[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Whew! It took a couple months, but after chipping away at it, Majora's Mask 3D is complete. Now my 3DS can rest for a bit. Used quite a bit of my own memory and intuition, a little bit of help from guides, and I finished the game at 100% (or whatever the Zelda equivalent of 100% is). Very fun and very enjoyable.

It's amazing how easy Majora is to beat if you obtain the Fierce Deity Mask. I know that's really the point, and definitely a cool reward for getting all the other masks, it just doesn't take much effort in the final battle. But, Link just looks soooo cool in that mask!!! At some point I'll give it a go the hard way.

I think my system clock says I spent ~44 hours on this go-around of MM3D. Just 2 hours shy of the time I put into OoT so far! My top three games on my 3DS in 'Total Time Played' are 1) Ocarina of Time, 2) Majora's Mask, 3) A Link Between Worlds, all in the 40+ hours range. 4th on the list? Super Mario 3D Land. At 24 hours. I guess I like Zelda.

Oh, and (at least in the US) Pokemon Rumble World is available and free on the 3DS. Downloaded it last night but didn't play. If it's anything along the lines of Shuffle, it should be enjoyable in bits and addictive.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

ganon578 wrote: Oh, and (at least in the US) Pokemon Rumble World is available and free on the 3DS.
My children thank you for bringing that to my attention.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Having finished the story mode on Lego Batman 2, I'm now done pretty much everything on the North Island and a few characters from the other two islands, I have five more levels to complete in free play mode and the majority of the collectibles on the other two islands.
Destruction is my specialty
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:My children thank you for bringing that to my attention.
They are very welcome! Can't beat a free game! Do they also know about Pokemon Shuffle? The other free Pokemon game?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

;)
They do now!

I've been working through the Back to the Future games that were ridiculously cheap a few weeks ago, and I'm glad they were ridiculously cheap. Decent story, good voice acting mostly, but the controls are kind of wonky and unpredictable, the lighting effects seem kind of helter-skelter, and all the characters look like creepy claymation puppets somehow. The lip motion doesn't line up with the conversations, the graphics are jumpy and glitchy (and even missing sometimes), and everyone walks like they've just had back surgery. But, for all that, it's still pretty fun. And it's not a deeply involving game, so if I get bored with it, I don't think I'll feel the need to slog through to see how it ends.

And Humble Bundle had Torchlight 2 available, so picked that and a bunch of other games up for $7. I enjoyed Torchlight 1, so I'm looking forward to playing 2.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:;)They do now!
Excellent!
Notabot wrote:And Humble Bundle had Torchlight 2 available, so picked that and a bunch of other games up for $7. I enjoyed Torchlight 1, so I'm looking forward to playing 2.
Torchlight 2... on PC? I really enjoyed Torchlight 1 as well, just on my 360. I don't think the sequel came out on the 360, so I haven't made a puchase. I haven't been a PC gamer in a loooong time and I prefer a console.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought a newish copy of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (X360) to replace an older copy that didn't work.

Also picked up Mortal Kombat X Kollector's Edition (PS4) at EB Games.

And I also 100% finished Lego Batman 2.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

In honor of Star Wars Celebration this year, I stopped by my local used game store and picked up a copy of Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike. Used to own it looooong ago, so it's nice to get it back. Played a few missions just for nostagia. Holds up really well.

Also been poking around on my 360 hard drive since I am way behind on my Games with Gold downloads. Been able to clean out some space and play some games I haven't tried yet. Tomb Raider is fantastic! Only played about 30 mins or so, but it really got me hooked into the atmosphere.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Guess what everyone... Candy Crush DOES have an end. It is currently level 830, and I just defeated it tonight!!!

Why you no stand up and clap?

Possibly even sadder post-script: I had actually forgotten that I purchased Torchlight 2 until I saw Ganon's quote of my post. Maybe I should go get some sunshine every now and then.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Anyone here play Angry Birds Epic? Piggy McCool isn't cutting it for me in dungeons.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:Guess what everyone... Candy Crush DOES have an end. It is currently level 830, and I just defeated it tonight!!!

Possibly even sadder post-script: I had actually forgotten that I purchased Torchlight 2 until I saw Ganon's quote of my post. Maybe I should go get some sunshine every now and then.
Wow, you do need some fresh air and sunshine!!! (Right after you go play TL2).
Notabot wrote:Anyone here play Angry Birds Epic? Piggy McCool isn't cutting it for me in dungeons.
Nope. I've only played some Angry Birds Star Wars, and never longer than when I'm just killing time getting my oil changed in the truck or whatever.

