Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Mr_Hi_n_Mitey wrote:This weekend, I just bought something from way back in the Olden Days - that deals with the Classic Monsters of Horror. I look at it like this - most of us can identify with at least 1 of the stories about the Classic Monsters. After self-examining and self-evaluating myself, I pretty much figured out which classic monster/horror story that I can identify with the most. Coincidentally, I was at WalMart this weekend and I just happened to stumble across a DVD package that included both FRANKENSTEIN and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN - and no sooner said than done, I was at the checkout counter paying for it and my groceries, and then out the door heading home. I know that this is a thread about recent DVD purchases, but just to be curious, which classic monster/horror story would any of you identify with the most?

Probably The Frankenstein Monster first and foremost. Since I've always and mostly likely be an outsider (both by choice and fate) that doesn't fit in society all the time.

Dracula would be a close second. I feel like a vampire sometimes after listening to right-wing douchebags calling people on disability and government assistance leeches and moochers. If you ever wonder why I hate the American conservative movement that is your answer.

The Wolf Man would be number 3 because I grow a beard really fast.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Three new films on blu ray!

Capricorn One: Suffers slightly from the fact that, as it's being faked anyway, no one seems to have put any thought into what a mission to Mars would actually be like and just done it as the Moon landings. Which may well be the point (it is to all intents and purposes "WHAT IF THE MOONLANDINGS WERE FAKED?!?!? after all) but it's still annoying to see things like the Luna Lander being used as a viable Martian landing craft when it simply wouldn't work in any way shape or form. It's an odd film that on the one hand expects people to care enough that the journey time is being followed accurately but not to know what sort of vehicles would be needed.

But, the conspiracy side of things is hilarious hammy fun, utterly ludicrous and played so completely straight by everyone (you can almost see what got James Brolin cast as Bond in Octopussy, certainly more so than in the screentests that got him the job before Sir Rog returned). Plus you get to see OJ Simpson put through hell, which is nice.

The climax--where Kojak saves the day whilst flying a biplane and shouting "Pervert" at everyone sums up the whole film. It's idiotic but really well shot fun.

1984:

I don't know if this Aussie blu ray uses the alternate soundtrack (though Eurythmics are still on the end credits), but the music wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. Maybe I'd so set myself up to be aurally raped that it just came over as mildly dated 80's synth instead.

The film itself was a very good adaptation of the most mundanely realistic totalitarian regime work of fiction ever written (try watching it without thinking "North Korea"), fantastic performances and a nice divide between the completely straightly played scenes set in reality and the more surreal dream sequences.

Plus, John Hurt. He's quite talented you know.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

You said three new films! That's only two!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Picked up Batman TAS Vol. 1.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Tetsuro wrote:You said three new films! That's only two!
He's probably revealing the third one exclusively on his blog.

Seriously, the guy cobbles together one book and he's clickbaiting all over the place.

He'll be writing for Buzzfeed next.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

inflatable dalek wrote: Plus, John Hurt. He's quite talented you know.
That's the third one. He either received personal home movies of John Hurt, or John Hurt is now locked away in Dalek's DVD/celebrity vault, sitting next to Christopher Hewett.
inflatable dalek

Tetsuro wrote:You said three new films! That's only two!
I said I'd bought three, I didn't say I was going to talk about all of them!

I haven't actually watched Fahrenheit 451 yet. I'm guessing Julie Christie will get her kit off again though. Smoking hot you might say.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:
Seriously, the guy cobbles together one book and he's clickbaiting all over the place.

He'll be writing for Buzzfeed next.
"When Hi-Test picked up Throttle in a bar you won't believe what happened next!"
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

32 Opinions I Have About Doctor Who That You Won't Believe A Person Who's Watched It Can Have.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Buzzfeed has writers? I just assumed it was a GIF-aggregation algorithm.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I assumed much the same until I stumbled into a subsection of Twitter comprised of London-based journalists. 80% of them are either current or former Buzzfeed writers. It's quite disconcerting, because beyond that they seem to be fully functioning human beings.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I'd wondered what journos were doing with the death of the print industry. That may well be the saddest of all possible outcomes.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Picked up Captain America: Winter Soldier and Iron Man 1, 2, and 3 on Bluray due to a sale at Target in advance of Age of Ultron.

Would have picked up AOU as well, as they were putting it out AND it was on sale, but the register wouldn't let them ring it up until October 2nd. But, it got me 3 dollars off by way of apology, so whatever.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Really? Ultron's been out for a fortnight over here.

