The Pros and Cons of Modern Action Films and Directors.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Cliffjumper wrote:Joss? Joss Stone? Joss Ackland? Jos Verstappen? FFS, he's a film/TV director, not your ****ing mate or a religious leader. Nice to see you treated it like any other film rather than an easily led cultist anyway.
So, this isn't you getting riled up, telling me I'm a cultist (or a fanboy) and that I shouldn't discuss the director by his first name only? In which case I'd like to see you actually annoyed, at least from some distance. Maybe behind a screen. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, that's me laughing my arse off at how low your standards are and how easily you're conditioned.
Neuronutter wrote:And anyone who has seen Buffy, or any of his works, knows what his dialogue sounds like.
So it is, it's a :love: Joss :love: film because of a bit of dialogue (because he totally invented quips and pop culture references). Guessing X-Men is a :love: Joss :love: film as well, yeh?
numbat

Post by numbat »

You know, I have rewatched Avengers in my home on my modest-sized TV on Blu-ray and I still love it (without oo-ah-epic-screen-and-sound). This is quite amazing as I hate the Avengers comics. This is made even more amazing by the fact I hate all of the characters in comics bar Iron Man (who I more-or-less tolerate). I think it hit the right note as a no-brainer blockbuster. It was well executed but nothing new - frankly though, a well executed unoriginal film is better than a poorly executed radically inventive one 9 time out of 10 and with these budgets you ain't ever gonna see the latter on this scale.

I personally prefer the tone of Bay's Transformers films and really think they deliver far better suspense and action sequences than Avengers though - come on the highway battle in DOTM blows anything in Avengers out of the water. Plus the Chicago battle really feels like the world could end whereas there really is never a moment you doubt the Avengers will save the day with minimal human casualties - it's just too jolly (great for an uplifting light blockbuster though!).

Like Blackjack, I felt Loki was poorly handled in Avengers - he was much more complex in Thor, and the transition to standard must-rule-the-world supervillain made no sense and no attempt was made at an explanation. Still, he's a really cool villain, and Transformers can't compete with how poorly Megatron is handled (I still love that scene where he talks with Carly though, but, erm, yeah they really wasted the character). And let's not even mention The Fallen... Sentinel Prime is the closest thing the Transformers film have to a well executed 'villain' and they really don't give him enough to do to match Loki's portrayal in Avengers - although at least his motives make sense and are clear.

Yeah - I think it's just down to personal preference between DOTM and Avengers - although Avengers really has no personality while DOTM maybe has too much of Bay's.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Cliffjumper wrote:Yeh, that's me laughing my arse off at how low your standards are and how easily you're conditioned.
So I have low standards because I liked the Avengers movie? And I'm easily conditioned because I've watched Buffy and can recognise Whedon scripted dialogue? Huh.
Cliffjumper wrote:Joss [/color]:love: film because of a bit of dialogue (because he totally invented quips and pop culture references). Guessing X-Men is a :love: Joss :love: film as well, yeh?
I'm assumed you've seen Buffy so you know what I'm talking about. The Avengers dialogue feels like it was written by Whedon.

As for X-Men, Whedon's run on Astonishing (notice how I'm calling him by his surname) is great, the dialogue is, as you put it quippy and full of pop culture references, and the entire run is tremendous fun. I haven't read that many x-men comics, so I can't compare to other runs, but I enjoy Whedon's whenever I reread it.

And X-Men? I didn't know who wrote that but according to IMDB it was Tom DeSanto, Brian Singer, and David Hayter. Not sure what you're getting at.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Can't find the article I was reading regarding DVD sales, but here are some charts that show the general slump. The overall figures don't seem to agree with the ones on Wikipedia - possibly different charts with different calculation methods like the top 40 and the old NME chart - but in 2009 (http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2009.php) you have 15 titles breaking the 4m mark; by 2011 there are just 4; the Twilight series drops several million in the same period.

