[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Downloaded the crysis 3 beta yesterday and im really impressed, i didnt enjoy crysis 2s multiplayer so wasnt expecting much but if its ever on sale its a no brainer. Also bought the new black ops 2 map pack today, but as of this post its still downloading.

An update on game of thrones, i know the game is bad and i hate turn based combat but for some strange reason i LOVE this game. so much so i even bought season 1 of the show on bluray. Any rpg fan that can deal with a few bad actors should give it a look.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Downloaded Mortal Kombat (free for PS+ members at the mo). If I'd paid full price for this and was still expected to shell out the same again for access to the full roster I'd be so unhappy. Still, it's fine for a little piss about, so I guess if you have PS+ or if you see the complete (sorry, komplete) edition in a bargain bin, you could do worse.
Of course, just saying that makes me want to rant about companies intentionally sell incomplete products at stupidly high prices. Saints Row 3 is another fine example of a game I've avoided, simply because access to the full game all in would come to around a hundred quid. Eventually there will be a more reasonably priced complete edition, which I may buy, if I can get the taste of cynicism out of my mouth.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I feel the same way about Skylanders. A friend of ours is totally into it and gave us an extra portal/beginner set that he had received for Christmas. Granted, it's marketing genius, especially because some of the special items you find in the game are just commercials for other skylanders to buy. But the game really isn't that great. It's too complex for really little kids, but too tedious and boring for older kids and adults. Plus, it's crazy expensive. My friend has, at a conservative estimate, already sunk over $250 in it. I have informed our children that we will NOT be getting a complete set. Ever.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

But Skylanders at least has a physical component. Yeah, it's still a big marketting scam, but a lot of DLC in recent years is stuff that was slated to be included in the fulll game which was withheld, or even stuff which is on the full game at time of purchase, but requires extra money to access. Skylanders on the other hand is really no worse than Transformers.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Good point. My friend was showing me some of the new Skylanders that he had picked up and he had to take them out of his daughter's dollhouse because they were attending a wedding. :)

It does stink when games come with content on the disc but requiring payment, but as long as people keep paying for it, it'll keep happening.

Was it George Lucas a few years ago who was championing a video format that would erase itself after the allotted number of playbacks, emphasizing that consumers were paying for content rather than physical media? Or was that just a dream I had?
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Picked up Deadspace 3, havent tried the co-op cause none of my live friends are getting it, but singleplayer is far better than expected, Your alone no A.I. buddy and well it feels like dedspace should, so far the story is pretty good, but nowhere near ds2 quality. But if you loved the first two buy this for sure! You will not be dissatisfied.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Soooo bored of straight FPS at the moment, I totally gave up on Bioshock 2 for now (I think playing it so close to Borderlands was the mistake) but I've never played any Dead Space Games. I've heard good thing though. What is it that sets them apart?

Oh and as for Skylanders, my nephew's just gotten into them, so as it was his birthday last week, and I'm a bit of a rubbish uncle, I'm sending him a bunch as a late present. Some of the designs are actually pretty cool. I like the hump backed whale guy, so I'm sending that and a 3 pack of some mental guy wih a gold canon, the soda addict, and one of the spyro-alikes. Which is 40 quid right there. Not cheap (but I forgot to send his christmas present as well so fair enough).
Actually, I'll be honest, I've been out of England so long that everything seems ridiculously expensive there these days.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Just to add to my too-many-games dilemma, I picked up Borderlands 2 on the PS3. One of my buddies keeps raving about it, and it's a good game to be sure, I just don't have the time to hop online with people right now to enjoy it to the fullest.

