Spirited Away?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Blitzwing

Spirited Away?

Post by Blitzwing »

Well, its coming back to theatres here since it's won the Academy Award for best animated film. I never got a chance to see it during its first run.

Has anybody who's seen it reccomend it? Does the animation live up to the hype? Is the story to childish? How does it compare to other anime movies like Princess Mononoke and Ghost in the Shell?
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

its weird, but I liked it
Leader-1
Protoform

Post by Leader-1 »

It is really good. My dad, who had never seen an Anime until then, liked it. Him, Airazor and i might go see it again this weekend.
"That's just prime."- Optimus Primal

"Optimus Prime, your jewish?"- Peter Griffin
Leader-1
Protoform

Post by Leader-1 »

I saw it today, 2nd time i saw it, and it rocked more than i remembered.

" The rich man is coming, he's really hard to miss, his butt keeps getting bigger so there is more of it to kiss!"

Funny.

Ingraman
Protoform

Post by Ingraman »

Spirited Away is probably the best movie I've ever seen. The animation is amazing, and the storyline gets progressively darker (especially with the weird no-face). IMO, it's much better than Princess Mononoke (which I didn't like) and GiTS.
AHH!!!
wasabi
Protoform

Post by wasabi »

Spirited Away is amazing.... but I don't want to overhype it for you. I think that's the key. I expected a lot from Princess Mononoke and was a little...well I wouldn't say disappointed.. but let's say I was too geared up for it.

Anyway, the subtleties in the animation and the symbolism in the story makes Spirited Away worthwhile. Miyazaki's best! IMO much better than Mononoke. True, the film is more family oriented than Mononoke and less violent, but there are still some dark themes addressed in the movie. Think of a Japanese Alice in Wonderland with bizarre characters. And if you end up seeing the dub, never fear. Disney did a damn good job with it! The best anime dub period. :)

BTW don't even think about Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Akira, etc. Miyazaki films overall are much slower paced than most anime films.
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

I've seen it in the original japanese version.
hey it's a very recommendable movie.
it not only gets darker as it goes, the animation is one of the best from Studio Ghibli.

And there's more to the movie than just the story line, you have to "read in between the lines" since that movie is also criticize of the japanese actual society and life-style
BTW don't even think about Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Akira, etc. Miyazaki films overall are much slower paced than most anime films.

Miyazaki-sempai's movies are always more to relax and to reflection about some certain subjects, but overall, his movies are some of the best ones ever.

Anyways.. have you seen the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OVAs(movies)? the first four ones are slower and paced that the anime, and anyone could have expected somethin different.
Will you ever imagine from where you are, being a Mexican crossing the border? Thinking about your family while you pass, leaving everything you know behind.
Will you continue saying "good for nothing, beaners" if you ever had to begin from zero? -- From Molotov's song "Frijolero"
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

not as good as Laputa I'm afraid, though better than Princess Mononoke
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

My 55-year old English teacher had never seen anime before, but after seeing Spirited Away, he watched as many anime movies as he could get his hands on. I personally haven't seen it, but everyone I know who has gave it rave reviews. What I want to know is, how does it compare to Metropolis?
Autoprime720
Protoform

Post by Autoprime720 »

get it off kazaa...
Leader-1
Protoform

Post by Leader-1 »

It is much more fast paced and easier to understand than Metropolis, which is also a good film.

Ingraman
Protoform

Post by Ingraman »

Originally posted by Autoprime720
get it off kazaa...

...It's people like you who financially destroy anime movies in this country. Ok, you know what, let's all go download Spirited Away from Kazaa. That way, Disney won't get a cent and they'll never host an anime movie in the US again. WOOHOO!!
AHH!!!
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

Originally posted by Ingraman
...It's people like you who financially destroy anime movies in this country. Ok, you know what, let's all go download Spirited Away from Kazaa. That way, Disney won't get a cent and they'll never host an anime movie in the US again. WOOHOO!!

sounds good to me, that way they won't destroy the story by censoring most of it out and changing the meanings through crappy dubs ;)
Fenris
Protoform

Post by Fenris »

Spirited Away is a great movie.............like all Ghibli studio's movie.But not the greatest they have done
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

:glance:

Everything I have in my PC i got it on kazaa.

Besides, I don't care if Disney or any other company doesn't want to host an anime movie again...
I mean, it's better to see the original one without censors and cuts. :p

And... Gettint things on kazaa is cheaper :)
Will you ever imagine from where you are, being a Mexican crossing the border? Thinking about your family while you pass, leaving everything you know behind.
Will you continue saying "good for nothing, beaners" if you ever had to begin from zero? -- From Molotov's song "Frijolero"
Ingraman
Protoform

Post by Ingraman »

Originally posted by Nissan_X_004
Besides, I don't care if Disney or any other company doesn't want to host an anime movie again...
I mean, it's better to see the original one without censors and cuts. :p
....you think it's censored?

I personally enjoy seeing movies on the big screen. If you wanna download crappy movie files and watch them on your 15 inch monitor, fine with me. I'll just make sure some of my money goes to Studio Ghibli.
AHH!!!
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

You people are all wrong. Spirited Away is **** compared to Grave of the Fireflies.
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

I personally enjoy seeing movies on the big screen. If you wanna download crappy movie files and watch them on your 15 inch monitor, fine with me. I'll just make sure some of my money goes to Studio Ghibli.

I don't usualli like to see movies on the big screen, I'm anti-social, and i don't really like to go to the movies :p
As for where I see my movies... they're usually DVD quality and I watch them in my 40 inch TV :D
Besides, my work is to sub movie files from japanese to spanish or english, so I'm used to DivX files. ^__^v

If i knew my money goes to Studio Ghibli, then I'll very gladly buy the movie in a japanese DVD... but if the money goes to Buenavista International... mmmm.....
You people are all wrong. Spirited Away is **** compared to Grave of the Fireflies.

Oh c'mon Plasmodium, I already know that Grave of the Fireflies is much better than Spirited Away... but since the thread is about Spirited Away... :rolleyes:
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Doesnt matter, its still better.:p
Ingraman
Protoform

Post by Ingraman »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
Doesnt matter, its still better.:p

No one's questioning that Grave of the Fireflies is a great movie. But does that mean Spirited Away is ****? NO. It's not on the same level, but it's still an excellent movie. Probably one of the best from Studio Ghibli.
AHH!!!