Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Batman : Arkham City Talia Al Ghul.

My goodness, she's a foxy lady. Really nicely detailed figure with some decent articulation. And a sword. In common with the other figures from these Batman video game tie-ins, its the tertiary characters that have turned out best. Batman, Robin and Nightwing, plus some of the main villains like Joker, have all turned out like some hideous steroid experiment gone awry. Really pleased with her, and she looks awesome next to Harley Quinn and Catwoman. Puzzled by Forbidden Planet's odd approach to clearance sales though - same figure was reduced to both £13.99 & £12.99 ...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:Batman : Arkham City Talia Al Ghul.
Be careful! Word on the street is that she's pretty easy to break.

Is she any good, aside from looks? DC Collectables stuff has always looked good, but they've got bad history when it comes to QC, durability and poseability. The Arkham Origins Deathstroke I got a couple years ago is great, but all the other DCC stuff I've bought has been a disappointment in one way or another.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I will admit that the female characters I've bought from these Arkham series are difficult to stand. Only Harley Quinn came with a display stand. Durability wise, well, no major issues. I did manage to break Catwoman's leg, but I did knock her off the top off a bookcase, so she fell about 1.8m for that to happen.

I've not found them to be particularly fragile otherwise, but these aren't really for playing with in the same way Marvel's Legends toys are. They do feel very much like delicate collectibles. Truth be told, I don't play with these anyway, they just stand about looking cool. Posability is decent - but again, not spectacular. Swivel joints at the elbows and knees, movement at the knees, elbows, wrists, neck and hips. TBH, I don't mind the limited articulation. The sculpting, colours and detail are more than enough. I don't like hyper-articulated figures - a lot of Marvel's figures from the last 10 year have just looked awful because they are just a stack of ball joints.

...just remembered I also picked up a replacement Legendary Riders Danny Ketch Ghost Rider and was pleased to discover that this one doesn't have a right shoulder joint that's fused in an upright position, meaning my Ketch Rider can now put both hands on the handlebars of his bike. hooray!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote:a lot of Marvel's figures from the last 10 year have just looked awful because they are just a stack of ball joints.
There are a few pluses to that.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

ha! that's ace :) I just don't like when you stand them up and they're just a slightly slumped mess of slightly in the wrong place body parts.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:I will admit that the female characters I've bought from these Arkham series are difficult to stand. Only Harley Quinn came with a display stand. Durability wise, well, no major issues. I did manage to break Catwoman's leg, but I did knock her off the top off a bookcase, so she fell about 1.8m for that to happen.
It's not just an issue with the females. My Arkham Origins Firefly (the second one, after the first's leg snapped off right out of the package) can't stand worth shit, to the point where I eventually just gave up and tossed him a drawer after the fifth time he decided to randomly jump off the shelf.

My TAS Catwoman can't stand at all without her display stand, either, but I'm a bit more forgiving in that case because...well, the TAS character models barely even have feet.
Skyquake87 wrote:I've not found them to be particularly fragile otherwise, but these aren't really for playing with in the same way Marvel's Legends toys are. They do feel very much like delicate collectibles. Truth be told, I don't play with these anyway, they just stand about looking cool.
I've had trouble even with that -- some parts have just flat out sheared off for no good reason while I'm trying to pose the things, only for me to find out later that the joints were made out of super-brittle clear plastic. I tend to treat the things like they're made of glass now.
Denyer wrote:There are a few pluses to that.
Depends a lot on the character, too, I find. I don't mind if, say, Bane or the Penguin are a bit bricky. It's not like I'm going to want to put a character like that in a crazy pose anyway. But if someone like Spider-man or Catwoman aren't lithe enough to pull off the sort of pose that the characters routinely do on-screen/in comics, that's a bigger problem. There's definitely something of a tradeoff between articulation and appearance, though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote:ha! that's ace :) I just don't like when you stand them up and they're just a slightly slumped mess of slightly in the wrong place body parts.
Some of the sculpts are just bloody terrible, articulation or not.

http://marvellegends.net/Figures/HML01/EmmaFrost_0.htm
Hound

Post by Hound »

Hah! Emma has a man-face!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

And a man's body, by the looks of that. Jesus, that's even worse than the Spider-Woman figure I used to have.

Look at her, with her big grabby man hands. Even the '90s Spider-Woman repaint (the same figure in with a new paint job) looks terrible, proof that you can't polish a turd.
Attachments
6082.jpg
Sades

Post by Sades »

I am entertained by the fact that each and every one of those figures looks like it is wearing adult diapers.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

On a random trip to Target, found a bunch of toys under the 'World of Nintendo' banner. I have never seen these before! Seeing as I am a Zelda fanboy and they only had one on the shelf, I picked up Link from Skyward Sword :D:

I wasn't too impressed by the others, but Link is pretty good. All the 4" figures come with a 'mystery' accessory, which I pretty much guessed was Link's Hylian Shield since he was without it in the package. He's got oodles of articulation for a $9 figure - ankles, knees, hips waist, neck, shoulders, elbows, and wrists. And full range of motion on all the arm joints. Can't do too much with his legs since his tunic gets in the way. Otherwise, the design is good, detail is done well, and the figure is a blast for a cheap price. My only problem was the difficulty getting the shield on his arm, and the blue paint on the Master Sword hilt is already chipping. Otherwise he's solid. I understand there's a Samus out there too, and if I ever come across her, I might pick her up. :up:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

On Sunday I bought Disney Infinity 2.0 Figure - Nick Fury &
Disney Infinity 2.0 Figure - Iron Fist.

I received a package in the mail that contained Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes - Ultimate Spider-Man Playset.

And I picked up Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76031 The Hulk Buster Smash at Myer during the week.
Destruction is my specialty
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

After what at this point must be what, two years of procrastination, I finally bought the TMNT Classics Bepop and Rocksteady.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Now with more HGFC Shining Gundam kit.
Inaction Master

Post by Inaction Master »

Tetsuro wrote:After what at this point must be what, two years of procrastination, I finally bought the TMNT Classics Bepop and Rocksteady.
What a coincidence, as after what has been about three years of similar procrastination, I have bought me a 2012 Ninja Turtle figure.

'Cause Donatello does machines, you see.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76029 Iron Man vs. Ultron
Lego DC Super Heroes 76040 Brainiac Attack

Grabbed these two as they were on discount and also because 'Brainiac Attack' is a store exclusive and I wasn't sure how long it would be available.

Lego Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 79115 Turtle Van Takedown

Since the theme was unexpectedly bought out by Mega Bloks, I've have been trying to hunt down the TMNT sets on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I bought my first Power Rangers toy!

I was in B&M and they had the Super Samurai Megazord for £15 and it looked so daft I picked it up. I really like it! Its good and chunky and the plastics are great. The combined form is a hoot (if lacking much in the way of articulation) and I like the sort of origami beasts of the individual Zords. Good fun!
Sades

Post by Sades »

:up: The origami zords are cool.

The shows seem hit and miss, but the toys are growing on me. I think my new project is to chase these guys down eventually.

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Playset:
Grabbed it last Sunday while it was discount.

Lego Star Wars 8096 Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle:
Rather surprisingly easily won it on eBay.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Mega Bloks Call of Duty 6862 Platoon Patrol.