BotCon toy reveals

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Generally best to link to the page images are on, to mirror to a free host, or to upload attachments here.

There are extensions for most browsers to mirror to a free host in a couple of clicks... for example: http://imgur.com/apps
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Hey, it's Skids and Swerve. That's cool. No clue who you could get from the former, but there's an obvious Gears repaint with the latter.

And a Whirl and Tailgate are on the way, too? So much MTMTE love going around. Have no urge to pick any of them up, but it's still kinda neat :)

No new Rodimus to go with them?

Ugh, that Doubledealer redeco... Yeah, that's unexpected, I'll give it that. I agree, Flywheels probably would've been the better choice.

Mind, I'm something of DD nut, so maybe I'm a little biased, but it really isn't doing anything for me. None of the modes are doing anything for me. I don't like it.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:I dunno... I think they might be onto something with trying to make the "kid" figures a bit simpler. The more complex figures just don't seem to be making the connection. While that Bee looks crappy there's plenty of wriggle-room in the equation and if Generations is there to stave off nerd rage what's the harm? Sales will be the telling factor; I'd suspect a lot more parents would go for something simple that they'll be able to do. I don't like the idea of Transformers being intimidating for under-10s, because I wouldn't be here now if it had been and neither would most of you.
Well, I don't think anyone is against the idea of simpler designs as a whole. The criticism comes from the fact that they're just enlarging things that were designed to be half the size. The Legends toys work since, at their size and price, the simplification and lack of detail are expected. But if they just enlarge the toys as they're doing, all those flaws are enlarged with them and the whole thing just looks cheap.

As I say, the movie lines (well, at least the first two) got the spring-loaded fast-action battlers or whatever they were called, and they filled that niche. They also seemed to sell poorly next to the 'regular' transformers. Making the beast hunters even cheaper looking isn't going to help them, so I still think they'll die off in two or three waves.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Thinking about it, the real telling thing isn't that we're getting MTMTE inspired toys (Skids may have had a certain inevitability about him, but Swerve and Tailgate out before Gears and Windcharger? That wouldn't have happened two years ago. Plus Swerve even looks like he's holding a pint) but there doesn't seem to a single RID one [i.e., not counting the characters in both books that have gone the other way and been shoved in to promote a forthcoming toy like Goldbug or Dreadwing].

Any word on whether the pack in comics are continuing? We might get that Spotlight: Whirl after all.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Sorry about that. I was tired and not thinking.
Cliffjumper wrote:I dunno... I think they might be onto something with trying to make the "kid" figures a bit simpler. The more complex figures just don't seem to be making the connection. While that Bee looks crappy there's plenty of wriggle-room in the equation and if Generations is there to stave off nerd rage what's the harm? Sales will be the telling factor; I'd suspect a lot more parents would go for something simple that they'll be able to do. I don't like the idea of Transformers being intimidating for under-10s, because I wouldn't be here now if it had been and neither would most of you.
Once I got some sleep and thought about this I came to the same conclusion. I'm hoping it works for them, honestly.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

there are still better ways to simple than taking inspiration from poundshop knock off merchants, though. As, er fansproject are demonstrating with their retro pretend G1 characters they've devised.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Hmmm. Interesting choices all around.

Won't be getting any of the BH stuff since I don't really want to crack into anything other than Classics-ish figures. But on that front, I will most likely get Skids (though the face is really human-esque) and Dreadwing, and for sure I will get Swerve because he looks soooo good. Glad I never bit on the GDO version. Cosmos is pretty nice looking too, but I may pass. Most likely I will cave on Goldbug just for fun when I see him in person, but the mold doesn't really excite me that much. The Voyagers are rather blah to me. Rhinox looks good, but I don't have much interest in the BW stuff. Waspinator is pretty neat looking though...
numbat

Post by numbat »

Some interesting stuff there - but not all 'interesting' good.

I really love the look of Generations Swerve and Skids (despite the elfish face). Dreadwing is also a much better homage to the G2 figure than the Tokyo Toy Show exclusive (despite nor having Smokescreen or the signature shoulder gatling missile launcher) and I'll probably get him too. Legends Cosmos looks good, but I'm already happy with the Universe 2.0 version - I'm not sure what the need was for another, while other classic characters remain untouched. I could end up picking up the IDW Megatron Origin styled Legends figure in a moment of weakness (I'm currently enjoying reading the comics) but could go either way.

Voyager BW Rhinox looks amazing - very well done. But I really have no interest in Transformers that turn into realistic animals (although invertebrates can work better than vertebrates). Still, well done to the designers. Despite liking Transformers that turn into invertebrates, Waspinator has never really done anything for me.

Generations Doubledealer is awful. I am a big fan of Doubledealer, and would no doubt pick up any homage to him that's half decent, but that thing is not even quarter decent. The mould does not work, no matter how much paint effort is put in (I can see they have tried as much as they can - it's just a stupid idea in the first place that could never work). And, of course, he's missing his signature shoulder missile - what's with everyone missing their shoulder weapons?

