The big eBay issues thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:Glad the stuff turned up... Mildly suprised you didn't already have most of the things, though. I mean, I know where there are a pile of unwanted Titan trades...
Whoop, missed this. I haven't kept very good track of where my copies ended up (mostly because I don't tend to read them -- scans are far more convenient), plus managed to eBay a couple by mistake thinking I had dupes... as it stands I've got two-thirds of the set and have gotten rid of almost all the dupes.

So if you know to any that're still being cleared out / on clearance anywhere, I'm mostly after the more crap and slightly less plentiful US ones. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think the only unwanteds I have are "Beginnings" and "End of the Road", but I'll keep an eye out :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers. Stray copies still seem to turn in The Works every so often, but the local branch of that has rather annoyingly closed down...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Our one's only that useful if by "the more crap and slightly less plentiful US ones" you mean "more copies of the Energon annual that you can fit in your house" :\
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Pretty annoyed about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=006

Won and paid for on the 2nd of Feb. No sign of item so I e-mailed the seller yesterday politely enquiring about what was going on and get this today:

"hi, sorry about this, i've made a mistake with my listings and listed this item twice :( i'm asfraid i don't have it anymore so i've refunded you in full. sorry about the inconvience.
adam"

It took 18 days for him to realise this and it took me chasing it up to get a refund? Asshole.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sometimes shit does happen when dealing with that much inventory -- he seems to price loose items reasonably when the stock's in, so hopefully another'll come up soon.
Our one's only that useful if by "the more crap and slightly less plentiful US ones" you mean "more copies of the Energon annual that you can fit in your house"
Sadly not... on the UK side Second Gen, Prey and City of Fear (that's the one I'm kicking myself over, as it's a bit more scarce -- though still obtainable for about 2/3 cover price by looking beyond UK Amazon sellers...) and on the US, New Order then Breakdown through Last Stand.

End of the Road + Target 2006 seem to have made up most of Titan's print run if copies in circulation are to be believed...

The other annoying thing is that if I was in the US, there seem to be a few people hawking entire US sets cheap -- but by the time international postage's been factored in it's not really worth it, and they don't want to split or deal with people outside the US.

Eh, it'll happen with patience (and probably by abandoning cheapskate collecting practices with regard to dodgier stories for the last one or two...)
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Denyer wrote:Sometimes shit does happen when dealing with that much inventory -- he seems to price loose items reasonably when the stock's in, so hopefully another'll come up soon.
That I can accept, its just that it took so long and for me to enquire before he told me.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sounds like the mistake was in thinking he'd sent it out because (from his point of view) only one was in-stock/listed and he'd already posted it to someone -- your mail was what made him realise.
Turbo 07

Post by Turbo 07 »

You know, I was thinking about the way eBay's changed since I started using it 10 years ago and I think I know why they took away negative feedback for sellers. They just never use it, rushing to the nuclear option (NPB) every single time.

I bought or bid on several items almost two weeks ago to get my seller account feedback up to the point where I could actually sell under the new rules (no Paypal). That was probably futile anyway given how stingy most sellers are with feedback. Anyway, I mailed out almost a dozen money orders but I missed the one that was for a $4 Wendy's GoBot. So, with no email of any sort between us, he opens a dispute to which I respond that it was an oversight and I'll do it tomorrow.

I log in today to find a "PAY ME IN 24 HRS NOW!1" message and an immediate unpaid strike. Why can't these assholes understand that not everybody has Paypal, the mail service isn't a teleporter, and, most of all, people ocassionally make mistakes? What was so important about that four damned dollars that he feels obligated or justified to strike down my account over it?

For crying out loud, this is precisely what negative feedback is for. NPBs were never supposed to be used like this and it's no surprise that retalliatory negatives have supposedly been trending upward. If sellers want to talk about draconian practices driving people away from eBay, some of them need to take a long look in the mirror.

