So, Twin Peaks...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

So, Twin Peaks...

Post by Cliffjumper »

...has there ever been a satisfying explanation for why the film ignored the cliffhangers set up by the end of the series, and instead chose to simply show a lot of stuff we'd been told in the series anyway? Christ, so Laura Palmer was a damn trainwreck, that's established before the end of the pilot. We don't need to see Sheryl Lee with her top off to get the point across...

Plus side: Kiefer Sutherland in a demeaning, pointless role. Wasn't even a mad cameo a la Bowie/Prochnow/Stanton, just a "anyone can play this, what about Kiefer Sutherland?" part.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I believe they actually filmed a lot of stuff related to the end of the series but it all got hacked out.

Has season 2 come out over here yet? I'd actually like to finally know how Coop survived all those bullets...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Like I know about DVDs from shops (sure I read somewhere the Gold Box [definitive apart from the film] is imminent over here).
SPOILER! (select to read)
Coop survives through BEING SOLID AWESOME
Apparently Lynch wants to reincorporate 17 scenes into the DVD, but apparently it's tied up in the Canal+/Pathe/whoever it was, sure they were French contract mess. It depends whether the hints from the finale are actual hints, or stuff like the Annie Blackburn cameo that did make it in (which again was just someone repeating previous stuff). Mind, I'll buy it as long as there's more Lucy in it. I love Lucy, even if she's basically miles out of line for the entire second season. Lucy and Gordon Cole should have just had a spin-off series, that'd have been so awesome.

I want to know what happened to Pete, damnit! Rewatching it over the weekend, I'd forgotten that he actually had a proper role in the thing, which is just amazingly mental considering Jack Nance is just Lynch's mad old friend.
inflatable dalek

Well, as long as season 2 gets its own release as well. I can't really spend oddles on a set I already have half off. At least not this time, it was a birthday present so chucking/selling it on isn't really an option. I'm noble like that.

I'm currently not buying the new Avengers boxset. Even if it's episodes I don't have and it comes with a book. I may currently have the amazon page open in a window but I shall resist.

Is the TP film actually any good beyond not filling in details from the last episode?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

No, not really - it's mainly about Laura Palmer being a complete bitch. Seriously - it starts off with a segment on the Theresa Banks case, and then when it actually moves to Twin Peaks it's mainly about Laura and Leland, with most (if not all) of the other characters who make the cut largely reduced to cameos. So unless you need what actually happened to Laura not just spelt out to you but actually shown to you, it's a bit of a bust really.

There are some mitigating circumstances, such as them having to recast Donna and omit Audrey, plus Kyle MacLachlan wasn't hugely co-operative (though by the sounds of it he would have just had Chris Isaak's part as well), but by the sounds of it "the last days of Laura Palmer" was always going to be the hook.

It's not even a particularly good film in its' own right - if you don't know the series it's nonsensical, if you do know the series it's still pretty nonsensical and irritating to boot. A straight follow up to the end of Season 2 wouldn't have been any more confusing for those who didn't actually watch the show, and wouldn't have been such a wasted opportunity for those who did.

Mind, in some ways it's Lynch's fault for throwing so much in the last couple of episodes hoping it would basically force the network to commission series 3.

EDIT: Not so sure you will be getting a standalone Season 2, sorry dude :(
inflatable dalek

Bloody typical. Shame as I'd completely missed it at the time it went out (I think I saw about half of one in incredibly fuzzy quality on Channel 5 whilst waiting for the new Shannon Tweed erotic thriller) and didn't really have any preconceptions but wound up really enjoying season 1. Though from what I gather bar the cliffhanger the second year isn't as good.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, after they tie up the murder about 5/6 episodes in (at the network's behest - Lynch wanted it to run and run) it goes a bit variable, not least because of the excuses they have to come up with the keep Cooper in Twin Peaks. It's still largely watchable simply because there are 20+ really good characters played by highly capable actors in there, but it undeniably goes off-song.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:Bloody typical. Shame as I'd completely missed it at the time it went out (I think I saw about half of one in incredibly fuzzy quality on Channel 5 whilst waiting for the new Shannon Tweed erotic thriller) and didn't really have any preconceptions but wound up really enjoying season 1. Though from what I gather bar the cliffhanger the second year isn't as good.
Stop watching once the mystery is wrapped up. Seriously.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, Albert's return sort of makes a lot of other stuff worthwhile, same with Cole. Almost worth the headaches.
inflatable dalek

I do already know whodunit, I was suprised it apparently turns out to be the character I'd suspected right from the start (well, in body anyway, if I've got that right...).

It's a bit barking the studio would give David Lynch a TV show and then try and force it to be less David Lynchy. What did they expect?
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

Was the film done after the series ended? I was under the impression it was filmed between series 1 and 2, as there wasn't going to be a S2. But I may be wrong. I usually am.
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
inflatable dalek

Word to yo mamma, season 2 gets its own standalone release this month. I like to think this thread influenced them. A win for me even if I did cave in on The Avengers (General Smyth was in yesterdays! It's only just clicked, he was the Cat Priest in Red Dwarf as well wasn't he?)