[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Bethesda is supposed to have a panel revealing as much this (?) weekend at some convention or other. We'll find out lots more then I suppose.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Clay wrote:Bethesda is supposed to have a panel revealing as much this (?) weekend at some convention or other. We'll find out lots more then I suppose.
I'm curious how much of Obsidian was attached if any at all to 4, as I love seeing the original creators of the series keeping up the work on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

About 55% through the game, including finishing some of the activities and diversions.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Finally picked up a PS4. Quite like it so far, but it's taking forever to download DCU Online.......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Heinrad wrote:Finally picked up a PS4.
Had that on my to-do list for a while, still not sure when I'm gonna get to it. Maybe if the timing works out, that new Transformers game will be the first game I get for it
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I lucked out in getting mine. The local used game store got one in(the first one they'd seen. They've seen 7 or 8 XBox Ones), and they let me pay for it a bit at a time. I'm really looking forward to Arkham Knight.

When's the next Transformers game coming out?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Heinrad wrote:I lucked out in getting mine. The local used game store got one in(the first one they'd seen. They've seen 7 or 8 XBox Ones), and they let me pay for it a bit at a time. I'm really looking forward to Arkham Knight.

When's the next Transformers game coming out?
Yeah, Arkham Knight looks like good stuff, but I'm in no rush on that one. Might end up waiting for the inevitable Game of the Year version or whatever with all the extra junk packed in, since they seem to do that with that series.

Trailers and stuff just says Fall, but one of the pre-order listings says Sept. 22. There be a thread up in News with info and videos.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Unicron wrote:Yeah, Arkham Knight looks like good stuff, but I'm in no rush on that one. Might end up waiting for the inevitable Game of the Year version or whatever with all the extra junk packed in, since they seem to do that with that series.

Trailers and stuff just says Fall, but one of the pre-order listings says Sept. 22. There be a thread up in News with info and videos.
Good to hear. So is it unanimous that Sony won E3?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Selkadoom wrote:Good to hear. So is it unanimous that Sony won E3?
Hah. I saw a lot of banter in the forums over on IGN on who won E3 - typical fanboy stuff over there. I think the editors/writers at that site in particular (probably other sites too) thought Sony had a stronger conference than Microsoft. One writer I saw gave Microsoft a '9' while Sony earned a '10'. Both good, but Sony put on a better show.

To me it's never been about who 'won' E3 (can you really 'win' an Expo?) but who has the more interesting content coming out. I don't own a PS4 or XBOne, but I do have a Wii U. While Nintendo didn't do anything flashy, it was nice to see the new Star Fox, see some Super Mario Maker action, and see some more footage of Xenoblade. From my perspective, Nintendo was more interesting - and the return of the Nintendo World Championships was cool.

That said, it was also interesting to see Xbox go for backwards compatibility (though the current 360 list is confounding to say the least) but otherwise Microsoft didn't do anything unique. Everyone knows Halo 5 is coming. Sony seemed to pander really well to the fans though I personally wasn't struck by anything they offered.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

ganon578 wrote:Hah. I saw a lot of banter in the forums over on IGN on who won E3 - typical fanboy stuff over there. I think the editors/writers at that site in particular (probably other sites too) thought Sony had a stronger conference than Microsoft. One writer I saw gave Microsoft a '9' while Sony earned a '10'. Both good, but Sony put on a better show.

To me it's never been about who 'won' E3 (can you really 'win' an Expo?) but who has the more interesting content coming out. I don't own a PS4 or XBOne, but I do have a Wii U. While Nintendo didn't do anything flashy, it was nice to see the new Star Fox, see some Super Mario Maker action, and see some more footage of Xenoblade. From my perspective, Nintendo was more interesting - and the return of the Nintendo World Championships was cool.

That said, it was also interesting to see Xbox go for backwards compatibility (though the current 360 list is confounding to say the least) but otherwise Microsoft didn't do anything unique. Everyone knows Halo 5 is coming. Sony seemed to pander really well to the fans though I personally wasn't struck by anything they offered.
I'll concede to you on the pandering but at the same time Sony pushed out 3 very long awaited titles, and while its newer offerings were a tad... Dull, though I did like Horizon, Sony won to me because we has
D a demo crash live with Uncharted 4. Nintendo was the most entertaining though bevause they've embraced their own insanity with Reggie.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Picked up the Ultimate Edition of Injustice: Gods Among Us for the PS4, as well as downloading Lone Survivor and the first part of Life is Strange.

