[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by HeavyArms »

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection & Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Figured I'd buy a couple of the collections to build my Street Fighter collection.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Does anyone else play the latest Pokemon and would be willing to do some trading so I can evolve some Pokemon?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 pm
Have tried time and again to get in to Skyrim but it's just not for me. I've found, as I've gotten older, that the bigger and more open-world a game is the less likely I am to enjoy it. Spider-man was the only game that broke the mould in that run but I can probably point to the license on that as being the reason.
That exact thing has happened to me with JRPGs, by and large just don't have the patience for them any more. But the easier to just go off and piss about in the sandbox type games are still fun for me. I never have much interest in the main storyline or whatever. In Skyrim I'm mostly just building my house and trying to make it look nice, then finding a dungeon to play as a short, discrete level. Skyrim took a few hours for me to get into, if it wasn't so well regarded by everyone I doubt I'd have stuck with it. That said, any Bethesda game with me eventually just turns into a hoarding simulator, because what if I need 20 of that item somewhere down the road for some dumb side quest?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I only found that I could play Skyrim via Switch. At least it was portable, I could play for short chunks, and also long chunks here and there. Good game, IMO, but I likely won't play a second time.

I also bought Overcooked! on the Switch last week on a good sale. Mostly because my kids played it at a friend's house and I figured it would be a good family title. We haven't played it yet though.

I was on vacation the last couple weeks, and managed to spend some time with Hunting Simulator. Comparing it to theHunter: Call of the Wild, HS is inferior. Don't get me wrong, it's a way better game than the old Cabela's titles, but consistently frustrating. I don't want the game to be easy, but the campaign missions can be a chore. For instance, should I need to hunt a coyote, they will be particularly scarce. Deer however, will be plentiful and totally oblivious to my position, smell, sight, etc. The coyotes will always be on the opposite side of a hill, so a LOT of creeping is involved to get into proper position. They will have heightened senses, and if you get within 200 yards they spook easily regardless of wind direction or level of sight detection. Next mission? Hunt a deer. And now coyotes are everywhere and oblivious with deer behind hills ready to run when a stick cracks 300 yards out. Needless to say, there's a lot of tweaking that could be done on the AI system. Additionally, unlocking new items appears to be semi-random. They just unlock as you go along in the campaign. In theHunter, you gain money for each mission completed and each animal harvest. Then you have the options to buy whatever you like when you have the cash and have completed any level requirements; this is a far better system.

But hey, at least I can hunt on the go. So that's a win.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I played Ark with Warp a few weeks back, We built a thatch hut and then watched it get humped by a Diplodocus. Fun times!
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

So, I decided to try my new SNES controller. My SNES won't start. I tried different games, different controllers. Nothing. I think the last time I played it was around Labor Day (early Sept) when I got a new TV and was making sure I had everything hooked up correctly. Donkey Kong Country had lost all its save files since I hadn't played it in so long, the battery had died. That game was one of several I tried, with no luck.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Sades wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:00 am I played Ark with Warp a few weeks back, We built a thatch hut and then watched it get humped by a Diplodocus. Fun times!
DODO BIRDS WITH PARTY HATS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Tantrum wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:20 pm So, I decided to try my new SNES controller. My SNES won't start. I tried different games, different controllers. Nothing.
:(

I feel your pain. My SNES stopped working a few years ago. It'll boot up, or at least it would the last time I tried it, but the controller ports are dead. Regardless of which game or which controller I plug in, it won't acknowledge any inputs. I can emulate all my games on my laptop, of course, but it's not the same.
Sades

Post by Sades »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:12 am
DODO BIRDS WITH PARTY HATS!
You haven't been chased and eaten by a t-rex yet. We need to play again! \o/
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition - Added to the Street Fighter collection.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

WWE Raw - Bought this to add to my wrestling game collection, but for whatever reason it does not appear to work on my Xbox 360 although they should be compatible.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:20 pm So, I decided to try my new SNES controller. My SNES won't start. I tried different games, different controllers. Nothing. I think the last time I played it was around Labor Day (early Sept) when I got a new TV and was making sure I had everything hooked up correctly. Donkey Kong Country had lost all its save files since I hadn't played it in so long, the battery had died. That game was one of several I tried, with no luck.
Warcry wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pmI feel your pain. My SNES stopped working a few years ago. It'll boot up, or at least it would the last time I tried it, but the controller ports are dead. Regardless of which game or which controller I plug in, it won't acknowledge any inputs. I can emulate all my games on my laptop, of course, but it's not the same.
That's a bummer for both of you. A couple years ago I picked up a RetroN 5 since I've found it more and more difficult to hook up the older systems to modern TV's. On the upside, some of these 'repro' systems have HDMI out ports, and can handle multiple systems' cartridges. The one I have plays NES, Famicom, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Gameboy, GBC, and GBA games. It also has controller ports along the sides for each console. The downside is that, because of the design, games can have lag. The RetroN 5 for instance isn't a replicate of the SNES technology, so it 'dumps' the cartridge info to the system then it goes through local emulation. I've noticed a touch of lag on games like Super Mario World, where those split seconds can be detrimental. The bonus to the design is that you can have save states for each game, and don't have to rely on a cart's ancient batteries.

Other manufacturers like Retro-Bit have dedicated systems (like their Super ReTRIO) that use actual hardware instead of emulation, so there won't be lag and it's compatible with all the cartridges. However, you'll be stuck with battery saves.

On an acquisition note, theHunter just released some new DLC: Silver Ridge Peaks. I love this map. It's based on the Rocky Mountain region of Colorado, which is where I currently hunt in real life. Mule deer, plains bison, mountain lions, and bears make return appearances, but this map added Rocky Mountain elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, and turkeys. I've been trying to do some of the missions, but keep getting happily distracted with hunting animals. I'm scared to think of the hours I have put into this game by this point.
StoneCold Skywarp

angloconvoy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:28 am what if I need 20 of that item somewhere down the road for some dumb side quest?
My approach when playing stardew valley. Have to have at least one of everything, just in case
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition, unfortunately without the manual and box, seems like acquiring the game complete is very difficult.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition, unfortunately without the manual and box, seems like acquiring the game complete is very difficult.

Also, I been playing the Avengers beta and while I do like it I feel like the character models could have been more refined.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

The Last of Us Part II which is IMHO pretty good game, maybe not a great game, but a damn good game.
Sades

Post by Sades »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm
My approach when playing stardew valley. Have to have at least one of everything, just in case
Ten. Ten of everything. Because sometimes you need more than one turnip and it's fall and you'll have to wait a WHOLE DAMN IN-GAME YEAR for another opportunity. :o
StoneCold Skywarp

Sades wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:17 am Ten. Ten of everything. Because sometimes you need more than one turnip and it's fall and you'll have to wait a WHOLE DAMN IN-GAME YEAR for another opportunity. :o
I always have nightmares about the great turnip famine of year 3...
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Received WWF Smackdown 1 from eBay.

Finished WWE 2k15's MyCareer mode and found it kind of boring and a bit tedious, with most of the story being told via social media messages and finding very little variety in story lines and match types.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Super Mario 3D All-Stars!