Advice for my small cat

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Advice for my small cat

Post by Knightdramon »

Also posted this on TFW2005, any advice is super appreciated

I'm taking care of two sister cats for a month now, they're about 3.5-4.5 months old.

Just half an hour ago Bella, the gray one, fell from the balcony [not sure how or from where] and onto the sidewalk. I came out from her meowing and picked her up. When she first saw me she run [my heart skipped a beat because it's a quite large neighborhood] but after she recognized me she waited to pick her up and go upstairs.

Upon entering the house and landing her on a couch she lifted her right paw for quite some time before lying down, but wasn't crying or anything. Could not tell if anything was broken [she'd react differently, right?] and lay her down next to her sister. I kept her company for half an hour until she fell asleep. As she was sleeping I could hear her breathing was heavier than usual.

She fell about 4-5 metres down from the balcony. Should I be worried and rush her to a doctor or wait until tomorrow to see how she's doing?

Doctor told me to look for signs of internal bleeding in her gums; aside from a small drop of blood on her lip, they appear to be normal. And of all the times for my phone not to work! Should I be looking for something else?

She's now been sitting very quietly on the couch, moving around to change sides etc. I've been toying with her legs and she doesn't appear to be in pain. She didn't want any water or food.

Is it just the stress? The phone's not working so the doctor can't call back, don't really know what to do. Her sister is pretty much ignoring her...
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm not an expert, so take all of this with a pinch of salt...

Generally, no fuss is good news. From my experience, and that of a friend I've just rang who's probably got more cats than I have outdated chunky robots, if a cat's got broken bones you won't hear the end of it.

She's probably just really freaked out - cats generally get very, very unnerved when they lose their balance and stuff like that. 5m is survivable, but not much fun - much like I guess it'd be for one of us. Mine fell of the back of a chair, about a metre, and she was really funny for about a day - didn't eat or drink, very quiet, we worried that she'd fallen on the wrong place and done something internal - apparently, though, they just find any sort of fall (rather than a jump) very traumatic.

Sorry there's not much solid there, just hearsay, and I hope she's alright.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'm not an expert, so take all of this with a pinch of salt...

Generally, no fuss is good news. From my experience, and that of a friend I've just rang who's probably got more cats than I have outdated chunky robots, if a cat's got broken bones you won't hear the end of it.

She's probably just really freaked out - cats generally get very, very unnerved when they lose their balance and stuff like that. 5m is survivable, but not much fun - much like I guess it'd be for one of us. Mine fell of the back of a chair, about a metre, and she was really funny for about a day - didn't eat or drink, very quiet, we worried that she'd fallen on the wrong place and done something internal - apparently, though, they just find any sort of fall (rather than a jump) very traumatic.

Sorry there's not much solid there, just hearsay, and I hope she's alright.
Yeah, I figured that too about the broken bones; if a human screams all day, why shouldn't a cat?

The phone is still not working so I can't get to the vet, but I'm assuming she's just really, really, really freaked out. How on earth she fell I still can't grasp, she always travels to the neighbour's balcony every day; she prefers sleeping there rather than here!

Many thanks for the swift reply, greatly appreciated.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'll echo Cliffy's sentiment and advice as well. In my experience with cats they can take falls like a pro, from what you are describing I'd say the cat's fine, just a little shaken. They don't seem to take to well to that whole "cats always land on their feet" thing being debunked. ;)
Grapple

Post by Grapple »

If you want to entertain them, get yourself a quarter and go to a grocery store vending machine that sells those flippy-foot/hand things - the rubber foot that you fling and it sticks to any surface. Hold it above them and let them swipe at it, spin and swing it around. They love the way it rebounds and comes back at them. Cats love that. I've had a cat for 8 years, and after all that time she still loves it.
THE POWER OF BAY COMPELS YOU!
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Have her checked out. Most animals get quiet when they're ill or injured.

But, it's probably nothing, but why take the chance?
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

My roommates mom is a Federal Vet. she says if they make alot of noise then somethings defiantly wrong, also however many animals ignore and abandon one of their own if they're ill or dieing...

She also says that a cat even that young should be able to survive a fall like that.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
AngelOfDeath124
Protoform

Post by AngelOfDeath124 »

From what you've described, she should be okay, but I would still take her to a vet just to be safe. What seems like, Oh she should be okay, can turn to Oh God, Vet NOW real fast with cats.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

How is she? It has been about two to three weeks. Was there any damage, or was she just scared?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I just took her and her sister to have the last round of shots for this year.

Needless to say, the injured one was perfectly fine, she just had very high temperature for the following hours after the accident, I took her to the doctor the next afternoon and she gave her around 8 injections...she was fine just minutes after.

Thanks for all the interest, all of you!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Best news all day.