[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:I just got the Toybox Takeover and Speedway expansions for $10 each at Best Buy. Haven't had a chance to try them out, but I really enjoyed Rise Against the Empire. (Except that Lando sounds like some dockworker from New Jersey for some reason.) I know that the individual characters don't do all that much to change the game, but I find myself frantically searching for Infinity toys on clearance now. Stupid excellent marketing ploy...
Yeah, isn't that a kicker? I've been wanting a Kylo Ren, but a new character really doesn't change much at all for the game. But that hasn't dropped my level of want.

The nice thing is, these ones seem to go on sale quite regularly. Almost to the point where I don't think I would pay full price for any of it. It's just a matter of a week or two before one of the big stores has something on sale.
Hound wrote:I took a day and played the first 3 Super Mario Bros. Good platforming fun.

I started playing A Link to the Past. It's so beautiful. How is it so many Super Nintendo games are the some of the best looking games ever?
I don't know, but you're absolutely right. The SNES and Genesis era was one of my favorite times, though I grew up right in the NES era. Those games have a beautiful pixel art style, that easily stands the test of time. Matter of fact, I played Streets of Rage 2 3D on my 3DS last night, and was simply blown away by the graphics and music of that time period. :up:
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

ganon578 wrote: The nice thing is, these ones seem to go on sale quite regularly. Almost to the point where I don't think I would pay full price for any of it. It's just a matter of a week or two before one of the big stores has something on sale.
I've noticed the same thing. And the sales are usually pretty significant, like 25-60% regularly. I picked up Tinkerbell for $3. FOR MY WIFE.

I also just did a quick ebay search, and they're bountiful and cheap there too. Sadly, though, many people are selling used ones for more than a new one in the store would cost.

(And I, too, find myself really, really wanting the Kylo Ren figure.)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I bought the Kylo Ren figure back in January and i noticed that Kylo's light saber blade has a kind of wavy/unstable look to it compared to say Obi Wan's light saber blade or Vader's blade, which is a nice bit of detail.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I downloaded Infinity for the iPad, but I have no clue if you can use the figures with it.

As for games.....

Metroid Fusion - When I first got a 3DS, it was at the tail end of the whole Nintendo apologizing to everybody who bought a 3DS at the original launch price thing, and their apology was to offer a bunch of different games for free. One of the games I'd wanted to get was Metroid Fusion(I missed it back in the GBA days), but I never found it in the eShop. I gather the only way you could get it was if Nintendo gave you a code. In fact, I'm still waiting for the 3DS eShop to have GBA games or even much in the way of SNES games. Fortunately, the local retro game store got a copy in, and it's a lot of fun. Although I think it'd look better on the 3DS screen.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sades

Post by Sades »

I beat Happy Home Designer.

Well, I designed all the town buildings and then the credits rolled by, anyway. I can still design homes for random animals, though by now I'm so conditioned to fall asleep while playing my DS that I barely get finished fiddling with the wallpaper/flooring/windows/door before I start to nod off.

Also, Nintendo Badge Arcade. Nintendo, you bastard. I so want to spend money on this useless shit, the roughly one-to-four (if you're lucky) free plays a day is not enough.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Heinrad wrote:I downloaded Infinity for the iPad, but I have no clue if you can use the figures with it.
I haven't done any of the mobile Infinity, but I think the codes that come on the cards are used to unlock characters in that. Or I could be completely wrong since I've never once entered any of my codes. Maybe I should get around to that some day.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I just wish you could play some of the scenarios the console version of the game has. Not the full blown versions, certainly, the app is free after all.

So, curiousity. i'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not. See, there's a game in the 3DS eShop called Petit Novel Series: Harvest December, and I have no clue what you're supposed to do in it. Is it just a book, or is it a Choose Your Own Adventure/Find Your Fate kind of thing?

It opens with our hero, Masaki, reflecting over the events of the past, starting with his arrival in town and ending with him being thoroughly thrashed by a local goddess named Shiro and his girlfriend, Yuki. Moral? If walking in the woods, do not promise to marry a nymph-like forest creature, only to be kind of blasé the next day at school when a girl goes, "You're my boyfriend now", don't be surprised if a trip to the E.R. Is in you're future. Or possibly the morgue. Those girls did not look happy.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Last night I finished off Rise Against the Empire on Infinity 3.0. It was quite a fun (if a bit short) trip through the Original Trilogy. The only part that I found odd was flying through the Death Star at the end. There are some parts that I feel aren't quite large enough for the Falcon to fly around, so you just end up smashing into posts. Maybe it's just the locked camera angle. There's infinite lives anyways, so it really doesn't matter. Just an irk.

