Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76058 Spider-Man: Ghost Rider Team-up.

Lego Nexo Knights 70326 The Black Knight Mech - Bought from Toys'R'Us using VIP discount.
Destruction is my specialty
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Picked up Figuarts Donatello. Not really much more to say beyond the comments on Leonardo. Comes with a pizza slice instead of a manhole cover.

Still expensive for what it is, even before gullible racists murdered my native currency, but at least I know I'm getting something good for my money. I'll be back for Raph and Mikey, because at this stage what's the point of not?
numbat

Post by numbat »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Still expensive for what it is, even before gullible racists murdered my native currency, but at least I know I'm getting something good for my money.
Hardly the most serious impact Brexit is having on me so far, but it does make things that little bit worse on top of everything else!

Dunno if I said before, but I got Mezco One:12 Collective Judge Dredd and his Lawmaster a while back. Absolutely stunning. Love the textures. Amazing detail. Nice lighting effects on the bike. Annoying sound effects on the bike. I totally prefer this scale to 1:6 HotToys.

Funny note - I watched a video review of the blue version (I went black, because, you know, Judges wear black uniforms) where the reviewer complained that the helmet didn't come off, and how lazy this was. Obviously he was not very familiar with Dredd!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Assume no-one needs a Juggernaut BAF left arm?

Usual observation of "what a waste of plastic..." for anyone not collecting sets but with this one there's probably as much in it as in the figure it came with.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Nexo Knights:
70333 Ultimate Robin - From Big W last weekend.
70334 Ultimate Beast Master - Earlier today while I was at a Toys'R'Us make and Take.
70335 Ultimate Lavaria - Earlier today while I was at a Toys'R'Us make and Take.
Shield Docking Station - A little buildable thing I made a the Toys'R'Us make and Take.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I was at one of those out of town retail barn complexes and picked up a couple of discounted things from Toytown;

Monster High Elissabat
She's really cool. Looks a little like Draculaura (in that she's pretty much identical). She's from a Ghoul Fair assortment, and comes with a little tray with some bats on sticks. She has a nice purple printed dress with swirly things on and some cute hot pink shoes. She's pretty awesome and I'm pretty stoked to find a MH Doll that hasn't been turned into a riot of colours so strong it makes my eyes vomit. Was a bit depressing to see them bringing out some horsey-based characters in a smaller scale to compete with My Little Pony. Not good, and the sign of a line that seems to be struggling :(

Lego Marvel Superheroes 76031 The Hulk Buster Smash
This is a suprisingly ace set. Nowhere near justifies the regular RRP of £29.99, but for £19.99? Yes please. The Hulk Buster mech is one of the better Mechs Lego have come out with since Exo-Force ended, with plenty of poseability and looking pretty hench. It does feel a bit smaller in hand than the box shot would have you believe, mainly because its quite squat when stood still. The Hulk breakout set-up isn't quite screen accurate, but as an extra play feature, its not too bad. Big selling point are the figures ; Iron Man in Mk43 armour, Ultron Prime, Scarlet Witch and the Hulk big fig make this a slightly more affordable way of picking up some key characters without having to shell out £100+ for one of Lego's enormo-sets or paying scalper prices on ebay.
Sades

Post by Sades »

A few impulse buys from a local thing this weekend; Pokemon plush (KO Magikarp and a Pokemon Center Arcanine), Road Rage, various minerals- a nice chunk of lab-grown Bismuth from New Mexico, a polished piece of Mammoth tusk from Siberia in a display box, blue-grey Chalcedony (Brazil), Amethyst necklace, and GoT "LEGO" minifigs. Also Snorlax keychain (not only is it cute, it keeps the toddler busy when waiting in line at the grocery store!)
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

4inchnel Rockman! Aka. Megaman.