Thinking about getting Shadow Warrior. Anybody heard anything about it?

Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Heinrad wrote:Picked up the Ultimate Edition of Injustice: Gods Among Us for the PS4, as well as downloading Lone Survivor and the first part of Life is Strange.

Thinking about getting Shadow Warrior. Anybody heard anything about it?
The new one? Oh god yes get it, its goddamn amazing. He sings The Touch in the opening sequence. Its what Duke Nukem: Forever wanted to be, both a great tribute and reboot of the series it was based on and its great.

A good lp of the games opening [youtube]https://youtu.be/04LsJhnqZxM[/youtube]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Selkadoom wrote:I'll concede to you on the pandering but at the same time Sony pushed out 3 very long awaited titles, and while its newer offerings were a tad... Dull, though I did like Horizon, Sony won to me because we has
D a demo crash live with Uncharted 4. Nintendo was the most entertaining though bevause they've embraced their own insanity with Reggie.
I caught a tiny bit about Uncharted 4 news, but I didn't really pay attention. I haven't played the other 3, so my interest was low - I really want to try them out on the PS3 but just haven't had the time. Truthfully I really need to go back and check out what Sony had to say at E3, since at some point I will eventually get a PS4 or XBone and really need to make an informed decision. I'm trying to bide my time until the one with the better software library (that interests me) appears.

Do you have a PS4? Thoughts? The people I know that have one say that they are great. But those are also people that are typically slanted to the Sony side of things. I personally know almost no one that owns a One.

And yes, the Reggie puppet was fantastically odd. :up:
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

ganon578 wrote:I caught a tiny bit about Uncharted 4 news, but I didn't really pay attention. I haven't played the other 3, so my interest was low - I really want to try them out on the PS3 but just haven't had the time. Truthfully I really need to go back and check out what Sony had to say at E3, since at some point I will eventually get a PS4 or XBone and really need to make an informed decision. I'm trying to bide my time until the one with the better software library (that interests me) appears.

Do you have a PS4? Thoughts? The people I know that have one say that they are great. But those are also people that are typically slanted to the Sony side of things. I personally know almost no one that owns a One.

And yes, the Reggie puppet was fantastically odd. :up:
At the moment I lack either the Xbone or the Ps4, but If its anything like its predecessor in terms of reliability grab it. And for a breif rundown of Sonys E3 it was Last Guardian, FF7 remake, and Shenmue3, along with some new lps and CoD hopping over to PS4 as its favored system. Than uncharted had its demo crash (Twas beautiful)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

ganon578 wrote:Do you have a PS4? Thoughts? The people I know that have one say that they are great. But those are also people that are typically slanted to the Sony side of things. I personally know almost no one that owns a One.
I've had mine for about a week and a half now. Is it all whiz-bang wonderful, great, etc, etc? Is it truly living up to the hype?

In all honesty...... so far, it's a bit 'M'eh'. Graphically, it doesn't seem to be a big step up from the PS3, but as my current collection of PS4 games is three titles, two of which are available for the PS3 as well, and I think the other one might be(but as Lone Survivor is done in the retro 8-Bit style, it's a bit moot). The main reason I got it when I did was the opportunity was there. Waiting for a later time may not have worked out. Once Warframe finishes downloading, and DCU Online, I may have a better idea on how wonderful the Graphics are.

XMB-wise, it looks great, and the dynamic theme image is a lot more fluid than the one on my PS3.

My suggestion would be this: If you get the opportunity where you can get a deal on one, and/or there's a game coming out for it you really want, go for it. The PS4 is a good system.

As for the XBox One, one of my coworkers really wants to get one because he's a big XBox fan. As for which is the better system..... The best I can say is this: after talking with the guy who owns the game store, he's had far more people trade in XBox Ones than PS4s. Why this is could be for any reason.

Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just finished the main story line of Torchlight II. The final battles were really disappointing. No story development, no epic confrontation with the Alchemist or Nether Lord, just walk into an arena and start wailing. And when you finish, a cheesy little "Good job saving the world there, Sport." I'm glad they have the mapworks, but honestly I'll be losing interest in that before long.

On an interesting side not, I just found out that my GOG account has Fallout I and II. I don't remember if I bought them (doubtful) or if they were a free bonus for something (more likely), but I might have to give them a try. I know I've got some other forgotten titles hanging out in my Humble Bundle account too. Happy surprises!
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Notabot wrote:I just finished the main story line of Torchlight II. The final battles were really disappointing. No story development, no epic confrontation with the Alchemist or Nether Lord, just walk into an arena and start wailing. And when you finish, a cheesy little "Good job saving the world there, Sport." I'm glad they have the mapworks, but honestly I'll be losing interest in that before long.

On an interesting side not, I just found out that my GOG account has Fallout I and II. I don't remember if I bought them (doubtful) or if they were a free bonus for something (more likely), but I might have to give them a try. I know I've got some other forgotten titles hanging out in my Humble Bundle account too. Happy surprises!
If you eanna have a more fun experiance from an RP standpoint (And dont mind missing lotsa sidequests "Set your intelligence around 2. All your dialogue is changed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Heinrad wrote:I've had mine for about a week and a half now. Is it all whiz-bang wonderful, great, etc, etc? Is it truly living up to the hype?

In all honesty...... so far, it's a bit 'M'eh'. Graphically, it doesn't seem to be a big step up from the PS3, but as my current collection of PS4 games is three titles, two of which are available for the PS3 as well, and I think the other one might be(but as Lone Survivor is done in the retro 8-Bit style, it's a bit moot). The main reason I got it when I did was the opportunity was there. Waiting for a later time may not have worked out. Once Warframe finishes downloading, and DCU Online, I may have a better idea on how wonderful the Graphics are.

XMB-wise, it looks great, and the dynamic theme image is a lot more fluid than the one on my PS3.

My suggestion would be this: If you get the opportunity where you can get a deal on one, and/or there's a game coming out for it you really want, go for it. The PS4 is a good system.

As for the XBox One, one of my coworkers really wants to get one because he's a big XBox fan. As for which is the better system..... The best I can say is this: after talking with the guy who owns the game store, he's had far more people trade in XBox Ones than PS4s. Why this is could be for any reason.
Thanks for the honest info.

I've heard here and there that used game stores have more XB Ones hanging around than PS4's as well. I honestly think the only things that would push me towards a One are Halo (which I could just as well keep my 360 since I already own all of them) and the controller (which I could also just keep my 360 for). I never liked the PS3 controller, and 3rd party options I've tried have been just mediocre. I did, however, get my hands on the newer Dualshock, and I must say that thing has significantly improved. I just don't think Halo alone can be that good to turn my head. I also hear the XB controllers still use AA batteries. Aren't we in 2015? I also understand the XB utilizes a massive power brick on the plug. Also something that could be fixed in 2015.

The only other game that will be a system clincher for me is Battlefront - which is also on the PS4. Let me know what you think of the graphics when you get it all up and running. I can't really trust one of my friends who is a huge PS supporter - he has a 4K TV so anything he sees on it is going to be skewed towards greatness. If I could somehow manage to trade my PS3 for a good deal towards a PS4, that might just do it!
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I just got myself a ps4!! Been saving hard for a few months to build up a decent collection!!

I got the Ltd edition arkham knight console (batman looks insanely good btw) I've added destiny, diablo 3, gta 5, nfs rivals, project cars, watch dogs and witcher 3 to my collection already by trading in old stuff I don't use any more.

If anyone wants to add me it's stonecoldskywarp (avatar is ken masters from sf2)
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So since I didn't have quite enough backlogged games that I had forgotten about, I added a couple more this morning. Humble Bundle has Borderlands and Borderlands 2 with a bunch of DLC that I picked up for $6 total. Didn't feel the need to jump up to $15 for some of the other DLC and a 25% off 2K merchandise coupon. I don't know if I'll like Borderlands or not, but I figured for $6 it was worth a shot. From all the previews, I assume these will have to be played when the kids are not around.