[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Been playing Mega Man 6 on the 3DS. The game is fun, as every 8-bit Mega Man is, with weird Robot Masters and not-quite-as-catchy music like in 1-3. So far I have found it's pretty much like every other one I have enjoyed - fun through the 8 Robot Masters, not quite as enjoyable when you get to the ending levels. The boss of the first Mr. X level has been pretty frustrating so far.

Other than that I have just been dabbling here and there. A little God of War 2 (getting burned out on those titles), Injustice Battle modes, and I started up Arkham City again, just for fun. Nothing is really grabbing me at the moment, and I'm not in the mood to start something hour-heavy like Kingdoms of Amalur or Skyrim.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Candy Crush Saga. SO MUCH CANDY CRUSH. I'm on the last level of Starcraft 2 WoL, but got frustrated a week ago and haven't gone back for lack of time. Casual gaming like Candy Crush and Words with Friends have been the staple of late.

I never liked the Mega Man games. I'm not entirely sure why. I always found them kind of boring yet frustrating. I couldn't tell you which ones I played, but I didn't care for any of them.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I've just started playing Halo 4 (£5 at CEX!). This is my first Halo game as I only got a 360 a couple weeks ago. Its not bad but I was expecting a bit more as it was the legendary Halo. I was then told that there was a developer change and that I should get Reach instead so I might just pick that up next week.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I keep restarting Minecraft trying to get the best possible mix of biomes at my spawn site... must include grassland, Sheep, Cows, Pigs, Horses, and a village. I give each new game an in-game day, and if I don't like the way things go down I delete my game and start again.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I always need a village to rule over.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I get lonely if I don't have one to look after.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Yeah, an army of golems just ain't the same.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Picked up Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered. Great game that I never recall finishing back in the day. Make me want to go back and play FF6, 7, and Chrono Trigger again.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Finished the majority of the dlcs for Dragon Age Origins, I'm just having some trouble with the Darkspawn Chronicles trophies.
So I'm going to take a break from that game and move on to Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars.
Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought The Lego Movie on X360 and it came with an exclusive Wild West Emmett and a Wild West DLC code for the game.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I'm going to go out and buy Animal Crossing: New Leaf, most likely.

I have trouble falling asleep, and nothing puts me to sleep better than some Animal Crossing.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Picked up some new games, mostly for iPad.

GTA: Vice City 10th Anniversary Edition - As much fun as I'm having with GTA:O, my favorite is still my second. It would have been first, but I had the demo for the original GTA on my computer. And comparing this to the original GTA ... It just doesn't. It's still a lot of fun, although the iOS interface is a little odd. I might even beat it this time around, as long as that glitch with the race near the end of the game didn't get ported over.

Shin Megami Tensei - Apparently the first game in an immensely popular series of JRPGs, according to Atlus, the company that's been localizing the series for North American release, if not release worldwide. The game originally came out for the Game Boy Advance. You apparently gather allies and fight demons using a computer program.

Device 6 - An interactive book that is interesting. And kind of strange.

Star Wars Assualt Team - To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. Since Disney now owns Star Wars lock, stock, and astromech droids, I wasn't sure how this game, and the inevitable micro transactions I'd need to do if I wanted to get anywhere would work. I'm happy to say I have yet to spend a penny on this game, and it's fun to boot.

Boom Beach - Mindless 'assault enemy bases and fortify your own' game.

Star Trek Trexels - One of my favorite iOS games is a game called Star Command. It's tounge in cheek, it's fun to play. Trexels is built along the same lines, and they even got George Takei to do narration and some voice over work. You'd think this would make for a fun game, and it is kind of fun. The action scenes are nicely done, with you having to gather cubes that pop up on the screen to fuel your attack and defense, be it diplomatic, medical, or combative. Unfortunately, if you want to do anything quick, you have to spend real money. There's also the fact that it borrows Star Command's build rooms in your ship to do things(I'm sure there are other games like this, but the only one I know of is Star Command), but while Star Command uses a floor plan with a set number of buildable rooms based on the size of the ship, I've got a Constitution class heavy cruiser, and room for lots of rooms. If your a serious Trekkie, and you love TOS(and some odd TNG overlap doesn't bother you), and you're infinitely patient, give the game a shot.

On the PS3 front, I got Deadpool. This game is warped. And lots of fun.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

According to the percentage, I'm about 50-60% of the way through Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Still been dabbling. God of War 2 gets played here and there, but I have mostly been playing Vanquish on the 360.