Like I say, DVD sales are incredibly difficult to judge because there are so many different ways of seeing a film once it's on home release, ranging from boxed sets to simple piracy (in-film cams still aren't really a viable alternative for big-budget action; cloned DVD ISOs uploaded to filesharing services are a serious danger to DVD/Blu-Ray sales). While obviously marketing and the like play into a film's box office the bottom line is still that customers are (largely) presented with multiple choices for the same price at a cinema, whereas on the secondary market the customer is just as likely to walk away with a Wii game.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Neuronutter wrote:So I have low standards because I liked the Avengers movie? And I'm easily conditioned because I've watched Buffy and can recognise Whedon scripted dialogue? Huh.
You seem to accept his name as an inherent seal of quality and get a little tetchy when he's criticised.
I'm assumed you've seen Buffy so you know what I'm talking about. The Avengers dialogue feels like it was written by Whedon.
And the dialogue in the McKellen/Loncraine Richard III sounds like Bill Shakespeare. It doesn't mean it's his film, it must means he wrote some of the script.
And X-Men? I didn't know who wrote that but according to IMDB it was Tom DeSanto, Brian Singer, and David Hayter. Not sure what you're getting at.
"Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cliffjumper wrote:"Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
You know what, despite spending much of my professional life surveying amphibians, I just don't know - what does happen?

I'm guessing it's not good for the toad...

;)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Cliffjumper wrote:You seem to accept his name as an inherent seal of quality and get a little tetchy when he's criticised.
Not at all. If you look earlier in the thread I expressed my opinion on Dollhouse. I'm not keen on it. And you are the person calling me a fanboy and a cultist when I've leveled no such terms in your direction.

I do happen to think Whedon is a good writer and director and would direct your attention to Serenity (the Firefly movie spinoff, in case you're not aware of it) which I like very much and think is a well made science fiction movie that was made for a a much smaller budget.

But I think it's unfair to criticise Whedon for sheparding the Avengers without acknowledging that the dialogue had his distinct stamp and that he did a good job of marshaling everything within the movie to create a satisfying experience. You didn't like it, fair enough. I did and I'm looking forward to watching it again.

All in all, I'm grateful the movie was as fun as it was and that all the work leading into it with the other movies wasn't for nothing. You're opinion is undoubtedly different. But I would recommend Captain America, if you haven't seen it, as I would Thor, as movies you might like more than Avengers.
Cliffjumper wrote:"Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
That Whedon was it? Ouch. Wonder why his name isn't credited on IMDB?

Also, didn't he write the awful Alien: Resurrection?
numbat

Post by numbat »

Neuronutter wrote:Also, didn't he right the awful Alien: Resurrection?
Yes Whedon did write Alien: Resurrection, and that coupled with his interviews discussing the ideas behind it on the DVD really put me off the fellow. I mean, by the Great Mongoose, I just hate when what should be a well crafted by basically simple sci-fi film gets hijacked by someone who wants to make some point abouts something in a heavy-handed way: in this case genetic engineering / cloning. And how outdated was it? Probably would have been at home in the '60s or '70s but it was not handled in a manner contemporary to the '90s.

Thank the Great Mongoose that the superb director managed to somewhat salvage the film as a stylish European dark comedy (I particularly enjoy the alternative cut which has a much clearer tone), but as an Alien film Whedon delivered a total disaster.

Apparently, though, when he doesn't try and push his own views and produces a generic actioner (like Avengers) he does a decent job!

The Avengers fits in my 'I've had a long day and want to vegetate in front of big flashy explosions' category, alongside other greats such as the three Bay Transformers films, Star Wars (including prequel trilogy), Matrix trilogy and the first two Jurassic Park films (afraid I need to be totally sloshed to want to watch the third, and then only for how laughably terrible it is or the T-rex Vs Spinosaurus fight, which is a fun idea but terribly executed).

I actually like the Avengers more than Captain America or Thor, but these are both also perfectly good films to pass the time. I do prefer the two Iron Man films, and haven't seen the Incredible Hulk yet.

(As a side note I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Captain America - he's my least favourite superhero after Superman, and just loses to Spiderman... It's a bugger to be one of four 'prominent' [I use the term loosely, given there are only four Scottish arachnologists that I'm aware of] Scottish arachnologists and to also hate Spiderman, let me tell you!)

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:So suspense comes from press releases now? Good. Grief.
Be fair, if you're going to criticise the film having a lack of suspense because of the announced sequels, those announcements can also be used to create it.

Though considering his sizeable supporting role in three of the four preceding films, is Caulson going to look more or less like an invented for the movies disposable character to the bulk of the audience than Hill or even Hawkeye?

