Happy Holidays

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
starlord
Protoform

Happy Holidays

Post by starlord »

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Happy Saturnalia.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Happy Festivus.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Christmas is still two weeks away. Learn time.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Merry Christmas to you Starlord.I'm glad to see that some people are also tired of the "happy holidays" crap.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Ho ho ho and a merry christmas to all archivists. my mum has bought me uni Powerglide, anyone else with transformers on their christmas lists?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Skidmark wrote:Merry Christmas to you Starlord.I'm glad to see that some people are also tired of the "happy holidays" crap.
Not everybody's a Christian, and there's more than one festival in December. So it's hardly "crap".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I stick with Merry Christmas because as far as I'm concerned it's an entirely secular occasion. However, people who choose to get vocally annoyed with someone politely wishing them a good festive season -- whatever mix of greeting they choose -- come across as pretty dickish.

secretcode

Post by secretcode »

electro girl wrote:archivists
I thought it was Archiver?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I thought it didn't actually matter.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Every time some knob-polisher whines about "Happy Holidays," I want to slap him around and point out that Christmas is based on pagan holidays, and the only reason Jesus was shoehorned into it was because it made converting people easier.

Also, like Denyer, I celebrate it as an entirely secular holiday. All the good traditions were swiped from the Scandinavian heathens, anyway.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

TBH, I think going out of your way to call it something else is a bit mad. It's an excuse to kick back a few days, be nice to people and exchange gifts with loved ones, the word is just an excuse. I don't care where it comes from, bluntly. But then at the same time I think getting worked up about it either way is missing the point somewhat.
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

Sir Auros wrote:Also, like Denyer, I celebrate it as an entirely secular holiday. All the good traditions were swiped from the Scandinavian heathens, anyway.
Apart from the Celtish ones.
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Every Time you wish some one a "Happy Holiday" it makes the baby Jesus cry.

:p
Come on and wind me up.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I call it Christmas as well, but am not a Christian. The main reason is just out of habit, and because it is just easier with kids to call it what it is. I feel that it is at this point not really a christian holiday anymore at all anyway. The current incarnation of Christmas is far more Satanic than anything else.

In saying such a statement I feel I must give an explanation. I mean Satanic not in the sense that christians and other lesser educated folks would use the word, but in the regards of how Anton LaVey used the word, symbolic of the archetype of Satan.

Christmas is a very Satanic holiday in the fact that it, like Satan, represents indulgence and not abstinence. It is a capitalist holiday that is centered around material things, the giving and receiving of them. It is also a very selfish holiday. Even if you claim to only care about giving gifts, you still get pleasure from doing so, and thus are serving to fulfill a self gratifying need in the process.

I love Christmas, and would not call it anything else. I do however make it a point to teach my children the roots and origins of the holiday, so that they are not as closed minded and are able to make their own call on how they want to feel about it, and celebrate it.

On the other hand, I feel it important to stress that one's own birthday should be more important and special to them than anyone else's.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Cliffjumper wrote:I thought it didn't actually matter.

You're on Notice.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

secretcode wrote:Happy Festivus.
You got here before I did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I want a pony.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:It's an excuse to kick back a few days, be nice to people and exchange gifts with loved ones, the word is just an excuse. I don't care where it comes from, bluntly. But then at the same time I think getting worked up about it either way is missing the point somewhat.
Mmm. I mostly view it as "getting a few days off as compensation for choosing to stay in a Christian nation".

Much in the same way I regard being skint all the ****ing time as a byproduct of living in a capitalist society.

We're in the country we're in... sometimes it works out good, sometimes it don't. There's always the option to leave. You stay, sometimes you gotta roll with the punches.

... I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere. Maybe a moral, probably a message, maybe even a meaning. But not the meaning of Christmas.