It's a fun 3rd person shooter - kind of like Gears of War on speed & caffeine. The game is super arcade-y and definitely has a lot of Japanese flair to it. The music and style remind me of Ikaruga.

The mech suit gives some pretty awesome 'bullet time' abilities, and boosting around the battlefield is good fun. I'm still getting used to remembering the abilities in the heat of battle, as well as not overheating the suit. I hear the campaign should take ~6 hours to complete, so I'm glad I picked this one up used for $9 instead of full price years ago.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Picked up Vanquish, used for $9. Very fun 3rd person shooter with a lot of arcade style. Well worth the money.

Also took advantage of an XBLA sale and re-purchased Halo: Reach and Halo Wars for $10 & $5, respectively. I traded the discs in about a year ago thinking I didn't want to play them anymore, but couldn't pass up that price for a digital copy that doesn't take up shelf space. Sure enough, I booted up Reach and forgot how fun that game can be. Immediately tinkered with my Spartan, and enjoyed some of the menu music.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

It's never too late, right? Just got FoC cheap off eBay and enjoy playing it now with my very little spare time. Man, even Optimus can die so fast when surrounded by two cons with shotgun.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Writing about what I've been playing recently has made me think about how much I actually enjoy what I have been playing.

For instance, in recent months I have been cranking through the entire God of War series thanks to a sale Gamestop had a while back. However, after playing through the first few (chronologically) I'm really starting to see how these games are exactly the same. I'm not really enjoying what I am doing, just playing through for story - right now I am on God of War 2, which I am finding quite boring. Hopefully #3 will make it all worth it. Matter of fact, I played through Ghost of Sparta on EASY just to blast through it.

Some games I have played recently have been really enjoyable, start to finish. Darksiders 2 comes to mind, as well as Halo: Reach & Halo 4, Diablo III, and Skyward Sword. But several things I have played in recent memory just haven't struck a chord with me - I just play them to have something to play. Right now I am playing Vanquish (good fun) but I doubt it will leave a lasting impression on me. The same goes for Skyrim; highly rated, but every time I start it, I just can't get into it, though I really loved playing Oblivion.

Sometimes this makes me yearn for the simpler gaming times, like playing Mario on the NES over and over A) because it may be the only game I had at the time, and B) because it's just so damn FUN to play through over and over. I even played the original TMNT on NES even though the game is brutal in spots, as was Battletoads.

Anyways, just ranting, didn't want to start a new thread just for this.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Oooh I get that feeling. Maybe you should try something totally different, like Sim City or Starcraft? On the other side there are games that can seem relatively simple but are really complex AND would help scratch that Nintendo itch, my choices would be DS titles Soul Bubbles and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.

Previous generation; I went through a PS2, Gamecube and X-box. I gave away the Gamecube to a relative following the X-box purchase but felt a hollowness long after.

I don't know if its the same now as I only have a Wii, not 360 or PS3... but that was a conscious choice. I spent the previous generation chasing after the pretty games with the massive worlds and came away unsatisfied because they were not real. I disliked the long treks, the polygon houses in the streets you simply can't interact with or the simple concept stretched out overlong. With the Nintendo games (not all of them) they seemed to say "Bugger that, lets concentrate on focused gameplay".

I totally agree with you on the NES Mario thought, its all about fun.

Again, I know I'm repeating myself, but the most fun I've ever had with games has come from the PC, then Nintendo (SNES, Gamecube, DS & Wii), and then the others. If money were no object I'd be a PC gamer all the way. Love the variety, the modding, the style. I always enjoyed every PC game I had... as in they never felt like a hollow experience part-way through. They were solid.

The only game to do that for me on X-Box was Halo.

I play Super Mario Allstars reasonably often, and its so brilliantly tight. A few perfect jumps and reaching the end of a level in a minute or two is worth so much more of my time than another fetch quest in a drawn out game that feels like cut & paste scenery.

I love the idea, and fear the playing of Mass Effect. It sounds like the ultimate space opera, I've never ever played it and now I think it can probably never match the concept of it in my head.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Been playing Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars, I'm about 95% finished with just a few space and ground battles left. I also need to figure out why the minikit achievement hasn't unlocked even though I have all the minikits and all the characters unlocked.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Looks like PlayStation Network is having a 99 cent sale this weekend! More than 30 games. I picked up Tokyo Jungle and The World Gone Sour. I'm debating possibly Braid, Jurassic Park, or Back to the Future, but I've got such a backlog already that even at 99 cents I'm afraid I'd be wasting money.