I like the loot-drops, tons of different guns, and RPG elements. And the art style is fantastic. Like a moving comic book.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

What sets deadspace apart is how it blends action and horror, its weapons and upgrades and how it uses HUD. It doesnt feel slow or clunky like most horror games (resident evil 5), its pretty fast paced yet it doesn't lose any horror elements. One minute you can be falling 30'000ft through space narrowly avoiding huge chunks of old broken ships and the next minute youll be in a room and hear the sound of a monster you dread and stand there debating if you want to go in. And even though its fast paced it is in no means mindless shooting, Nor is it a cakewalk even on easy its challenging, and the death scenes, my god are they horrid. Not in the this game is bad way but in the thats the most nasty thing i have ever seen and idont want to look at it any longer kind of way. To sum deadspace as a series up, it is basically like you took john carpenters The Thing and blended it with Aliens but with guns from ratchet and clank. So far 2 is the best so if your gonna jump in maybe try there, 1 doesnt have much story and clarke doesn't even talk in it, plus theres a "previously on deadspace" video to tell you what happens in 1. I hope this helps you somehow.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

DL Planetside. Shit is free.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Interesting. One of my friends did say Dead Space was very scary. I'll give it a look when I have a chance then.

Downloaded Sleeping Dogs (PS plus again) today. Not played it yet but I've heard good things.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Downloaded Dust 514 on my PS3, havent played it yet cause when i started it up i got to set up all my gear and then the servers went offline for daily tweeks and changes. I really want to play an mmo but my pc is s*** and well what pther console mmos are there? Im so excited for defiance first true mmo on 360 sign me up. As for Dust its an mmo fps thats totally free to play, hopefully it'll give me a reason tp use my PS3 other than netflix and bluray movies.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

OH MY GREAT GOLLY GOOBER!!! The new extended cut of the Aliens colonial marines contact trailer is amazing! No matter what, if the game is good or bad this is the greatest thing to come out of the Alien franchise since 1986!!!! Plus its got the moon soundtrack on it, fits it perfectly! Watch it people! its 2 minutes of your life you wont regret wasting!

sorry for the double post just had to share this.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

So far I'm enjoying Sleeping Dogs. Nothing game changing but well executed good fun.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Quick update on deadspace 3, i beat it last nite and i have to say the ending and overall story was top notch! the last 3 hours of this game was just amazing. But on the whole deadspace 2 was better because of pacing and the story was way deeper.
Kungfu Dinobot

Post by Kungfu Dinobot »

I totally bought Assassin's Creed 2 liek 3-4 days ago. I was awesome, running around Italy killing D00ds, I feel so free:swirly:

BTW, are the other installments good?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Colonial Marines has been destroyed in most reviews and after seing actual gameplay that's turned up on YouTube I'm not surprised. Here's a commentary on the extended trailer that might interest you:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... al-Marines

Sleeping Dogs, o the other hand, is brilliant. There are a few places where you can see where it was an unfinished game that was bought up and released (in the side-stories, mostly, square obviously didn't want to take the extra financial risk of the development costs in fleshing those out) but it's one of the few sandox games where they remembered that a game is supposed to be fun, something GTA sacrificed for depth and realism. I'll grant it's a sacrifice many considered worthwhile, but give me Saints Row 2 or Sleeping Dogs any day.

Also picked up Mass Effect trilogy. Just getting into the first one now, finding combat a little clunky but it could just be that it's early days.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I wandered into Gamestation on Saturday and picked up 'Need for Speed: Underground 2' on Gamecube for 24p.

Old game and all that but how the hell did they come up with 24p as a price? People used to pay top whack for these games didn't they? Back when NFS was being churned out as often as FIFA...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I still love gamecube games. For me it was the tipping point between the more basic games I grew up with and the big budget spectacle of modern gaming. A lot of those games stand up so well and if have a gamecube and haven't played Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, have a word with yourself.

Oh, Mass Effect is great once you get a bit into it. Like KOTOR freed from all the Star Wars canon (don't get me wrong, KOTOR is great, but the creative freedom allows a nice sense of world-building and personal style). The combat isn't the greatest but once you get your fingers around the control system and approach it more as an RPG than FPS (that is, make your combat heavily powers based) it's a lot more fun.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Has anyone got a WiiU yet? If so, are the games registered to your Wii? i.e. does it kill second-hand purchases like they're saying the PS4 and Next-Box might, or is it completely safe to purchase a pre-owned WiiU title?