Why is it so hard to find Combiner Wars Megatron?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Hound

Why is it so hard to find Combiner Wars Megatron?

Post by Hound »

Huh?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Amazon.com? Don't know how that works out with shipping to Canada, but it's a decent option for the UK (and they take care of import fees at their side). The only downside is that they're a bit inconsistent on what they'll ship internationally.
Hound

Post by Hound »

The people selling hm on Amazon want too bloody much for it.

Has he been in stores in Canada yet? Does anyone know?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Amazon themselves -- $47, which I think is RRP. Adding shipping and pre-paying import fees worked out at the usual price stuff would be over here.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Gene ... 00ND603UU/
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Easiest thing in this scenario is to find a contact in the US [where it has free shipping], get it to them, and ask them to ship it to you [that way it should also probably avoid customs].
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Yeah but even then it's looking like it'll cost around $70 for the thing with the shipping. I was hoping to spend no more than $60.

I was hopeful it just hadn't arrived in stores in Canada yet and it was just a matter of me waiting.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Where in Canada do you live? I'm up in New York and we've got some Megatrons here. I'm be willing to work out picking one up in store and posting him across the border if it'll be cheaper. They are about $45 USD here though, so not sure how much that'll help.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Hound wrote:Has he been in stores in Canada yet? Does anyone know?
I saw a bunch at my local TRU last weekend, but that was the first time. I think he's just starting to show up in most parts of the country, so it'll probably be a while before he's a common sight.

If you've never been there, Cybertron.ca's sightings forum is usually a good way to keep up with what's out where in Canada.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Ah, ok. Thanks Warcry.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Is it too late to go with a "because he's a Robot in Disguise" gag?

Apparently not. :up:
Wreck and Rule!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Ha!

If it makes you feel better, I've seen him precisely once here in the US.
Sades

Post by Sades »

He's not an exclusive is he?

I'll check the small Wal Mart nearby, but if you want to check the ghetto Wal Marts you're gonna need to head out to them yourself.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

I've seen him in TRU, Walmarts, 1 Target, and 2 K-Marts. He's a regular release.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Sweet socks. Well, if he's in the 'peg I'm sure he'll be here sooner rather than later.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I've noticed that a number of stores don't seem to have much for Combiner Wars even online. I've been to a couple Kmarts that seem to not be carrying ANY Transformers anymore. Target is very limited in what's online, and TRU seems to have actually pulled a bunch of their CW listings. Not sure why on any of them, but I find it curiouser and curiouser.

That said, I've seen both versions of Megatron a goodly number of times at a variety of stores, so they're out there.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Notabot wrote:I've noticed that a number of stores don't seem to have much for Combiner Wars even online. I've been to a couple Kmarts that seem to not be carrying ANY Transformers anymore.
Take Kmart with a grain of salt. They are rapidly heading into bankruptcy land again. They can't reliably stock ANYTHING these days. Most retailers here in the states have always had crappy online offerings. I remember not too long ago TRU having about 12 online listings on their website for Transformers figures.

What's more telling in my book is that we haven't actually seen anything past Defensor (with the exception of Devestator) in the CW line.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Thunderwave wrote:What's more telling in my book is that we haven't actually seen anything past Defensor (with the exception of Devestator) in the CW line.
Yup. The bricks and mortars shops over here are a mess of about half a dozen different Transformers lines and none of its shifting. This is a current sample of what's in my local TRU (which is one of the smaller branches)

Common Themes : Confusing duplication of figures - RID Strongarm is uiquitous to the exclusion of all else (does she ship in a case by herself?!) in deluxe, 1 Step Changer, some other vaguely deluxe looking thing and a Legends class toy. RID Grimlock - available as a big chunky impressive looking Leader style toy ... that's a massive one step changer, a Hero Mashers version of the same, plus OTC version. The Legends version is an odd recolour of a Prime Terrocon done up in AOE colours (?).

Loads and Loads of Legends toys from AoE/ RID/ G1 style on confusing interchangeable packaging (are they from the same line? a different line? I have no idea)

Hero Mashers. Heeeero Maaashers.

Remnants of other lines still hanging around that no one seems to want to put on clearance or farm out to end of the pier clearance retailers:

Assorted Movie Dino-Riders (or whatever they are called), plus simplified Deluxes mixed in with 'regular' Deluxes, including those confusing movie packages that have a bit of G1 artwork on for no good reason.

Loads Of FoC Cybertron stuff no -one wants (expensive Data Disk sets), FoC Deluxe Sideswipe and Starscream (loads!) Generations Legends Optimus/ Bumblebee twin packs by the trolley load, Prime Waves 1 & 2 Voyager toys (Usually Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime).

Cheap looking Prime Voyager Predaking vs Optimus two-pack, chromed Movie 'evolutions' 2 pack Of Classic Optimus (2006 - not 1984 like the box says) and Evasion Mode Optimus with lots of chrome.

Those horrible 12" non-transforming action figure versions of Optimus/ Bumblebee which may or may not be based on the Prime or Movie versions. On a par with Hasbro's equally p*ss poor looking range of 12" Spider-Man and Avengers figures.

Loads of Optimus Prime face masks

Masterpiece Sunstorm

Wave 1 Combiner Wars figures - which sold quickly but are now shelf warming with all the other stuff listed above.

Basically, there's too much bloody crap out there under the Transformers banner and by doing this 'a figure for each age group' thing in confusing packaging, they seem to have saturated the market with a load of stuff no one wants. Its just turned the brand into a horrible mess, and if I were a retailer, I don't think I could be arsed to fathom whats what out of all this product offering.

I would have thought the current simplfication we've seen in the CW toys would have been a more sensible thing for Hasbro to do rather than spaff out the same figure in a variety of different size classes with just simplicity to separate them.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

TRU is a shitshow anyways. I used to work for them so I got a nice, long look at how they do business. They don't send anything off to places like T.J. Maxx. They'll hold onto product that's obviously not moving and let it clog their isles and stores. It's part of why they are starting to get into money trouble. Too much of their stores are filled with dead product that won't sell. They are the retail store equivalent of a QVC hoarder.

Around here CW stuff isn't shelfwarming anywhere. There are a few Wave 1 guys kicking around, but it's usually only 1 or 2 of them. The only figure that's out in force is that wave 1 Optimus. Walmart has been pretty good about getting dead product off their shelves and loading up on newer stuff (with one baffling exception that has no CW stuff but the last wave of Generations in droves). Target is still holding onto the dream of selling AoE product with tons of it still around and very little newer product. I'm assuming they are resetting their toy isles at some point in the near future and most of that will go away.
Belcher

Post by Belcher »

Hound wrote:Yeah but even then it's looking like it'll cost around $70 for the thing with the shipping. I was hoping to spend no more than $60.

I was hopeful it just hadn't arrived in stores in Canada yet and it was just a matter of me waiting.
Have you tried ebay or other stores to compare the prices?
Hound

Post by Hound »

yep