Back right before the rule changes, I had three buyers cut and run on me. I only filed an NPB against one and that was after almost a month of lies (he didn't read my very clear auction, then tried to weasel out of it). And eBay not only overturned it, but rejected my claim for $50 worth of auction fees!
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Hey Im no expert on this but when I win something I pay for it within 24 hours.
you never paid for something you won and the seller got pissed "QUELLE SURPRISE" (look it up dickwad)
Yeah you're right the sellers clearly in the wrong
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

martyboy70 wrote:Hey Im no expert on this but when I win something I pay for it within 24 hours.
you never paid for something you won and the seller got pissed "QUELLE SURPRISE" (look it up dickwad)
Yeah you're right the sellers clearly in the wrong
:nonono: Play nice, kid.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Turbo 07 wrote:NPBs were never supposed to be used like this
How long after the auction did he file a dispute, and did it specify anything like "payment required within [x] days" ?

If it's a private seller, they're either just being a git or have had a lot of time-wasters. If it's a business, they also don't want their stock tied up for several weeks -- but do still want to be able to offer cheque/MO payments to people who send them promptly.
martyboy70 wrote:"QUELLE SURPRISE" (look it up dickwad)
See you in a couple of days. Hopefully not with the excuse of being drunk; plenty of people manage to post here whilst barely coherent (with or without booze) but without being knobs.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Denyer wrote:How long after the auction did he file a dispute, and did See you in a couple of days. Hopefully not with the excuse of being drunk; plenty of people manage to post here whilst barely coherent (with or without booze) but without being knobs.
Aw just as I was getting a decent debate going over who was the better Rangers striker. :D
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

[abuse of power off-topic posting] Whilst I think about it; don't suppose you'd be able to help out with this, Si? -- http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=43063 [/abuse of power off-topic posting]
Turbo 07

Post by Turbo 07 »

Well, I've just not been pleased about the overall trend towards Paypal exclusivity because it's been so lopsided. They want these immediate payments (same day in some cases) but won't take a credit card so we get stuck paying for their convenience in the form of passed along Paypal fees. And then they take their sweet time mailing that toy with inflated "priority" shipping charges anyway. I guess I still have that mindset where I can send a check in a couple days to somebody on ATTM/eBay and use Visa/Mastercard with real businesses. When it gets here, it gets here, I don't get uppity about it until forced to.

I just think it would've been nice to get a reminder before having a dispute filed and I didn't expect to get the NPB closed within 24 hours of telling him I'd mail his money order tomorrow morning (US post offices operate under banker's hours). There's a world of difference between "oops, I forgot, your $4 is out with tomorrow's mail" and just not responding at all over a much larger bill. Not everyone's as patient/forgiving a seller as I am but come on. If I deserve anything, it's a negative feedback for being absent-minded and slow to pay.

Frankly, I think he's wasting his own time listing $4 toys on an eBay store or with a BIN option, because everyone _but_ him is making money on the transaction!

Eh, the whole exercise has been a wash anyway. It was generally impulsive and nobody I paid promptly bothered to leave feedback yet, so I haven't moved any closer to selling again. And, who's to say the next round of rule changes won't foist Paypal on everyone who's not a power seller? Looks like it's time to see what it takes to get an Amazon storefront up and running...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Turbo 07 wrote: They want these immediate payments (same day in some cases) but won't take a credit card
They don't have any choice, and it's worth reporting them as a non-performing seller -- it's in the regs that anyone offering PayPal can't refuse card transactions. Can dig up links to the official statement if you want, but in the meantime --

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:WH ... cd=2&gl=uk
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Xy ... cd=1&gl=uk
Turbo 07 wrote:If I deserve anything, it's a negative feedback for being absent-minded and slow to pay.
It's there to blacklist people who don't pay within the time requested, so it seems reasonable enough -- you just got caught by someone who wasn't prepared to take someone's word that the cheque/MO was in the post (possibly because they've heard that many times before -- apparently, most sellers find over 5% of their customers don't pay. I can only guess I've been lucky in that respect. Don't remember more than a couple of people who never got in contact...)
Turbo 07 wrote:Nobody I paid promptly bothered to leave feedback yet, so I haven't moved any closer to selling again.
There's no reason they should until you've posted feedback; if they give a positive first, they can't do anything about a buyer who demands a full/partial refund without returning the item or who negs because they didn't read the listing.