Personally thought all the edges were firmly filed off long before the end. He's no longer the Hulk, unstoppable force of nature. He's now a fully paid up helpful heroic member of the Justice League of Disney Moneyspinners all nicely packaged and cleaned up. Did you see how awesome he was? And how his apparently destructive and unstoppable rages didn't result in a ****-ton of bystander casualties? God that's marketable. Wait until the focus groups see that. I think I just came in my Calvin Kleins.
Some of those edges were never really there, has Movie Hulk ever actually killed anyone by accident? It's been a while since I've seen either but as far as I recall his rampages in San Fran and New York round one were equally bloodless, at least onscreen.

I think there's an argument for some careful ignoring of that sort of thing, in much the same way it's tactfully ignored the Autobots must be directly responsible for dozens of human deaths everytime they fling a Decepticon into a building or blow things up on the highway (hell, it's halfway through the third one before we get onscreen evidence that even the Decepticons role in the big city battles kill any bystanders all).

Jesus that bit was stupid, wasn't it? To be fair, it was the only laugh the first hour got out of me.
It's especially odd as his own film basically takes place in an alternate reality where Hydra and the Red Skull were the big bads of World War II rather than the Nazi's (even if there's the implication the rest of the war is happening around it). Closest he gets to punching a Nazi is as part of the USO show Dempsey from Dempsey and Makepeace has him put on.

Cliffjumper wrote: Hang on, why does Fury still have his job at the end of the film? He's apparently removed from command (or was that message from Loki? Or Iron Man? Or Jesus?), he's left a bunch of superheroes running around America, the Heli-Carrier's been blown to ****ery and he's given the Allspark back to Thor...

He may well be sacked actually, with Wheedon doing the SHIELD TV show for NBC they'd never be able to afford him for more than a cameo, so having him "Go away" and be replaced by Hill (played by a more affordable TV actress) would make sense. Isn't that basically what happened in the comics around the time Wheedon was doing his X-Men run?

"Whedon wrote Astonishing X-Men in Marvel Comics' popular line of comics about the X-Men but finished his 24 issue run in 2008 and handed over the writing reins to Warren Ellis. The title, recreated specifically for Whedon, has been one of Marvel's best-selling comics as of 2006 and was nominated for several Eisner Awards including Best Serialized Story, Best Continuing Series, Best New Series and Best Writer, winning the Best Continuing Series award in 2006"
I must reread Astonishing at some point, I loved the first few issues but the three legged tortoise level publication rate killed the momentum for me. I'm also still not sure if they changed Kitty's powers since the 80's or her being able to phase for longer than she can hold her breath at the end is a cock up.
With the exception of Iron Man 2, none of marvels movies have broken the 100 million mark so Avengers was definitely not a sure thing. Whedons movie is the 3rd or 4th highest grosser of all time. If youre saying thats not in some way down to his direction than the argument for keeping Bay on for a fourth transformers because the other 3 were successful is moot.
I'd say that's fair, you can't give either director full responsibility for the failings of their films but put their successes (box office or otherwise) down to everything but them.

Cliffjumper wrote:I don't think Unicron would work solely for mechanical reasons.
I used to think that, but them pulling off Cybertron in Earth's orbit makes me think they could do the looming threat overheard part of things very well. Mind, as it would basically be the same visual they probably won't any time soon, even if all three films to date have basically the same plot they at least try for different set pieces.
Neuronutter wrote:
That Whedon was it? Ouch. Wonder why his name isn't credited on IMDB?
IIRC there's only two lines in the final film from his script, that and "You're a dick".
numbat wrote:Yes Whedon did write Alien: Resurrection, and that coupled with his interviews discussing the ideas behind it on the DVD really put me off the fellow. I mean, by the Great Mongoose, I just hate when what should be a well crafted by basically simple sci-fi film gets hijacked by someone who wants to make some point abouts something in a heavy-handed way: in this case genetic engineering / cloning. And how outdated was it? Probably would have been at home in the '60s or '70s but it was not handled in a manner contemporary to the '90s.
I think the big problem with Alien 4 is Ripley. As I said before, Wheedon's big blind spot is sincere. And Ripley was sincere, she wasn't a stock quip throwing action bad ass (I think she managed about three sort of quips across the previous films). She was very much a real, scared person thrown into terrifying situations trying to overcome them, getting down to it with a minimum of fuss.

That's the joy of the character really, she's not the cliché. The scene in Aliens where she's watching the Marines go into the power plant and sees the chest buster come out of that woman on the CCTV sums up the character perfectly, she's horrfied and scared and then pulls herself together in a no nonsense way to try and get everyone out of there OK.

