Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I don't mind that FoC Bruticus doesn't exactly match the G1 design, as I understand he's meant to represent a Cybertronian version. And, the modes they gave them are not the usual copout that the 'Cybertronian' prefix usually tries to excuse. I have never seen any images from the game, let alone played it, so I don't have any issues about accuracy there either. (Perhaps this is one of the reasons the Prime figures are my favourite line ever - I have no idea what the show was like, but love the designs, although I am not seriously comparing the generally sublime Prime designs to Bruticus who is undoubtedly inferior to probably all of that line!)

Point taken on Onslaught though - he is a bit pants. I actually like Blast-Off's shoulders thought. Seem '80s to me. ;)

And I tend to have the limbs in the alternative arrangement as well. I like to have the cannon-shoulder thing going on. Gives Bruticus a shot against Omega Supreme (before Omega lifts him up and hurls him to oblivion of course).

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Maybe Onslaught does something amazing to improve the toy, but I would say the Impactor version is comfortably the worst Transformer I've bought since my mad completest Energon days, possibly the worst one I've ever owned. I'm not aware of another Transformer that has a face for a bum.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Bruticus aside...

Just now I took pictures of the Beast Wars toys invading my table (because I love Beast Wars) before I put them back on the shelves. And of course while copying them from my camera to my laptop half of the pictures disappeared. I'm not about to transform that god damned Dead End a second time, so you're just going to have to live without seeing him in beast mode.

EDIT: I also took pictures for Cryo Scourge from the Cybertron line who's been hanging around who I then proceeded to insult. TL;DR he sucks.

Anyway...

Polar Claw and Geckobot. Polar Claw is one of the best BW toys I own even if his left beast-mode feet can no longer stay undeployed. He's just so full of random gimmicks! Two robot faces! Saber toothed polar bear! Autotransforming bat! Giant claw that will maul your face! And he's posable and turns into a nice fat bear as well. My Polar Claw, like almost all my BW toys, is loose and he's got a few loose joints and paint, but that just means someone had a fun time playing with the majestic Polar Claw.

On the other side of the spectrum is Geckobot from Beast Machines, who is a decent, colourful flying lizard but an extremely shit robot.

Here they are joined with the beast mode of Botcon Dirge, who I've showed off before. Dirge has misassembled mandibles that makes him look like he has an evil cowboy mustache. I do love Dirge not just because he's a Botcon toy -- his Repugnus beast mode is pretty fun and while his robot mode is so-so it's not terrible either.

From the left to right: BWN Dead End, BWN Guiledart and Dirge, in robot modes. Dead End is the ultimate shellformer. I really love that crazy head with a tentacle-scalp and I do like his robot mode -- one of those shells that hang off his shoulders is a missile, by the way -- and he turns into an ammonite by squeezing all his robot mode except for the squid head like a goddamn puzzle into those two shells. It took me the better part of thirty minutes to do that.

Guiledart I've talked about enough -- suffice to say he's a lot better than AOE Slug. Dirge is awesome.

Prowl, Torca and Ramulus.

Three really solid deluxe class toys, other than Polar Claw I think these three make up my favourite toys from the Beast Wars era. Ramulus just looks so ready to pick a scrap with that expression, he has satyr-like goat feet, Wolverine claws and that weird pincer-scythe weapon thing. His goat mode is not bad either, being pretty intricately sculpted and being posable in general.

Torca is awesome in beast mode. He's not a gigantic monster like the Beast Wars comics made him out to be but he's still a goddamned behemoth monster that impresses me every time I transform him. Gold plastic sucks, though -- mine hasn't broken yet but I'm always careful with him. He's got weak robot hands and beast hind feet, but that's okay because Torca's awesome.

Prowl is awesome in both modes. I wished the robot hands are hidden better in beast mode and there is some way to lock the wing assembly down in robot mode, but he's awesome nonetheless. All three Maximals are just pretty posable all around, have solid beast modes and have an inordinate amount of detailing all over.