Personally I have tended to leave feedback first, based on a buyer's current feedback and what they've left for others -- it's friendly, and sticking the date of posting there saves bothering them with a separate email -- but it's not something a 'real' seller would be sensible to do.
Turbo 07 wrote:who's to say the next round of rule changes won't foist Paypal on everyone who's not a power seller? Looks like it's time to see what it takes to get an Amazon storefront up and running...
I think we're quickly going to reach the situation where no transactions are permitted that don't offer it as an option. Which'll kill pick-up auctions (it leads to cases where someone pays via PP, collects the item, then wins a PP refund because there's no proof of tracked postage.) After April, I think I'm going to wait until much later in the year to see how badly things go wrong before listing again.

Amazon's really easy to use for selling books, media, etc. Higher percentage cut taken in some cases, but no listing fees. It's just a shame they don't have equivalent services for general items.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Denyer wrote:They don't have any choice, and it's worth reporting them as a non-performing seller -- it's in the regs that anyone offering PayPal can't refuse card transactions. Can dig up links to the official statement if you want, but in the meantime --
That's why I don't use Paypalbay anymore. I was basically forced to upgrade my Paypal account to accept a CC payment, and I think that's bullshit. First, it forces you to let them get another cut of your auction. Secondly, it opens you up to a world of pain if the Engrish speaker on the other end is using a stolen credit card.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0193478936

Grrr.

[quote="bwacy"]Hie, the radio was sent to you on Monday by Royal Mail Standard mail which takes between 2-4 working days. I am sure you will receive them by Friday. I will be able to provide certifiate of postage if need be. I am sorry but this service does not provide online tracking. Ta

I'm curious why you chose that method, as first class on a 1.5kg parcel is £5.00 and standard parcel rate is £4.95... it's not really a saving.

Anyway, it got here -- unfortunately the radio refuses to come out of standby and there's no clock display. Were these tested apart from checking that they powered up? If they were, I'd suggest sending things out in additional packaging rather than just the original polystyrene for protection. And any suggestions? Ideally I'd prefer a working replacement rather than a refund, but the refund may be easier.

I would suggest, if you want verification, that I video and send evidence of the radio powered on and it refusing to respond, rather than waste time and postage on a PayPal claim. That'll only end up with me six quid down (as for PayPal to support a buyer or seller in a claim all items have to be sent tracked, but they refund the full amount minus return postage) and you with a broken radio with a fault that's unlikely to be user-serviceable, plus the two of us exchanging negative feedback.

Since you have the proof of posting, you should be in a position to refund me and claim the item as damaged (to a maximum value of £34, though RM may ask to see an eBay invoice and limit you to the sale price plus postage paid) -- and I'll be happy to assist with any paperwork they may ask me as recipient to fill out.

I will be able to provide certifiate of postage if need be.

A small tip for future: a seller is responsible for initiating a RM claim, as the contract isn't fulfilled until goods are in the buyer's possession in the condition they were advertised. Trust me, I've unfortunately had to make a couple due to items being lost / damaged.

I'd also point out that a county court would likely consider you a business seller -- i.e. buying to sell -- having four of the same radio listed and numerous other electricals, which under distance selling legislation only requires me to make the item available for collection]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think I've got a spare clock radio... :o
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think I'm going to buy a ~£3.50 clock radio from Argos, regardless of how this turns out. The novelty with this thing is that you can stick a USB flash drive into the front (and I like waking up to loud, shouty music.) If it worked, it'd be brilliant.