Wheedon writes her as Buffy. She's a joke making bad ass who has about one genuinely emotional moment in the whole film. Sure, she's not the same Ripley and it's nice they did try to make her seem a different character, but it's a less interesting one and robs the series of a lot of its heart in a way the AVP films and Bloody Prometheus never regained.

(As a side note I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Captain America - he's my least favourite superhero after Superman, and just loses to Spiderman... It's a bugger to be one of four 'prominent' [I use the term loosely, given there are only four Scottish arachnologists that I'm aware of] Scottish arachnologists and to also hate Spiderman, let me tell you!)
You mean they don't dig you not liking Spider-Man?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

inflatable dalek wrote:It's especially odd as his own film basically takes place in an alternate reality where Hydra and the Red Skull were the big bads of World War II rather than the Nazi's (even if there's the implication the rest of the war is happening around it).
I'd never really thought about that. The world in Avengers should be totally different if it's in the future of the Cap movie. Where are the Hydra weapons? Heh!
inflatable dalek wrote:I must reread Astonishing at some point, I loved the first few issues but the three legged tortoise level publication rate killed the momentum for me. I'm also still not sure if they changed Kitty's powers since the 80's or her being able to phase for longer than she can hold her breath at the end is a cock up.
Ah, the advantages of coming to something like that late when a lovely hardcover collection has already been released. Plus it's so popular it's still in print and likely to stay that way.

inflatable dalek wrote:IIRC there's only two lines in the final film from his script, that and "You're a dick".
They kept two of his lines? No wonder he's not credited. Still the toad line sucks so why keep it in?
inflatable dalek wrote:I think the big problem with Alien 4 is Ripley. As I said before, Whedon's big blind spot is sincere. And Ripley was sincere, she wasn't a stock quip throwing action bad ass (I think she managed about three sort of quips across the previous films). She was very much a real, scared person thrown into terrifying situations trying to overcome them, getting down to it with a minimum of fuss.

That's the joy of the character really, she's not the cliché. The scene in Aliens where she's watching the Marines go into the power plant and sees the chest buster come out of that woman on the CCTV sums up the character perfectly, she's horrfied and scared and then pulls herself together in a no nonsense way to try and get everyone out of there OK.

Whedon writes her as Buffy. She's a joke making bad ass who has about one genuinely emotional moment in the whole film. Sure, she's not the same Ripley and it's nice they did try to make her seem a different character, but it's a less interesting one and robs the series of a lot of its heart in a way the AVP films and Bloody Prometheus never regained.
Yeah she wasn't the same, was she. She was supposed to be a different Ripley, but I'm not sure it worked. I liked Alien 4 when it came out, then changed my mind when I saw it recently.

Not a fan of Prometheus? Me neither and I was very disappointed. I may have let my excitement build too much but having said that it really wasn't very good. I do want to revisit it and see if my opinion stands because I'm still not sure exactly what it was I didn't like about it. Everything, probably.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I loved Prometheus - best film of the year for me.

(Maybe you should all just disregard my views on the other films under discussion...)

