[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:So since I didn't have quite enough backlogged games that I had forgotten about, I added a couple more this morning. Humble Bundle has Borderlands and Borderlands 2 with a bunch of DLC that I picked up for $6 total. Didn't feel the need to jump up to $15 for some of the other DLC and a 25% off 2K merchandise coupon. I don't know if I'll like Borderlands or not, but I figured for $6 it was worth a shot. From all the previews, I assume these will have to be played when the kids are not around.
I played a little Borderlands 2 on the PS3. Definitely not for when kids are around.

I also swung by my local shop the other day (I also have amnesia when it comes to my game backlog :) ) and picked up Star Fox 64 3D for the 3DS. Never played a Star Fox title before, and I wanted to see how interested I will be come Star Fox Zero on the Wii U. Only 2 levels in, and it's a pretty fun arcade-type space shooter. :up:

Oh, and I also took advantage of an E3 digital sale on the eShop and picked up Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) on the Wii U. Haven't played it yet, but I played that one years ago when I owned a GBA. Still befuddled that Nintendo hasn't put these ones out on the 3DS as downloads, but eh, whatever.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Notabot wrote:So since I didn't have quite enough backlogged games that I had forgotten about, I added a couple more this morning. Humble Bundle has Borderlands and Borderlands 2 with a bunch of DLC that I picked up for $6 total. Didn't feel the need to jump up to $15 for some of the other DLC and a 25% off 2K merchandise coupon. I don't know if I'll like Borderlands or not, but I figured for $6 it was worth a shot. From all the previews, I assume these will have to be played when the kids are not around.
Oh very mich so. Despite its overall cartoonish tone, borderlands is very veey violent and full of adult humour. Personally I adore borderlands 2, its an excellent shooter rpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

4 hours of download from Steam later, I got into Borderlands. Fun, but I'm clearly no good at it. I've died multiple times just in skag packs, much less against bosses.

Yes, I'm a prude, but I do wish more games would allow you to turn off the uber violence and language. There's just no reason for the baddies to randomly (and repeatedly) shout, "You gonna squeal before I f*** ya?"
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Notabot wrote:4 hours of download from Steam later, I got into Borderlands. Fun, but I'm clearly no good at it. I've died multiple times just in skag packs, much less against bosses.

Yes, I'm a prude, but I do wish more games would allow you to turn off the uber violence and language. There's just no reason for the baddies to randomly (and repeatedly) shout, "You gonna squeal before I f*** ya?"
I get the complaint, the dialogue does get really annoying as you go on and the ability to turn it off would ve nice. The violence I don't mind so much because it feels cartoony what with the bloud clouds from headshots or how suicide bandits leave perfectly intact feet and hands when they blow up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Picked up Star Wars: The Clone Wars for the GameCube yesterday for $6. Joy!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I've found myself rolling my eyes more than once at the random cursing from enemies in some of the first-person shooters I've played over the last few years. I think it's because FPSes are big with the teenage demographic so developers toss in vulgarity to make the kids think it's "mature". I've also wished for a way to switch it off from time to time, generally to no avail.

I've finished Assassin's Creed 3, or at least the main story mode -- I don't enjoy it nearly enough to try for 100% completion like I did on some of the Ezio games. My overall impression didn't change much from the beginning -- the story was interesting but the game itself was unfinished and clunky. Most of the side-missions just "happen" without even a quick cutscene to introduce why you're doing them, and the game does a very poor job of explaining how the crafting and trading mini-games work. Also, the voice acting on the Iroquois characters was especially bad even by video game standards -- all of the dialogue recorded in Kanien’kéha was flat and inflectionless as if the actors were reading off of a cue card and didn't understand what they were actually saying (which they probably were, since only a few thousand people in the world are still fluent in the language).

Connor's actor was terrible in English as well, since he sounded angry no matter what emotion the character was conveying visually. It's not helped by Connor being written as a tool with unrealistic ideals, either. Or the fact that he actively makes the world around him worse, fails to accomplish any of his goals beyond petty revenge and kills his own (far more likeable and sympathetic) father for daring to try and make him grow up.

The biggest up-side of this game is that it looks like the rest of the series will be free of that whiny bitch Desmond...

AC: Liberation is up next. Even though the 360 version of the game is branded as "HD", the graphics look like something from the early 2000s so I'm not entirely sure what they've actually done to upgrade the visuals over the Vita version. It looks alright, though. And even though I've barely started Aveline is already an infinitely more likeable protagonist than Connor.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

ganon578 wrote: Let me know what you think of the graphics when you get it all up and running. I can't really trust one of my friends who is a huge PS supporter - he has a 4K TV so anything he sees on it is going to be skewed towards greatness. If I could somehow manage to trade my PS3 for a good deal towards a PS4, that might just do it!
DCU Online and Warframe finally finished downloading, as well as Shadow Warrior(haven't tried it yet, tho- it just finished), and I have to say, the graphics are very nice. I've played DCU and Warframe on the computer, and the graphics look even better here than on the computer. Admittedly, that's probably more due to my computer not being a heavy duty gaming machine(I had to crank the resolution on Warframe way down, and DCU never ran very smoothly), and everything is very fluid.