I've been playing Mario Kart 8 occasionally when I get a half-hour here or there. I'm very tempted to pick up the two DLC packs this weekend, if only for Link on an Epona-cycle and for the SNES version of Rainbow Road. Plus, it's only $12 for the bundle DLC pack, netting 6 new racers, 16 new tracks, 8 new karts, and a few more custimizables. That's really good by today's DLC standards!!!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've finished my first play-through of Spider-Man: Edge Of Time and now I need to complete the challenges, fully upgrade and beat it on hard.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Purchased the combined DLC Packs 1 & 2 for Mario Kart 8. SUPER fun! The new racers & karts are great, and the new sets of tracks are phenomenal. I think my favorite cup out of the bunch is the Triforce Cup (not because I'm a Zelda nut) since the tracks are just a blast to race. Next in line would be the Egg Cup that has the Yoshi track from GCN Double Dash - you basically drift through the whole track! :clap:

Anyways, super fun stuff for DLC, which I typically don't purchase. I think I'm gonna have to bite on Mewtwo for Smash tomorrow though :D
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Well, I bit on Mewtwo... which would normally cost $4, but I spent $10 since he came bundled with all the other Mii Fighters suits and hats. Couldn't pass up the option to dress my Mii characters as X, Protoman, or Link w/ Majora's Mask. Strictly aesthetic, but fun nonetheless.

Also picked up Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga on the 360 and ordered a 2nd controller so my wife and I can play together. It's been a long time since we played that game on the couch together :D

Gotta swing by Walmart and pick up the controller on my way home today. Oddly, if you buy a Microsoft wireless 360 controller in store, it costs me $50. If I order it online and do store pickup (which it was available the day of purchase) it only cost $36.

BTW, there are some huge Star Wars games sales on the 360, XBO, PS3, and PS4. And a few new additions to the PS3 have been made - Bounty Hunter and Starfighter were made available yesterday, both on sale for $7.50 each. I may have to buy Starfighter. Never played it but it looks great! Played Bounty Hunter on the GameCube way back when, and while fun at times, I can remember being significantly frustrated from time to time.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Gotten all silvers on Spider: Edge Of Time with some golds, and it would require perfectionism to obtain the remainder, so I've decided to knock off hard mode and be done with it.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Took advantage of the PSN Star Wars sale and picked up Starfighter. Also traded in a couple old games and used my Gamestop rewards for a no-cost copy of The Force Unleashed for the 360 and the Jedi Temple Mission pack. The former I have never played before, so it's cool to get a crack at a PS2 game I missed out on. The latter I played only on the Wii, so this is a good retread in HD with a traditional controller.

Didn't get to play much this past weekend, but I did have a little fun with the above mentioned titles, Mariokart 8, and a couple missions of Rebel Strike on the GameCube. Damn that last game is good!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound greeted me as I was waking this morning with "Happy Star Wars Day" (I assume because he read my post in the Chat thread), so literally the first thing I said moments after waking up was "Oh, **** that bullshit". BUT I guess if there is one good thing to come out of this sort of thing (asides from the joy and enthusiasm of individuals so inclined or charity events, of course), it'd be some form of personal gain. I'm gonna have to look at that sale later...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote:Hound greeted me as I was waking this morning with "Happy Star Wars Day" (I assume because he read my post in the Chat thread), so literally the first thing I said moments after waking up was "Oh, **** that bullshit". BUT I guess if there is one good thing to come out of this sort of thing (asides from the joy and enthusiasm of individuals so inclined or charity events, of course), it'd be some form of personal gain. I'm gonna have to look at that sale later...
Get anything?

Had a few hours of game time last night after the kiddos went to bed, so I played a plethora of things, for 15-30 minutes a piece. It was kinda fun to jump around from game to game.

A little 'retro' action started off the night with SW: Starfighter on the PS3 (PS2), followed by a game that's quite dear to me - Jedi Outcast on the Wii (Gamecube). Man, that game makes me wish LucasArts did something better with the previous generation of consoles (Force Unleashed I & II are a solid mediocre). Outcast is super fun, but definitely noticeable sub par PC port compared to today's standards. Still good fun though, interesting story, and superb soundtrack.

Mariokart 8 kicked things off for the newer games - damn I need to polish my racing skills to get 3 stars on the 150 cc Cups! Followed that up with a little Smash Bros. on All-Star mode. Did well with Mewtwo, but couldn't do it with Zero Suit Samus. Finished up the night with a couple missions of Hyrule Warriors Adventure Mode.

Overall a pretty fun gaming night, and I'm glad I have the option of several fun games to play at any time. :D
Sades

Post by Sades »

Nah, I pretty much completely forgot. Whoopsie.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Finished Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and now I've started on Saints Row 2, where I'm about 9% through.