Missed the boat on the old D-Arts Megaman, which did come with Rush and Met, but also suffered from QC issues. His articulation is a little weird, but he'll fit right in on my shelf of Action Figures From Video Games I've Never Played (But Mostly Actually Have Sort Of).
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Well, today was another 'Force Friday' for Star Wars collectors in the US with Rogue One coming this December. I swung into both of my local Walmart stores this morning, and made a few purchases. Oddly one store (the less traveled one) had quite a bit of setup in the toy section and a lot of stock. The other, more traveled one, was fairly empty all around.

Anyways, I picked up a TBS6 Death Trooper, a TBS6 Rey w/ BB-8 and Lightsaber, and a TBS3.75 CW Ahsoka. I'm really happy with all three, and the TBS6 figs rang up at a lovely $18.84 (previously $19.96). Ahsoka was down to $10.83 (previously $13.84).

The Death Trooper was really the lone figure I was after, so getting that one made me happy, the other two were just bonuses. He's all black like the ol' Shadow Troopers from the EU, and packing a ton of weaponry. Couldn't pass him up. I'll probably get the Scarif Stormtrooper later too. I'm such a sucker for Stormtrooper variants.

I think I got the only Ahsoka left (or stocked?) at both stores, so yay for that. She'll look amazing with my 3.75" realistic CW figures (Anakin, Rex, Wolffe, Doom, Thorn). I've really shifted away from the 3.75" figures, save for the cartoon-style Rebels figures and my small collection of realistic CW figures. Otherwise, I really prefer the 6" line.

Finally, the Rey I picked up was kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision. I was going to wait for an Episode VIII version, but for <$20 that's packed with her lightsaber and a 6" size BB-8? That's a really good deal. I know there's a big contingency of collectors that were peeved about her original release - no lightsaber for spoiler reasons - then reissued in very short stock with it a few months later. Smartly, Hasbro repacked her for this wave - she's a hot seller anyways.

I ultimately passed on an Unmasked Kylo Ren TBS6. I have the masked version, and while the lightsaber in the unmasked version is way better, I found it difficult to pay another ~$20 for a figure without a helmet. It would have been way cooler had they made one with both, much like ROTS Anakin Skywalker with the 'Anakin' and 'Vader' heads. I don't see him flying off the shelves - the same as the helmeted one - so I may pick him up later.

All around a solid haul for Force Friday. And I must say, last time there was a movie launch, the figures had piss-poor paint apps. This time around they all looked solid from what I saw.

EDIT: And on my way home, I swung by Target to see what they had: Pretty much everything (well, except the Ahsoka, that's a WM exclusive). But I was able to pick up the 5POA Sabine Wren to add to my cartoony Rebels collection. She's wonderfully painted, and was only $8. Pretty good hunting day!
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I picked up Rey and a death trooper too. There was a black series stormtrooper helmet that caught my eye, but it was too much.
Death troopers are pretty skinny. And almost as tall as Vader.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego City 60120 Volcano Starter Set.

Lego Star Wars 75139 Battle on Takodana - Bought last Tuesday on discount.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

burnitall wrote:I picked up Rey and a death trooper too. There was a black series stormtrooper helmet that caught my eye, but it was too much.
Death troopers are pretty skinny. And almost as tall as Vader.
Yeah, I think they look a little on the slim side as well. Though he still looks pretty sweet next to by Battlefront Shock Trooper and Vader too. Oddly, I don't have a regular Stormtrooper in the 6" line yet.

Walmart had a regular Stormtrooper helmet, which I agree, is too expensive. I did come across a collector on my trip who is part of the 501st - he said those helmets look and fit quite well, but the voice pickup is quite bad on them... even a bit scratchy on the mic. It's best you saved your money!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

At the risk (risk? ha!) of dragging this back to an "OMG look at the upcoming Marvel Legends figures!" thread, it's NYCC at the moment and OMG look at the upcoming Marvel Legends figures!