Bad guys! Clockwise from the top left is the Dread Elder God Demonbee Injector, Retrax giving Terrorstrafe a big hug, Powerpinch and Spittor.

Injector is just a hilarious little ****er that turns into the ugliest thing alive and it's soulless eyes and generally being what he is made him so hilarious. I had to have him. He's awesome in that 'how the hell did this get out of the design sketches' way. There's not enough madness in current transformer lines because Injector ate all of them. Injector's a rather sub-par deluxe with a big head that kind of affects his robot mode and big robot feet jutting out of his beast mode, but more than makes up for it with the sheer insanity that makes his existence.

Retrax is another awesome crazy thing. His robot mode basically just folds out from under that pillbug, but I have never transformed Retrax more than twice after getting him. Retrax's bug mode is solely why I got him -- it's a cute little monster of a thing that has the gimmick of hugging people to death, and it's got these adorable monstrous fangs. Retrax is a shit transformer, but possibly the cutest and most adorabliestest of my entire collection.

Powerpinch! He gets outshone in the insanity department by the likes of Injector, Dead End, Retrax and the rest, but he's a really solid toy. He's a great robot, he's a great bug. Unfortunately next to all the insanity that is Beast Wars being a solid toy kind of gets you sidelined. I've grown really fond of Powerpinch over the years, though.

Spittor! Spittor turns into a frog, and has an awesome-looking robot mode with long gorilla-frog arms. He can be a four-armed robot as well! He makes a really fun and colourful frog mode, and his gimmick consists of him shooting out his robot head on the tip of his tongue. Also everyone in this photo is made out of painted clear plastic, so when you shine on them in the dark it's like they're radioactive. And it's awesome.

Man I love Beast Wars toys.

**** Geckobot, though. He sucks.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:I haven't dug out Rampage in months, but he's pretty easy to figure out. The hands turn into the treads (there's one dummy chink that threw me off), the claws turn into spikes on the back, everything pegs at the bottom and the shovel kibble fold into place. It's annoying to figure out how they fold together, especially since some parts like those pistons just hang off randomly in vehicle mode, but it's nowhere like Mixmaster where he's just a mass of joints and how the hell did the truck cab get like that and where's the missile launcher even supposed to go and I'm just not sure if I'm going to snap something off.
As opposed to Rampage, with his legs springing out for no good reason, his shovel falling off and why the hell won't he sit flat on the ground none of his parts will tuck in any closer what the hell?

Battle Blades Prime was also a nightmare, at least the first few times through.
Blackjack wrote:Torca is awesome in beast mode. He's not a gigantic monster like the Beast Wars comics made him out to be but he's still a goddamned behemoth monster that impresses me every time I transform him. Gold plastic sucks, though -- mine hasn't broken yet but I'm always careful with him. He's got weak robot hands and beast hind feet, but that's okay because Torca's awesome.
Mine is just on the precipice of exploding. If I ever transform him again, I think he'll be a goner.
Blackjack wrote:Prowl is awesome in both modes. I wished the robot hands are hidden better in beast mode and there is some way to lock the wing assembly down in robot mode, but he's awesome nonetheless. All three Maximals are just pretty posable all around, have solid beast modes and have an inordinate amount of detailing all over.
Prowl is cool! But dammit, would a couple of "teeth" to lock those wings in place really have killed them? It's driven me nuts for over fifteen years now.

Here are a few toys from the line's post-ROTF golden age:

Image Image

Hasbro was all "Sea Spray is totally the G1 guy" when the toy came out, though he doesn't really fit in very well with the lineup nowadays. A version of the character adapted into the proto-Prime style that most of the 2010 new molds used? Sure. But a "classics" version of the G1 guy? Nah. Just goes to show how standards have changed over the years, I suppose.

