What are you afraid of?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rodimus Convoy

Post by Rodimus Convoy »

Y'know, I'm thinking and pondering and I'm coming up with zilch. I'm not afraid of the dark, or being alone, or dying, or heights. I'm not afraid of bugs, or inadequacy, or things that pop up rather suddenly on the computer. I have a slight aversion to crowds, but they don't terrify me. I honestly think I don't really care enough about anything to truly be afraid of losing it. Even if I lose something dear, there's always going to be something new to distract me... :|
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:There's probably a few people round here who'd be happy to test that theory.
That's what I love about this place - always somebody willing to help out.
Gareth Infinity

Post by Gareth Infinity »

Not quite as badly as I am afraid of having TVs off when I'm alone, I'm sometimes afraid of turning them on. When I was a little I had a nightmare in which I crawled up to the TV, switched it on, and there was this horrible, wart-covered goblin creature howling and laughing at me. I couldn't turn it off and I couldn't get away.

After that I started having the occasional dream about the goblin or similar creatures, often popping up on a screen somewhere. So of course when my older brother showed me one of those screamer things, I was already more-than-tired of the idea, and scared shitless.

Of all the people I know, I seem to have the biggest problem with these things. Most people seem to be able to just shake it off and even laugh about it, but every time I encounter one, even if I'm able to realize what it is and close it before it happens, I find myself pretty disturbed. I shake all over and come close to throwing up. For weeks after that I'm afraid not only to use the computer, but even to fall asleep. I'm haunted by the damn things.

Oh, and about TVs...I haven't seen "The Ring", but just having my brother-in-law describe the movie to me had me spooked for the longest time. I refuse to watch that movie.
Vatterott forbid I learn a thing.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

What am I afraid of? Um... Masks, the mock clown/Pierrot kind people hang on their walls totally freak me out, and I really don't like to be approached by anyone wearing a similar kind. Let me just say that I'm not afraid of clowns; as a child, they always made me sad, because they were different-looking and simple, and people were laughing at them.

Which leads me to... fear of being mocked as a failure. I've had that done to me several times, where a small mistake has been thrown in my face. This is coupled with the fear of asking for help, since that's many times resulted in refusal and/or mockery. Yeah, I don't like being laughed at when it's done to hurt. Probably links to the clown thing and the fact that I really hate practical jokes.

Don't like large gatherings. I feel lost in a crowd, especially if I don't know anyone near me. I am, despite what others may say, lacking in self-confidence and crowds bring it out. I get panicky in busy, enclosed spaces and head for the exit asap. New situations where I have nothing to latch onto for guidance also rattle me.

No terror of wasps, bees, ladybirds, spiders, stonking dragonflies etc. They're wonderful insects. But I hate cockroaches, particularly the way they go 'crack!' if you stand on one and then they ooze yellow while still squirming. Not too keen on woodlice, either.

Sympathise with Cliffy: I definitely fear breaking or losing my specs as, without them, the whole world fades away into very Impressionist colour washes, which is not helpful at work or attempting to cross a busy road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Clogs wrote: Which leads me to... fear of being mocked as a failure. I've had that done to me several times, where a small mistake has been thrown in my face. This is coupled with the fear of asking for help, since that's many times resulted in refusal and/or mockery. Yeah, I don't like being laughed at when it's done to hurt.
Big Huggles for that. Serious huggles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Energon Hot Shot

Post by Energon Hot Shot »

I'm afraid of large bugs. Especially when they fly. I'm not afraid of killing them, but I'm afraid of them landing or crawling on me. I hate those germ covered pests.

For some reason, I'm afraid of animal food. I can't stand the smell or the thought of it touching any part of me. I go to great lengths to avoid my dad when he's feeding our cats and dog and I make sure he washes his hands afterwards.

I'm afraid of heights, but only if I think I might fall.

My biggest fear/dread is of my dad dying. Not only will I lose my father and my best friend, but I might have to live with my mean, grouchy, rude, stingy mother who hates me and wants me to give up my hobbies and become a bored, brainwashed "Yes, Mama" zombie like my sister.
Steam: Hot Shot
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

[quote="Ackula"]...I want them all to outlive me...QUOTE]

Can be arranged... ;)
Come on and wind me up.
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

I used to be terrified of snakes, but I'm ok with them now...as long as I don't have to touch them.

I'm terrified of the unknown. Scared of change.

Say I want a new job because my current one is eating my soul. However its a job and I don't know how bad a new one could be, so I can't get myself to go and even apply.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Pain.
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

I've a few I'd like to share :

Losing my friends is one of my biggest fears, we've been through alot from nearly getting run over (the car was literally a metre away and speeding up the lil git.) to health problems of which a few have had been dangerously close to slipping away :( Not only that, we all dread the day if we ever lose contact after school it'd be horrible, losing people who made you who you are.

Failure and being constantly mocked of it gets me really down and yea I feel for ya Clogs :), I don't want to do bad in anything otherwise everyone will have a go at me, so I guess I could say I'm afraid of doing everything wrong and looking like a prat at it.

I'm actually quite afraid of growing fatter than I am now a rather petty fear i must admit ^^ but it keeps me on the treadmill. Adding to of course the bugs and insects and horrible clowns. Eurgh..A clown wanted to take me on stage and I could have sworn my heart stopped, I really don't like them for some reason.

With the bugs it's just the legs and the eyes wizzing round my head and I'm trying to dodge them. Arachnaphobia's came back to me after an unpleasant experience, I was showering, I turned around and this spider was hanging off a thread right in front of me , I don't think I've moved so fast before in my life whilst screaming like hell.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

What am I afraid of... let me just break out the list.
- Storms
- Water
- Heights (Oddly enough, not flying)
- Closed Spaces
- Nickelback
- Being shocked
- Bridges
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

secretcode wrote:-Nickelback
Good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

You think I'm kidding, but I'm dead serious. I can't stand their bland take on rock anymore, as each one of their songs sounds like the same thing over and over again.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Clay

Post by Clay »

secretcode wrote:You think I'm kidding, but I'm dead serious. I can't stand their bland take on rock anymore, as each one of their songs sounds like the same thing over and over again.
Oh, give Nickleback a break. They give the people with terrible taste in music something to listen to.
Civ

Post by Civ »

• Bees, wasps, and hornets ever since I was stung inside my ear by a bumblebee when I was either 3 or 4.
  • Losing another job.
  • Unemployment
  • Being unable to take care of my parents when they get to that age.
  • Fear itself
Oh well, at least I now learned that I have terrible taste in music since I do like some of Nickelback's stuff.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

secretcode wrote:You think I'm kidding, but I'm dead serious. I can't stand their bland take on rock anymore, as each one of their songs sounds like the same thing over and over again.
The worst band ever is Tokio Hotel. Their singer is a shim, and their music is absolutely atrocious.
Yes, the thing in the middle is a guy...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

How old are they?? They look about 5... Oh and I checked out a song, absolutely dreadful, "monsoon" or something, the singer in most of the song sounds like their mouth is full while singing, and then when it gets "heavy" they basically drown it out with the sound of thunder and lightening.... Real confidence in their music there.

......And then I look on wiki to discover they have actually been quite successful!!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

After giving this topic more thought I am actually afraid of something else. I'm afraid I'll never see my father again actually. It has been over 3 years now since I've seen him, and I'm afraid something will happen to him before I get to see him again, and I'd really like him to meet his granddaughter.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

secretcode wrote: - Bridges

I thought he was very good in Iron Man.
Brenyer91

Post by Brenyer91 »

Only two things scare the Brenyer91:

Nuclear war and carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands