The Mighty Thor: Norse god of thunder vanquishes burglar while looking a bit camp.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

The Mighty Thor: Norse god of thunder vanquishes burglar while looking a bit camp.

Post by Jetfire »

From today's Telegraph.

Burglar scared off by man dressed as Thor after New Year party

A construction firm manager returning from New Year's Eve fancy dress party scared off a burglar by charging at him dressed as the Norse god Thor.

Last Updated: 11:58AM GMT 01 Jan 2009

Six-foot tall Torvald Alexander, 38, was wearing a red cape and the thunder god's silver-winged helmet when he spotted the raider in his front room rifling through a desk.

Mr Alexander, who runs building firm Alexander & Summers in Edinburgh, Scotland, said the burglar threw himself out of a first floor window of his £350,000 home in the Inverleith area of the city after being caught red handed.

Mr Alexander said: "As soon as he saw me his eyes went wide with terror.

"He looked like he had had a few drinks and decided to do a late night break in, but he hadn't counted on the God of Thunder living here."

He added: "I had just got back from a fancy dress New Year's party and because I have a Norwegian name I decided to go as Thor.

"It took ages making the cape, helmet and breast plate, and I must admit it was a bit chilly walking home, but when I saw that guy I just went mad and charged at him, my cape flying behind me.

"I think if I had had Thor's hammer with me I might have scared him to death."

Norse legend Thor has a magical hammer, called Mjolnir, which returns to him after knocking out his enemies foe magically returns to the superhero. It can also throw lightning bolts at enemies.

Mr Alexander said that the burglar had not managed to steal anything, but had left his shoes at the scene.

He said: "He had obviously taken off his shoes to creep about in silence, but when he saw me he just jumped out of the window in his socks.

"It will make him think again before breaking into other people's homes. Hopefully it's taught him a lesson."

Mr Alexander said he was contacting police and was going to hand over the burglar's shoes in the hope police can trace him.

An £80m blockbuster based on the Norse god is due to be released in 2010 after Kenneth Branagh agreed to direct it.

James Bond star Daniel Craig was rumoured to be taking the lead role, but no actors have so far been confirmed.
Here is Mr Alexander as Thor:

Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

Thats possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever read...

And the most disturbing thing I've ever seen!

I'm liking how they've left out any refrences to Marvel Comics.
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

That was much better without the picture...
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Brilliant is all I can say, I think I'll be Thor for the next fancy dress gatherin down my way.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The only reason I'd have to fear that guy is that he might try and touch me up... Seriously, I've shat out better Thor costumes than that.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

That's pretty awesome...until I got down to the photo, where it became apparent that the thief leap out the window because he was being attacked by some nutter in a tinfoil hat.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Cliffjumper wrote:The only reason I'd have to fear that guy is that he might try and touch me up... Seriously, I've shat out better Thor costumes than that.
I suspose if you don't have much time and only have lots in tinfoil and a red blanket.......
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Grufflock wrote: I'm liking how they've left out any refrences to Marvel Comics.
:o
Norse legend Thor has a magical hammer, called Mjolnir, which returns to him after knocking out his enemies foe magically returns to the superhero. It can also throw lightning bolts at enemies.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Jetfire wrote:I suspose if you don't have much time and only have lots in tinfoil and a red blanket.......
I'd still probably do a better job. I guess when you're six foot odd you don't have to worry too much about looking good - no-one at the party is going to laugh, are they?
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

secretcode wrote::o
nyet!
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'd still probably do a better job. I guess when you're six foot odd you don't have to worry too much about looking good - no-one at the party is going to laugh, are they?
Speaking as someone who is six foot odd I can safely say this is not the case (in general situations where they want to laugh that is, I've never dressed up as Thor).
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

inflatable dalek wrote:Speaking as someone who is six foot odd I can safely say this is not the case
Ditto. In fact, small people in bad costumes can easily hide in the crowd. We bigguns can't blend so easily.
My roommate and I received an invite to a party where we were told to wear black and white. The inviter told us to be as crazy as we could. Apparently nobody else was told that. We showed up in goth drag while everyone else (people we'd never met) were wearing black jeans and white cardigen sweaters. My roommate at 5'5" was able to sit on a couch and not draw too much attention. (It also helped that he actually made the dress look pretty good.) At 6'3", I wasn't able to hide that well. One of the worst Christmas parties of recent memory. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

For you, maybe, but that's gold for any of us that happen to be writing a sitcom.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Ya know, I once made an Optimus Prime costume for a Halloween party. It consisted of an Optimus Prime Halloween mask, a red shirt with appropriate bits of tinfoil stuck on it, and blue jeans.

At least I had an excuse for looking that bad. I was 11, and it was a last minute thing. That guy looks less like Thor and more like a hood ornament.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Heinrad wrote:Ya know, I once made an Optimus Prime costume for a Halloween party. It consisted of an Optimus Prime Halloween mask, a red shirt with appropriate bits of tinfoil stuck on it, and blue jeans.
I was a Transformer for a christmas party, It took one month of cardboard wizardry to make it transform and 20 minutes to break:down:.

A friend of mine has the video on her computer I'll try and get her to e-mail it to me.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:For you, maybe, but that's gold for any of us that happen to be writing a sitcom.
Someone already did, that Batman and Robin episode of Only Fools...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Like a bisexual!
Thank you Ted, that was The Joke.
inflatable dalek

If that's your idea of a joke I don't think much of your sitcom chances.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Has to be better than anything on FOX's sitcom lineup.
RCOSD

Post by RCOSD »

The burglar was more than likely full of "the old Buckie" and when he seen him, thought it would be a better idea to get another bottle to tan him with.