Evangelion fans, identify yourselves so I can know you are cool! ;)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Gareth Infinity

Evangelion fans, identify yourselves so I can know you are cool! ;)

Post by Gareth Infinity »

Heheh, just wondering who else around here is into NGE.

I've only seen the series through about 5 or 6 times, somehow still managed to lose count. The Director's Cut Episodes 21-24 are practically essential, and contain material that should've been there in the first place. Definitely prefer it in the sub as opposed to the dub. Currently I only have the cheapie box set of DVDs, so I don't get any of the booklets, but that might change.

I've seen Death & Rebirth, but only because it came along with The End of Evangelion when I bought it on eBay. "Death" is generally a waste of time unless you need a recap of the series, and "Rebirth" is practically the first third of "End", so it's also unnecessary for me.

The End of Evangelion is one of my two favorite movies of all time, and almost always manages to bring me to tears.

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 was very cool, can't wait for the US DVD to be out. They're obviously working towards some big changes, I'm very excited to see what's to come!

Other Evangelion stuff I own, Revoltechs:

-"Rebuild" Unit-01
-"Rebuild" Unit-00
-Unit-01 with F-Type Equipment
-Unit-04 came practically broken in the box :(

-Soul of Chogokin GX-21 Unit-03

-Soul of Chogokin Spec XS-09 Unit-00'

-Clear purple Kaiyodo Unit-01, what a mistake...

-Glow-in-the-dark Kaiyodo Unit-01, much more durable!

-Bandai LM Sachiel, never gonna build it.

-ArtAsylum Sachiel figure, rarely take it out of the box.

-And, I have two shirts on the way.

So, there is a LOT more Eva merchandise I have on my want list, who knows when I'll be satisfied. Anyone else share in this love?!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I, too, am a fan on NGE, I have the complete box set with the booklets, one of the director's cut dvds, End Of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth, as well as Rebuild Of Evangelion 1.01, which I am hoping gets released with the original american voice actors and I used to have a figurine of Unit-00 in it's blue color.
Destruction is my specialty
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Always meant to watch Evangelion, but considering I've already seen Ideon there doesn't seem to be much point.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Gareth Infinity wrote: The Director's Cut Episodes 21-24 are practically essential, and contain material that should've been there in the first place.
Do these cut's make the ending less random, and actually continue the story?

I really liked the series until around the end when the nicely developing plot was tossed out the window for Freudian/existential/LSD musings. Not that it wasn't interesting, but I found it a jarring non sequitur. Plus the last episode or two threw in a bunch of new stuff without comment or fanfare. I'm all for letting the audience come to their own conclusions; however, introducing new plot concepts in the last episode reeks of sloppy writing (or unexpected cancellation).

Anywho, if the movies fix the above concerns, I may have to give them a look at some point.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

I have a Revoltech of Unit-O2 ('97 Movie version). That makes me a fan right?

I haven't got around to watching the series yet. A friend let me borrow Death/Rebirth, but without any background it gave me all kinds of headaches.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I've watched the show twice.

I've never seen End of Evangelion, but I watched a video that sums up the whole thing in around 6 minutes, so there's no need.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

tahukanuva wrote:I haven't got around to watching the series yet. A friend let me borrow Death/Rebirth, but without any background it gave me all kinds of headaches.
In my experience, it's not much less headache-inducing even if you've seen the series.
Gareth Infinity

Post by Gareth Infinity »

Death & Rebirth are a waste. Death is just a re-hashing of the series with Director's Cut scenes thrown in, and Rebirth is just the first third of "The End of Evangelion" so it's totally worthless.

For someone just starting the series: don't even watch the last two episodes, at least not at first. Make sure you get the Director's Cuts of the later episodes, skip the last two, and then watch "End". Go back and watch the last two episodes later for laughs.

To my understanding they were thrown together in a rush and with a lack of money. As far as I'm concerned, the movie is the real ending. There is seriously almost nothing substantial to the last two episodes. But the movie is quite possibly my favorite movie of all time, animated or not.
Vatterott forbid I learn a thing.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

I have only knowledge from watching the series. I am currently hunting Rebuild of Evangelion, in order to watch it free. Anyone who knows a good site?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Seems like the first compilation movie was almost completely accurate to the episodes it re-told, the second compilation movie absolutely changes EVERYTHING.

Evas, events, even the pilots!

Can't wait for it to be released in DVD format!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

In the first movie, they changed the order of the Angels so that Sachiel is the 4th Angel and there is no mention of who or what the 3rd Angel is (strange feeling it is going to be the Lilim).
Also, if you have seen the second one, Knightdramon, does it look like it's going to get more angsty or is it too soon to tell?
Destruction is my specialty
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

One thing's for sure, the second movie changes everything.

I never really followed the angel names [they all looked like monster of the week creatures to me], but the order of battles is changed [EVA 02 does not arrive via boat, so the setting is different], pilots are reversed [in a somewhat good way] and towards the end of the movie, it strays COMPLETELY from the anime material.

In my opinion, it's made more "mecha" friendly [EVA 05 and 06 are unique production models with pilots] and less teenage-angst in the middle of the end of days.