That's not to say that I don't like him, though. He's a nice, chunky, straightforward Voyager, one of the better molds from that era in his class. He's got adequate articulation, his robot mode carries off the "deep sea diver" look nicely and his alt-mode is much more detailed and functional than any other hovercraft the line has ever done. I quite like that he was designed to carry around Scout-class toys, and he works quite well with smaller figures too.

In particular, Breacher was marketed as Sea Spray's tiny counterpart. And he does work well with his larger partner, though they'd make a better team if Hasbro had made an effort to colour-match the toys' dark blue parts to one another. Beyond his alleged interactivity with the larger toy, Breacher is a neat little "pocket" version of Universe Onslaught, sharing the bigger guy's alt-mode and 90% of his transformation. He's a bit busy, and a bit too complex for his small size, but he's a cool little figure from an era that had lots of them.

Hubcap is, frankly, great. One of my top two or three favourite Scouts. He's a lovely classic car and his transformation is a nice take on the traditional Jazz-style Autobot scheme. He pulls off the old-looking robot mode way better than Ransack, since his looks don't interfere with his functionality the way the poor old plane's did. He's nicely poseable and fun to muck around with, and like the Universe Legend Brawn he gets bonus points for being something I can absentmindedly transform in a few seconds while watching a TV show or something.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

@ Blackjack : Aww, I'm jealous of your white Prowl. Over here he came out as a black/ blue variant colour and its just far too dark! Retrax is fun, but a royal pain in the ass with his spring loaded mechanisms. Torca is indeed awesome (and looks to me like he should have been a lot bigger than he actually turned out) and Powerpinch is a sexy wee dude.

Some other stuffs from me...!

Beast Wars Scorponok
My first BW purchase (along with Inferno) and is now loose as hell. He's the toy counterpart for the Predacons of Polar Claw, with his launching Cyber Bee and tail slashy action (which works in robot mode too!). The gimmicks here work a lot better than on Polar Claw - which I put down to the choice of beast mode. The nice black and red colour palette is lovely too!

Beast Wars Insecticon
I love this little guy! The beast mode is excellent, I love the slightly sparkly blue plastics mixed with the solid green of the limbs. The weapon storage is superb and the robot mode is a proper creepy little thing. Love his crossbow weapon too.

Beast Wars Cheetor
Like a lot of the Maximal toys, the designers have struggled a bit with the beast mode (its far too blocky and bulky for a Cheetah), but he is a great toy to play with. A nice, slick transformation, neat weapon storage and a decent, posable robot form. He's a little kibbly, but it adds to the charm. Shame Hasbro chickened out of colouring his 'gut gun' - parents might have been turned off, but I bet kids would have loved it!

Generation 2 Ramjet
PURPLE DEATH - WITH SOUNDS!!!!! (and er, a replacement missile since I took these pictures)

RiD Rail Racer
The combined form of TEAM BULLET TRAIN. I like the individual bots, but they are all quite lanky and weird looking. Unsurprising, given that they all turn into trains, but then they crack out this beefy gestalt which is one of the greatest combiners in the history of Transformers. It's a shame that this level of though and ingenuity has been lost somewhere along the way and the best Hasbro have been able to do in the last ten years is terrible arse like ROTF Devastator and the unstable wibbliness of FoC Bruticus.
Attachments
Rail Racer.JPG
Ramjet 01.jpg
Beast Wars 064.jpg
Beast Wars 060.jpg
Stuff 016.jpg
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

What else to throw in......

RTS Jazz: At least I think he was RTS. I got the Reprolabel sticker set for him, so he looks a bit better now. He just looks so awesome. My only complaint with the figure, and I'm surprised none of the third party designers jumped on this, is the vehicle mode wing. Either that, or I'm just picky.

Generations Wheeljack: Or possibly RTS. I still don't know why they did this. I hated the stupid rub signs the first time around, what made them think I'd welcome them with open arms almost 30 years later? But Wheeljack is a brilliant design. Works much better for him than for Tracks.

