytired

Post by verytired »

inflatable dalek wrote:Oh that's easy, it's the EVIL future Lister from Out of Time in Stasis Leak. Before his accident obviously. ;)
Oh, you're good!
inflatable dalek wrote:Apparently there is supposed to be a mention of the new crew and their fate somewhere this year, so presumably that's next week now. Though that is from claims from the studio audiences and this episode at least apparently had a fair bit of reshooting done afterwards so that may have been lost.

Going by claims on GB, the last two episodes are fairly late in the day replacements for stuff they couldn't afford- with the original plan for Kochanski to turn up this week (so a narrow escape there), and the episode six we're getting being a cannibalised version of the film script rather than what they originally wanted to do. Doesn't sound promising does it?
None of that sounds promising at all, especially the movie script bit.
inflatable dalek wrote:EDIT: Oh, and the Knight thing was shite. In an otherwise good episode as well (that says it all about the having-to-write-Rimmer-out-VII, all the best bits had Rimmer in).
Are you ignoring Ace Rimmers bloody god awful voice? Chris Barrie obviously forgot what the character sounded like all those years ago... Although, I'm a sucker for mush, and "...all those Rimmers!" still kind of gets me.
inflatable dalek

verytired wrote:Oh, you're good!
I wish I could take credit for that but it's not my idea. It works surprisingly well though, even at only a few years older than Lister his future self with access to time travel is a bit of dick, it's easy to see the road that would lead to Out of Time.

None of that sounds promising at all, especially the movie script bit.
One of the promo/interview videos doing the rounds a few weeks ago had the cast talking about a movie scene with:
SPOILER! (select to read)
Captain Hollister, suggesting he might be turning up even if in the context of the interview it was hard to tell if they meant a Movie scene that was being used next week or just a scene from the film script in general.

Are you ignoring Ace Rimmers bloody god awful voice? Chris Barrie obviously forgot what the character sounded like all those years ago... Although, I'm a sucker for mush, and "...all those Rimmers!" still kind of gets me.
yeah, voice (and wig) aside, it writes him out in a fairly smart way that feel right for the character. That's why, until it's firmly proven otherwise, I'm going with the Rimmer in the recent stuff being based on the one from VIII after he died...
verytired

Post by verytired »

inflatable dalek wrote:yeah, voice (and wig) aside, it writes him out in a fairly smart way that feel right for the character. That's why, until it's firmly proven otherwise, I'm going with the Rimmer in the recent stuff being based on the one from VIII after he died...
I read somewhere that the script writers were in the mind that this was the original: that sits better with me to be honest. The dynamic between him and Lister feels to familial for it to be Nano-reincarnated-Rimmer, who was supposed to be like Season One Rimmer. If it is him, he'd be the first Rimmer to skip out of being Ace without dying, which I can imagine him doing in a very weasley way.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'd love it if they had Lister get another appendectomy.
verytired wrote:Have you seen Hunted on BBC? It's bloody good, though I haven't seen more than two episodes: I'm usually at work, and my internet connection is shocking when it comes to streaming videos.
I haven't, but probably will.
I should rephrase; better than any comedy on TV at the moment.
I like bears.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Seen up to the last-but-one now, and it's starting to become noticeable (or possibly part of the meta-comedy) that anyone other than the regulars generally gets bumped off...
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Seen the last one. Not particularly funny and felt like it was over too quick. Great Rimmer moments, though.
inflatable dalek wrote: And if there is still a Jupiter Mining Corporation out there that cares enough to pester Rimmer about his rank, surely they'd want their ship back? It's not as if they do any mining or anything like that.
They always say "JMC onboard computer" so I guess its an automated thing making the decisions the JMC would make.
I like bears.
verytired

Post by verytired »

I've not been keeping up: have they explained the fate of the nano-revived crew yet?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think they abandoned the ship at the end of series 8, so there are other folk out there... plus having thrown travel through time and other dimensions in already (even back in the early series) the "last man alive" schtick was only ever a tagline.

With two left to watch; hasn't been a bad series.
verytired

Post by verytired »

Denyer wrote:I think they abandoned the ship at the end of series 8, so there are other folk out there...
I know it's a comedy show, but I wish they didn't bring in big things like the crew coming back, and then just abandon them like that. But, say-lah-vee.