And on to Beast Hunters - what a disappointment! The Prime lines have been my favourite Transformers toys ever. Especially RID, but Beast Hunters has been pretty good (well, based on Deluxe Smokescreen, Deluxe Ripclaw and Ultimate Predaking - still awaiting more, and no in to the remoulds). Don't get me wrong, First Edition are amazingly engineered, but they're not much use for kids. So I understand where Hasbro is coming from with the idea of simplifying things to reconnect with their target market - but scaling up Cyberverse figures is just tacky! They end up looking worse than their G1 namesakes often! I thought Prime RID struck a great balance of style, simplicity and playability - especially after the overly complex movie lines, Prime First Edition and to a lesser extent Generations. There's no reason they could not have gone further down the route of simplification if they needed to, but with style. So, yeah, big disappointment there, but, then, I had thought the Prime lines were ending anyway.

Oh, and yup, there are stacks of versions of Predaking flying around. If you do need a Beast Hunters version, I'd recommend the Ultimate version - he's nicely detailed and massively imposing. (And he's easy enough for a kid to transform, but it all works nicely.)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Some interesting stuff there - but not all 'interesting' good.

I really love the look of Generations Swerve and Skids (despite the elfish face). Dreadwing is also a much better homage to the G2 figure than the Tokyo Toy Show exclusive (despite nor having Smokescreen or the signature shoulder gatling missile launcher) and I'll probably get him too. Legends Cosmos looks good, but I'm already happy with the Universe 2.0 version - I'm not sure what the need was for another, while other classic characters remain untouched. I could end up picking up the IDW Megatron Origin styled Legends figure in a moment of weakness (I'm currently enjoying reading the comics) but could go either way.

Voyager BW Rhinox looks amazing - very well done. But I really have no interest in Transformers that turn into realistic animals (although invertebrates can work better than vertebrates). Still, well done to the designers. Despite liking Transformers that turn into invertebrates, Waspinator has never really done anything for me.

Generations Doubledealer is awful. I am a big fan of Doubledealer, and would no doubt pick up any homage to him that's half decent, but that thing is not even quarter decent. The mould does not work, no matter how much paint effort is put in (I can see they have tried as much as they can - it's just a stupid idea in the first place that could never work). And, of course, he's missing his signature shoulder missile - what's with everyone missing their shoulder weapons?

And on to Beast Hunters - what a disappointment! The Prime lines have been my favourite Transformers toys ever. Especially RID, but Beast Hunters has been pretty good (well, based on Deluxe Smokescreen, Deluxe Ripclaw and Ultimate Predaking - still awaiting more, and no in to the remoulds). Don't get me wrong, First Edition are amazingly engineered, but they're not much use for kids. So I understand where Hasbro is coming from with the idea of simplifying things to reconnect with their target market - but scaling up Cyberverse figures is just tacky! They end up looking worse than their G1 namesakes often! I thought Prime RID struck a great balance of style, simplicity and playability - especially after the overly complex movie lines, Prime First Edition and to a lesser extent Generations. There's no reason they could not have gone further down the route of simplification if they needed to, but with style. So, yeah, big disappointment there, but, then, I had thought the Prime lines were ending anyway.

Oh, and yup, there are stacks of versions of Predaking flying around. If you do need a Beast Hunters version, I'd recommend the Ultimate version - he's nicely detailed and massively imposing. (And he's easy enough for a kid to transform, but it all works nicely.)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Bluecatcinema
Protoform

Post by Bluecatcinema »

Warcry wrote:You make a tiny little Bludgeon and don't base him on the inner robot? Fuck off!(
To be fair, his Pretender shell was the more commonly seen, and thus, iconic side of him.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

So wait, there's two Whirls coming out now? I was gonna get the other one on principle, but now I don't know... I'll still get that Impactor.

I'm going to have to come back to this thread later and make a little shopping list. I wonder how much of this will be out for my birthday?
I like bears.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Cosmos and Swerve! I'm getting both :D Cosmos was my second TF toy. (Smokescreen being the first) :)

I have to say that I quite like Doubledealer. His color scheme looks great. :up:
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Huh, they painted a shark-face thing on Doubledealer's nosecone. I find this funny.

That and the pretty colours give Doubledealer an A for effort, but the toy still screams 'blue Blitzwing' instead of Doubledealer.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Blackjack wrote:That and the pretty colours give Doubledealer an A for effort, but the toy still screams 'blue Blitzwing' instead of Doubledealer.
You think 'Overcharge' was just too much to ask for? :)

Flywheels might have worked... Overlord/Gigatron as well (not perfectly, but much better than the BotCon version).
Inaction Master

Post by Inaction Master »

I'm also kind of in the camp that Doubledealer looks nice. Not great, but still I'd like to pick him up if I can.

I'm hoping we get to see pics of the prototype Whirl and Tailgate soon. Beast Hunters line was rather disappointing, but still, Deluxe Prowl looks good.