PS3/PS2 compatibility question.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

PS3/PS2 compatibility question.

Post by Notabot »

I don't have a PS3, but am sort of kind of starting to start thinking about maybe getting one. I just did some googling, though, and got some mixed answers about playing PS2 games on a PS3.
I know (now) there's about 27 different kinds of PS3s. Which ones would be able to play PS2 games? Is it true that none of the slims are able to play them at all? And are the rumored heat issues really issues, or are these mostly just doofuses who left bubble wrap around their system?
Thanks
Soundwave
Protoform

Post by Soundwave »

Ok Simply put the original one there was inevitably a 20 gig, a 60 gig, and an 80 gig. The 20 gig only played PS3 games, the 60 gig was backwards compatible via hardware and the 80 gig was backwards compatible via software(that meant that some games would be backwards compatible some wouldn't.

Now as far as the slims are concerned I'd assume that they allow ps2 games to be played, however I have heard rumour that they do not and that almost makes sense , because ps3 now has a better foothold on the gaming industry and is actually getting some decent games being made for it. So the necessity to keep it backwards compatible has waned significantly.

That being said it is still one of the cheapest blue ray players out there.
I hope this helps.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I was assured by a very good friend who used to manage a branch of a well known national video game store that my PS3 slim wouldn't be able to play PS2 games.

I've never had reason to doubt his word, so haven't attempted to find out if he was wrong or not.

[/not really too helpful]
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Unless they do a massive software update in the future then you are left with having to buy the very first models (80Gb) and the last of those were produced about 2 years ago now. The slim as noted is not backwards compatible at all. Best bet if you were wanting one that was specifically backwards compatible would be Ebay, or searching around for fat PS3's in stores and checking the boxes as they used to advertise the fact on them.
My old PS3 does get pretty hot, but thus far I've not had any issues, though in general none of the current consoles are hardware safe (even ignoring the 360's red ring o' doom) and I would expect that if you have any over 4 years and you use it fairly regularly then you'll need to replace.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Mine's a 40 gig(I think, I got it used), and it works fine. It won't play PS2 games, but I've still got my PS2, so it's no big deal.

I know zip about the slimline ones, although I've heard they dropped the PS1 compatibility.

The only damage through overheating that I've heard about happened to somebody I used to work with, but he never turned it off, apparently. It warped the casing a little, but that was it.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Heinrad wrote:I know zip about the slimline ones, although I've heard they dropped the PS1 compatibility.
I don't know where you heard that. All PS3s have backwards compatibility with PS1 games (though there are a few that don't work for one reason or the other). The Slim PS3s lack PS2 compatibility, and recently through a firmware update, Sony axed the ability to run Linux on the system.

As for which models do what: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio ... comparison
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

If you get the 3.21 Firmware update, they dropped the OtherOS thing from all of them.

So much for upgrading to Windows 7.........
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

Could be wishful thinking but can you download ps2 games or singstar ps2 music on the ps3?