I know we got it in cinemas a bit ahead of you guys but I didn't realise the home release was so far ahead. Sucks to be foreign, I guess.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Yes, yes, for once it's magically stupendous to be English.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Really? Ultron's been out for a fortnight over here.

I know we got it in cinemas a bit ahead of you guys but I didn't realise the home release was so far ahead. Sucks to be foreign, I guess.
The stores in the US can't sell it till 12:01 the day of it's release because they don't want to get sued. This happens all the time with movies, TV shows, video games, and CDs. I've bought games on day 1 that had that sticker saying "DO NOT SELL UNTIL AFTER 12:01 AM"

I could legally buy AoU today with most of if not all the Blu-Ray extras (except for a commentary track) if I had the money on Xbox Live and any number of other streaming services.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:The stores in the US can't sell it till 12:01 the day of it's release because they don't want to get sued. This happens all the time with movies, TV shows, video games, and CDs. I've bought games on day 1 that had that sticker saying "DO NOT SELL UNTIL AFTER 12:01 AM"
Yeah, thanks for explaining how release dates work as a response to a comment that it was released here weeks ago.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Capricorn One
The big problem with Capricorn One is that it's this huge government conspiracy and all they've got on hand to stop it is three helicopters, and the idea that if it was that big survivor boy (was it Gould who made it out? Don't even remember) has just got everyone at that funeral killed.
I don't know if this Aussie blu ray uses the alternate soundtrack (though Eurythmics are still on the end credits), but the music wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. Maybe I'd so set myself up to be aurally raped that it just came over as mildly dated 80's synth instead.
Nah, the thing with the 'score' is that Eurythmics recorded a whole themed album which on the theatrical run, the VHS and I think the first couple of DVD releases just straight-up replaces the original score with inappropriate results. If Lennox isn't singing over various scenes the blu-ray's retained the "director's cut" version.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:The big problem with Capricorn One is that it's this huge government conspiracy and all they've got on hand to stop it is three helicopters, and the idea that if it was that big survivor boy (was it Gould who made it out? Don't even remember) has just got everyone at that funeral killed.
Brolin is the astronaut who survives (the fate of the other two is ambiguous. Well, I say ambiguous, I mean "It's really obvious they're killed after being recaptured but my mother was surprised when the film ended without them popping up again"), Gould the journalist who helps him.

Turning up at his own funeral would actually make sense if it was portrayed as the media circus it would be in reality, a guaranteed way of getting his face onto every TV in the country and thus make killing him and his family pointless. But that's where the budget lets it down again, there seem to only be about ten people there and not one TV camera (which in one way is lucky, if they could stretch to security at an event with several important government figures at it he'd never have gotten close looking like Stig of the Dump).

Brolin's original plan of getting to a TV station would make more sense, especially as Gould's TV reporter girlfriend seems to only be in the film to make this possible yet it doesn't happen.

In fairness to the helicopters, there is some classic Terrance Dicks "There's 500 more Cybermen on the other side of this door" dialogue to make it clear there are more choppers out there hunting for the men ("Pull the teams from the south, they'll have gone either of the other three directions. We caught OJ Simpson? Well, that's fairly easy. Send the teams from the East to support the North and West..."), it's just they always travel in pairs as if the film could only afford two of them.

It is however odd Gould seems to telepathically know the other two have been captured, telling Kojak he wants to find "A" friend and so on.

Nah, the thing with the 'score' is that Eurythmics recorded a whole themed album which on the theatrical run, the VHS and I think the first couple of DVD releases just straight-up replaces the original score with inappropriate results. If Lennox isn't singing over various scenes the blu-ray's retained the "director's cut" version.
Yay! Though it must have been a bugger to do a 1984 themed album when Bowie already nailed the idea.

The ending was slightly ruined by Trigger from Only Fools and Horses being in the last scene, which was a bit distracting.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Got Thor on the cheap from Target, and finally picked up Age of Ultron. Now just missing The Dark World and The First Avenger, after which I'll have the entire MCU on BluRay (barring shows).
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

We picked up Winter Soldier on the same Target sale. Still good after 3 watchings. Still haven't seen Dark World or the new(est) Hulk (and no intention to see Hulk, either). I wasn't impressed with First Avenger, so that's not in the collection, but just about every other recent Marvel movie is on the shelf now. Keep up the good work, Disney/Marvel!