Animated Hot Rod: Yeah, I know, technically he's Rodimus, but the design just screams Hot Rod. I love the little guy. I can't play with him, though. I've got the Japanese version, which was painted. And I'm really worried about the paint flaking off. It was coming off the corners in the packaging.

Animated Ironhide: A very nice Ironhide figure. It would have been nice if they'd given him a different weapons loadout(using Ratchet's shock paddles as brass knuckles? Really?), but he's got a neat vehicle mode and a nice vibe to him.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
numbat

Post by numbat »

Ah... ROTF Mixmaster. Will have to dig him out later. On second thoughts...

What a mess of a toy indeed. He does look pretty screen accurate in both modes. Well, from the front in robot mode. But he has a truck cab hanging off his bum! That is lazy given the mad complexity of the rest of the figure.

I gave one of these to a friend's kid back in 2009. When I was visiting a few weeks ago, my friend said to him 'Go get your Transformers, Chris will fix them.' Mixmaster was beyond fixing!

ROTF Leader Prime was also amongst the kid's Transformers needing help. I sorted him quickly, but I don't think he's got much play value for kids. Absolutely phenomenal figure for a collector though.

ROTF figures are largely beyond what kids can transform, let alone have fun with. I even think twice before getting Mixmaster out, because I know the frustration that will ensue, despite transforming him loads.

I think it's good that Hasbro have simplified Transformers since ROTF, but think they may have gone too far with AoE Generations (Leader Prime is quite sad, while Lockdown is a simplified version of DOTM Roadbuster and High Octane Bumblebee is a simplified version of his DOTM figure - yet they have higher age limits on the box). After all, it is meant to be the complex line, while there are plenty of simplified lines for kids alongside this. I do still prefer a Transformer I can pick up and have fun with that has compromises than one which has two great modes but needs time blocked out of your schedule to actually transform though.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:Aww, I'm jealous of your white Prowl. Over here he came out as a black/ blue variant colour and its just far too dark!
I had the white version of Prowl as a kid (well, teen anyway) and never even knew the darker one existed. Now whenever I see pics of it, the black-and-blue Prowl just causes my brain to scream wrong and I don't know why. Other repaints from that era have the same impact on me, or at least Bump, Sandstorm and Double Punch, who are rececos of toys I owned as a kid. I don't understand it...repaints from any other era don't do that, but for some reason I just can't cope with some BW ones.
Skyquake87 wrote:Beast Wars Scorponok
My first BW purchase (along with Inferno) and is now loose as hell. He's the toy counterpart for the Predacons of Polar Claw, with his launching Cyber Bee and tail slashy action (which works in robot mode too!). The gimmicks here work a lot better than on Polar Claw - which I put down to the choice of beast mode. The nice black and red colour palette is lovely too!
He was one of my first beasties, too! I don't have a very high opinion of him, because I found him very top-heavy and his joints (on mine at least) were too loose to do much posing. I do one day want to repair his broken tail, though.

Agreed about the gimmicks though, his were way more fitting than Polar Claw's.

I lavished praise on Insecticon a few pages back, so I won't do so again. Suffice it to say I think he's great. The original Cheetor has a certain charm to it too, in spite of being fairly primitive.
Heinrad wrote:RTS Jazz
His paint job (or lack thereof, really) was a downer for me, but the mold is great and I love it after I painted the rims and grille.
Heinrad wrote:Generations Wheeljack: Or possibly RTS. I still don't know why they did this.
They thought it'd help them get all the molds out before DOTM hit, not that it turned out to do much good since so many of them went straight to clearance/never showed up in some markets at all. I'm quite fond of the Wheeljack mold, as proven by how I own five of them (and really need to get around to painting them...)

Recently, I pulled out my video game toys...

Image Image

(Most of them, anyway...I seem to have disassembled Soundwave for some reason and can't be bothered to pull out that horribly complicated-to-transform Prime.)

