PSA: Barack Obama is not a muslim

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Originally posted by Chromia
This year, I'm just going to make a dart board, and close my eyes,and throw a dart to see who I vote for.....

It sometimes seems like the safer bet, doesn't it? Clinton won the NH primary last night, as did old Johnnie boy. I wasn't surprised about McCain, his momentum is moving in the right direction, his campaign has improved dramatically and the surge is working better than most thought it would and he can actually take some credit for that. Romney may be dead in the water soon...thank Jesus (kudos to those who catch the irony of that statement) and Huckabee outright frightens me. Guiliani is the really interesting republican because he flat out skipped the first two little states and blitzed on to the larger states, risky but if he starts to rattle off some wins it will prove brilliant in how he used his resources.

Still, I can't bring myself to vote for any of the elephants, there's too much Bush-lite to them. McCain was someone I liked up until Iraq, then after that he appeared to pander to Dubya too much and he's all but sold his soul to the fundy weirdos in this country.

Getting back to Obama, he is a candidate I do like, don't get me wrong and he's really growing on me. In a perfect world, the ticket for me would be Gore/Obama. I almost threw up when I saw Clinton won...that's bad news for Obama because some polls predicted him to win by as much as 10 percent. (not that polls in this country can accurately predict anything) However, it shows that his momentum didn't carry over from Iowa, so the next few primaries will be critical for him.

The bit about "is America ready for a black president" is so old, my God, if this country can't see that of the current group he is one of the best candidates, then they are fools who deserve four more years of mediocre leadership. I'd be comfortable with him or Edwards, as I've stated before...if the worst happens, well I'm not going to care because now work for RBC Dain Rauscher, which is essentially owned by the Royal Bank of Canada...so I can always flee up there and gain a work related transfer!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I also liked McCain prior to him going balls to the wall on the war, but he'd be much, much better than either Romney or Huckabee. The last thing this country needs is more zealot leadership.

I can't say I'd be happy to see Hillary on the ballot. She's built up a lot of ill-will (warranted or not), and I'm not pleased with her recent campaigning for discriminative censorship, singling out videogames.

I had a student argue with me today during a discussion on how the latino vote could effect the elections (Spanish teacher, for those not in the know), and even though I brought up Obama's website, a story on CNN discounting the madrassa story, and the Snopes.com link, she persisted. I don't know if it was her parents or her pastor who have her believing that, but I finally told her that she's entitled to her opinion, but what she was doing was like arguing that the sky was green. She did finally backpedal onto the argument that because his father was a muslim and his mother was an atheist, that makes him unsuitable for president. At least that's an opinion.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
Romney may be dead in the water soon...thank Jesus (kudos to those who catch the irony of that statement)
Good. I was hoping and still am that the floorflusher won't get very far. I hope this whole campaign is a very Mormon...err...I mean, morbid experience for him. Okay, yeah, that joke was lame.
and Huckabee outright frightens me.
Thank God, I'm not the only one that feels that way. His idea for the IRS downright scares the crap out of me. As for the other the other Elephants, I don't trust any of them. McCain would have been the closest by as was already said, well...it's already been said.

As for the Dems, I don't trust Hillary either for her Iraq policy. I'm liking Barack and I've heard good things about Edwards, so I have to check those two out more closely. As for the black president question, I don't care what color the president is as long as s/he/it can lead properly (no cowboy diplomacy for start). The person could be purple with yellow polka-dots for all I care.

As for another candidate, what's the deal with this Ron Paul guy? All I know is that he apparently raised a ****load of money on the internet and appears to be rather conservative but is a libertarian.

EDIT: After reading Auros' response, it's a shame that the reiligion of a politician comes into play so often during campaigns. I was under the impression that this country was where anyone can practice any or no religion as long as they stay within the bounds of the law; such as, no human sacrifices though admittedly, it's tempting to do that to some of the people at my job. Personally, I don't care what religion a person is as long as they're a competent leader.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Originally posted by Sir Auros

I had a student argue with me today....but what she was doing was like arguing that the sky was green....She did finally backpedal

So when did Tramp start taking your class???
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Getaway

Post by Getaway »

I read on another Forum that Ron Paul has published some kind of newsletter in the past for a number of years that was basically massively racist and very supportive of various KKK members. There is a debate as to whether he wrote the articles himself or just let them be published under his name for a period of years, either way if true then that should rightfully scupper him.

As a non-American looking in only Obama and to a lesser extent McCain appeal to me for who I would like to see our supposed greatest allies to elect.

Getaway the houdini of the transformers universe nobody can defeat him......except Rodimus Prime, Cyclonus, Starscream, Deathbringer, Thunderwing, Dreadwing........

"Run hot, but always keep your cool."
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
... She did finally backpedal onto the argument that because his father was a muslim and his mother was an atheist, that makes him unsuitable for president. At least that's an opinion.

Oi...

Tell me again...why are teachers not allowed to beat students??
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Because once they start, there'd be no time for anything else.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Sorry for going off topic, but I was just wondering if John McCain is the same dude that Dave Chappelle did his "Byaaaaaah!" sketch on in the Lost episodes DVD?

Back on topic, I don't usually follow American elections until the two candidates have been chosen, but I have liked Obama ever since I saw his Keynotes speech at the '04 Democratic Convention. I liked Hillary up until she changed her stance on Health Care because her sponsers told her to.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Originally posted by Blitzwing
Sorry for going off topic, but I was just wondering if John McCain is the same dude that Dave Chappelle did his "Byaaaaaah!" sketch on in the Lost episodes DVD?

Close. Chappelle was making fun of Howard Dean.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Oi...

I'd have been happy for Frau Wheeler to beat me...