Not sure if I will start up The Force Awakens tonight or not. I might take a break from the game for a bit - I've got Twilight Princess HD on the way when it releases in two weeks, so I'd rather not be in the middle of a different adventure when I get it in my hands.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Heinrad wrote:So, curiousity. i'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not. See, there's a game in the 3DS eShop called Petit Novel Series: Harvest December, and I have no clue what you're supposed to do in it. Is it just a book, or is it a Choose Your Own Adventure/Find Your Fate kind of thing?
Reviews say it's a book. http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/peti ... t-december

Weird/interesting, not something I'd have expected to see on the 3DS.

I'm kind of bored with HHD, but I feel like I need something to play in the evenings. I might try starting a new town on New Leaf. Maybe. :/
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I just downloaded an Emulator after not having bothered since about 2003. These days they have a single emulator that does all consoles (or rather it contains the kernels or whatever, to run all these machines).

Anyway, amongst other things I downloaded Castlevania for the NES, and holy crap its good! I've only ever seen this game in videos on-line, but playing it is so cool. I downloaded a whole load of NES games (after looking at a 'Best of Nintendo' page), and its such a brilliant console. I love it.

If I could buy one console today out of all consoles I might well go for a NES. I grew up with a Commodore 64, and that was really nice, but its games cannot compare to what's on NES for sheer quality!

Now I want to buy a USB NES controller to play Castlevania properly (and I've downloaded Castlevania 2 and 3, and Super Castlevania 4 and Castlevania X for SNES).

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeah, some of those older games are definitely still quality entertainment. Recently played Rampage and it was good fun.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The NES has a massive library and a large amount of classic titles. You can't go wrong there.

As for current systems, I was surprised to see my local Walmart selling single-issue Darth Vader PS4 Controllers. So I picked one up. I really love the deco, even though the front and grips are glossy black. The fingerprints will bug me a bit, as I prefer a matte finish, but hey, Vader's armor was glossy, so it fits the bill.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, watching AVGN's video's of Castlevania and Zelda are nothing compared to actually playing them yourself.

Now I want to work my way through these two (Hound recently completed Zelda didn't he?) and Link to the Past on SNES, which I never got very far on when I originally owned it on the Super Nintendo. I love the Castlevania soundtrack too, its so funky!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I on one hand feel guilty playing so many video games via emulators but then I look at my empty wallet and just feel grateful that there are ways I can play these old games that I either loved when I was little or never got a chance to play back then. There's no way I'd ever be able to afford to buy all these games and consoles.

That said, I just downloaded a Gameboy Color emulator and am playing Pokemon Yellow. This game is amazing. I've never been a big fan of Pokemon n general but I ended up watching a review on Youtube a few days ago and decided to give it a try and I'm having so much fun just wandering around catching Pokemon let alone playing through the story.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Pokemon Sun and Moon have me anticipating them in excitement.

Although the trailer for them is extremely unrealistic of actual pokemon players or the culture :lol:

Via the nintendo online thingie I was able to get a gift demo of second bravenly. Writing it down correctly? The RPG for 3DS.

Decent fun although it looks designed for a far younger age group than mine :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:That said, I just downloaded a Gameboy Color emulator and am playing Pokemon Yellow.
I'm amazed at how much of this game I've retained. I really am a Pokemon Master.

helping him play it has made me want to dig up the Pokemon game I have kicking around somewhere. It's been so long that I don't even remember which game it is, it's Silver or something. One of the later ones.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I picked up Shadow of Mordor for $15 the other day, and I'm really liking it. A bit of a learning curve when you start, and I'm still not certain I'm doing things right, but I've only put in about an hour.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars - Starter Pack (PS3)
Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars: Rebel Against The Empire Play Set
Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars: The Force Awakens Play Set

Bought these from Target as they were all half price. I would have bought the Starter Pack on PS4, to keep it in line with the previous game, but unfortunately the PS3 version was the best I could do.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

My pre-ordered copy of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD came in on Friday, as expected. Since I pre-ordered through GameStop, I also got my hands on a 'soundtrack selection' CD that features some orchestra pieces but mostly music ripped straight from the game. Not a huge deal, but a nice little freebie for pre-ordering.

The game came packed with the Wolf Link/Midna amiibo too. Great detail and paint apps. The game itself is as expected: good looking but not overly stunning. The HD presentation is crisp and textures are much better, but you can still tell it's a 10 year old game just by the facial animations. It still holds up really well, and it's a joy to revisit. Managed to slog my way through the first (infamously slow) few hours on Friday night, and I've made it to the Forest Temple. :)