I'm not a huge fan of the video game design style, to be honest, so I was surprised to find that I was actually pretty impressed by these guys once I put them all together in a group!

Shockwave is a really nice take on the design, and probably the closest to his original self. I do think he's too small, though, because he (unlike far too many modern Shockwaves) actually replicates the original's slender legs and arms. When he's taller than everyone, that makes him unconventional but imposing. When he's the same height as your average Autobot car, he just looks delicate. It's a shame that Grimlock and the tapedecks had the FoC Voyager slots locked down, because he would be improved immensely by being bigger (and, er, not using that odd gritty plastic). He's wonderfully poseable and looks cool, though, so I guess he can go menace some Cyberverse guys?

I actually do like Starscream, but he's a terrible Starscream. The design looks so little like his traditional character model that I couldn't tell who it's meant to be if you'd done him up in random non-seeker colours. And since all the other video game models are just beefier/spikier versions of the G1 designs, Starscream really doesn't work for me. He's got a cool transformation, good articulation and great accessories, though.

As much as Hasbro tell us "the video games are in Prime continuity", it's pretty clear that both the game designers and toy designers are referencing G1 and movie designs a lot more. One guy that fits in nicely with Prime stuff, though, is Kickback. He doesn't look like a G1 character at all, but his minimalist robot design and big, burly bug mode fit what was on the TV show quite well. I like the robot mode quite a bit, but insect mode has never worked for me. It's just a mess, doesn't really look like anything and doesn't do anything in spite of having lots of joints.

Brawl is a bit of a disaster, as others have chronicled in this thread already. Although I really liked his game design (which draws both from the G1 and Movie characters) and I really like how his tank mode turned out, but the robot mode with its huge backpack is pretty dire. I wish they'd made a version of him for the first game, so that they hadn't needed to worry about making him combine with anyone and could just concentrate on making a good Brawl.

Ratbat is adorable but essentially an ornament.

The real gem of the group, however, is Megatron. I like that he's an off-white instead of the flat grey that they often use, I love the freaking gigantic fusion cannon, and I love how the design melds the G1 and movie versions of the character into a nice, cohesive whole. He looks dangerous, threatening and imposing, just like a bad guy should. I like his alt-mode, too -- the design emphasizes the cannon, really playing up how powerful it is. The only thing I'm not sold on are the forearms, which transform awkwardly, have a strange angle to them and result in hands that aren't very useful.

Image Image
Clay

Post by Clay »

inflatable dalek wrote: I'm not aware of another Transformer that has a face for a bum.
I can think of at least two more. The Legends class movie Mixmaster has the entire Devastator head just hanging there, and Beast Wars Snapper has a wee little turtle head poking out.

Surely we need to catalog these.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Clay knows his bums.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clay

Post by Clay »

I am a fan :o

I dug out Stockade and Landmine from the first movie line. Stockade is fairly straightforward, with great big huge arms. He seems like a thug or body guard. Landmine is, of course, outstanding. Articulate! Detailed! Working shock absorbers! Skater feet! But more than that, these two (and Incinerator) represent a trend that one would have hoped would have continued through all the movie lines instead of dying out very quickly. They represent prominent vehicles from the first movie that weren't actually robots. Stockade is the SUV the Sector 7 guys use to pick up Megan Fox and others, and Landmine is the jeep thing the Sector 7 guys had at the dam. Contrast that with, say, Dark of the Moon, where not even every robot got a figure, let alone Sam's yellow junker or the other cars in the museum. It's a shame, really... they could have been neat.
Attachments
movie_2.jpg
movie_1.jpg
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

I've got those guys as Gears and Armorhide. I wish in retrospect I had picked up Stockade when he was out, but I like the Gears ascetic enough. Supposedly for this movie thy are supposed to release a redeco of the Generation Skids mold as the rally car Lucky Charms drives. Personally I want one of those Cemetery Wind cars as a Transformer.

