Charlton Heston dies

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Charlton Heston dies

Post by Jetfire »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7332960.stm

I prefer to think of him as that guy who made some immense films, vocally supportd civil rights before it became the fashionable thing and (rare enough) seemed to stick wth his wife since 1944 than the gun tottin NRA front man of latter years.

R.I.P.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Damn...

Well. God's got doubles of Moses now. Moseses? Mosii?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

What a shame.At least he's soaring on the wings of angels.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Those maniacs, damm them all to hell!

God bless, Charlton.
:angel:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Still, on the plus side we can get his gun off him now.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Bummer.

funny piece on the ferret, too.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I gues Doctor Zeus wasn't that much cop then. He should have gone BUPA.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Doctor Zeus
Cheers, I now have the "Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, ooooh, Doctor Zaius" thing from the Simpsons stuck in my head.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:Cheers, I now have the "Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, ooooh, Doctor Zaius" thing from the Simpsons stuck in my head.
It's basically impossible to watch Planet of the Apes since they did that really isn't it?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm pretty sure if you rip all the episodes of Simpsons to a PC, use a storyboard programme to pull out all the Planet of the Apes references, and then stitch them together, it'd be the same length as the first film...
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Cliffjumper wrote:Cheers, I now have the "Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius, ooooh, Doctor Zaius" thing from the Simpsons stuck in my head.
I've had it in my head since I heard the news.

troy mcclure was my hero.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Jetfire wrote: I prefer to think of him as that guy who made some immense films, vocally supportd civil rights before it became the fashionable thing and (rare enough) seemed to stick wth his wife since 1944...
Doesn't really change the fact that the man was chair of the NRA and chief spokesman for SPUC (society for the protection of unborn children, a group that believes abortion is wrong and wants it made illegal, and who have some very questionable methods of getting that message across). He was a massive hypocrite, can't kill it until after its born, but then, knock yourself out.

Whatever he did in his younger years, his death at this point is really no great loss. Besides, he had a good run of it.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Cliffjumper wrote:Still, on the plus side we can get his gun off him now.
:o

angloconvoy wrote:Doesn't really change the fact that the man was chair of the NRA and chief spokesman for SPUC (society for the protection of unborn children, a group that believes abortion is wrong and wants it made illegal, and who have some very questionable methods of getting that message across). He was a massive hypocrite, can't kill it until after its born, but then, knock yourself out.

Whatever he did in his younger years, his death at this point is really no great loss. Besides, he had a good run of it.

I totally agree. But as a person I accept Heston probably thought he was standing for the right causes however wrong was think they are. I think it's unfair to say his stances on abortion and the NRA are comparable hypocrisy. One is about the very difficult an sticky issue of where life starts and the other is (susposed) to be the right for protection not the right to shoot anybody at will. I believe he was wrong (The pressence of guns amplifies the dangers of crime and violence) however I wouldn't say he was exactly a hypocrite on the matter.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Heston was a primitive lunatic. I don't have a problem with people if their views differ from mine...but only if they're able to explain, in a relatively eloquent fashion, why their views have merit. To see how easily Heston's logic could be ripped apart, pick up a copy of Bowling for Columbine and skip to Michael Moore's interview with Heston, where the aging maniac refers to violence in America as an "ethnic issue"... *shudders*
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aye, I'd have more sympathy for Heston's cause if it wasn't for some of the crass ways him and the organisation took - was it Columbine they held a meeting at months after the shootings? There's a difference between the things people stand for and the way they go about it...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Vin Ghostal wrote:Heston was a primitive lunatic. I don't have a problem with people if their views differ from mine...but only if they're able to explain, in a relatively eloquent fashion, why their views have merit. To see how easily Heston's logic could be ripped apart, pick up a copy of Bowling for Columbine and skip to Michael Moore's interview with Heston, where the aging maniac refers to violence in America as an "ethnic issue"... *shudders*
Not sure what the origin is but there's a YouTube clip which takes that interview appart somewhat by an amazingly ugly guy:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-rCnRp_MffI&NR=1

Of course some of the claims are bollocks, however it does make some good points.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Jetfire wrote: I totally agree. But as a person I accept Heston probably thought he was standing for the right causes however wrong was think they are. I think it's unfair to say his stances on abortion and the NRA are comparable hypocrisy. One is about the very difficult an sticky issue of where life starts and the other is (susposed) to be the right for protection not the right to shoot anybody at will. I believe he was wrong (The pressence of guns amplifies the dangers of crime and violence) however I wouldn't say he was exactly a hypocrite on the matter.
Oh, he certainly was a man of conviction, that said, so were most of the biggest monsters in history. And I'm sure most of them thought they were standing for the right causes.

And I fail to see how his active membership in SPUC and the NRA aren't comparible to someone with his beliefs. I believe a foetus isn't alive in a real sense, but Heston did, therefore his two little clubs are fundamentally opposed with regards to giving people the power to end a life. Both of his organisations use crass methods to get their viewpoint across as well, which seriously reduces my sympathy with regards to their right to say their piece.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Cliffjumper wrote: was it Columbine they held a meeting at months after the shootings? There's a difference between the things people stand for and the way they go about it...
Yep, apparently it was less than a month after the shootings. And he had the nerve to say in his speech there, that the parents and protestors of their group had no right to tell them to post-pone the rally.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I have no respect for Heston and his political views / campaigns.

(Although I see no reason why someone can't be against abortion and pro guns for self defense or sport. Not that I aggree with either point, but people are entitled to different views to myself... In fact, they generally exercise that liberty. Especially my wife. ;) Anyhoo. The trouble comes when you campaign for them in forceful and unthinking ways, as Heston did.)

However, I have a great amount of respect for Heston as an actor.

I don't ask the checkout boy at Asda what he does with his spare time, or what his political views are, and I try and avoid hearing those of 'celebrities' and muddling that with their acting ability. Heston did force his across a bit much though, and perhaps falls under the category of using his celebrity to forward his political views. (I would have trouble with the checkout boy if he started refusing to take my money and give me my beer unless I signed up to his cause - or, worse yet, I'd be royally peeved if he just plain refused to sell beer because he thought alcohol were immoral for personal or religious reasons. But, I don't that Asda would allow that situation, so we're probably safe from the forced political influence of checkout boys... for now...)

And, for all I know, he may well have been a great family man, husband, and friend. But I don't really know.

But, the man did indeed have a good run. Cinema was lucky to have him.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.