Shocker confirmed for the next Spidey wave. Along with the Sandman BAF which looks ****ing AMAZING.
http://marveltoynews.com/nycc-2016-marv ... r-sandman/

Shatterstar confirmed for the X-Men wave, and the other Wolverine figure is Old Man Logan, which makes a lot of sense given the current comics.
http://marveltoynews.com/nycc-2016-marv ... atterstar/

Plus we're getting Adam Warlock in the Guardians wave and also... er... Death's Head II. Which is, er, let's just say a surprise?
http://marveltoynews.com/nycc-2016-marv ... aths-head/
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

YAY QUILT MAN SHOCKER!

That Sandman looks amazing too, but I don't think I can justify that when the only figures I want from the wave are Symbiote Spidey and Shocker.

M'eh to Old Man Logan (unless the figure comes with an optional younger head). I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a classic blue-and-yellow Wolvie next year. And I have literally no idea who Shatterstar is, though maybe I'll have gotten far enough in my classic X-Men read-through to have gotten to know him by the time the figure comes out.

I wish they'd do a proper 6-inch traditional Death's Head one day. Not even just to put him with my Transformers (although I might do that) but just because the 80s design looks so good. Death's Head II looks like something that Ghost Rider or Hellboy should be fighting.
numbat

Post by numbat »

That Adam Warlock looks awesome.

While I enjoyed Starlin's recent trilogy (plus two filler) Thanos series which resurrected the character for the umpteenth time, I do far prefer the Abnett and Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy look compared with the classic form in which he has returned.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Warcry wrote:I wish they'd do a proper 6-inch traditional Death's Head one day. Not even just to put him with my Transformers (although I might do that) but just because the 80s design looks so good. Death's Head II looks like something that Ghost Rider or Hellboy should be fighting.
Seconded. Or at least used Liam Sharp's original design, where he's got a bit of armor and some Liefeld style pouches on the go. Also : droopy horns. Booo.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Nexo Knights 70336 Ultimate Axl &
Lego Nexo Knights 70339 Ultimate Flama - Bought from different places on different days but at the same discounted price.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I have no idea who Adam Warlock is. :(
Skyquake87 wrote:Seconded. Or at least used Liam Sharp's original design, where he's got a bit of armor and some Liefeld style pouches on the go. Also : droopy horns. Booo.
It would be nice if they went full Liefield when making toys of these 90s XTREEM era character designs. It'd make for some nice variety. Though they couldn't go too far in that direction before none of the figures would be able to stand, I guess.

For my part, I checked out my local Walmart after hearing that they'd gotten in some of the new waves. The X-wave was completely gone (though I own them all, so I don't really care) while the latest Spidey wave was all gone save for a solo Miles and he Strange wave (which I really didn't expect to see) was reduced to just Mordo and Voodoo. All of whom were keeping company with multiple Misty Knights and Cottonmouth's on the shelf.

(I'm starting to get an interesting, let's say, picture of my fellow local Marvel collectors. Though they at least had the decency to buy up all the Black Panthers that shipped with the handful of CW Caps and, uh...CommieCaps that were on the end cap...)

I was really hoping to find an Enchantress or a Silk, both of whom look great, but the Miles version of the Ultimate Spidey mold was a welcome find too.

I'm not super familiar with the character beyond the basics (replacement Spidey after Peter dies; fans and racists alike always make a big deal about him being black and forget that he's also half-Latino) but the costume looks great, so why not? Especially since I've heard good things about the mold, but don't really want Peter since I'm so happy with my ASM2 version of the classic suit.

It's definitely a really good figure, though one with definite pluses and minuses when I compare it to my other Spidey. The smaller body is nice but may actually be too short for the "teen boy" effect they're trying to get across. Unless the Ultimate Spideys are, like, thirteen and on steroids, they really should be taller and leaner than this. Most of the high school age boys I've known in my lifetime have grown into their full height first and looked like stringbeans for a couple years until they've filled out, rather than looking like miniature versions of their adult selves, muscles and all. I'd wager this is probably comic-accurate, though, since superhero artists aren't exactly known for their keen grasp of realistic anatomy. But really, when you stop and think about it the figure looks more like a 5'6" adult male that works out and eats right to get a realistic muscular physique than it does a growing boy.