Two more, with photos!

Cybertron Red Alert: Big, chunky, and with huuuuuge storage shins. I like the Robocop-esqe look of him. Plus he's got shoulder guns when you use a key! He's also got one of the strangest transformations I've seen with his legs being made of the front and back of his truck mode.

Cruellock: Rawr! I'm a wanna-be Godzillia! One of the things I liked about some of the basics is how absurd the robot modes are. Cruellock and Ravage obviously had robot modes just kind of tacked on.

Also, his weapons work well with Prime Dead End! Same shade of green as his windows and the pain on the blade is the same shade as the orange on Dead End.

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

DOTM is the only one who doesn't have any toys made from the on-screen vehicles, other than, I think, Air Raid... who himself was made from the mushroom-topped control airplane that directed the Scorponok battle from the first movie anyway.

The first movie's got Longarm (partly based on a game design as well), Landmine (who is freaking awesome), Stockade and Incinerator. Plus both Cybertron toy repaints Jetstorm and Wingblade are designed to resemble fighter jets from the movie.

ROTF's got Brawn, Stratosphere and Depth Charge, plus Seaspray and Breacher from the 2010 lines. IIRC Mindwipe's based on the F117 stealth jet briefly seen in the first movie's opening scene as well.

All the non-show toys from Movie and ROTF are either game tie-ins (Swindle, Payload, Longarm, Dreadwing, Dirt Boss) or rejected designs that look fairly similar to the movie aesthetic anyway (Wreckage, Arcee, Ransack, Depth Charge again etc)

AOE's got Rollbar (Lucky Charm's car), and the Cemetery Wind cars have toys as 'Vehicon' in the Robots in Disguise subline... but AOE doesn't have much non-show characters in the toyline beyond rejected Dinobots anyway.

The only non-movie-based toys from DOTM are Air Raid (based on first movie jet), Powerglide, Guzzle (G1 homages), Skyhammer and Flak (both randoms). EDIT: DOTM's got the Human Alliance toys which I totally forgot -- there's that one futuristic motorcycle based on the ROTF NEST cycles seen in Shanghai.
Clay

Post by Clay »

numbat wrote:I don't mind that FoC Bruticus doesn't exactly match the G1 design, as I understand he's meant to represent a Cybertronian version. And, the modes they gave them are not the usual copout that the 'Cybertronian' prefix usually tries to excuse. I have never seen any images from the game, let alone played it, so I don't have any issues about accuracy there either. (Perhaps this is one of the reasons the Prime figures are my favourite line ever - I have no idea what the show was like, but love the designs, although I am not seriously comparing the generally sublime Prime designs to Bruticus who is undoubtedly inferior to probably all of that line!)

Point taken on Onslaught though - he is a bit pants. I actually like Blast-Off's shoulders thought. Seem '80s to me. ;)

And I tend to have the limbs in the alternative arrangement as well. I like to have the cannon-shoulder thing going on. Gives Bruticus a shot against Omega Supreme (before Omega lifts him up and hurls him to oblivion of course).
Hmm. You might want to consider the Boosticus kit. It was made by a customizer over on the Radicon forum with a CAD program and prototyped and revised through Shapeways prints. Then, by popular demand, he contracted a third party manufacturer to have them produced en masse. It looks like this:

ImageImage

And all the new parts connect together to make a trailer for Onslaught:
ImageImage

Brawl benefits the most singly with some new heels:
ImageImage

And a flamethrower attachment as seen in the game is included:

Obviously the combined mode is the biggest improvement since that was the general point of the project. In a roundabout way, it solves a lot of the problems of proportion by adding mass to Onslaught, essentially adding another size class's worth of stuff. I got the G2 version as that's the version of the FOC Combaticons I like best anyway, and am overall very pleased with the effect. It appears that you can polish crap into something worthwhile. :)
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

