[CUSTOM] ROTF Deluxe Ratchet

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Pun-3X

ROTF Deluxe Ratchet

Post by Pun-3X »

You know, I really like this figure. Yeah, his vehicle mode is lacking, but the robot mode is great. The only issue being very few paint apps. But that's okay, we can fix it. :)

And before it's mentioned, I like transforming his shoulders this way. Much more sightly. Oh, and I don't like pulling the bumper down to fill in his chest. It looks weird, and I tend not to agree with it.

Okay, so before I go into the paint apps I did (and looking at these close-ups, there are a lot of silver portions that didn't get completely covered...) I think everyone needs to know of a simple foot mod they can do with this guy.

Seriously? Swap the feet.

It doesn't do much for the bot-mode, but it's meant for the vehicle mode. This swap puts the hinged back-toe-thingy on the outside of the foot when he's transformed. That way, you can swing it in and not have it stick out under the door.

The other thing you need to do is cut back the side block piece (illustrated below).

Again, being that they're on the outside of the feet in bot-mode, they'll be on the inside when he's transformed. They clank together and push the feet out a bit. Clipping this piece off on both sides creates nicer clearance. Truthfully, it's probably not entirely necessary, but I prefer it.

So, on with the pics! The paint scheme was mostly just by choice. I used images to get an idea of what to do, but there were a few things that I just did on my own. Either because the parts are only on this toy, or I just liked a piece better in a different color. The two metal colors I used were Silver Leaf and Gunmetal.

Legs first:

And upper body. Dry-brushed some gunmetal on his brown-gray parts, with some touches of gold in certain spots to help accent.

Stripped most of the dark metal paint off the face (except in the pits on the sides of his mouth for shadowing). Didn't really apply a whole lot of silver leaf, just his mouth and nose, and then the frames on the sides of his face and brow. I did paint the side panels just to give him a bit more.

And the vehicle mode, which I really didn't do anything with.

But mostly, you can see what I'm talking about. Swapping the feet and cutting those blocks allows you to swivel that one back-toe inward so it's not sticking out. And with the blocks cut, you can push the feet together flush. There's still a lot of junk under there, but at least this resolves one of the nastier aspects.

Easiest to tell in a head-on shot.

And finally, some action shots. And yes, I removed that back-clip thing and attach the gun to his arm using the roof mount. It also fits on Lockdown's arm better this way.

Hope this helps some people appreciate the figure a bit more.