WHRE MY COMIX? RAR! [Planetary, Miracleman, etc]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Paul Cornell? Marvel are ware that he's not Warren Ellis? Or even any good? They've already let him raab Pete Wisdom for no readily apparent reason.

Nah, Nate only worked under the Ellis/Grant combo team, and TBH now they killed him off (in an awesome way) I'd rather he stays dead. I know I'd rather be dead than written by Paul ****ing Cornell anyway.

I tend to think of Marvel as folding around five-six years ago, and just ignore anything they've done since, as I find it makes me hate humanity just that little bit less if I ignore series where Union Jack teams up with a bunch of second stringers to defend London from super-terrorists, Pete Wisdom hangs around with forced eccentrics and bangs fairy princesses and Tony Stark goes mad (again, yawn - The Crossing was shite first time around...).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

What was the last genuinely good comic Marvel produced that they didn't ultimately shit on in some way?

Other than Nextwave, of course.

There was the whole Brand New Day thing in Spidey, the continued employment of Jeph Loeb (do we know who Red Hulk is yet? does anybody still care?), the constant slew of crossover Events that become harder to care about each time, Astonishing being drawn so that you can only read it when on LSD, the continued employment of Chris Claremont...

Thunderbolts? They murdered the work Ellis did on that yet? Oh, Alias was good. Erm... they find a way to **** over Deadpool yet? Outside of the godawful Wolverine movie, obviously.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

To be honest, I'm really liking Amazing Spider-Man now :o

As for Thunderbolts, Ellis' work remains. They actually continued upon it and it's still a very good read :up:

Astonishing is going to get a new artist by the way. Phil Jimenez :)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Don't forget the all-but-cancellation of the Ultimate books.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I don't read much Marvel but what I do read I like for the most part.

Uncanny X-Men has been a solid read for a good long while now.
X-Men Legacy is alright with moments of brilliance.
The three Wolverine books have been great.
X-Factor is just awesome.
So is X-Force if you ignore the recent crossover with Cable.
New Avengers is great stuff.
Dark Avengers is great too.
Iron Man has been really good lately too.
Captain America is good.
Then there's Mighty Avengers which I'm quite tired of right now and may stop reading.

Heh, I like how I say "I don't read much Marvel" then rattle off 10 books. I don't actually buy all of those though. 3 of those are books I get scans of instead...

I used to read most of the Ultimate books, Hulk, Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Astonishing X-Men and Exiles but stopped a couple of years ago. I may have to do a culling of what IU read soon as money is getting tight and there are like a billion books to this Blackest Night thing.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Don't forget the all-but-cancellation of the Ultimate books.
That falls under the continued employment of Jeph ****ing Loeb. I stopped reading UXM and FF the moment I found out they were building to an earth-shattering crossover written not by Ellis or Millar or Bendis or anybody involved in what made the titles good in the first place, but by Jeph ****ing Loeb.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The current Millar/Hitch run on Fantastic Four has been good straightforward enjoyable fun with killer art. Just to be on the safe side though I'll drop it when their run finishes. I only just managed to dodge the bullet of Ultimates 3.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Yeah, Ultimates 3 was pretty retarded. It killed just about everything that Millar and Hitch had done on the book.

Fantastic Four by Millar is awesome. Didn't like the first arc that much, but I'm glad I stuck around for the rest. Can't go wrong with Doom :D
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I've just read advanced reviews of the two new 'Ultimate Comics' books coming out today, Ultimate Avengers and Spider-Man and apparently they're both pretty darn good, and they both look relatively sweet, with melon head spidey being kinda annoying at first, and I love Pacheco (have done since JLA/JSA Virtue & Vice) on Avengers...

Hmmm a decent book that hasn't been ruined.... Captain America has been consistenly brilliant since it launched, but I'm gonna wait and see how this Cap Reborn thing is going to play out before I discuss whether it is ruined...

I'd say Spider-Man has actually been revitalised somewhat by the events of OMD, I've read most of the issues since and for the first time in a while I have actually enjoyed it... I still hate the whole thing around it, my issue (and this is DC syndrome) is that a comic for some reason needs to be retconned in order to be made good again, rather than simply getting creative and imaginitive writers and artists to think of something new.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

CounterPunch wrote:I still hate the whole thing around it, my issue (and this is DC syndrome) is that a comic for some reason needs to be retconned in order to be made good again, rather than simply getting creative and imaginitive writers and artists to think of something new.
Thing is, it's not that they don't get creative and imaginative people working on the books. It's that, every time they do, their run is generally so short that they don't have an opportunity to explore everything they set up, and subsequent creators either ignore the framework that's been built or write something else that's completely at odds with it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup - that, for me, is how Joe Quesada ruined Marvel (at least, mainstream Marvel superhero books). Every 12 months some hotshoe writer, or a twat like Geoff Johns, comes in and spends six months knocking down the previous writer's book, then does their own stupid plots for six months, before ****ing back off to DC with a nice boost to their bank balance. And Joe Q hires another Wizard-friendly name, and the whole cycle starts again...

I mean, a lot of Marvel stuff used to be rubbish, but at least it wasn't twatty rubbish.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I've never read John's Avengers run, but I have heard it was god awful, out of character, and yeah as you said, a complete deconstruction of what came before... Which is weird considering his love for continuity, and the fact all the books he has written for DC have been love letters to the past, while not seeming like rehashes... Methinks some foul "yeah lets send him over there to bugger stuff up" play was goin on...

Have just read the 2 Ult. Comics books out this week, must say, enjoyed them quite alot, and I dont know why but I'm kind of liking melon head Spidey... not as bad as everyone is saying (it is far worse on the cover, perfectly spherical), think it kind of adds the artists own stamp on to the book a bit.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've come to realize that with Marvel as long as you stick to books written by Bendis, Brubaker, and Fraction you'll do fine. Oh and avoid the event books at all costs too because they're never as great as they're built up to be.

I have read Johns' run on Avengers and I'm not quite sure what he was doing. It's not the worst run of comics I've ever read, hell it's not even the worst run of Avengers comics I've ever read. It was just kind of "bleh". Though Marvel's editorial staff do have a history of interfering with their writers' stories. Maybe Johns was pissed off and wasn't being allowed to write what he wanted to. I don't know. I do know that everything else I've read by Geoff Johns has been spectacular. He's a good writer, seriously.

You know what's funny? Kurt Busiek's over at DC writing terrible crap. Trinity and Aquaman were awful. Just bad ideas completely. Kind of a role reversal.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Definitely, I cannot think of a single book Johns has written at DC that I havent absolutely loved, even Infinite Crisis was a bloody good read (for what it was though, nothing compared to his other work) the only major books of his I havent read are Hawkman and Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E, which I think are also awesome.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

OMFG WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm actually going to pay for this.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Dammit I want it now!

Andy