I remembered seeing you had that upgrade kit in one of the threads, been meaning to ask how good it ended up being. Sounds like it turned out well. Guess I'll have to try to snag one for my G2 set at somepoint, when I have the spare cash
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Thunderwave wrote:Cybertron Red Alert: Big, chunky, and with huuuuuge storage shins. I like the Robocop-esqe look of him. Plus he's got shoulder guns when you use a key! He's also got one of the strangest transformations I've seen with his legs being made of the front and back of his truck mode.
I've got him as Classics (2007 Movie) Crankcase. As you said, good, chunky mold. I never thought about the odd transformation before, but you're right. The split legs are pretty interesting.

And the non-fist hand with the attachments reminds me of Roboto from He-Man. All good fun!
Blackjack wrote:ROTF's got Brawn, Stratosphere and Depth Charge, plus Seaspray and Breacher from the 2010 lines. IIRC Mindwipe's based on the F117 stealth jet briefly seen in the first movie's opening scene as well.

All the non-show toys from Movie and ROTF are either game tie-ins (Swindle, Payload, Longarm, Dreadwing, Dirt Boss) or rejected designs that look fairly similar to the movie aesthetic anyway (Wreckage, Arcee, Ransack, Depth Charge again etc)
Seaspray is a good one. See below!

And Wreckage was pretty awesome too, but maybe that was just the artic camo.
Clay wrote:Hmm. You might want to consider the Boosticus kit. It was made by a customizer over on the Radicon forum with a CAD program and prototyped and revised through Shapeways prints. Then, by popular demand, he contracted a third party manufacturer to have them produced en masse.
Wow. That upgrade kit makes Bruticus fairly awesome. That and the G2 designs. I already sold off my FoC Bruticus because it just wasn't that much fun to me. Chunky limbs here and there, spindly waist & thighs. All the individual toys were rather crap, IMO. The rainbow colors that didn't match the game or any other Bruticus offering didn't help either. Had the retail version came out looking like that kit, I would have kept him around.

And a few pics from me (see attached):

The above mentioned Seaspray from HFTD is a solid toy. He's even got ski feet, but at least they make sense on him - and the flippers are just fantastic! Boosting Seaspray up to the Voyager class really helped this figure. I never got Breacher to go with him though I saw him at stores quite a few times. For whatever reason, he just didn't click for me. Luckily, any small vehicles still work with him - even newer ones like Swerve!

That last photo attached is something I have been wanting to post on this thread for a while: updated versions of my small childhood collection of TF's (and a Gobot) from the late 80's, missing a few that I don't currently have (Powerglide, Guzzle, Tantrum, and a bunch of Gobots). I used to have the DOTM versions of Powerglide & Guzzle, but didn't really care for the toys much and now they're in someone else's collection. The other week I did a count of what I had as a kid and was surprised at the number of Gobots to Transformers I had - it was about even!

Anyways, quite a few of these guys have been mentioned here previously, but I have to give it up for Cyclonus, which is a fantastic Transformer. The alt mode is a bit holey on the back end, but I think it does a great job of looking like the original. And he's so jointed and balanced you can get him into fantastic positions. Another one I fancy is Grapple, which as a toy isn't that great. However, he was one that I absolutely loved as a kid, and the updated version is one of my faves. The giant crane arm is kind of a pain in the ass, and I wish they had given the option to peg it to his back somehow. A gun would have been helpful too. Even with his faults, I still thoroughly enjoy him. :D
Attachments
photo12_zps03ff9e83.jpg
photo22_zps3cdfb9e7.jpg
photo32_zpsdee279d0.jpg
photo41_zpsa39f891e.jpg
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Clay wrote:Hmm. You might want to consider the Boosticus kit. It was made by a customizer over on the Radicon forum with a CAD program and prototyped and revised through Shapeways prints. Then, by popular demand, he contracted a third party manufacturer to have them produced en masse.
A friend showed me the existence of this product which was what spurred me to buy the G2 Bruticus in the first place.