Also items on eBay.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Be fair, if you're going to criticise the film having a lack of suspense because of the announced sequels, those announcements can also be used to create it.
Who said anything about announcements? I watch films, I don't read press releases. It's obvious from very early on that the film has no balls and is very interested in keeping its' new franchise stars alive.
Though considering his sizeable supporting role in three of the four preceding films, is Caulson going to look more or less like an invented for the movies disposable character to the bulk of the audience than Hill or even Hawkeye?
Apparently the bulk of the audience didn't see those films because the big numbers were brought in by lovely Joss, though. If Hill was going to die she'd have been crushed by rocks at the start. If Hawkeye was going to die Loki would have killed him.
Some of those edges were never really there, has Movie Hulk ever actually killed anyone by accident? It's been a while since I've seen either but as far as I recall his rampages in San Fran and New York round one were equally bloodless, at least onscreen.
That's more a negative for them than a positive for Disneyvengers, surely? Considering how much Banner bangs on about how it's not a good idea to stress him out in the first half of the film (especially when he hasn't said anything for three minutes) it was a bit stupid for the film not to even try addressing why after all his wangst the Hulk just does as he's ****ing told and doesn't really give anyone any bother. Did Harry Dean Stanton (Harry Dean Stanton in a ****ing Disney film) give him magic trousers?
hell, it's halfway through the third one before we get onscreen evidence that even the Decepticons role in the big city battles kill any bystanders all).
Apart from when Megatron flicks Michael Bay into a car in the first one or Demolishor runs over a ****ton of motorists in the second one. It's not dwelled on for sure, but it's there and it's balanced by showing the deaths of military personnel, often in great numbers - not to mention the clearly implied deaths of motorists in 1 & 3's highway scenes. Avengers doesn't even do that - when the Chitauri attack they blow up parked cars and cafe furniture. Once more, though, the problem lies in the script signposting what a loose cannon Hulk is and then showing that he's not actually any trouble.
Isn't that basically what happened in the comics around the time Wheedon was doing his X-Men run?
I know they wrote him out of the universe at one point in the nineties (faked his death at the hands of the Punisher, IIRC) but I stopped reading Marvel when Quesada ****ed too much up.
I'd say that's fair, you can't give either director full responsibility for the failings of their films but put their successes (box office or otherwise) down to everything but them.
Why not? Box office and film quality are two different things. How many people went to see this thing because it was a Joss Whedon film? Whedon probably deserves credit for turning the thing in on time and, who knows, without him it could have been even more of a car crash. But the commercial appeal is down to a bunch of comic characters who are nearly as old as he is (in America both the Avengers and their core characters have been big news for a long time) and a great big promotional budget. His name probably did help grease a little word of mouth through his cultists but I doubt the thing would have died a death without it.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:Wheedon writes her as Buffy.
Whedon writes every female character like Buffy, when he's not writing them like Faith or Cordelia. Like J.J. Abrams he's something of a one-trick pony who lucked into doing the exact thing he was good at for a few years and built up an overrated reputation as a result.

That said, I don't really don't see much difference between Avengers and the Transformers films, quality-wise -- or Abrams' Star Trek, TBH. All three play fast and loose with the source material and boil it down to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to put as many butts into seats at the theatre as possible. An Avengers movie was never going to be Ultimates in the same way that a Transformers movie is never going to be Last Stand of the Wreckers and a Star Trek movie will never be Best of Both Worlds. Hollywood just doesn't do smart action movies anymore, at least not on purpose. That's not going to change no matter who the director is, not until the mindset of the bigwigs calling the shots changes.

So to bring the discussion back around to where it started, I'm perfectly happy with Bay coming back for another go-around. No matter who's directing we're not going to get a well-written, intelligent Transformers movie any time soon, and if nothing else Bay does a good job of the "giant robots clobbering each other" spectacle.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Warcry wrote:Whedon writes every female character like Buffy, when he's not writing them like Faith or Cordelia. Like J.J. Abrams he's something of a one-trick pony who lucked into doing the exact thing he was good at for a few years and built up an overrated reputation as a result.
There's also Willow, Tara, Fred, River and so on.

Most of Whedon's reputation is built on having made one of the best TV shows of the last fifteen years. And even with the not so good seasons 6 and 7 Buffy is still a brilliant show. As for Abrams, Super 8 is a wonderful movie. It was good seeing him doing something like that, something he clearly wanted to, in between Star Trek movies.
Warcry wrote:Hollywood just doesn't do smart action movies anymore, at least not on purpose. That's not going to change no matter who the director is, not until the mindset of the bigwigs calling the shots changes.
I'm going to see Looper this weekend on the hope that it's just that: a smart action movie that's intelligent, well put together and well acted. So far that's what the reviews I've seen say it is and I hope I'm not disappointed.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Cliffjumper wrote:That's more a negative for them than a positive for Disneyvengers, surely? Considering how much Banner bangs on about how it's not a good idea to stress him out in the first half of the film (especially when he hasn't said anything for three minutes) it was a bit stupid for the film not to even try addressing why after all his wangst the Hulk just does as he's ****ing told and doesn't really give anyone any bother. Did Harry Dean Stanton (Harry Dean Stanton in a ****ing Disney film) give him magic trousers?
It's unfortunate that Incredible Hulk hasn't been given a proper story arc in his previous films to lead him to the point he should be to be part of the Avengers (and not an adversary).

Whedon explained it in a way that I think works, but what you're missing is what it took to get to this point. And that is: you're seeing two different Hulk's in the Avengers movie. There's the savage, raging Hulk that Banner turns in to involuntarily (or when he loses control, so to speak). And then there's the Hulk that he can control when he Hulks out voluntarily.