The other place where this figure loses out to the old one is in the shoulders, where the lack of butterfly joints is really noticeable. But beyond that, it's really a very poseable figure. The range of motion in the joints it does have are impressive, and the hips especially. The alternate head and three different set of hands are both a nice touch, and this Spidey now has the mobility and the right hands to do a proper wall-crawling pose! It's just a shame that it comes at the cost of the joints needed for a proper web-slinging pose. Can't win 'em all, I suppose, but that one thing aside he beats most Legends figures in both the number and quality of his joints.

But overall, quite happy. The alternate costume looks great. The mold works more as a compliment to my existing Spidey than a potential replacement, though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Lego Ninjago 70588 Ninja Tumbler

This thing is brilliant. Its a big bouncing, burly tank of a thing dressed up as a Batmobile. Love it. So much so, that I care not a jot for the Minifigures and will be making some minor mods to make it a Batmobile for that white Batman figure I got with that forgettable Lego Green Lantern set. Or making it part of my Galaxy Squad line up. I'm not sure which yet. Maybe both! Anyway. Yes, great set. Good, fun build with some interesting techniques on the go. Nice action feature with the flip out weapons, and I like the detachable glider and the prison cell on the back. Comes with a Ninjago dude with that flattop hairdo I don't like and two cool looking snarling black and purple bad guy robot things.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:I have no idea who Adam Warlock is. :(
You don't actually read comics, do you? :(

Kidding though. Warlock is, er, a bit odd. Most of his continuity was done in the 70s when Jim Starlin was seemingly taking a ****load of acid.

He's basically an artificial human created to be the perfect being and lead this wacky cult, but he rebelled and decided to be a good person instead. But there's also the alternate(?) future version of him (the Magus) who is the evil cult leader and oh look I've gone cross-eyed.

He had the soul stone before they decided there were another five of them (and before they decided to give them all different names and throw the word infinity in there) and is basically Thanos' narrative opposite number/reluctant BFF depending on what the story is.

Recommended reading: "Avengers vs Thanos" TPB; The Infinity Gauntlet; Abnett & Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy.

[quot]For my part, I checked out my local Walmart after hearing that they'd gotten in some of the new waves. The X-wave was completely gone (though I own them all, so I don't really care) while the latest Spidey wave was all gone save for a solo Miles and he Strange wave (which I really didn't expect to see) was reduced to just Mordo and Voodoo. All of whom were keeping company with multiple Misty Knights and Cottonmouth's on the shelf.[/quote]

Hoooopefully the Luke Cage series will help shift a few of the Misty figures that are still loitering pretty much everywhere. It's the wrong Cottonmouth for me to say the same about the other figure. :o

The X-Men wave has started to turn up locally. My LCS had two each of Havok and Iceman... but they're a chain and get their stock from a central warehouse, so it's impossible to tell if the rest have been pillaged or they just never got them in.
But overall, quite happy. The alternate costume looks great. The mold works more as a compliment to my existing Spidey than a potential replacement, though.
Miles is in the regular universe now anyway, so complementary he indeed should be! :)

Picked up an unexpected bonus at work recently, so managed to convince myself that I could justify buying The Wrecker from eBay.

He's... a mixed bag. As is pretty much to be expected from the earlier Hasbro Legends waves. The ab crunch and right hip are really loose while all the other joints are ridiculously tight. There's some superb detailing on the body/head, but the paint job is disappointingly plain on the body (and they've smudged the mask on the bridge of his nose), while the magical crowbar has more detailing and subtle sprayed apps than a lot of figures I've seen.

He's big and imposing, with a good snarling face and has some reasonable articulation. All in all he's okay, and I'm now one figure away from completing the classic line-up Wrecking Crew. But it's just a shame that the early Hasbro stuff is so expensive on the secondary market when it's so hit and miss in terms of quality. It's the sort of stuff I wish they'd take another pass at somewhere down the line.