Disney buys Marvel for $4 Billion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Springer007 wrote:I hated the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer sequel movie. It just was horribly done and the writers deserve to be stabbed in the eye with a very hot french fry, then choked by a pretzel.
Out of curiosity, what exactly was wrong with the first FF movie? Characters were spot on, and the only major changes were really out of sheer necessity (illegal shuttle launch to beat the commies doesn't really work by the time the new millenium rolls around, Doom's origin folded in to the origin of the FF to save running time). I've constantly heard the movie slammed left, right, and center, and it's never made a lick of sense to me.

On topic, I can't really get too worked up about this news, given that Marvel's continuity has been left in tatters the last few years. Annihilation was good, but Civil War and Secret Invasion were out-and-out horrid. At this point, the only Marvel book I really read is Astonishing (and even that is only because of Ellis), which is sad given that I grew up reading Marvel comics religiously.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Out of curiosity, what exactly was wrong with the first FF movie?
It wasn't DARK AND EDGY enough for the family story it's traditionally been.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Oddly enough, when I read the thread title, the fiirst thing that ran through my mind was a Disney-fied Wolverine.......

Once the laughter stoppped annd I could breathe again, I wondered how this would affect the Ghost Rider sequel.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
slartibartfast

Re: Disney buys Marvel for $4 Billion

Post by slartibartfast »

Although I don't fully understand stock markets, I'm surprised it sold for so little.

[edit]:
http://marvel.com/company/index.htm?sub ... urrent.htm
http://investing.businessweek.com/resea ... sp?ric=MVL
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Anyone posted this yet?

Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Out of curiosity, what exactly was wrong with the first FF movie? Characters were spot on, and the only major changes were really out of sheer necessity (illegal shuttle launch to beat the commies doesn't really work by the time the new millenium rolls around, Doom's origin folded in to the origin of the FF to save running time). I've constantly heard the movie slammed left, right, and center, and it's never made a lick of sense to me.
Uhhh, (IMO, of course) the only characters that were spot on were Johnny and Ben, the script was terrible, the acting wooden, the action poorly blocked, Doom was....just terrible. The only parts of the movie I enjoyed were Johnny and Ben bickering.
On topic, I can't really get too worked up about this news, given that Marvel's continuity has been left in tatters the last few years. Annihilation was good, but Civil War and Secret Invasion were out-and-out horrid. At this point, the only Marvel book I really read is Astonishing (and even that is only because of Ellis), which is sad given that I grew up reading Marvel comics religiously.
Iron Fist is worth reading, and I quite like the supernatural hijinks in New Avengers recently.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Halfshell wrote:It wasn't DARK AND EDGY enough for the family story it's traditionally been.
Beat me to it. The FF has always been inventive and fun. The film lacked much of the former but hardly lacked the later.

I actually think much of the 2000's marvel (and DC) has actually not done their characters service. SPiderman should have angst, The X-Mne too coupled with isolation, social exclusion and lonelieness and the ridclious OOT drama and MEGA EVENTS has spoilt the developement of characters and stories.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I was trying to think of what was wrong with the FF movie but the acting was one of those issues. I remember watching the Marvel Cartoons and enjoying those a lot more than the Marvel movies. X men's only two redeeming factors were Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman. I had to admit that Jackman did a fantastic version of Wolverine! I wasn't really into Ian being Magneto. Even though the acting was wonderfully done on his part, Magneto has always been a physically imposing figure as well as a good orator. The FF movie was better than the Punisher movie from the 80s with Dolf Lungran as the Punisher. Nothing can be that excruciating to view..
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Zisteau wrote:Uhhh, (IMO, of course) the only characters that were spot on were Johnny and Ben, the script was terrible, the acting wooden, the action poorly blocked, Doom was....just terrible. The only parts of the movie I enjoyed were Johnny and Ben bickering.
Sue was weak, not going to deny that (course they cast what amounts to a tit delivery system). Reed and Doom, on the other hand, showed signs of someone having a clue. Acting wasn't spectacular, and they were hamstrung by weak writing, but they nailed Reed's "dumbest smart guy ever" bit, and Doom's "vain, egomaniacal tyrant" schtick.

Don't get me wrong. I am by no means going to say that FF was the best comic movie to have come out, or even necessarily a good movie. But a lot of the accusations people have been levelling against it seem fairly baseless.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

one interesting thing i didn't consider was Disney channel has been replaying all the cartoons Marvel made. I enjoy seeing Iron Man and X Men again.. Considering they had some of the best opening theme music for their time period. I want them on DVD bad now... So maybe Disney will distribute those better than Marvel did I hope.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

Pixar Interested in Making Marvel's Ant-Man Movie
Hey, now here's some promising news about the Disney/Marvel merger! According to EW, Pixar has expressed interest to their Disney masters that they would like to make Marvel's Ant-Man movie
I got my Entertainment Weekly Magazine today, and there it was on page 23...

Marvel has thousands of characters to feed Disney's film, TV, and animation business (Pixar is said to already be eyeballing an Ant-Man movie). As Iron Man proved, they don't need to be iconic to become blockbusters.

Ant-Man does seem right down Pixar's alley, although audiences might be a little tired of all the tiny characters they've already done (Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo). Let's just hope that they don't rehash another Disney movie and call it Honey, I Shrunk Myself.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/ant-man/news/?a=9800
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

"As Iron Man proved, they don't need to be iconic to become blockbusters."

:eyebrow: Iron Man not an icon?

Blade would've probably been a better example. Or does that movie not count as "blockbuster"?
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

S_Windell wrote: :eyebrow: Iron Man not an icon?

Blade would've probably been a better example. Or does that movie not count as "blockbuster"?
To comic fans, maybe he is. To the average Joe on the street, he probably isn't. He's certainly not in the same league as Spiderman or Wolverine. I mean, the only reason I was vaguely aware of him was because I post on this board and we have plenty of comic fans here. Of course, after playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I know quite a bit more about the world of Marvel, but that's neither here nor there.

But yeah, Blade would have been a better example. I wonder how many people actually realise that he was originally a comic character though?

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

IIRC the first Blade film went out of its way to avoid mentioning the word "comic" in the publicity and possibly even the credits as well. Between that and the second one X-Men happened and suddenly being basing films on comics was a OK thing so they weren't so circumspect next time out.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Hitler's reaction to this news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkt5BB8JbwA
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Marvel was running out of money and into the ground. As we all know they were paying for the movies out of their pockets, and praying they were a hit and Hulk (however a great film) wasn't. Sure Iron man was a hit, but hulk left a big hole in their pocket that they could not fill back. I think this is a great thing, because if Disney had not bought them we may not have even had a chance to see Thor, Captian America, and the avengers on the big screen, and Marvel may have shut it's doors for good.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:As we all know they were paying for the movies out of their pockets, and praying they were a hit and Hulk (however a great film) wasn't.
Hulk more than made its money back. No, it wasn't an enormous blockbuster, but it was hardly a flop.

Marvel may have shut it's doors for good.
They didn't go under in the nineties when they actually declared bankruptcy, I doubt they'd do it now.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Hopefully when IDW finally hit the wall (as they seem intent on doing going by their general output and attitude) the TF rights will get picked back up by Marvel and we'll finally get some fiction to go alongside those AWESOME Mickey and Donald Transformers that are giving fanboys absolute fits.

How cool would that be? You know you want it.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:Marvel was running out of money and into the ground. As we all know they were paying for the movies out of their pockets, and praying they were a hit and Hulk (however a great film) wasn't. Sure Iron man was a hit, but hulk left a big hole in their pocket that they could not fill back. I think this is a great thing, because if Disney had not bought them we may not have even had a chance to see Thor, Captian America, and the avengers on the big screen, and Marvel may have shut it's doors for good.

Sounds like a DC fanboi.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."