But, uh, thanks to shipping laws and import laws and stuff like that a lot of toys ordered online ended up getting stuck in the docks and with the toy import laws being all cuccoo back then I ended up cancelling the only third party product I really wanted.

It's a freaking shame, though, since if I had known the final Bruticus product won't look like, well, that, I wouldn't have bothered in the first place.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:I've got him as Classics (2007 Movie) Crankcase. As you said, good, chunky mold. I never thought about the odd transformation before, but you're right. The split legs are pretty interesting.
I'm quite fond of Crankcase myself. His design isn't up to modern standards, but I love that they made him out of a toy that had a bit of a "pathetic" look to it to match the character. He's even got the Triggercon gimmick intact!
ganon578 wrote:Another one I fancy is Grapple, which as a toy isn't that great.
...is that my old Grapple, or was it a different Archiver I shipped him off to? Either way I still think he's godawful, though I don't begrudge other people enjoying him one bit. :)
ganon578 wrote:Anyways, quite a few of these guys have been mentioned here previously, but I have to give it up for Cyclonus, which is a fantastic Transformer. The alt mode is a bit holey on the back end, but I think it does a great job of looking like the original. And he's so jointed and balanced you can get him into fantastic positions.
Funny you should mention Cyclonus...

Image Image

He's great, obviously, but what I really want to do is talk about him and Scourge as a unit.

Pretty much everyone agrees that Universe Galvatron is awful, and I couldn't even be bothered to dig him out for pictures. Heck, I'm not even sure I still have him! But these two!

Cyclonus is a spot-on reproduction of his 80s design, leaning very close to the cartoon model but using colours closer to the toy. I love how that turned out, but I can see why others would prefer the brighter Takara or RTS versions of the toy. He's got great poseability and I love his alt-mode, though like ganon I wish his legs closed up better when they form his tail-section. He looks like death on wings, though. Nightstick is also great, and puts the recent Targetmasters who came with Scoop and the Legends to shame.

Scourge, on the other hand, is a total reinvention of the character. His alt-mode is a flying wing space bomber thing instead of a bathtub, and while they did the best they could to replicate his robot mode, the lines do change some because he doesn't have nearly as many excess parts to turn into his bat-wings. He's a very nice updating of the character though. I like his looks a bit better than Cyclonus, though Cyclonus wins hands down in the articulation department.

But the problem is that they don't match! At all! Not one little bit! One of them is a Targetmaster and the other isn't. One of them has a spot-on G1-accurate alt-mode, the other has a quasi-realistic Earth mode. One is a simple reproduction of the original design, the other is a modern updating of it. And these are two characters who (MTMTE aside) are practically never seen apart in fiction, so to me at least stuff like that matters!

In a perfect world, whoever designed Scourge would have been given a brief to design a toy that would match the already-existing Cyclonus -- Targetmaster and bathtub alt-mode included. It seems to be impossible to ask for any sort of consistency within thematic groups when it comes to the Generations line, though. Just look at the new Shrapnel and the upcoming Bombshell -- Hasbro apparently couldn't even be bothered to colour-match the paints and plastic used for two characters who are supposed to have the same scheme, released within a year of each other.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Cyclonus and Scourge are awesome!

Galvatron has been banished to the back of the rack to the space that is "Between Bruticus' Legs", so Cyclonus and Scourge has to homage the Marvel UK comics and are hanging around Fall of Cybertron Shockwave. All three are secretly glad I don't pay attention enough to Marvel toys to buy a Death's Head.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I have RTS Cyclonus and I'm really torn on him. I like the robot mode and the Targetmaster, but the alt mode is just a mess. Cyclonus is supposed to be this sleek, vast aircraft thingy and instead we get this fat barrel shaped mess that's a jumble of split in half legs and pinned into position arms. It looks terrible. I also don't like that one of Cyclonus' hands is incapable of holding his weapon.