My only complaint is more with DCU. It wouldn't let me switch my old account over, so I had to rebuy my light powers. Which means I have to go and redo the Scarecrow mission. Again. It wouldn't be so bad, but I just did it, and the two guards you have to face before you fight him were a tougher fight than he was. You can switch on your light powers at level 10, but you have to buy in-game money to do so.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I'm about 79% through Saints Row 2 and I've also bought the limited edition of Batman: Arkham Knight on PS4, which came with a surprisingly big statue of Batman on top of a Gotham City diorama that lights up.
Destruction is my specialty
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Replayed Borderlands 2 and Portal 2 over the last few days abd gotta admit they both habe decent replayability, especially with the commentary in Portal 2.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

As much as I loved the original version of Shadow Warrior, the remake comes closer than anything to knocking Wolfenstein 3D off it's position as my favorite FPS. I sat down to take a look at it, then I realized it was 2 hours later and I didn't want to stop playing.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So it turns out I'm a much better sniper than siren in Borderlands. Beat the first boss without even losing any health. Only died once because I stupidly wandered into several packs of bird-things and dog-things at the same time.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So I'm having a bit of a Batman birthday this year. A friend of mine got me a 75 years of Batman poster, I got myself Batman: Arkham Knight(which I am enjoying the hell out of), and GameStop got me a Arkham Knight Harley Quinn watch and an Arkham Knight "Red Hood" t-shirt.

Well, okay, I turned points in to get them, but I spent nothing.

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Having finished Saints Row 2, I've started on Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja 3 and I suspect that it will not take nearly as long to finish than Saints Row.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Picked up a couple DS games to play on my 3DS while traveling this year: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Jedi Alliance, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars Republic Heroes. The former is much better than the latter, though both end up being tapping fests on the touch screen. Production value on the first one is really good, where Republic Heroes could have used some polish. I only paid $4 each for them, so it's a nice little ride for a cheap cost.

Otherwise, I haven't been playing much of anything lately, life just seems to be too busy to do so.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Having just gotten the platinum for Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja 3 (I'll do the DLC later on), I'm going to start WWE 2K14.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Finished Jedi Alliance. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. I had read good reviews practically everywhere on it, but I felt it was more of a 'meh'. Not bad, but I wouldn't recommend hunting it down. Now it will be time to start Republic Heroes. What worries me is the reviews I have read make RH out to be the worse of the two. Could be in for a snoozer.

In my continuing effort to play old Star Wars games I missed out on, I picked up Revenge of the Sith for the original Xbox to play on my 360. It was only $6, so if it's a bit boring I didn't burn much cash. :)

EDIT: Played the first 3-4 levels of ROTS. It's surprisingly fun! Most critic reviews were in the ~5 range, but most fan reviews were more in the 7-8 range. So far, I fall into the latter category. The game looks really good for an old Xbox title, the sounds and music are good, and the combat is quite enjoyable, for a brawler. :up:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Started on WWE 2K14 and done the first 2 chapters of story mode.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Out on a shopping trip with my son this weekend, and swung by Gamestop. Picked up Battlefront: Elite Squadron for the DS for $4. It's pretty good, if a little linear. Good button masher. The levels are sliced up into sections, bringing a little variety into the mix. The single level I played through didn't get dull at any point, as each section only took a couple minutes each. In one single level I was on foot a few times, smattered with riding a BARC speeder through a rocky valley on Tatooine, as well as flying just outside the atmosphere in an ARC-170 fighter.

Also, tried to fight Count Dooku twice in ROTS. Got my ass kicked both times. Apparently I need to work on my skills.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

ganon578 wrote:Out on a shopping trip with my son this weekend, and swung by Gamestop. Picked up Battlefront: Elite Squadron for the DS for $4. It's pretty good, if a little linear. Good button masher. The levels are sliced up into sections, bringing a little variety into the mix. The single level I played through didn't get dull at any point, as each section only took a couple minutes each. In one single level I was on foot a few times, smattered with riding a BARC speeder through a rocky valley on Tatooine, as well as flying just outside the atmosphere in an ARC-170 fighter.

Also, tried to fight Count Dooku twice in ROTS. Got my ass kicked both times. Apparently I need to work on my skills.
Learning all the combos helps
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Selkadoom wrote:Learning all the combos helps
:up: Yep. I paid a bit more attention to blocking and countering last night. It helped immensely and I was able to get past Dooku. Before I was being a little too 'Anakin' and rushing in, lightsabers-a-blazin'.

The other interesting parts of the game are how the levels/events slightly differ from the movie. The game did come out about 10 days before the movie though, so I understand the shifts without revealing the exact moments of the movie.