What was the last album you fell for on first listening?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer

What was the last album you fell for on first listening?

Post by Denyer »

Normally I find things take a while to bed in... but I've just acquired Who Killed Amanda Palmer after bouncing to it from something I was reading on Neil Gaiman, and it really is gloriously listenable.

I think a lot of it has to do with vocalists -- if I don't like that element of a piece of music, there's usually no saving it.

What makes an album instant win or instant miss for you?
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

The last cd I bought was P.O.D's Satellite because I heard the song Alive on a rock station and had to get the album that day.

I just recently heard Coldplay's Viva La Vida song for the first time and I like it.

Growing up, we listened to oldies (50's and 60s rock and roll). I also listened to early heavy metal and 70s (now called classic rock) with my uncles. In high school, I listened to heavy metal and gangsta rap. Now I really don't have much time to listen to the radio. Some of that is because when I worked as a manager for a record store, I learned that most of the music we listen to today is because of the music formula for success. I was forever disenfranchised.

When alternative was popular, I used to love the music, but hated the grunge look. I always wore Polo shirts and khakis and people would ask me why I dressed like a preppie. I would say "you can't be alternative if everyone is doing it." I like nice clothing but I do not like to buy cloths all of the time, so I buy something that will last me for a good while. I'm still wearing some shirts I have had for 10 years now.

So the music I like now usually consists of something that catches my ear. I love Nami Amuro's Come (7th Inuyasha closing song) because of the J-Pop sound and I love her voice. I think I like Coldplay's Viva La Vida because I felt like I was listening to a story when I heard the song. I think different elements of a song influence my tastes. I like the violins and piano and bass guitar. I like songs that tell a story in a song, and I like sad and depressing songs.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I've recently fallen in love with La Roux I just really love the electro-pop vibe and the style of it all. I have this thing where other than indie rock I really love a strong female lead like Robots in Disguise and Kate Nash.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Yuk. WHen I first heard about Kate Nash's fist album I actually fell out for because it was so terrible.

Arcade Fire Funeral is one which rings a bell. I heard it about 2 years after it first came out though. On anotehr note I recently fell in love with the Violent Femmes first album on a first listen about 2 decades after everybody else love did.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Savannahtron wrote:I learned that most of the music we listen to today is because of the music formula for success. I was forever disenfranchised.
Do like some populist stuff, and I don't see the point of knocking things just because they are, but not usually very fond of generic radio fare when I hear it. I think the net's changed things quite a lot -- I don't read music press apart from occasional issues of The Word, and don't usually listen to radio. It's no longer hassle to find things to preview if someone says they like them, the secondary market's never been easier to browse, and anyone can set up on myspace or youtube (crucially) without having to worry about bandwidth any more.

All that's required after that is a shit-filter. Blogs are quite good for that.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Agreed.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

After their last album pretty much ruined my view of them, I fell in love with Green Day's new CD "21st Century Breakdown" about halfway through it. While it's more in the vein of American Idiot as far as it being a concept album, the CD is much more mellowed out instead of the overly political shit they pumped out last time.

Just don't expect to find it in stores like Wal-Mart though, as due to Green Day not wanting to edit the CD for a non-explicit version (would have ruined most of the songs apparently) the stores refused to stock the CD... which sucks in a county with nothing BUT a Wal-Mart. Thank God for Demonoid.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

One album I can't wait for is the Arctic Monkeys third album because I really enjoyed the first two, both distinctly different yet both distinctly AM, very nice. I tend not to pay atention to listen to hype or music press about albums apart from finding out whos got what out and when, I've a couple of mates who are always buying albums so I'll usually get a taster from them.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Do/did people actually buy censored versions of albums, or are they just PR? The impression I get is that hypermarkets are reducing space for CDs. Aren't places like Amazon generally still cheaper anyway?

Other way around on Green Day, personally -- American Idiot grew on me, especially Homecoming (some of the rest, such as September Ends, was a bit generic) but very little stood out on 21st Century Breakdown.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

I wish I could think of something even slightly obscure; only "Highway 61 Revisited" and "London Calling" come to mind as having sold me from the first note.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I think mine was David Gray's 'White Ladder' album. Used to have it on in the background whilst playing playstation games round a mate's house.

That and Radiohead's 'Kid A' whilst playing Final Fantasy IX during hot summer nights.

[Edit] Oh, and Moby's 'Play'. It was summer 1999.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I'm a hard-core fan and when I heard the song "The Sound of Truth" by As I Lay Dying on the radio while riding in my friend's pick-up, we pulled over to the nearest music store and bought their newest album "An Ocean between Us."
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Fantasies by Metric.h
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The Gaslight Anthem "The '59 Sound". Immediately hooked me the moment I caught a snatch of it whilst browsing in HMV.

Probably yapped right into some hidden subconscious Springsteeny race memory type thing that I was conditioned with whilst growing up, as my sister had the exact same reaction when exposed to it separately. Glorious riffs, great energy, superb hooks and just an overall timeless feel to it... could have been made any point in the last thirty years.

Probably "the band genuinely want to be The Clash" is a good start for me. Possibly why I hate The Enemy with a fiery passion - they seem to want to be Simple Minds covering The Jam. Kill me.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

I guess for someone my age, when I see the word "album" I immediately think of an LP, which I still have many of. So if we are going to talk LP's, the official last one to really grab me was Iron Maiden's "7th son of a 7th son" back on its release in 1988.

If we are going to use "album" as a generality, then I would say the last three cd's I purchased had me good: Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown (heard a song on the radio, was immediately hooked, and this is coming from someone who intentionally never liked the group since their inception), U2's No Line on the Horizon (had me on the opening song), but most importantly, Metallica's Death Magnetic. I can't say enough about that disc- it was just everything I wanted and more.

Talking cassettes, the last really memorable cassette I had was Nine Inch Nail's Broken. Played that till it warped and that pretty much signified the end of cassettes and beginning of CD's for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

.357 String Band's album Fire And Hail. The first moment I heard it I knew it was an instant classic in my collection. The most original blend of bluegrass, punk, and 70's era country. They are one of only a handful of bands I've ever known of that completely defy conventions and achieve true originality. I've made copies of this album for a wide range of friends and co-workers, none of which like bluegrass or country, and everyone of them has fallen in love with it.

Other than that, pretty much every album Hank Williams III has released to date. Much for the same reasons, defying conventions and genre classification while maintaining a brilliant edge as a songwriter. Not too many people can go from a 1940's era country song to full on sludge-core metal and hardcore punk, while still using a fiddle and steel guitar to boot.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Zeeks wrote:...but most importantly, Metallica's Death Magnetic. I can't say enough about that disc- it was just everything I wanted and more.
Absolutely. That is a great album I enjoyed from the start.

The one that most recently comes to mind that I really dug from the first listen-through was The Way of the Fist by Five Finger Death Punch. I heard The Bleeding on XM radio while I still had it in my truck and decided to pick up the album. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

The only other one I can remember outside of that is The Sickness by Disturbed. Never heard any of it before I bought it, I only picked it up due to a co-worker's recommendation. That album is just wicked...