I like the idea. There's the monster that Hulk controls and there's the monster that Banner can control.

I just think the build up to that point was missing. We could have gotten there with two well written, continuous prequel movies, but they blew that. There's definitely a foundation for this in the movies (including The Avengers)...but not a lot. I am assuming that was the reason for the two completely different Hulk out animations as well.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Neuronutter wrote:There's also Willow, Tara, Fred, River and so on.
Willow's largely written as a male character. She's a fairly standard male geek just played by an attractive female. She's adorable but until she gets with Ozz there's very little that couldn't have been said by a man. The same trick's done with the one with a perfectly spherical head in Firefly.

Tara's largely defined as a foil for Willow.

Fred is a tweaked Willow.

River is a blend of previous Whedon characters - Druisilla and Faith mainly.

I'd say the phrase "the past 15 years" is pretty meaningless TBH. Buffy probably is in and about the best despite its' faults (and its' faults are many, mostly rooted in having a very dislikeable main protagonist) but that says more about TV in the past 15 years, which has shown a habit of overextending any half decent concept until it's terrible (Heroes, Lost, Prison Break, Supernatural). Go back a few more years and I could name twenty series that obliterate Buffy.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Brimstone wrote:I like the idea. There's the monster that Hulk controls and there's the monster that Banner can control.
It's a good concept but the problem is it could have been written into the film with a little thought - the other characters spend the first half gently ribbing Bruce about how he can't control the Hulk, he repeatedly states he's in complete control (maybe with his characterisation a little jittering so the audience don't know whether he will be able to or not), the Hulk comes out and does his Disney, great big I Told You So. But the film goes out of its' way to show that everyone - Banner included - still thinks he's collateral damage in big trousers.

It's bits like that that show that no-one was really paying any attention to actually thinking through the basic mechanics of the story, which is basically the director's job. It's a bit of an old chestnut, I know, but this is worth a read for anyone who hasn't: -

http://twitpic.com/3blasf/full

Just take note of the care and attention put into the simple dynamics and logical cohesion on show there. Does anyone really think there was anyone caring that much during making Avengers?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Cliffjumper wrote:Willow's largely written as a male character. She's a fairly standard male geek just played by an attractive female. She's adorable but until she gets with Ozz there's very little that couldn't have been said by a man. The same trick's done with the one with a perfectly spherical head in Firefly.
Fair enough. My point was that Whedon has written more than one kind of female character. You have a Buffy type, a Willow/Fred type, a Faith/Cordelia type. OK, so that's still not many, but it's more than just one.
Cliffjumper wrote:I'd say the phrase "the past 15 years" is pretty meaningless TBH. Buffy probably is in and about the best despite its' faults (and its' faults are many, mostly rooted in having a very dislikeable main protagonist) but that says more about TV in the past 15 years, which has shown a habit of overextending any half decent concept until it's terrible (Heroes, Lost, Prison Break, Supernatural). Go back a few more years and I could name twenty series that obliterate Buffy.
I was just trying to talk about a time frame within reference. Buffy is often talked about as one of the best TV shows ever made. I'm not sure I'd go that far but it's certainly was one of the best in the period in which it aired and since. Heroes was a shame. After a solid first season they killed it. My wife and I enjoyed Supernatural until the end of season 5 and since it's been pretty dull. I've never watched Lost having no interest in a series that either never answers it's own questions/is all about the mystery/would probably annoy the cr*p out of me. As I said I've never seen it so I don't know how accurate my assumptions are.

You could post a list of those twenty shows on your homepage, for anyone who was interested? Out of interest what shows do you like?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Best shows I've ever seen?

Ideon
Turn A Gundam
The Prisoner
Survivors, despite a few wobbles in the final year
Avengers Seasons 4-6 (Diana Rigg shows, I forget where they are on whether her shows are 2 or 3 series now)
Blake's 7
The Prisoner
Twin Peaks
Firefly
Edge of Darkness
Peep Show (I'd actually say this has the edge on Buffy, though it's difficult to compare stuff across genres)
Sapphire & Steel
Extras
Various slices of Doctor Who, though with the longevity there're huge peaks and troughs, quite often in the same season
Only Fools & Horses
Darkplace
Beast Wars/Machines
Highschool of the Dead

Prime is shaping up very nicely but there's still plenty of time for it all to go very badly wrong.

Probably others I've shamefully forgotten. I watch too much TV.